What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
The long waited best anime for 2019?

Do i still need to say the title? Ok fine. It is Kimetsu no Yaiba, known as Demon Slayer.

Before we begin, you really need to know about ufotable, which is a well known studio for lavish high budget production, especially on fighting scene, especially usage of combining dynamic camera work with CGI background. So I pretty much can expect what type of anime this will be. Is the anime really ground breaking in many aspect? Not exactly, but it have several strengths especially on anime production quality.

Anime started very strong for first couple of episodes, but i feel like because it following the manga directly, it suffered a problem where it ended at the part of what i considered not the strongest. The series also used several aspect of ending an episode in cliffhanger, making viewer wanting to watch newest episode ASAP. Since I binged this whole series in 24 hours, i noticed the "stretching of episodes" many times through the series. As for characters, all MC, support character as well as villains are very interesting as they have their own backstory. Im however, not a fan of many of comedy moment though, as i found them annoying (you know what i meant when you watch them). Oh, i forgot to mention, that this oni (demon) blood storyline is pretty much carbon copy of many vampire story.

This series is a good series because of high anime production, it is pretty much follow the pattern of traditional shounen without dragging them to hundred of episodes. I highly recommend it, although personally i dont think it deserved all praises (but mostly it suffer for having only 26 episodes)

Alternative : Hunter x Hunter & Tokyo Ghoul is the closest i feel when watching this series. Other recommendation without any particular order : Ao no Exorcist, Owari no Seraph.... and seriously all those long running shounen you probably already watched.

EDITED 6 hours after first post.

Awkward sister with bunch of lolis

Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me

Do you like marshmallow? This is the exactly the feeling of having anime around you. I searched specifically for shoujo ai / yuri, i go for lighthearted lolis instead of heavy drama romance. And i dont disappoint. As usual fan for cute girl doing cute things, this is the typical several friends of girls doing normal stuff in school, at friends house and hang out outside. Does it break the mold and introduce something new? Not really.

A different is probably that there is one older sister is that problem being with society (more like introvert) who find a joy suddenly met his younger sister classmates. With her hobby of creating costume for cosplay, i think you can guess why she so hyped up to see cute little girls. Throughout the series, we are introduced to more of her sister friends and she having a blast when everyone of them coming their house. Aside from typical stuff throughout the series, i believe that the last episodes is one of the most beautiful story done for this kind of anime.

Again, if you hate lolis, you wouldnt enjoy this. Not exactly designed for people who are against it. Although quality wise, i feel it is just cute anime that slightly above average that bring joy to watch.

Alternative : For this one, i probably focused more comedy / fun CGDCT anime such as Kiniro Mosaic, Yuru Yuri, Non Non Biyori, Gochumon wa Usagi desu. Anything else, i guess probably something with older character like Usa Maid & Ichigo Marshmallow.

EDITED 13 hours after previous edit

Love triangle in one family?

This is one heavy super duper plot twist I seen in anime. I have to spoilt first episode abit, so you can judge if you wanted to see it or not. It started by our MC having sex with random girl because of unrequited love. This love that MC have, is actually with his teacher, which have some encounter on the roof. So the plot twist part? His father getting remarried, and he got 2 new sisters which is one is the teacher, and random girls she have sex with was his step sister. Anime focus heavily on drama on how would a realistic human handle this kind of relationship.

Despite being typical "loser" MC, at least at this point he is being realistic. He tried to get other girlfriend to keep his mind off, but he just cant take off his love for the teacher. His sister, being social awkward, is trying to use love / sex as a way to understand human communication. As for other part of the series, there are several support characters that is quite weak IMO. Artstyle is pretty basic because this is just normal standard drama / romance anime. Nevertheless it was quite a wild ride.

Depend if you can handle this kind of step siblings love, but i do recommend you to try because it is more emphasize on drama rather than going full ecchi like many other do. Despite I mentioned about sex earlier, none was shown so it is pretty safe. However do take note that this series is pretty slow for most people.

Alternative : Oh boy, this type of triangle i havent watch for awhile, but on top my head atm are : Scum's Wish, School Days, Ichigo 100% (abit ecchi though), Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Suzuka, Fuuka.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Small update, no new anime since im POE-ing for 24/7.

Watching some top anime of the year on youtube:

I think now i have several anime that I can binge once im done with POE
I think i watched like 1/7 of it already.
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Fate Grand Order – Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia

Seeing it's Fate I started watching with very low expectations, but it actually starts out really good. Mash is a good MC and even the side characters like Marisbury are well done and interesting. Plot is confusing since it's a jump in timeline but you can fill in the blanks and even the premise is interesting with time travel.

