Question about the potential for Median XL Sigma

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
DreadReaper
Fallen
1 | 0
It doesn't really seem to clearly state this anywhere, but if I'm wrong please guide me to the answer!

With Sigma would it be possible to exchange the art and models with full 3D HD ones instead? basically I'm wondering if this will allow a complete graphical overhaul of the game? i think that's one of the biggest downsides to median in general is outdated graphics and i like to dream :)

thanks for any info
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
DreadReaper wrote:It doesn't really seem to clearly state this anywhere, but if I'm wrong please guide me to the answer!

With Sigma would it be possible to exchange the art and models with full 3D HD ones instead? basically I'm wondering if this will allow a complete graphical overhaul of the game? i think that's one of the biggest downsides to median in general is outdated graphics and i like to dream :)

thanks for any info

I seriously doubt that. It would require the whole engine to be re-written. And in that case you could just create a new game with a new engine. That would be less time-consuming.

But even if that was to be implemented, there'd probably nobody in the world who'd like to do something as extravagant as completely remodeling the whole game. As of now, there's one method to create the required templates. There are tools and guides for that on frozen keep. I once read on frozen keep, that there are less than 100 people in the whole world who are capable of using those tools to create new templates for diablo 2. One of them is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAfQko ... vYWHWR8GWw

But he does this only to get a profit from the already poor mod-makers, who mod as their hobby. If you're willing to pay him, sure we can get many new models. But just look at the time between his uploads. It'll take too much time to completely remodel everything.

But, I can be wrong of course, so don't take my words for granted.
Taem
Necrobot
2471 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I was clicking links from that guys page watching random DII videos and saw this and lol'd... almost everyone immediately recognized those assets as being from MXL: Sigma! Wow, there is a HUGE fan base waiting for Sigma to be released, probably a ton of people not even registered on these forums! Insane. See the comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPPG3WtY8kQ
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Actually there are other mods that use assets from Baldur's gate etc. And there are mods that have a total menu overhaul and high-res as a standard setting like Le Royaume des Ombres. I expect Sigma will have a similar 'new feel' like that last mod I mentioned when it comes to a redesigned skin. Also, mods like Reign of Shadow have little skill icons when you're cursed and buffed, so a lot is possible.

But full 3D HD models.... I guess the engine won't allow that :)
Dandy
Vampiress
38 | 1
Taem wrote:I was clicking links from that guys page watching random DII videos and saw this and lol'd... almost everyone immediately recognized those assets as being from MXL: Sigma! Wow, there is a HUGE fan base waiting for Sigma to be released, probably a ton of people not even registered on these forums! Insane. See the comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPPG3WtY8kQ

You are right. Also lot of people interested in SP (imo the superior version).
UnDrac
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
Muilpeer wrote:Actually there are other mods that use assets from Baldur's gate etc. And there are mods that have a total menu overhaul and high-res as a standard setting like Le Royaume des Ombres. I expect Sigma will have a similar 'new feel' like that last mod I mentioned when it comes to a redesigned skin. Also, mods like Reign of Shadow have little skill icons when you're cursed and buffed, so a lot is possible.

But full 3D HD models.... I guess the engine won't allow that :)

Full 3D HD Models might be impossible, but projecting that 3D model onto 2D Sprites maintaining the same layers could be possible.

What others ask isn't really a GFX improvement to the 2D plane of the game, it's changing the "Rendering" from a flat 2D plane to a full 3D one, that won't be possible without replicating the game core mechanics in a different engine that allows rendering in full 3D, sadly, the game itself relies on the current rendering scheme for most of the mechanics and would be almost impossible to "Convert" what currently is there, would be better to just Redo the entire thing in a new engine with new assets (becomes a separate game by then) and would take far too long for any meaningful improvement (nobody really wants it, we're just fantesizing about what it would be like).

However ... Since it is a 2D Top-Down Isometric view ... Maybe making only the character/monster models 3D could be done as there's plenty of games that use the 2.5D scheme (2.5 actually just stands for midway between 2D and 3D where either the background OR The entities are 2D or 3D, not both)

On some of those, the background is 2D (Ground, Buildings, random doodads) But made in high resolution textures filling in as much detail as they can, and the Interactables (NPCs, Objects) are 3D, but are rendered almost bidimensional (projected onto a flat 2D plane then rendered on top of the background or behind it in some cases like trees or fence/building with the occasional fading of the background to see your character) This might actually be possible, but would require extensive work to Convert all 3D models into 2D sprites (those games don't need to do this as they only need to project the 3D model onto a 2D texture) so even this, might not be worth it just to improve visuals.

TL:DR - There's far too much "Investment" Required for such an idea to be implemented, and you may not like what you get at the end.
skrig
Balrog
128 | 0
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Look up salaries of 3D modellers (leave alone animators), and think if that kind of funds can be raised at this point... Yes, that is it :mrgreen:
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Nice necro.

On topic, some of the appeal/charm to me personally and to many others on diablo 2 is the way it looks regardless on how outdated it is by today's standards so personally i'd be 100% against changing the potato models we have on it.