What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
Jaedong
Detonator
792 | 56
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
https://myanimelist.net/anime/135/Hikaru_no_Go
I never imagined watching an anime about playing GO.
A ghost of an old GO player of 1000 year old is summoned into a modern youngster.
Very enjoyable and entertaining to watch if you are looking for something lighthearted
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
There is a devil inside everyone.

Title : Devilman Crybaby

Personally i dunno how the arrangement of Netflix creating their own anime to be honest. Im gonna assume they will be experimental and slightly different than traditional japanese anime production. I heard about how mature the series are especially portraying dark desires of human as well as some weird unorthodox animation style.

The begin with a protagonist who are weak and cry a lot (hence the title) who wanted to save as many lives as possible. He met his old friends who was researching about demon / devil incident which lead to fateful encounter that bring both of them to a strip club. His friend knew that in order to bring the demon, he have to trigger some catalyst, by hurting a lot of people and made them transformed into demons. Our protagonist with his desire to save people, transformed into one of the strongest demon called Devilman (basically demon with heart), thus he fighting all demons in order to protect human.

The series no doubt was bold with HUGE amount of sex, nudity and gore throughout the series. It was intriguing in the beginning in order to search the source of Demon outbreak. Our protagonist transformed from a wimpy kid, to a cool badass guys that become focus of attention around his school. Each episodes are pretty much about finding the demon while trying to keep his secret identity from being known by other. One of the biggest challenges our protagonist is the opposite point of view between him and his friend.

The series was interesting in the beginning as it was kind of mystery unraveling the plot around the demon outbreak. But as the story progress forward, it went toward usually clash of ideology. It tried to be bombastic with the story, but i didnt feel the stake at all.

Alternative : This series remind me so much of Tokyo Ghoul (similar story progression) and the bad Blood C with similar gore style. Other similar one theme wise are : Zetman, Parasyte, Shiki & Ajin (I guess transforming to demon is a generic concept)
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Burn baby burn.

Title : Enen no Shouboutai
Fire Force

Before I started to watch this, i was kinda hyped to see a fire fighting anime especially when it was postponed when the arson attack in KyoAni office. My impression is that this will be gritty serious story about fire fighter. Turn out this is just another shounen anime with fire fighter theme with some religious element thrown into it. Additionally i learnt that this was from author who created awesome Soul Eater series. Sadly to say, because of wrong impression and my high expectation, this series burned (no pun intended) me down with disappointment.

Just like your typical shounen, you will be introduced with eager young protagonist who wanted to be hero and help everyone. With his power of controlling fire, he will head toward battlefield first with guts just like typical rough shounen trope. Usually this type of anime have emphasize on the lore of the world, the relationship of squad members with variety type of characters. Sadly to say, that throughout this 24 episodes, there arent much emphasize on other characters aside from one or two character throughout the season. The story started strong in beginning with decent arc in the middle, but it went downhill afterward.

The best part of the anime is definitely the anime production itself. The animation of flames and special during battle are awesome although sometimes it quite confusing to know where is the position of people who are in fighting. Theme wise it is also quite interesting with typical promising premise for hundred of episodes. Sadly none of them explored deeply much in the season aside from some story about squad leader. As for the story goes, it didnt intrigue me much as some of story are pacing haphazardly. Not to mention about some of the awful comedy timing in the series.

Again, if you like your usual shounen maybe this will be fun anime for you. I put high expectation and i feel disappointed with it. I didnt find anything interesting aside from world lore / setting of the anime. Perhaps the anime will be better with more episodes just like normal typical shounen do.

Alternative : Ao no Exorcist is pretty much closest one i feel while watching this. I do feel both Soul Eater and D Gray Man do similar theme better. Lastly the another anime that being compared a lot with this anime is : Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer) which again tackle a lot of aspect more seriously.

This is possibly the first anime im hesitate to review here as the sexual subject matter and it wont be a thing for everyone.
That said, this will be in spoiler section so that you dont accidentally opened it (NSFW)

► Show Spoiler

A punch that work once only eh?

Title : One Punch Man Season 2

Again, this is probably another extra information that you need to know before watching this. First the first season was made by talented team and different production, which emphasize on sakuga (dramatic high frame count action scene) which turned many main stream people toward anime. So when adaptation of 2nd season came around, they asked for JC Staff to adapt this anime. I used to love to love JC Staff but after disappointment of Toaru 3d Season, Accelerator specifically, i was kinda expected some downgrade.