Unfortunately the show is unable to maintain it's episode 0-1 quality onwards and starts to decline rapidly by introducing either retarded or annoying characters including all the villains. Doesn't help gilgamesh is back (even though he now has extended vocabulary).

In the end the only reason to keep watching this show is Mash and 11/10 sound effects. Zannenna.
Crafty
Fallen
1 | 0
Code Geass. I play 50 freispiele ohne einzahlung whan I don't watch it. I have time!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Chaos in space

Title : Kanata no Astra

If the picture + space drama interested you, then you better go watch since i have to spoil the story abit. When I was searching for anime, im specifically searching for any long dreaded space drama / thriller that could fit several itch i have. However the overall tones of this story is pretty mild to be honest, it feel like typical shounen anime where the main goals is survival. You replace the story world which any other genre, and it will still work.

Main points of the story at beginning was mystery where our main characters are thrown into space. All the kids (more like teenager) have to work together to survive in hostile space world in order to fly back to their world. So it pretty much go like usually standalone episodes pretty much earlier part of the season. The episodes always ended in a bit cliffhanger, made you really wanted to know how the story unfold. Without spoiling much, lets just there is big conspiracy throughout the series which is nicely reveal in the end.

Is the anime good? It depend, to me it feel like it have too much shounen feeling and lacked the mysterious / survival stuff. Story could be more awesome if it go for more gritty science fiction, but at the end it still awesome series to watch. One of the best anime with wrapped up ending.

Alternative : For closest feeling anime when I watching this are The Promised Neverland & Rokka no Yuusha. Personally, if you wanted to see more gritty style anime, then Infinite no Ryvius. Last similarity of anime about "bunch of friends" trapped in harsh situation, Darling in Franxx and Kiznaiver should fit the criteria.

EDITED 17 hours after first posted

Viking & Thor but without magic.

Im will be honest that I heard how overhyped this anime are, despite production pretty good, i just couldnt see the main focus on this anime. If you saw this poster anime poster anywhere else, it seem like it is a simple transformation main protagonist from timid, weak to ultimate badassery, but this isnt the case here. While we follow our MC a lot in the beginning, it became less focused on in the middle part as our MC is just a cog in the bigger wheel of the world. For sure, it gritty and dark like what i wanted, but it feel like sometimes it felt directionless.

If I wanted to list the main part I loved about this series, it is probably the side characters, main political / war undertones, the dark realistic horror of war & death in battlefield, as well as intriguing adult character. Did i mention the protagonist being boring? That because he is kinda childish and straight forward through out the series, made the only part in the beginning of the series is the best part of him. Yes he have big motive in the whole series, but as i mentioned earlier, the series didnt seem required our MC at all.

Vinland Saga is good serious anime, but feel brought down by several factor. You probably need to read some synopsis or explanation of what happened throughout the series as it quite confusing. I really wonder if some sort story synopsis narration could solve this issue. Overall it is really good series that kinda have ok-ish ending.

Alternative : As for major war / conflict anime, Akatsuki Yona & Arslan Senki fit nicely (which i think have more coherent story). For dark gritty stuff, no doubt Attack on Titan & Akame ga Kill is kinda similar. Lastly if you want a series with more similar political stuff, probably something like Gundam Unicorn or Code Geass (tbh, i dunno if anyone of you reader havent watched this yet)

EDITED v2 : Several hours after first edit

Lost Survivor with Yuri Cast

Title : Sounan Desu ka (Englisth Title - Are you lost? : Direct translation - "Are you sure?")

Judging by artstyle, if seem like typical yuri type anime that typical happened in high school. Combining with this "survival" or "lost on an island", it probably will be very bad, which this series are. Mainly because of the reason above, i put a proper expectation when watching this series as low as possible, especially when i saw the tag the tag of comedy + seinen. Another reason is because all 12 episodes are only 13 minute long (half than usual anime episode long) so you kinda can expect the quality of it.

Turned out that if you remove all non-plot-existent and a bit high ecchi throughout the series, it is quite good. Basically it tell a story of 4 random girls (which seem managed to keep their high school uniform clean throughout the series) trying to survive on inhabited island. One of the girl, are pretty much expert in survival tactic, thus we see lots of her flashback with her father about survival tactic. So pretty much every episodes are filled with misadventure and learning survival technique.

