Path of Exile

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Big update since last post from old forum.

1. Still leveling my dual-wield ranger to.. challenge requirement (lvl 82?).
2. Found that dried lake is my favourite farming spot at the moment, found couple of decent gears there so far.
3. Main idea for the build was to get generic dual-wield stuff while changing around weapons for decent dps, so far Im using dual decent maces.
4. Thus skill setup changed from frost blade -> ice crash since I noticed how powerful the skill is, frost blade is one very clunky skill
5. One more my decent rare gear is the bringer of rain. Seem like it boosted my dps a lot, so i go with it for now (from 12k + armor -> 18k dps), I still cant clear kaom's dream since lacking resists atm.

GGG really need to change mechanic of some skill / skill triggering. I dont understand why corpse-using skill have freaking large terrible "target acquisition" when using on LMB while frost blade have weird super small targeting range. It couldve "homing" on any target surrounding the click area rather than hitting nothing and failing to trigger 2nd part of the bullet.

No wonder people doesnt like to play melee in PoE, skill triggering is freaking terrible. (this is same problem in median for something like you cant use ground targeting skill on LMB).
We need D2's "auto-melee-cruise" on RMB.

*I believe they didnt make range acquisition less smoother and compromise range /position / direction detection because hacker and some other stuffz.

** I also playing summoner scion, try using bone offering and raise zombie on LMB and compared than using it with melee / range / summon. I know you should put move-only on LMB, but Im not playing hardcore and Im used to spam shift button.
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Yes melee skills where you have to click on each enemy seperately are always horrible in all arpgs. Frost blades falls in that category too. What adds insult to injury is that it's only optimally scaled with physical damage since it has a 60% cold conversion, and the projectile damage nodes on the tree don't benefit the melee hit.

Basically the good melee skills are those that you can shift click to target the ground and work good for aoe and single target. Stuff like cyclone & reave are top tier. Sweep is also very good now with the new arctic armour. Ice crash is borderline. Stay away from frost blades and wild strike.

I actually didn't realise at the time of release, but the new Fortify gem is an insane buff to melee builds. It grants 20% reduced damage from ALL sources - physical, elemental & chaos. Basically a must have for any build. The only question is for softcore if you link it to your main attack (dps loss, but 100% uptime guaranteed) or to your mobility skill - stuff like whirling blades/leap slam (no dps loss, but uptime compromised and it's very risky against bosses and hard hitting champs/rares).
mahitovec
twitch.tv/mahitovec
1799 | 190
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Common Guide Badge
recomend me something nice and strong which is not totem trash/cyclone please. hc, mara/templar if possible
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
You didn't say WDM or caster, but here are some suggestions I know are good:

- Sweep mara: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1325923

- Reave ultra tank mara: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1379951

- EK mara (mine): build And you can check profile for gear & links https://www.pathofexile.com/account/vie ... characters, char name SuchB.

- I also played a ball lightning templar who was really good at the start of Tempest, but didn't get to endgame with him: build
Links: ball lightning - spell echo - lightning pen - critical damage - added lightning damage using herald of thunder aura with curse on hit assasin's mark & manual cast enfeeble.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Feel stupid after i realized that my summoner idea was better build as witch..

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AA ... rEzLz31025

Idea was:
1. 3 builds for warband league, ranger, templar and scion
2. Ranger melee, btm right
3. Templar top left, focus on spell + aoe
3. Scion.... something easy to play with MF gear, hopefully cross skill tree from mara toward shadow
4. Then realized all minion skill nodes is situated at witch ...
5. Started scion because want to try 3x jewel node near her starting position

Now I either have to :
1. Ditch minion + curse + aura and add some active skill to deal damage / or add spell totem
2. Stick to original idea by deleting current char (still only lvl 12), trying to build hybrid mara / shadow stuff.
3. Hybrid minion + shield + necromantic aegis stuff

need some idea, im getting bored quickly when grinding same map over and over :(
hellgrind
Mangler
458 | 21
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Go for Leap slam maruder :)
mahitovec
twitch.tv/mahitovec
1799 | 190
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Common Guide Badge
i think ill try reave build, but why its "ultra tank"? and i need leveling tips
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
Because it stacks massive amounts of armour (35k+) & 7 endurance charges (21% additional reduced physical damage) & Fortify gem & you have shield block. It's basically the tankiest build I've seen vs physical damage (which is the main killer with the a4 mobs).

As for levelling, grab a sword and reave? If you're on tempest add me and I can throw some levelling gear your way if you want.
Borgin
Stygian Watcher
42 | 3
I've heard that claws are "the" weapon for Reave, as the life on hit is absurd once you get high attack speed. I've never done a Reave build myself, but I would use a claw, personally.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Regaining life is not a problem, at least for evasion build.
Clearing ASAP is more important.

Seem like people go with sword because it seem have good "%dmg per skill points" ratio for ranger reaver.
Then there is south-paw build which use combination of sword + mace/axe in offhand.
At least that it is all what i understand from ZiggyD's build here:

I dun use reave much since I find Icecrash solve my aoe problem (when i was mainly using frostblade) for now.
But I havent tried any lvl 70 map, so dont take my feedback 100%.