Turned out that it is way too downgrade than first season in many aspect. First thing first are the artstyle changes, something about lineart of anime feel like rougher than before. Aside from lesser details on character like Genos, the weird chrome / metalic effect on him made him look much worse in this series. Quality of production are also off and lacked of consistent, made me wonder if this was made with lower budget or anime from early 2010. As for action scenes, most of them are laughable with lack of any sort of fluid animation we expected from modern action anime.

The worst part of season 2 is probably the plots itself. It feel like haphazardly throwing around several central plots that usually reserved for 2 cour series (24 episodes content cramped to 12 episodes duration). There are several episodes where 2 major plots are moving at same time, and because the direction of series that didnt focus much on either of the plot, it feel like chaotic most of the time. Last negative part of the anime are definitely the sheer amount of extra characters in this part. It feel like the focus on 2nd season arent even focused much on Saitama or Genos.

This season 2 arent bad, but pretty disappointing in many aspect. It is probably reserved to just reading synopsis and watching only some of important episodes. Slower pacing / more episodes are probably better solution to fix this anime.

Alternative : Boku no Hero Academia as usual. As for different type of suggestion probably World Trigger, Hunter x Hunter and probably Magi series which introduce variety of character more probably (although some of them are shounen with much more episodes).
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Must protect the LOLI!

Title : Somali to Mori no Kamisama
Somali and the Forest Spirit

This series I randomly download (based on seed count) which i saw quite it have quite decent score. So I have 0 knowledge about this nor I recall the picture from the poster from myanimelist website. My gosh, from the OP (opening song), it managed to show and capture the essence of the story which about adventuring through fantasy world. I rarely put youtube link in my review, but this is really an exception. The ending also quite nice especially with its beautiful 3D CGI.

From the beginning of the series, the first impression i got was that Im super impressed with the colourful world design as well as the soundtrack that played throughout series. The main plot of series is that our little girl is could be the last remaining human in the cruel world where the human are hunted and unable to co-exist with monster. She met a golem, which is kind of protector of a forest in one fateful encounter (it told late in the series). To make it worse, the golem life only can last for 1 year, thus he was on timeline to bring our little girl to safety. Thus the beginning to traveling adventure from town to town in order to research about surviving humanity.

Throughout the journey, our protector which is exactly almost like a robot butler came to learn to accept the little girl in his last remaining life. He learnt on how to be human by being compassionate and varied other emotion. In the journey, they met several people that each have their own set of problem. Some are trying to coop with problem of co-exist between human & monster. Some to show that friendship & love have no boundary, especially when we see our little girl to make some new friends with other races. Just like a daughter and strict father relationship, this series really bring out a lot of heartwarming feeling with relationship of the duo.

Short thing to say that this anime is beautiful. Despite you might find that the kid might be annoying little brat, the chemistry between them and how they handle relationship with other people encounter made one of most heartwarming show i seen for last several months.

Alternative : If you want to see a series about venturing unknown world, Made in Abyss & Shoujou Shuumatsu Ryokou is perfect to capture similar feeling. If you want a series similar dynamic relationship of 2 characters, then try Usagi Drop & maybe Mahoustukai no Yome.

Furry + Weeb + 3D CGI = Masterpiece?

Title : Beastars

This probably one of the hyped anime that I have found while I was on youtube. There are several factor that made me wanted to watch this, first is the weird antic of the mangaka which seem to wear chicken mask wherever she went (even when taking a award during ceremony!), 2nd is this is another anime made by studio that made "Houseki no Kuni", and lastly is probably the it resembled another my favourite movie which was Zootopia.

Firstly we need to know that our characters lived in society where herbivore (prey) live in fear as they are surrounded by carnivore. As a solution the this grand problem, the society created a utopia (sound familiar) where each species can co-exist with each other. Our protagonist, a grey wolf have personal problem of inferior complex where he tried to keep his problem inside himself. To make matter worse, sometimes the carnivore have to face the urge of their instinct of eating other animal. This lead our protagonist fateful encounter with our small white dwarf rabbit heroine.

What made this series is a masterpiece is not just the setting of world, but as well theme of personal struggle for self improvement, challenging the norm of harsh society, as well as the struggle everything in order so there will be chaos. The series is kinda like a mirror to our society where people in power which use any dirty method necessary while normal people struggle with their life. Each characters are very charming glowing with their own unique personality. They also need to face the prejudice of society especially being a part of large group.

This series is a must watch, even though you might turned off by the 3D CGI as well as anthropomorphic character. I also forget to mention that series is well directed and there many scenes are interesting to watch, also manage to make me watch all episodes in single sitting.