As as anime, this anime is bad. But it doesnt mean it not entertaining and full of garbage. It genuinely have some hilarious moment as well as some survival tips that you might find useful. However, you must have set your bar low especially on yuri + ecchi part.

Alternative : Not many anime that i feel similar sadly, I could list the Kanata no Astra I mentioned earlier in the post. For bunch of girls doing stuff like expedition probably are better suggestion would be Yama no Susume (Youtube link here) and Sora Yori mou Tooi Bashou. For random suggestion : This anime seem like Gakkougurashi for some reason as well.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Lovers who are freaking stubborn

This is probably one the story that i thought i really thought I could love, but it didnt reach the level that im expected especially considering the hype that people have on this series. At the beginning, it feel like a romance story with concept mind games like many other survival games / detective type anime that I have enjoyed before. The main problem is, both our main lover are too prideful to admit that they both are in love. They think that by being the first one to confess is a weakness, thus this series is full of freaking misunderstanding.

Another aspect that made me turned a bit is heavily usage of narration to explain what both of characters are feeling. I mean, both of the lovers are supposed to be the most genius in their schools, and yet both of them are being awkward to each other. Story wise, I feel like there are too much emphasize on random story that required both character feedback rather than being involved. It also felt that other cast member being more realistic character than our main lovers. Just be ready to get annoyed a lot watching this series because of several things.

This anime is decent, is just I feel like couldve reacher higher level if several problems are ironed out from the series. It feel like watching romance anime with stupid protagonist who dumb to get the hint / conclusion in ending... IN FREAKING EVERY EPISODES. Might as well just go for full gags comedy at this point and remove romance all together.

Alternative : I dunno what is better alternative since i rarely seen a series with both characters being stubborn, but if you wanted to watch series on how romcom shouldve been done, you can watch Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san, Toradora, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Nisekoi, Wotakoi & Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu

EDITED 12 hours after previous.

Survival crafting game, the anime.

Oh, in case people dunno about the title, it is : Dr Stone.

Back to back hyped 2019 anime that i binged within 1 day. It is kinda interesting shounen anime, but I would be a minority hear to say that Dr Stone didnt reach my expectation at all, mainly because Im kinda expecting more a thriller anime which the series deliver quite well in the first couple of episode. Patent of series is pretty much like typical survival or documentary anime which seem like trying to teach the audiences about specific topic. While there are legit concept that I like in Dr Stone (MC vs Villain goals, the backstory of primitive village), but it just felt too many stuff are just too convenient in each episodes. Only first 4 episodes are engaging enough to me.

My big problems with are the feeling of goofy / go lucky in every episodes without any heavy dramatic effect. To me, shounen is about feeling power up, raging fire, battle animation, intense moment or struggling of MC. I felt none of it aside maybe some discovery, maybe mainly before our MC is too OP who seem like can figure out everything. There is no challenge, there is no struggling dynamic, most episodes are just series about group of people doing stuff.... I might considering this anime more toward Slice of Life to be honest. It have major moment throughout the series, but i really got bored most of the time.

Regardless, Dr Stone is still good / awesome anime if you dont mind of about non-existence plot that moving forward. When i considered many others anime have much more storyline within 24 episodes, this anime felt slow and dragging by comparison. It lacked the feel that made you wanted to watch next episodes immediately (well... i binged because i feel like i have to finished it). This is major problem for anime which designed for shounen, but ended in cliff hanger (yes, im pretty sure next season would be good, but im talking about issues with this 1st season)

*Alternative : Hard to suggest any alternative, aside from Kanata no Astra. So here random suggestion that i felt quite close : The time that I got reincarnated as Slime, Overlord, Log Horizon (pretty much many isekai with learning curve)
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Kyokou Suiri

Girl and her bf solve spirit problems. Sounds bad but it actually isn't, mostly character/dialogue driven anime like Promised Neverland (with less thriller aspects). It's not great but worth watching, at least all the characters are bearable / non-irritating which is rare in itself. At least for now.
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Castlevania Season 3

Holy crap wasn't expecting this to be so good. Whereas the previous season(s) were essentially good only for a fight scene more or less, this one is way darker and trippy and is carried completely by the dialogue and plot buildup. Instead of an epic fight it has a different kind of hype scene that makes you go all YES. Only negative I have to say about it is the final episode which was disappointing (almost feels like some exec rewrote it), but overall deffo worth watching & recommended. Binge watch tier.

If the ending had more balls this could have been some berserk level stuff. It's still the best thing since SNK S3 and would even say comparable to it.
Edited by cowking 4 years.
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
h
iwansquall wrote:
Viking & Thor but without magic.

