What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Who want to be japanese idol survivor with x-factor competition?

Didnt have plan for this anime except I used it as background sound while Im playing video games. Lets just say there some interesting development in the middle of the series that made me watched more until the end.

Apparently people said this series is carbon copy of another, but I havent it so this I treated as my first experience. The series focused on 9 girls who won regional competition to be part of selection project. As 9 finalist, there live & perform together to become the best. As they continue their daily hard work life, they learn more about each toerh while trying to understand each other motivation on why they want to be part of this idol programme. The question are more about why rather than how, hence many question are tossed around throughout the series.

Let me be honest as I though this would be generic idol anime from the beginning. It started with preliminary round with tons of girls that participated in regional selection. As the selection are base solely on online vote, you watch them trying to appeal to live audience while participatin in these "live in idol mansion" programme. As usual, there are drama among themselves but friendship prevail as usual. Despite i said this being "realistic idol anime", Im saying more toward hardship & not being typical school idol group.

Even by idol standard, this is slightly above average for me. There are part that I liked, especially the struggle toward near the end of the series, but i think you would rather watch many other better idol anime that have more fun / interesting theme.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Unorthodox, wacky, not your typical battle anime

Have been on my radar for a while, it is from mangaka of Interspecies Reviewers which bound to be adult take on certain subject matter. For me, this is kinda discontruct typical shounen anime and bring something unique.

The series started with typical story of a deity who have been living in peace for 800 years. To move the plots forward, she have been training her disciples harshly for many years in fear of demon coming back. Turned out, her worse fear came through and indeed the demon came back despite she have protect a seal that supposed to contain all demon. So the main question here who are the demons, where did they came from and how the world move forward now the clashes between deities & demons is inevitable.

As for bad side, it depend. If you cant tolerate violence or gore, this would be major turned off. Despite it tried to use off-colour / unusual colour to soften the blow, you will be able to see body disjointed / dismembered throughout the run. Personally, despite I like the plot progression I kinda hate when the whole season ended with cliffhanger, which is bad for anime adaptation (since we never know when we will get season 2). Despite all that, thankfully I managed to enjoyed all characters interaction despite some of them are basic & annoying.

Personally I want to recommend this, but I think it is better to wait until when season 2 come out first. Good series, but i dont think it should be adapted this way. I still enjoy it though.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Some people said that true love is strongest binding that curse you forever

I rarely watch anime in cinema (streaming site usually) but this another rare occassion that i aired earlier than international date, so I thought I will give it a try. Already watched JJK series long time, this prequel should be interested.

Oh boy, pretty hard to review this without spoiling it. The movie is pretty trademark of studio Mappa which animated several high scored anime (like my previous reviewed), so you kinda know what is quality of anime you gonna get. Story are focused on new character (at least not yet appear in anime), which is noted as one of the strongest cursed user. Throughout the movie, he journey through several battle and improving his skills so he finally can master his power.

My problem with the movie is simple, this could work as long drawn manga, or anime series but failed tremendously as anime. Usually I love to look into single overarcing story from begin to end, with huge climax battle in the middle. Problem is, antagonist of the series just appear in middle without foreshadow and we advance to final arc albeit too quickly. Thus, you will have tons of battles too show high stakes, which this movie shouldve been low stake & character driven movie.

If you want to watch it, put low expectation. Despite technical on animation, sound & art direction, it fall short on writing part for it to be wrapped properly in the movie. I left the cinema with super unsatisfying feeling.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well

Randomly stumbled on this anime playlist on youtube, i guess i might give it a try after I finished previous anime series. This series is quite infamous for it butt battler sports.

Butt, i need to warn you that this anime is full ecchi, despite quite tame in term of nudity. Regardless, this sports anime still have its own merit. Firstly you have to treat this anime like a sports, thus it began with simple training, some qualifier event, as well as fierce competition. As there are many different types of girls, every of them have their own ability, making it kinda fun to guess what would be the outcome. Despite this anime is not comedy, you have no idea how many I chuckle to how absurd their ability.

Butt seriously, you shouldnt watch this expecting something realistic. Despite many other ridiculous sports anime out there, this is are probably one of the most craziest sports anime. Outside of the gimmick (and random laugh I got), there nothing much going in every episodes. Aside from some characters, background story are mostly focused at the main character only. One thing i forgot to mention is that each competitor will narrate their ability "I got this skill, which gonna counter your skilll, which counter my previous skill etc".

This anime is absurdly funny / ridiculous that I dunno if I can recommend to you guys. Sports part is just barebone here, but the matches alone are interesting to carry toward the end.

As a bonus, this one of the absurd reference to Fate series (you know when you see it)
► Show Spoiler
Texalic
Grubber
333 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Funimation merges with Crunchyroll.

Now I might rewatch Dragon ball.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Shuumatsu no Harem.

Without spoiling it too much : Guy has cellular sclerosis in the near future, gets turned into a popsicle for 5 years while a cure is developed, in that time frame something happens that leaves the entire world and societies being completely ruled by women, he gets cured, thawed out, and every women in sight wants to bone him. You know, just like real life amirite.