Alternative : 2 other similar "different species" anime that I feel similar are Demi-chan wa Kataritai & Centaur-san no Nayami. For romance part, I think the movie Koe no Katachi is very similar. Lastly if you wanted for more dark drama about forbidden love, then Kuzu no Honkai should depress you as well.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
3rd time was not the charm.

Title : Nanatsu no Taizai: Kamigami no Gekirin
The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods

One of the problematic animating long anime series (shounen usually) is the keep the consistency of the quality of the animation. If you watched any long running shounen, you know that the studio is always on crunch and having multiple studio animating one series. Opposite of that you get this series, which was produced by A-1 production in first 2 seasons, and now it transferred to dreaded freaking Studio Deen. If you watched anime alot, you will know that this studio is among the weakest in term of anime production.

That said, anime quality arent always the main things needed when you watching the anime. While some people even gave the series a score of 1, i personally the story is there and there is some to be enjoyable, either plot wise or character development wise. Surely the series downgrade is a big leap, because probably lacked skillful staff or maybe just there isnt enough time to animate them properly. While i personally thing most of the artystyle are pretty similar, the fluidity of animation have a lot to be desire.

We do learnt a lot of background history of the series in this season. While most of them are flashback in first part, it went big bombastic from middle of the season. I appreciated that emphasize on power level in season 2 are pretty much removed here, however there are a lot of moment that arent clear on which character have more power strength wise. This lead to back and forth fighting which sometimes look jarring because this studio cant animate action scene properly, at least for this series.

While it is bad quality wise, there is some merit to watch the series if you are a fan of the series. Just take note that the story arent fully resolved made me feel unsatisfied overall.

Alternative : Hmm kinda hard to recommended any series 3rd season in, but if i wanted to show other series with proper 3rd season for battle shounen, i guess series like Boku no Hero Academia, Magi series, Attack on Titan series all managed to keep animation quality throughout the multiple seasons. As for last random suggestion : The Law of Ueki for decent old shounen anime.

Let your imaginary mind runs wild!

Title : Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

This is a random anime i picked up that based on seed count and score on MAL. Turned out it is quite random anime. What do i mean by that? Probably is among of well animated and very experimental anime that might turn some people off. Thats said, one of the strongest part of series is definitely how they animate several imaginary scene using watercolour.

Story is about 3 random girls who said they wanted to do anime. One is the concept artist / story writer who always trying to imagine crazy world which include things like mecha, vehicle, devices etc. Another one is famous actress who want to defy her parents into joining anime club. She is really into animation, even do crazy to study people posture when doing daily life actions. Lastly we get our "straight man", which basically a producer like that keep everything in check. She kinda serious and like to run schemes. Together they tried to create their own anime (while bribing / blackmailling some other clubs to help them).

Premise wise, it is simple story but again this very unique anime that a lot of imaginary scenes. Basically while our characters trying to find a setting for their story, they will try to imagine how on things works, on how things will look like etc. Best part is probably that they also trying to be realistic with their animation production since they just only 3 girls team. As usual they, being unorthodox they are being chased by student council / school a lot of problems (hence the title, Eizouken is pretty much anime club). Lastly, it feel rewarding once you finally able to see their final product.

Again, this anime is pretty good production wise. However your enjoyment will be varied. I like when there is plot moving but dislike much of the random stuff as I feel like this anime would be much better with more serious tones.

Alternative : Shirobako, Sora Yori mou Tooi Bashou, Genshiken & Bakuman all have similar feeling with more serious setting.

What the heck happened with many disappointing sequel?

Title : Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II

Most of the sequel i downloaded was solely to relive the nostalgia old watching 2010s anime. Generally they are pretty simple especially those which was adaptation of Light Novel. Generally tend to be Isekai, Fantasy or Video Game setting. So when this anime released for 1st season, it check several marks that at least made the story very enjoying to watch. What happened if you remove all the formula and change it all together? You get disappointing, especially if you dont handle the series with care.

As someone who forgot most of the story aside from maybe 2 protagonist in the series, this series did have 1 episode recap (episode 0) that managed to refresh my mind a bit. Because the characters setup in first season, it seem like it didnt spend much time to reestablish them again in 2nd season, making you have to remove each of characters quirk and relationship. Personally, I think for personal development, character need to improve in every season, at least we learn something new about them. Sadly I feel like this season lack a lot of that making it just moving from plot to plot.

