Jetaman's Animations (3d conversions from Elder Scrolls)

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Inertia
Abomination
141 | 72
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active collaborator / developer
D3 models seem to look surprisingly good rendered in D2. GJ!

@Jetaman Have you tried to split your animations yet due to size?
Jetaman
Bone Archer
74 | 41
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Inertia wrote:D3 models seem to look surprisingly good rendered in D2. GJ!

@Jetaman Have you tried to split your animations yet due to size?

No, I haven't. If the model is not split in the first place, doing it by hand is extremely tedious and sloppy. D2 animation layers are not a problem to me at all, but I found that sometimes it looks crappy when you split the model where it wasn't supposed to be split. On the screenshot Azmodan is 320x240 size. I will try to see how much farther the CV5 will allow to go.

Segolia wrote:Sick work by the way. Get a cookie.

This might sound a little too paranoid of me but i dont want to look at a possible scenario where blizz gets wind of d3 models in median and C&D's it because of that. They pretty much dont care about D2 but D3 stuff in other people mods might trigger them, i mean its Blizzard we're talking about here idk. I suppose worse comes to worse and median goes back to D2 models ofc but yeah.

It's sad but very possible. It's illegal to distribute it in technicality, but it's ignored usually until money is made off of it. See for example; Diablo II realms, or the infinity engine assets. I find it hilarious that Phozen Keep still bans any mention of realms, but yet they promote the use of the infinity engine sprites, which unless they do have rights (in which case please do prove me wrong, I tried looking and couldn't find such proof), it's hilariously ironic.

I don't think that's possible because there's a huge community of people who use D3 models in Starcraft mods for a long time.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Thats good to hear then. At least they allow use of their content within their other content. I was a bit concerned because blizz a couple of years ago had been hitting Dota 2 hard by forcing Valve to make various changes to Dota, such as changing Windrunner's name to Windranger, Necrolyte to Necrophos, and the running joke of the various names of Outworld Devourer (previously Obsidian Destroyer, and many more by the community). I'm a bit surprised they hadn't got them to remove the "Aaaaah, fresh meat!" line from pudge. They did however stitch him up so that you don't see his insides. From the sounds of it though, there wasn't any lawsuit, but more of a "change these things pretty please or we will have to sue you guys."

Copyrights are tricky man. Regardless, keep up the work, it's fantastic!
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
@Jetaman: i thought limit for a dcc was 256x256?

@Segolia: what's all the copyright drama? this is basically d3 assets in d2. With that logic you could say median then is illegal because there's a butcher sprite from d1... as long as median is free to play, this is fair use.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Marco wrote:@Segolia: what's all the copyright drama? this is basically d3 assets in d2. With that logic you could say median then is illegal because there's a butcher sprite from d1... as long as median is free to play, this is fair use.

Not entirely drama, I'm just too concerned about lawsuits. Perhaps I'm too paranoid about it admittedly.

There is fair use, and there is technically situations that are viable to be S&Ded at any moment if companies want to bother spending the money in a lawyer to say something is not allowed, most often happening if it would make them believe if there is the possibility of losing money in the market. My previous example was from another game that makes a profit, but then there are situations where companies just say no, whether or not logically there is a potential sales loss. Like the Lord of the Rings Skyrim mod shut down by Warner Brothers, or World of Warcraft Vanilla servers being shut down by Blizzard.. Both have not made or intended to make a profit.

Reading about the laws of copyright and the lawsuits is kinda fun but also scary. Again I'm just paranoid, so don't mind me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i thought limit for a dcc was 256x256?

I think you can use the limb system to create over-sized enemies right? Like one half of a Frost Giant is the "body" and the other half is the "head"?
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Well sure we discussed about that World of Warcraft shutdown with the team, but sb brought a good point which is basically the players that are playing there are loss of profit for blizzard since they are not on their official server which has a monthly subscription fee.

D2 mods require diablo 2 to be installed - so if anything, d2 modding scene increases revenue for blizz.
Grinch
Cog
215 | 8
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Marco wrote:Well sure we discussed about that World of Warcraft shutdown with the team, but sb brought a good point which is basically the players that are playing there are loss of profit for blizzard since they are not on their official server which has a monthly subscription fee.

D2 mods require diablo 2 to be installed - so if anything, d2 modding scene increases revenue for blizz.

Also, the WoW project got warned some times from Blizzard before they took actions against them. One of the reason were also, that one of the biggest hack development team were testing there products on this servers. I discussed with Seltsamuel about this some weeks ago and he meant that Blizzard never stepped into action not even in times of d2maniacs, wich got advertised in the blizzard forum during there "good" years of d2. If u don't start to host D2 to make profit or start sharing illegal Diablo 2 copys, everything should be fine.
Inertia
Abomination
141 | 72
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Contribution Badge
@jetaman Well I figure you can use Photoshop automation to split each frame in half and then use cv5 to make 2 separate .dccs and change the offsets so they fit together. Yes it's much more work, but it's useful if your animations are too big and crash the game. I haven't tried this yet, but I'll have to for some of my boss animations.

@dcc size
AFAIK the .DCC size limit has to do with pixel count (64k I think) so you could have higher width or height than 256 as long as you decrease the other dimension. This limit might also have to do with how the .gif was saved but I'm not sure.
Jetaman
Bone Archer
74 | 41
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Inertia wrote:@jetaman Well I figure you can use Photoshop automation to split each frame in half and then use cv5 to make 2 separate .dccs and change the offsets so they fit together. Yes it's much more work, but it's useful if your animations are too big and crash the game. I haven't tried this yet, but I'll have to for some of my boss animations.

@dcc size
AFAIK the .DCC size limit has to do with pixel count (64k I think) so you could have higher width or height than 256 as long as you decrease the other dimension. This limit might also have to do with how the .gif was saved but I'm not sure.

I'm not good with Photoshop and I don't know if what you say is true about pixel count, but I always double the first frame and use 1 instead of 0 as a starting frame in CV5 and it allows me to have bigger size dcc's.
Inertia
Abomination
141 | 72
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Contribution Badge
Jetaman wrote:
Inertia wrote:@jetaman Well I figure you can use Photoshop automation to split each frame in half and then use cv5 to make 2 separate .dccs and change the offsets so they fit together. Yes it's much more work, but it's useful if your animations are too big and crash the game. I haven't tried this yet, but I'll have to for some of my boss animations.

@dcc size

I'm not good with Photoshop and I don't know if what you say is true about pixel count, but I always double the first frame and use 1 instead of 0 as a starting frame in CV5 and it allows me to have bigger size dcc's.

I believe that is because CV5 has a glitch with the first frame of animations (and the last in some cases). I think it messes up the transparency so the game renders the entire canvas rather than just the sprite, so the animations exceeds the buffer limit and the game crashes. I'm really not 100% on any of that though lol. That being said, I use the same method as you in CV5 and some of my animations still crash due to buffer limit.