What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies

Tower of God / Kami no Tou

MAL Synopsis...

An actually good shounen and the only decent anime I've watched in a while.

The Good
- gets going from the very first ep and stays interesting to the end (which I liked)
- very similar to HxH early seasons (MC's new buddy is basically killya v2)
- good supporting cast
- excellent ost

The Bad

- MC is the second least interesting character
- it's not the most original anime ever but who cares, as long as it's good

Worth watching for sure if you liked HxH, Promised Neverland S1 or Made in Abyss.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
A blast from the past, a mediocre in the future.

Random old anime watching again, this one is the saiyuki franchise from early 2000s. It is one of the most confusing franchise to watch since it revolved around many OVAs & TV title with variety of title, mostly revolved the story from past + current journey.

Saiyuki Reload Blast is probably what I kinda considered the most "future" in their story arc. Since it revolved around the team atonement of their sin while living in heaven. It wasnt clear how it happened in previous anime entry, but it finally clear this time. You will see how the team bond up during their previous life, decide how the want to rebel against heaven for their friend. The story continue to their modern story of journey while slaying demons and helping every town along their way.

My only problem is this anime is stuck in past. A story or trope what i considered "cool" in early 2000s is feel outdated once I enjoy many more other anime. This is mostly to blame to the anime production quality. First I dislike the muddy & dark artstyle (I think it started with saiyuki reload) in this season. Second is because quality of anime which is i think pretty barebone, pretty basic especially when it use static / stiff animation for action scene. Even as I someone who watched couple of series before, I just pretty much not resonate / enjoy the series anymore.

Just avoid the series all together. I dont even considered I would rewatch this anime previous entry either. Comedy, action, demon killing all stuck in past and should be that way forward. Not bad anime, but i considered average.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Ishuzoku Reviewers. Dropped it after i think 2 or 3 eps. Just too much ecchi and borderline not-hentai-but-hentai "plot" for my tastes.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Title is too freaking long that I cant be bother to put it in the picture.

Full title for this anime is : Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou or in english Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway. This anime is pretty hot topic in Japan because of the heavy subject matter.

The summary is pretty much a girl trying to be flirty and trying to find a place to stay. The protagonist feel like the girl is being lost in life, he feel like he need to help her to recover. As the story goes, we got to see the "couple" is living in same house while being helpful to each other. Because of the age gap, the romance is kinda forbidden, and our protagonist is pretty mature about it. There is side story of his working office life where we learnt how his relationship with his colleague and how he can be a responsible adult.

There arent much to say negative about this series except this feel like a more mature / serious take of real life issue. Hence why it controversial in Japan because usually people running away from home tend to have personal issue. Though, the relationship in this series can feel weird and awkward. There are several drama moment that I love but most of the story resolution felt a bit weak. Thankfully we managed to see both character growth especially the girl, which I appreciate since she felt like just a child in earlier part of the series.

Personally I like this, because it tackle some heavy subject matter. But Im aware that people might find this boring or abit more unrealistic especially with their relationship. But the drama & tearjerker scene managed to pull me in, and you know how bad im with this.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Sousou no Frieren

This is a fantasy story about an elf who used to be in the hero's party. But long after they defeated the Demon King, the other team members are slowly dieing one by one. As one of the members dies and almost forces her to take a human girl as an apprentice, this elf is just continuing travelling the world with her new apprentice, looking for magic that people don't pay attention to because it has no use in battle, trying to preserve said magic.

From the start this Manga delivers quite a heavy, melancholic athmosphere, which is kind of unique in that regard. An Anime was announced, so I'm looking forward to seeing how well the athmosphere can be captured. Yeah, it's not a funny story, but I like the dialogues, though some people might find those to be not enough on point, like it's usually the case in that format of story telling.

Isekai Ojisan

Takafumi is the only one who visits his ugly uncle who just recently woke up from a coma, and quickly notices, that his uncle isn't quite sane anymore. Talking about stories of another world and so on, where he was often pursued because the typically beautiful people from the other world thought he was an orc.

This story also has this slightly melancholic feeling to it because the uncle was in a coma for 17 years. After the shock of Sega not existing anymore, the uncle starts making a living via Youtube, where people consider the magic he shows "special effects". Basically there are 2 stories being told. One story being in the other world, where there are only 3 protagonists, and the other story is back in Japan, where the nephew helps his uncle out to get back into life and is regularly told/shown stories about the adventure of his uncle, judging them and his uncle because of that. There are also only 3 protagonists. But both groups fit well together, while the uncle is the center of both of them.

The art is... exceptionel. Sometimes it's really good, but sometimes it's purposefully drawn bad, which supports the story on another level unlike anything I have seen so far.

It also receives an anime and I'm really glad about it, because from all the isekai stories I've read so far, this one easily ranks place 2, right after Tensei shitarra slime datta ken and right ahead of Tensei Shitarra dragon no tomago datta. And both of these involve living as a monster, so yeah, it's quite a change from my typical preferred storytelling.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I have been struggling to start watching any anime atm, the real life situation really not putting me in the mood for watching any anime. And intense gaming doesnt allow me to watch + playing at the same time.

Dear diary, im doing nothing again today.

There isnt much interesting spring anime compared to previous packed winter season. Being a fan of slice of life general and the slime in general, i thought i give this series a try despite didnt put high expectation from it.

Lets just I quite happy with quality. Mainly because most of spin off anime tend to be very bizarrely different or a very low quality spin off. Thus when I saw the artstyle, which pretty much retain the look (same studio) and I hyped. This time around, since we already introduced with most of the characters (it assume you watched 1st season first at least), this are pretty extended version of side story that we didnt get in main adaptation. See our MC trying to reminiscing his japan's life by introducing the seasonal tradition to his slime country.

