What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
iwansquall wrote:Rushing for 1k of watched series by end of this year.... maybe not.

^your first post in this thread.

It just took you 5 years :D Congrats! What's your next project? ;)
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I think i finally found it:

"I want to overhaul all my score on MAL from 7 as average to 4 as average"

It should allow me to differentiate between an ok, good or excellent series.
https://anime.plus/iwansquall/ratings,anime

Since i rarely watch bad series, hopefully the curve would be the same for both on good and bad side.
Perhaps with some sort of simple score rating (4 for borderline average industry standard) with some bias (-2 or +2) so user can judge accordingly

Since it will be hard to judge old anime from new lens, this mean that good nostalgia anime with have extra score for being able to stay in my mind for long time ( <3 Azumanga Daioh)
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Tenkuu Danzai Skelter Heaven.

I could do more productive stuff with my life with the 20 minutes i spent watch this abomination of an OVA. That's 20 minutes i'm never getting back. Ever.

Stay away from this garbage.

An OVA directed by the (in)famous Yoshiteru Satou. Same guy that brought you that great gem of an anime called Mars of Destruction. What an absolute god of anime direction.

Read the paragraph above with the sarcasm filter on.

I'm hella mad bro.

Minutes.

Lost.

I'm officially Satou'd.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Non stop cuteness & relaxation

Im ran out of shounen sequel to watch, so I switch to seinen instead. Problem is it is not an anime type that I can watch at all times. If you feel bored or depressed, this type anime that called "iyashikei" (healing / soothing) anime is good match.

This anime is a sequel (or maybe a another additional adaptation) of a series that was last aired back in 2015. I already forgot most of the stuff except I know it is a chill & cute anime. Personally it wasnt fully my taste as said many times before, comedy is niche and not every comedy will tickle my funny bones. However I liked how it portray the life in rural area (their school only have 5 students) which focus mostly on their relationship and daily activities. There are core 4 girls with several other supporting characters added this time around (probably they already appeared before, but i forgot about them).

However the comedy can feel lack of punch with its awkward style comedy timing. Thankfully the series strength is on their cute story side especially the youngest character (you know when you saw her). All new characters added several more depth with characters interaction since it was kinda lacked in 1st 2 seasons. Actually there isnt much to say about the series, it is quite a good series I found cute & entertaining once a while, but not something that I can recommended for anyone who dislike this genres.

Should you watch all 3 seasons if you havent watch this type of anime? Personally I would say no, there is several other anime that I think more suitable (Yuru Camp or K-On). But if you want learn abit about how people live in rural area, then this series is quite informative on that side.

EDITED :
Usually I started to create poster + writing review couple of episodes before the end so that I finish writing exactly when it almost finished. Lets just say the final couple of episodes are just freaking beautiful and made me sad about whole series. It remind me of my favourite series which is Azumanga Daioh when you finally see all girls graduated from their schools.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Chilling in chilling night in middle of winter.

Another slice of life marathon for me. This time is one of the most chill anime that I enjoyed the 1st season not long ago (in fact it was January 2021). 2nd season from this year is one of the most anticipated anime for me this time.

And the series deliver it. Pretty hard to explain what made this series so great. Most of the girls have a simple goal, to go chill with friends in middle of nature. Each of girls have its own quirk & personality making it fun to watch their interaction. This time around the theme revolved mostly around camping in the winter, thus there are some challenges that they arent prepared properly. The joy of them eating hot food alone enough to make your heart melt for their cuteness. One noticeable stuff in most are the sense of awe & how background music carried the episodes.

As for weakness, this is highly depend if you like this style anime or not. Im not sure if it was the case in the first season, but I noticed for more stylized chibi artstyle during the comedic moment which personally I dont like unless they using a proper comedic timing. And since our girls already accompany each other since 1st season, there isnt much what i considered "plot progression" unlike 1st season where we saw our girls met up for first time and grouping up to go to camping.

Overall, I highly recommend this series even though you are not fan of slice of life. This is high quality Slice of Life that I believe should be suitable for most people palette. Although season 2 is more like a same, give 1st season a try first. If you like it then watch this season.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
There's a severe lack of anime that take themselves seriously which is something that always interests me, so i went back to re-watching Basilisk.

Basically 2 warring ninja clans in feudal japan start to kill each other, with a few shenanigans and twists. A lot of kills, a lot of deaths. Sometimes it feels like its trying to be a more psychological Ninja Scrolls at times, and that can be taken in a negative connotation on trying too hard to establish themselves in a tried and true formula. Luckily, this isn't the case on it's entirety. Also , without going into spoiler territory, if you decide to watch it, just don't expect happy endings on the episodes. It's a very depressing anime, almost greek tragedy, but with blood.

Plus it's got our Lord and Saviour Mr. HARRO EVERYNYAN HOW AHH YOU, FAIN SANKYU ; Norio Wakamoto nails everything right. All hail!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Just slightly off topic that I thought I might shared as I went my trip to nostalgia lane.
As you were known, that I was planning to revamp my scoring system so that the average score for my anime list would be around 4 average instead of 7.
So I make easier choices by going from lower score to higher (atm, 500 out 1600++ have been readjusted)

My god, some old anime are super generic that I forget 100% of it already (plot, character design, when did I watch it)
While most of the OVA / special I put lower score that they cant be standalone, thus lower score.

However, best of part of it going through several old titles which some have good OP / ED that I kept in my old winamp playlist for YEARS!
I mean, if the anime is from 2001 for example, that mean I have been listening to them easily 20 years!
Anyway, I thought I want to share some of the video of said song here (mind you, this is old song of "average" anime).
I put spoiler just in case

► Show Spoiler

Hope this help you finding some new love of old songs or old anime (but mostly average though).

*Apparently this is my 1111st post for me... so yay??
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN

This is an infamous series that push the borderline between hentai and tv anime. I mean, I have seen many anime with nudity & sex scenes (cough cough interspecies reviewer cough cough) but not to this extreme. Thus, spoiler just to keep your sanity.
► Show Spoiler
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
What are you looking at huh?

This famous another recent famous anime adaptation that people have looking forward to. But if you judge from the duration of this, this definitely fall into "low quality short ova" style that many anime produced.

However I would like to inform you that I kinda entertained alot by this. The main reason is because I already played goofy yakuza game like ... Yakuza games series. So the match between serious & goofy tons is pretty much right to my alley. 2nd reason is the way they do animation cut, because the animation is fast paced with tons quick cut, it managed to make me chuckled several times because of unexpected stuff. Last reason is the series doesnt spend much on unnecessary stuff and just tell the comedy sketches rapidly.

I need to address the elephant in the room. The anime production of this anime was made JC staff which is famous for cutting corner with panning shots in series like Food Wars. So this low quality slide show can be pretty jarring, considering you expected some sort of more animation frames especially for any serious or intense moment, instead it was only animated with still shots & action lines. One thing for sure, this anime perhaps doesnt do the original source material a justice. If you google the original manga panel, all of them are much more detailed.

I suggest just read the original manga, this is budget adaptation was luckily right in my alley. I cant imagine anyone else to be entertained by it like me. Especially if you dont have experience like playing Yakuza games.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Kentaro Miura , the creator of the Berserk manga, died today. Fuck. Now we'll never ever gonna get more Berserk unless it's watered down.

Watching Berserk Golden Age arc now.