Can I ask why multilog is not allowed?

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Jakkt
Rust Claw
85 | 7
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Well, a lot of the changes coming in the Core are going to shape the way this game is played. A lot of the reason for disallowing use of multi-logging will become a problem of the past. No more equipment loss means that now the Uber difficulty can be ramped up and infinite-town portal creations will be effortless regardless.
Also, in terms of experience or item drops, I don't think that there's sufficient enough problems with either of those issues to warrant concern.
With respect to your plight, you have to understand that you're battling the concept of a thin white-line of "cheating" to a group of players that have played this Mod since it's birth. We don't extend to the idea that you're incapable of finding a way to level quickly and efficiently without the use of multi-instances - because we ourselves have the effort to do without. I think more than you know, the rules are set in place to protect users. Much like Heathen said in his first post and without inclusion of many other reasons, it's to protect a community of users that don't want to see inflation, multi-logged 8 player runs of 120 Paladins, etc. etc.
So, if you wanted a defined argument for a reason against it, it's simply because as a community - or for most of the players I know - we just don't want it.
I can honestly say with how lazy I am, regardless of the circumstance, I don't want to continually login to servers mass populated by one player. Just remember, multi-logging is a ban-able offense in the original D2 - if anyone remembers, you had to literally open a game, wait 5-7 minutes and then drop your shit and hope it didn't disappear - so, I'm personally thankful that we're allowed to mule safely. Above and beyond that, be thankful there's still an online community able to give you dedicated reasons why NOT to allow this feature and quit arguing it. You're not the first.
Enigma
Heretic
409 | 17
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Jakkt wrote:Well, a lot of the changes coming in the Core are going to shape the way this game is played. A lot of the reason for disallowing use of multi-logging will become a problem of the past. No more equipment loss means that now the Uber difficulty can be ramped up and infinite-town portal creations will be effortless regardless.
Also, in terms of experience or item drops, I don't think that there's sufficient enough problems with either of those issues to warrant concern.
With respect to your plight, you have to understand that you're battling the concept of a thin white-line of "cheating" to a group of players that have played this Mod since it's birth. We don't extend to the idea that you're incapable of finding a way to level quickly and efficiently without the use of multi-instances - because we ourselves have the effort to do without. I think more than you know, the rules are set in place to protect users. Much like Heathen said in his first post and without inclusion of many other reasons, it's to protect a community of users that don't want to see inflation, multi-logged 8 player runs of 120 Paladins, etc. etc.
So, if you wanted a defined argument for a reason against it, it's simply because as a community - or for most of the players I know - we just don't want it.
I can honestly say with how lazy I am, regardless of the circumstance, I don't want to continually login to servers mass populated by one player. Just remember, multi-logging is a ban-able offense in the original D2 - if anyone remembers, you had to literally open a game, wait 5-7 minutes and then drop your shit and hope it didn't disappear - so, I'm personally thankful that we're allowed to mule safely. Above and beyond that, be thankful there's still an online community able to give you dedicated reasons why NOT to allow this feature and quit arguing it. You're not the first.

Well put. Though multi-logging itself wasn't illegal for any purpose in D2. You were entitled to log in, specifically, with as many different accounts as you wanted as long as you had a cd-key for each one. I never dropped items to mule them in D2, rather preferring to get an extra cd-key (sometimes quite a few extra ones) for muling.

I'm a MXL player who has always thought that the admins are a little ban happy over stuff that doesn't really matter (as far as I can tell) but, to be fair, it's probably better to err on the side of caution and guarantee the health of the community than to be too liberal and introduce risk as well as increase the likelihood of requiring wholesale changes down the track to fix something that's being exploited.
Milkshake
Abomination
142 | 17
Common Popularity Badge
A big counter to most arguments would be to still limit people to only 2 logins.
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Fumbles
Tantrum changes fan
1412 | 183
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Milkshake wrote:A big counter to most arguments would be to still limit people to only 2 logins.

Did you not read Marco's post? Specifically the parts about tp holding, buffs and xp/drop increases?
Jakkt
Rust Claw
85 | 7
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Enigma wrote:
Jakkt wrote:Well, a lot of the changes coming in the Core are going to shape the way this game is played. A lot of the reason for disallowing use of multi-logging will become a problem of the past. No more equipment loss means that now the Uber difficulty can be ramped up and infinite-town portal creations will be effortless regardless.