Oh remember I said about the formula? The title itself is about getting a girl in a dungeon. There is ZERO dungeon related plot this time around. At least there is no story about our MC struggled going to dungeon to level up. Instead it focused more on side character story, which I think it just a blown opportunity. Some of the plot are interesting (family wars in the beginning) but only to be disappointed ended in just 1 episode. There isnt any struggle with our MC either, making viewer care less about him now.

Danmachi season 2 is so disappointing that downgrade it to mediocre level. While first season not exactly great, but it was entertaining to watch at least. This time around it made me care less and more annoyed to watch their antics.

Alternative : Here are some anime i think managed to do Season 2 properly despite being weaker than 1st season : Log Horizon 2, Konosuba 2 (although i personally didnt enjoy them), SAO 2 (first arc at least), Overlord 2 (except for lizard intimate scene part).
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Sequel done right.

Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou vs. Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou
Haikyu!! 3rd Season

After watching several underperformed anime that happened because of several circumstances / horror of anime production, finally I managed to find a sequel that done the source material justice. Production I.G at this point already known for several high intense sports anime that combined superb animation quality, consistency, lively characters interaction, interesting anime direction as well as keeping it intriguing while watching every episodes.

From the get go, this series assume you already watched first 2 seasons thus this is more like an arc of a story rather than whole new seasons. You might get turned off if you dont binge this, but there are several proper setup to know that the match is really important, there is overwhelming powerful "villain" character on enemy team. Pretty much the whole 10 episodes (only that amount instead of usual 12 or 13 episodes per cour) are focused on the intricacy of the match.

Generally speaking, story pattern always revolved around certain characters on certain episodes. While there are intense back and forth scoring match, the chill of watching both team trying to outpace each other is really nerve wrecking. New skill, counterplay, new strategy all shown with proper reasoning (usually showing player flashback during training). Commentary from other characters also made you able to understand some of the technicality of the match.

Again, if you already Haikyuu fan you are no brainer not to watch this. If you are a new viewer, go binge all 3 seasons, it will be totally worth it. I cant believe I managed to finish it in one sitting.

Alternative : All usual male sports suggestions, Kuroko no Basket, Yowamushi Pedal, and maybe...... Free & Yuri no Ice (sry but i dont watch many new sports anime)
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Ugly truth and creepy weirdness.

Title : Aku no Hana
Flowers of Evil

This is kinda one of experimental anime where they try to use rotoscoping (overlaying drawing based on real life character) in anime to a mixed review. If you can accept the artstyle (same like 3D CGI), you probably could appreciate more this story. If you dont, then you will find the anime is jarring and not pleasant to watch throughout the series. Personally I feel like they could use a bit more shading (shadow / highlight) to show more depth in the graphic.

Actually that is the goal, the character design are designed to be ugly & imperfect just like our real life. Our protagonist one day was caught stealing a female classmate gym clothes by another weird female character. Being blackmailed, he was tasked to do several tasks that really off putting and will put here into weird situation. Throughout the series, we will be able to experience how protagonist feel guilty and wanted to tell the truth (about stealing gym clothes) but because several fortunate (or unfortunate in this series) the weird female threaten him more than usual.

The creepy and uneasiness is main selling point of this series. It just show how ugly human being can be as well as how powerless it can feel if you in specific negative state of mind. This is akin to being bullied in real life that made this series is sometimes can be unnerving to watch. As viewer, your discomfort might feel that you wanted to punch the weird female or how stupid our wussy male protagonist is. Plot wise, the series is pretty much straightforward with weird drama & emotional feeling of main characters.

This series is definitely not for everyone but I kinda feel sad that the rotoscoping part might turned even more people of from the series. I suggest you maybe try to give the live action adaptation a watch maybe (although i dunno the quality of the movie)

Alternative : Definitely there are more paletteable emotional anime like Kuzu no Honkai, Nazo no Kanojo X, Watamote and even School Days that can easily depressed you.

Colourful & playful time of demon school

Title : Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun

Another anime that was suggested to me with decent score. I dont have anything to say about the anime production since i dont research them. I havent heard anything about it either. However the poster design as shown above does intrigued me a bit to see what kind of story it will be. Since it is a non sequel anime, im kinda expecting something new.

Turned out this old school formula where wussy protagonist being thrown into weird situation especially in school environment. While it is not bad if you like comedy, but as someone who watched way too many of similar anime back in early 2000s it felt dated. While our male protagonist being sold by his parent and thrown into demon world by his foster grandfather, he was forced to attend to school. He have to keep his identity secret or he will be eaten by other demons. Thus the premise of the story.