Finished whole season in one week since youtube recommended some random clip with Thorfinn vs Thorkell (how many Thors are there ?). Yeah it derails from MC to random characters in the middle and never comes back to him. Askeladd is well done for the purpose that he serves, but even he loses it in the end. Or maybe the plot is influenced by game of thrones....
Would like to watch the pre history of Thor and Thorkell in their youth.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
have been awhile since i posted anything, but with my country in lockdown
and im pretty much get no pay for 2 weeks (and im down with flu ffs)

Title : Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tsueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru
Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
(yes, this is light novel with long awkward title pattern)

Again, i still wondering why i could enjoy anime comedy like this but utterly bored with other type of comedy in other anime. I got feeling that because this is staple unexpected tsukomi / straight man setup rather than wacky absurd gag anime. Also, probably it depend highly on how dramatic it animate the scene i guess. As typical Isekai anime, there nothing much new except for typical OP MC trying to save a world with goddess blah blah. However, the main difference? I guess the relationship between our MC and the goddess. While this pattern usually we only see in typical romcom.

I would dare to say that like most of many anime i watched, it feel like only the first 4 episodes was very intriguing until it when for usual repeating pattern. But the comedy is just hilarious in every episodes to a point it kinda ridiculous even by this anime standard. The negative part of this anime is probably because it focused way too much only on first 2 character + 2 side support, regardless, it still have flavourful characters either from good side or villains side. However, do watch until end of season for super big payoff.

If you like several Isekai anime pattern, it is not hard to recommend especially on comedy part. The way MC bullying our goddess non stop bring joy in every episodes. All powerful spell / magic is animated beautifully as well.

Alternative : Konosuba is no brainer (although i didnt like its comedy though). Goblin Slayer also more realistic take with serious story. Lastly im gonna suggest a bit different by going typical romcom which is Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.

EDITED : 1 day since first posted
Chibi with hidden knowledge.

Title : Ascendance of a Bookworm

I will be honest that this anime is kinda tricky for me. Main reason is because it is exactly.... another isekai anime but not usual action fantasy type. Basic our MC is just a girl who love book so much that was reincarnated to frail girl body. And i wouldnt say that animation quality of this are top notch either, because it is seem like a really usual art style designed for girls (those fit young magic girl, idols thingy). Additionally, i think revealing the important bits in beginning is kinda bad IMO (the head priest character appear on 1st, after every ending credit omake, and only like last 2 episodes of the season).

As for the character itself, i do think that our MC is kinda not fully utilized the knowledge that she have. And premise wise, I do have several issues especially for her other family didnt notice for some drastic changes about their daughter. Thankfully this series is kinda like half family relationship and half merchant stuff. Lets just say, if you ignore some of the glaring issue, it is pleasant story. Oh btw, the girl is from our modern japanese girl, before internet) who reincarnated to different medieval fantasy world.

It is kinda slow pacing anime that irritated me a bit at the beginning, but thankfully it picked up well after several episodes. As long as you ok with child as main character, i think you can enjoy this.

Alternative : Spice & Wolf is probably closest i think with this anime, although i do think the crafting part of this anime resemblence very close with DR.stone.

EDITED : 24 hours since last edit

pervert that keep chasing you? count me in

Title : Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka?
Hensuki: Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she's a cutie?
(Hensuki)

Lets just say from first 3 seconds i know this will be terrible series. I meant, it is typical harem anime where our girls flocking our MC, BUT WAIT, what if everyone of them have weird fetish that they cant tell anyone? To make stuff more interesting, it introduce a "mystery" tag by searching for sender of secret love letter and panties found in the first episode. So yeah, dont expect anything grant with it. As for artstyle goes? It is typical soft pastel artstyle that this usual anime type have.

So the plot twist here is that the series not exactly bad like having wussy MC who cant make decision. He tried really hard to find the secret love letter sender by confronting all girls surrounds him. This eventually lead all type of weird encounter when each girl he encountered finally reveal their fetish. However there is some kind of heartwarming story as reason why those girls are attracted to MC in the first place. Regardless, there anything deep here and i wouldnt say this is the best in the genre either.

Should you watch this? I would say no. Despite having many revealing stuff in the series, it is kinda average-ish in many aspect as an anime. Despite slightly intriguing plot, i rather you watch a proper mystery anime instead

Alternative : NAKAIMO is pretty much very close plot wise (hence why sometimes it feel recycled stuff). Other one is probably SAEKANO (although i cant believe i forgot most of the stuff in anime already)