However, I feel like as a slice of life, this series lacked something. Since it is not CGDCT, there isnt much "heart warming" relaxation when watching this. So the series revolved mostly the comedy between the characters, which are hit & miss on certain part. I dont remember if I even chuckled to any funny part as it is kinda predictable. While seasonal activities are interesting on its own, there isnt any build up for grand event in final episode, making the feeling of watching this anime felt flat from beginning to end.

This is good series, but only if you watched at least 1st season of main series. I scored it slightly above average, mostly because the comedy missed completely for me. Also, i forgot to mention several of annoying character tropes that recycled throughout the season.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Magic, idols, concert, & the power of friendship.

Randomly watch anime that I feel like I need something cute to cheer my depressing real life. I glance at the score of this (6.5+ on MAL) and I still going forward and just put low expectation from it.

Turned out the series is pretty enjoyable to watch. The series is pretty much a concept of a student coming to magic school, dreamt to perform on the greatest stage in their town. As story move forward, she met her old friends and joined a group that in brink of getting expelled. Watch them as they trying to improve themselves in several school competition in order to increase their group ranking & scores. The performance are pretty good and the soundtrack notice-ably powerful in some scenes.

However, the series is pretty much heavy on slice of life / comedy side, thus it hit & missed usually. For me, the plot is pretty much weak & predictable as the only direction from a losing team can go it freaking up (unless you made a depressing story of failure). There are some fun interaction with other groups' interaction, but mostly at surface level. Plot do moved a bit toward the end with typical drama of failure and getting MC friends to pick her up. While concert is entertaining, you have to bear a choppy dancing CGI (typical in anime) and enjoy the music.

Not for everyone for sure and definitely it is not a 6.5 scored anime on MAL. You can see some review who love gave this 10/10. For me, it slightly above average as there are no memorable moment nor i agreed with genres combination (I mean, enjoyed a scifi + idol anime in the past).
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Master, will you take the responsibilities?

I was in middle of watching another anime series, but because I got trial for Amazon Prime (to get battlefield 1 and 5), I thought I might as well as just stream any random anime i know the stream quality will be pretty good.

This anime start interesting and intrigued plot. In future world where android replace human, the question is how do you co existing with them, either to them autonomy power to rule themselves or kept them as slaves to humankind. Then introduce us to a group of powerful android with power from destruction, hacking android mind & ability to take down any electronic device. As typical other anime, this is the usual "boy-meet-girl" where our MC suddenly became owner of one of these powerful android.

However, as story move forward, the problem start to arise with this series as it lacked of focus either to tackle the main plots (human vs machine), awkward romance, slice of life, or drama of clashing ideologies. When the battle between super android started, most of action scenes are barebone and not memorable. Sure there is some philosophical or political concept throughout the series, but it feel more like a background setting that doesnt affect the whole story much.

The series intrigued me in beginning, and I feel like it mostly score as average as it didnt meet my expectation at all. I dont recommend you to watch this since despite good parts of the anime, it doesnt feel worth the time. Too many aspect that gave it negative point, scoring around 6.2 on MAL.

EDITED:
As you all know, i tend to write review around 2 or 1 episode from final episode. It seem like Amazon Prime combined all recap + 4 extra special airing episode in 1 group. The 20th episode supposed end in hopeful cliffhanger and finally proper conclusion in 4 episodes.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Clash of the titans, cue epic soundtrack.

2nd series that I rushed to completion as my prime video trial is almost over. This is why I dont like to watch 2 cour anime too much nowadays. I cant finish whole season in 1 sitting unless the series is pretty good.

This is actually a sequel of decent anime that was adaptation based from a mobile game. I dont remember much of 1st season except for interesting 1 cour anime. This series protagonist was a girl that is half dragon, that have ability to transform to a dragon when they she feeling excited. This can happened in situation like when she met gorgeous looking men. The series at beginning start small with revelation of human enslaving demons, to extreme big battle throughout the season.

The ability for viewer to enjoy this series solely rely either you can stand the protagonist. She is bumbling who cant make sense of her feeling. Several of her decision kinda feel stupid and degraded the whole story. While the series is epic especially the big battles in middle, the series suffer of weird direction of plot that happened for sake for "drama". The character who was important duo from 1st season, are mostly become background characters in this series. Thankfully they were covered by other more interesting side characters.

I can recommend this only if you can stand first 4 episodes, which i think shown the best aspect of the series. You dont need to watch 1st season, although I rather you watch that first than this. The series have potential, but the downfall is plot & main character.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Deja Vu! I've just been in this place before...

Random anime playlist from free anime streaming on youtube, I watched this solely because I know the main series which have several part (s1, s2, movie, spinoff ova, spinoff chibi) that I have watched long time. Will be this series any great?

Lets just say, not much. This is pretty much formula for military anime around 2000s. A group of unknown alien invading the world, it is a job of small group of incredible people to fight the enemy while protecting their homes. The series focus more on girl with magical power that have ability to control flying device while empower their gun to beat the alien. You met with protagonist first until some trouble began, which ended up her replacing her sister. Bonding with other teammates, she learnt how to fight better while struggling with people who dont trust her yet.

As for bad part of the series, there is really nothing much to say. Despite being a 2016 anime, this anime felt lackluster in production with lack of powerful action scenes. The character design also pretty much look like main series design which can be good / bad things at same time. The story is usual, "you dont belong here", "we must work together to beat this foe", and usual "we can beat anyone with power of our friendship". Not bad per say, but im expecting more from 2016 anime.

Even as fan of main series (not that great tbh), this series felt outdated. There isnt any strong about the series from relationship between the girl, the military action nor the story premise. I suggest just skip it (despite score might be higher than other lower score anime that i recommended before).