Why can't I play with the rest of you?

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Celestialray
Gravedigger
192 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Glamdring26 wrote:
Celestialray wrote:You're talking to an ex professional dota 2 player and someone who can complete path of exile's whole endgame 1 week into a new league. I'm pretty sure my intelligence is in a good place, gaming related.

OH NO NO NO

4chan is not here, incel

On topic: A game being arpg doesn't necessarily imply it having drawn out mechanics like purify. In fact, most arpg games (if not, all) tend to emphasize the action part rather than the rpg one. Diablo 2 is pretty outdated when it comes to this concept. For example, diablo 2 has locked chests, 95% chance to hit max (based on D&D roll concept), stamina and some other stuff. Things like this have been abandoned by most new generation arpg like torchlight, path of exile etc. If you were to make a case for purify being more RPG, then I can say it's even more extreme than the existence of stamina. Doesn't have to be a bad thing though.
Glamdring26
Core Lord
352 | 33
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Melatonina wrote:
Glamdring26 wrote:Can you even read what i just quoted there?

"My opinions are facts, if you disagree you are butthurt" -Pepeg

It's not an opinion, yeah its facts and you just dont know what you're talking bout sonny.

"But my Scrubmagazine says its best ARPG of 96" -Kevin

How do you think people catogorize games? If the DEVELOPER of the game says its an RPG, then its an RPG. Who are you arguing with?

And yes you are just throwing your opinions, none of them can be qualified by "facts"
Glamdring26
Core Lord
352 | 33
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Celestialray wrote:
Glamdring26 wrote:
Celestialray wrote:You're talking to an ex professional dota 2 player and someone who can complete path of exile's whole endgame 1 week into a new league. I'm pretty sure my intelligence is in a good place, gaming related.

OH NO NO NO

4chan is not here, incel

On topic: A game being arpg doesn't necessarily imply it having drawn out mechanics like purify. In fact, most arpg games (if not, all) tend to emphasize the action part rather than the rpg one. Diablo 2 is pretty outdated when it comes to this concept. For example, diablo 2 has locked chests, 95% chance to hit max (based on D&D roll concept), stamina and some other stuff. Things like this have been abandoned by most new generation arpg like torchlight, path of exile etc. If you were to make a case for purify being more RPG, then I can say it's even more extreme than the existence of stamina. Doesn't have to be a bad thing though.

I dont use 4chan, and how is the insult "incel" have anything to do with here?

Im not defending purify being a "RPG" mechanic. Im simply saying the game is an RPG game, even though some "argues" otherwise.

Im defending purify being a "balance" mechanic. Every build in the game shines at something but probably sucks at another thing. Since this is the case, some ubers are really hard to balance around. Therefore, purify forces everyone to use the same mechanic, hence gives a perfect balance to that uber.

Example being Uldyssian. Old uldy used to be a purify boss, and every char had no trouble doing it, it just took some time like half an hour and it was a fun fight. Now its not a purify boss anymore. Ranged/caster chars kill him under 7 minutes, while melee chars cannot kill him within 1 hour. Why this happened? Because people bitched "hurr durr i have all best in slot gear why i cant oneshot bosses like poe". And now its near damn imposible for a melee char but piss easy as a ranged/caster char.

Now imagine what would happen to every purify uber, if they removed purify from the game.

Purify is an easy solution to balance these ubers, sure its not an optimal solution, but it is solid enough to give developers much needed time to focus on other things instead of balancing every uber every patch.
Melatonina
Banned
108 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Glamdring26 wrote:
Melatonina wrote:
Glamdring26 wrote:Can you even read what i just quoted there?

"My opinions are facts, if you disagree you are butthurt" -Pepeg

It's not an opinion, yeah its facts and you just dont know what you're talking bout sonny.

"But my Scrubmagazine says its best ARPG of 96" -Kevin

How do you think people catogorize games? If the DEVELOPER of the game says its an RPG, then its an RPG. Who are you arguing with?

And yes you are just throwing your opinions, none of them can be qualified by "facts"

WIkipedia hasnt developped diablo license bro, but thanks for trying though

"Example being Uldyssian. Old uldy used to be a purify boss, and every char had no trouble doing it, it just took some time like half an hour and it was a fun fight. "

Maybe it's fun for autists to do the same boring thing over and over for like 30 or more straight minutes, but for normal people it isn't
Edited by Melatonina 4 years.
nofurylion
Balrog
125 | 2
Celestialray
Gravedigger
192 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
That's because it's not about purify, but rather how the bosses are designed. Uldyssian is poorly designed. Surely you can make him fair for melee characters while keeping ranged characters on their toes as well without the need of purify.

Firstly, he summons way too many edyrems. This is a dps check to test your clearing speed before they overwhelm you. This doesn't work well against melee characters because they hit like trucks and will put you in hit recovery animation until you die (probably). Reduce the amount of edyrems spawned.