I'm really torn on this one. The third word in the title gives it away, but besides the overwhelming amount of fanservice and borderline hentai segments, it's a cool story, albeit the first MC (Reito) follows the boring trope of "goody too shoes guy who sticks to his morals" most main characters follow, this trope needs to get dragged behind the barn and shot with a 12 gauge. Doi was a much better second main character, a lot more character development on that one. What can i say about this anime : Like Ishuzoku Reviewers its riddled with fanservice and the almost-hentai scenes (some are just straight up hentai without "showing the deets" if you get my drift), except unlike Reviewers this anime takes itself very seriously, which i appreciate ; at least here there's a plot excuse for those to be happening on screen, most of them anyway. Not exactly the biggest fan of that kind of hook in an anime, but seeing as it's almost required to progress the story i'll give it a pass.

The pacing is a bit off around mid episodes, some parts seem detailed, then it shifts focus into sub-plots that are rushed as shit. This isnt an anime for just 11 episodes (also, 11 episodes? wtf) , i'm guessing there'll be eps 12 to 24 later on as it happened with the anime where the dude gets reborn as a slime. Let's just blame covid/ukraine war or something.

It's a 7/10 on the very low end of a 7 for me, or a very strong 6/10. Maybe more eps or a full fledged second season the future will bump it up a notch. Or lower it. I mean, i still remember Darker Than Black................let's not do that again.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Anime of the century... absolute masterpiece.

Just a heads up, moving forward with this series, it will hard to explain everything without spoiling the story or at least couple of important point. For sake of this review, i will put them in spoiler (for good & bad part of it) but before that just any other review that I have done. I need to put several real life situation on what happened with anime adaptation of this series.

Originally, the AoT anime was animated with Wit Studio for 3 seasons, which focused on fluid traditional animation. For final season, as it is much higher budget required because how sheer big man power required, adaptation transferred to studio Mappa, which will use a lot of 3D CGI for many of its bigg moment. Personally, I think first part was confusing & slow, despite it have couple of interesting fight moments in first part. Regardless, they stepped up their game and adapt this part masterfully. Just look at video below, dont get me you dont get hyped from it.

Now if you are excited, time to read the review in the spoiler before.
► Show Spoiler

Should you watch this? YES DEFINITELY IT. It is one of the moment where I ENCOURAGE you to watch all season in one sitting so you dont miss the plot point. Sure it wouldnt have everlasting effect like original manga reader who need wait YEARS for adaptation, but that the only for you the enjoy whole series & as well as big revelation in season 3 & this season's plot twist.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
This is not gay ... right? RIGHT?!

I havent heard much about series aside from its crazy premise. From the look of its artstyle, I was think that this would be not so serious comedy where they discover about themselves.

Turned out I wasnt that far off. The series started with 2 working adult that have been friends for many years. Throughout their journey in world, they are questioning their friendship to a point if they will fall in love to each other. To make matter worse, the girl character have been cursed by beauty that made everyone around her to fall in love with her. So, they began their journey to beat demon lord in order to revert everything back to normal. While in they in new world, they will learn more about how the world works as well as meeting couple of interesting characters.

I have big problem with this anime. This is gag humor comedy that focus on loud annoying obnoxious which i dont like at all. The problem much more worse when all characters have flaws to a point of being miserable and unlikeable. The series did try to implement some RPG gaming element, only to totally forget about it after couple of episodes in. The comedy also delivered in many SD forms (chibi, simplified), but i personally dont feel anything funny with its punchline.

If you can tolerate this comedy style, go ahead and watch it. I didnt find it anything interesting and considered it just as average anime. Not even their friendship / love problems considered main focus throughout the series.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari S2 (Shield Hero)

Season 2 imo is a huge downgrade from the first season. It gets a bit better by eps 7'ish and forth but its too little too late. The series was a lot better when it was about the main character going sigma male grindset on everyone that wronged him aka S1. If i gave S1 an 8/10 , then S2 is a 5.5 for me.

Huge disappointment.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
You.... you freaking adorable little goblin

By now, you should be heard about this anime character on various social media. The original manga was so hyped because of it wacky plot and currently it seem among highest score anime on MAL

Despite I put quite high expectation, I quickly get hooked with story because it is in a way, is a chess game where they must work together not to reveal their secret to other people. With their main goal of infiltrate one of the highest standard school that seem designed for noble people. Thus began the fun thrilling rides as they try to blend to the society, all with lots of funny comedic moment, especially related to little girl. I would say that she carried this whole series and no wonder she became current meme status.

However, dont expect the whole quality of the story to be consistent throughout the series. I personally it was fun & intriguing at beginning especially when it is about trying to find solution to their current problems. While I love seeing to be in family together, there are alot of story revolved each individual come with variance degree of fun. Personally i found the school kids part abit boring, despite anya being the main part of story usually. As I learnt that this was only first part of season 1, thats explained why i felt disappointed for abrupt ending.

My suggestion is to wait for 2nd part to air first, then start binge from start to finish. It will be fun ride and i think it can be enjoyed even if you are not fan of anime in general.