3D Sound and Environmental Effects

Need help installing the mod?
axtroz
Dark Huntress
14 | 5
Hey y'all!

In case you like to play games with sound like I do, perhaps you've wondered why can't you enable the 3D sound and environmental effects.
The reason is because old sound cards had hardware support for these and the majority of current hardware does not provide it.
However, these days our computers are powerful enough to actually be able to emulate this without any drawbacks. The only thing you need is a certain DLL file that will 'tell' the game that your hardware supports 3d sound/EAX and then handle it in the software.
The DLL file I'm talking about is a custom dsound.dll and such a file can be obtained from:

http://www.indirectsound.com/

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affilated with http://www.indirectsound.com/ or its author. I've been running this for a few months and it's been okay for me - no weird network traffic or fps/lag spikes encountered.
If you'd like, you can give it a go - the audio really does make a difference, at least for me!

To install, just unpack dsound.dll and dsound.ini into your Diablo II folder and restart the game - that will enable 3D Sound for you. To enable Environmental Effects, you need to edit dsound.ini with your favourite text editor (notepad works just fine!) and change the line

Code: Select all

eax2 = false
to

Code: Select all

eax2 = true

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and good luck!

See you in Sanctuary!

Best regards,
~~Axtroz
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
ty
Edited by Somnus 5 years.
itsme
Thunder Beetle
55 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Somnus wrote:Doesn't work for me.

If you're using D2SE you'll need to put it in D2SE\CORES\1.13c since that's where D2SE gets its DLLs from.
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
awesome stuff, thanks!

I have to test this, but if it works, it'll be a good addition to the launcher :mrgreen:
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017