Secondly, he teleports way too much when hit. Melee characters have a hard time keeping up and they can barely hit the guy before he teleports. What's that shit about? I never understood the need for it. It just favors ranged characters.

And probably get rid of his slow or nerf it since ranged characters can easily play against that, while melee characters will always be slowed. Also, make his stun nova be a cooldown ability rather than him casting it whenever you get in his melee range since again this is an anti melee mechanic for the sake of it.

Now that he's tuned down, buff what he does which doesn't discriminate against either melee or ranged. For example, his flower deathstrike can increase in frequency to keep you on your toes. I'm sure there are other aspects that can be improved which will not discriminate so heavily against melee characters, but saying purify is a need to balance bosses is bonkers.

Path of exile did a good job with uber elder/shaper, regardless of how much you hate it. It doesn't discriminate against certain builds (afaik). Sure, they may be too easy, but that's another problem.

Glamdring26 wrote:"hurr durr i have all best in slot gear why i cant oneshot bosses like poe"

And how's that a bad thing in an arpg, exactly? We spend 95% of the gameplay farming for items just for those to barely count in certain bossfights? Besides, you need extremely expensive gear to be able to oneshot bosses, even 120 level ones that aren't purify fights.
Glamdring26
Core Lord
352 | 33
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Melatonina wrote:Maybe it's fun for autists to do the same boring thing over and over for like 30 or more straight minutes, but for normal people it isn't

If you check the sources on the bottom side of the page, you can get to the actual source instead of calling it "wikipedia". The more you learn.

According to your logic, then you are always doing the same thing over and over. For example i am playing holy melee paladin. Im binding my left click to divine judgement and left click monsters until they die. However it is not stupid or boring since it is stupid to simplify something as "same boring thing over and over for like 30 or more straight minutes".

If im trying to kill uldyssian, then im going in dodging the skills he uses and trying to hit him with my left click, if its a purify boss, i do the same except i use purify on left click instead. How these 2 scenarios any different? Please further explain.
Glamdring26
Core Lord
352 | 33
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Celestialray wrote:That's because it's not about purify, but rather how the bosses are designed. Uldyssian is poorly designed. Surely you can make him fair for melee characters while keeping ranged characters on their toes as well without the need of purify.

Firstly, he summons way too many edyrems. This is a dps check to test your clearing speed before they overwhelm you. This doesn't work well against melee characters because they hit like trucks and will put you in hit recovery animation until you die (probably). Reduce the amount of edyrems spawned.

Secondly, he teleports way too much when hit. Melee characters have a hard time keeping up and they can barely hit the guy before he teleports. What's that shit about? I never understood the need for it. It just favors ranged characters.

And probably get rid of his slow or nerf it since ranged characters can easily play against that, while melee characters will always be slowed. Also, make his stun nova be a cooldown ability rather than him casting it whenever you get in his melee range since again this is an anti melee mechanic for the sake of it.

Now that he's tuned down, buff what he does which doesn't discriminate against either melee or ranged. For example, his flower deathstrike can increase in frequency to keep you on your toes. I'm sure there are other aspects that can be improved which will not discriminate so heavily against melee characters, but saying purify is a need to balance bosses is bonkers.

Path of exile did a good job with uber elder/shaper, regardless of how much you hate it. It doesn't discriminate against certain builds (afaik). Sure, they may be too easy, but that's another problem.

Glamdring26 wrote:"hurr durr i have all best in slot gear why i cant oneshot bosses like poe"

And how's that a bad thing in an arpg, exactly? We spend 95% of the gameplay farming for items just for those to barely count in certain bossfights? Besides, you need extremely expensive gear to be able to oneshot bosses, even 120 level ones that aren't purify fights.

Your points about fixing the uldy might be valid, but thats not the issue. You are clearly not reading my posts deep enough.

I am saying that purify is a lazy but effective way of balancing stuff. Sure it is not optimal and a lot of changes might make that uber very balanced across all chars, but that will take immense effort and time which the developers doesnt have. Imagine them trying to balance all purify ubers at every patch(because every patch there are some changes that will effect the balance of that uber, for example tree reworks). Therefore it is ureasonable to ask "Why not just remove all purify mechanics and balance them properly".

Regarding poe, i dont hate anything about poe. I love the game as much as i love median. But they are perticularly good at 2 different things. Poe have an excellent farming mechanism that you can just farm days on end and not get bored, while median has really interesting and diverse uberbosses that requires different mechanics. You can just go and kill shaper within 0.5 seconds and thats fine under poe standards, since the game is heavily balanced around farming. But you cannot go and kill uldy within 30 seconds and call that balanced because the game's main premise is the uberbosses it has. If you kill them in 30 seconds then there is not much to do in the game. So you have to balance them to be hard but also balanced across all chars, which is a really hard job as i told before.