Well put. Though multi-logging itself wasn't illegal for any purpose in D2. You were entitled to log in, specifically, with as many different accounts as you wanted as long as you had a cd-key for each one. I never dropped items to mule them in D2, rather preferring to get an extra cd-key (sometimes quite a few extra ones) for muling.

I'm a MXL player who has always thought that the admins are a little ban happy over stuff that doesn't really matter (as far as I can tell) but, to be fair, it's probably better to err on the side of caution and guarantee the health of the community than to be too liberal and introduce risk as well as increase the likelihood of requiring wholesale changes down the track to fix something that's being exploited.

I don't remember there being a specific tool to utilize multi-logging. Regardless of CD-keys, I think most often if you would try to start multiple instances of D2, you would get an error such as "Only one instance of Diablo II:LoD is allowed" or something. And so, the invention of multi-logging tools was created but if I remember correctly, there were bans issued for them. Though, I could be wrong.

Also, the community is what helps fund, immerse and push the game forward into it's continuing stages of development.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Milkshake wrote:No arguments against stopping plvling/rushing yourself from what I can see. Only support for circumventing an obvious ease. I understand the sentiment for drop rates, but I think that is misplaced as well.

Nah bro, you get it all wrong. I didn't even intend to give arguments, because I think Marco did a pretty good job already at giving arguments. It's weird that you completely skipped his post and replied to mine...

What I was trying was helping you deal with the current situation: Either name your games in an appropriate way and sooner or later someone will join your game, (i mean my game was named "startagain"... not even correctly spelled) or just wait for the next patch (which should release in about 1 month +- 2 weeks depending on how well it all goes).

And btw. you don't have to create 3 chars or more.
evil_potato
Mangler
458 | 51
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard and they're like
"stop m8. it's over."
Milkshake
Abomination
142 | 17
Common Popularity Badge
Fumbles wrote:
Milkshake wrote:A big counter to most arguments would be to still limit people to only 2 logins.

Did you not read Marco's post? Specifically the parts about tp holding, buffs and xp/drop increases?

TP holding.. christ are you guys serious? That is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. Best case scenario, it saves you a little bit of time in the event that you die. Nothing stops a friend of yours from doing the exact same thing right now.

Exp/drop increase is negligible at 2 players.

Buffs are the only semi-legitimate reason to not implement a any-use multilog with a limit of 2.

HechtHeftig wrote:
Milkshake wrote:What I was trying was helping you deal with the current situation: Either name your games in an appropriate way and sooner or later someone will join your game, (i mean my game was named "startagain"... not even correctly spelled) or just wait for the next patch (which should release in about 1 month +- 2 weeks depending on how well it all goes).

So rather than allowing people to help themselves, your solution is "hope someone assists me!" or "wait for a better time". This mod is fun, but this one rule makes the server lackluster. Hell, even Slash Diablo allows 4 connections for whatever reason.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Milkshake wrote:
Fumbles wrote:

TP holding.. christ are you guys serious? That is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. Best case scenario, it saves you a little bit of time in the event that you die. Nothing stops a friend of yours from doing the exact same thing right now.

Exp/drop increase is negligible at 2 players.

Buffs are the only semi-legitimate reason to not implement a any-use multilog with a limit of 2.

with tp holding you can beat ubers you can't beat otherwise.

exp/drop increase is not neglectable. on /players 2 you get 150% exp in total. so 50% more than if you played alone. Don't tell me that's neglectable.

while /players doesn't affect how good the drops will roll, it does affect how many items drop. BUT if you're unpartied, then only every 2nd additional player drops more items, so you'd need /players 3 to gain more items. But that's no problem because you can simply party with yourself, gaining more items than you would on /players 1.

Source: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Player_Settings (I doubt there have been changes to the /players option)

btw. you don't have to play on the server if you don't want to. Sp does have its advantages: no lagg, the option to cheat all you want without anyone noticing, offline tools which gives your character all wp's for free... and the option to rush yourself.