First I would like to talk about artstyle, while i like the simple & clean artstyle, i was kinda turned off by its very constrast colour pallette. Something about the colour remind way too much of old 2000s anime. As for characters, there are plenty of them and each of them have its own charming personality. But to me, one the character is simply too annoying to me, she even have one segment dedicated to her singing!. Plot wise, pretty much the staple high school battler type of plot. There are introduction, classes, exam, battle, etc. Hence why say this anime feel ..... old.

If you like this cartoonish style and simple plot & comedy, probably this is good anime for you. I didnt dislike it , but merely turned off by its 2000s anime design. However you can be sure that this one the polished version of many similar anime. Thankfully the main character is interesting & slowly evolving.

Alternative : First example of similar design that i liked more probably Baka to Test, School Rumble. If you wanted similar anime about main characters thrown into weird situation, you have like Yamada & 7 Witches & probably old school Rosario + Vampire (although pretty mediocre). As a plus, I recommend Hayate no Gotoku which have similar introduction, but way more comedic & funny.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
This struck close to my heart.

Title : Net-juu no Susume
Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Heard about the anime somewhere on the internet. It is more like realistic take on romance that revolved around playing MMO game. As someone who adore MMO during early 2000s, this strike me the most as it remind me of those day. To make it sound better, this series resonant so much with myself that I feel like it is a series that i can watch whenever I feeling down.

The story begin with a NEET (not in educational, employment or training) woman who have been playing MMO as a cope mechanism. Being fired from her previous job, she find solitude in the video games she play together with several friends. She always feel not confident in her life, she met other in game characters that help healing herself and build her up. With some courage from them, she become more confident with her real life and begin socializing. Only she havent realized that person who with her in game, is someone close to her in real life.

As the story are focused on 2 parts. One part is being in avatar characters where her cheerful life able to group with her guildmates for in game adventure. Another part of the story is about her meeting someone special which finally will be revealed to be her guildmates. While sometimes it feel empathy about her life, the fun of story is seeing on how she finally trying to turn herself around. I dont consider this to be drama, but more like a romance that blooming throughout the series, and it is fun to see when she finally realize the truth. As for artstyle and sound, it pretty much ok.

Again, being adult series (more like mature, characters are in their 30s) that reflect real life while struggling with daily life & gaming, just bring tear to my eyes. It is probably not gonna bring same feeling to you, so I can only recommend if you can stand this kind of slow relationship.

Alternative : For similar romance feeling, Wotakoi & NetoYome (google for full name) feel very close. As for story a character trying push themselves up and recover their life, you can watch Re:Life & NHK ni Youkoso. And if for some reason you wanted to watch people acting in awkward situation, then Watamote & 3D Kanojo fit the criteria.
terrynix
Dark Huntress
13 | 2
Just finished Parasyte. Fantastic short series. Watching Mob Psycho now.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
This didnt check my mark.

Title : Machikado Mazoku
The Demon Girl Next Door

As usual, this is random anime that i just glanced a bit on the scoring (so i dont accidentally download below average anime). Based on poster, it should check all the design and artstyle that technically I should be happy for. Based on synopsis and MAL, it seem like this will be comedy anime with emphasize on CGDCT stuff.

And i will straight say from the start that this didnt click with me at all. First of all, I mentioned that this is a comedy anime. Thus for comedy anime to hit with me, it need to be focus on cute stuff, specific style of tsukomi jokes, some jaw dropping absurd stuff or something make you feel awww. Sadly most of the jokes here is something like more toward gags, depressing and maybe something just i didnt like much. Thats say, if you can enjoy the comedy probably you will like it more.

So the other aspect of the anime is that our protagonist is somehow cursed and become a demon girl. One day she was almost hit by a truck and saved by a magic girl (obviously will be her opponent) that finally become her "friend". This series have a lot of bullying moment especially on our protagonist, but because she feel like dumb and clueless, i didnt feel connected to aside from being frustrated... alot. As for CGDCT, there isnt any pleasing or relaxing in every episodes, since it focused on dumb gags. Artstyle / animation style however is something I enjoyed alot.

If you like dumb gags & bullying people, probably you can enjoy this anime more than me. Something about its style that didnt click much with me as i have difference preference. Thankfully this is highly score on MAL so probably you probably guaranteed will enjoy it.

Alternative : Gabriel Dropout & Konosuba is both comedy that didnt click with me much. Another depressing struggle protagonist anime that I enjoyed slightly more is Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu. If you wanted something with similar premise, probably Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san is pretty close (although i didnt enjoy that much either).