What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Its a cutie, its a maid, ITS A TRAP!

This problem one of rare anime that I wanted to watch solely because I saw random clip on youtube. Mostly the character design which i think kinda look cute, even if it is designed for female demographic.

This anime started a bit tragic, with out protagonist left alone when his mother passed away. Being someone who have been responsible at home, he quickly become maid at his uncle house. From there he learn more about him as well as her mother background. As someone who have been lived in poverty, suddenly living in a mansion is a big surprise for him. Lets just say that this anime is kinda a dream for me since there are much relaxing maid / buttler story in current era, despite being super popular around 2010s.

Despite have a strong background story for self-discovery & conflict, this series mostly focus on feeling good & hanging together with friends. So plot usually revolt around him meeting new person and doing some activity without much challenges. Despite his relationship with his uncle, the protagonist doesnt really growth much aside from recovering from his lost mother. There is potential for some drama toward the end, but at the end it wasnt focused much thus no impact.

By iyashikei standard, this story is fun & chill. There arent much else to say to be honest, and I would say it is just average anime. Even if i compare it as slice of life anime, most stuff are mundane & we dont even see much rich people doing rich stuff.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Soviet anthem ..... INTENSIFIED

I have been using stream website random feature to see if i can get any of hidden series that I never heard before. Aside from completionist finishing small / short series OVA or special, I stumbled upon this anime which seem have cute character on main poster.

This series is pretty much almost carbon copy to what happened to Soviet during space race. Our protagonist both are candidate that the country will send to space for first time. Except our female protagonist is rare vampire race that supposed to have more durability. This will allow the science to conduct many of horrible test to push their equipment so the first human test flight will be successful. Using vampire as subsitute for racism, there is also hidden propaganda of wanting to hide her appereance.

Despite being unique and trying to tackle many hard subject, I think the series abit failed since it is not being done well with all aspect of the story. I kinda enjoyed the series when both characters trying to train their body to be ready for space race, but then quality felt drop once it venture to other part of story. Romance while happened because our protagonist being a kind person, loving a vampire as a person and not test subject. But alas it felt forced consider the subject matter in this series.

I think i enjoyed the series for being unique romance-ish series. Judging from the score on MAL, seem like most people deem it just average anime despite i think it quite ok. Watch it if you want different kind of romance.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Moshi moshi, this is microbes speaking.

Another random anime that I aware back when I was a crazy anime watcher. This anime is kinda same era where they wanted to do more educational anime on specific subject. This time it is about microbes.

The anime started with 2 guys which are kinda close friends that joined the agriculture school for different reason. One have ability to see microbes with naked eyes while other one is son of wine making family. As they join the school, they learn that there are many usages of microbes in food creation like fermenting wine also explaining the reason why some of them are foul smelling. As more characters joined the story, it became more comedic as they both trying to adapt to high school / university lifestyle.

If you ask me, I would this anime is mostly comedy with mature slice of life (seinen) and educational part being background aspect of the story. I thought I would able to learn more about microbes, but alas usually they came in short animation of them being cute & having fun. There will be alot of new terms thrown around but without you able to understand what are them or what their purpose. Comedy also subjective, thus I usually not fan of wacky comedy especially if came to obnoxious / annoying characters.

I would scored this anime as average. There are better agriculture based anime, more educational anime or better seinen slice of life anime out there. This anime have its unique strength, but failed to use it to fullest.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
The epic conclusion of this century! Maybe?

I just noticed that whole batch for final part got released recently. So i quickly spend time to watch whole season, albeit with a break in the middle. Nothing much to say about this anime aside i think part 2 was lower quality than part 1, so I have high hope for this.

The main focus on this part definitely the villain. From the start he have been preparing for his ultimate ability from previous 2 parts. So this is time for major confrontation between the protagonist team and the villain. To add more the character, we learn a bit more background stories revolvinng the villain as well as one of the support characters. This anime is peak at last 5 episodes which probably can be considered as one of the most epic battles in the series.

My problem with previous part still stand here. There are some characters / abilities that being weird & cant be explained even in this anime logic. While there is less body horror (disfigured, blood, corpse) there are still some bloody aspect of the series, well considering how deadly the final villain. Personally, if you know the company that made this series David Production, it seem like it just barely reaching their average anime quality because probably the secondary team is doing this anime. Lastly, netflix batch release mean you will hear less discussion about this anime.

Now with all parts are out, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND to binge whole 3 parts back to back. Either you want to skip all other version, is up to you. I think it is good standalone entry for newcomer.
BeckJohn21
Skeleton
3 | 0
Definitely Death note. It showed us the real cruelty of the human nature and exposed our rotten world. Secondly, I would recommend watching Monster, which showed us the strict, unfair and terrifying reality. it is quite hard for me to choose between those two. True masterpieces, without any doubt.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Not exactly anime, but watched all 4 seasons of Castlevania last night (s1 has 4 eps, s3 has 3 eps, so im not sure if i should call it 4 seasons but thats what it is it seems) . Was pretty decent. I'm amazed at how mature it is for something inspired in a japanese franchise by konami of all people. A lot of swearing and a lot of gore and dismemberment, including a few shots of dismembered children and dogs ; this would never fly in these days on japanese anime (in the case of gory children deaths i can only remember Genocyber waaaaay back in 1992 on that infamous helicopter scene) , just another telltale sign of it being from a MURRICAN animation studio.

But yea was pretty decent as i said, with a lot of throwbacks and cheeky references to the Castlevania games especially SotN ofc.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
bump because bots keep ravaging Off Topic on a daily basis with low effort ad posts.

So, Chainsaw Man. Is it overhyped or not? In my opinion, no. It deserves all the hype that it has. It's got the making of almost being the perfect shounen, if not for sometimes very glaring flaws across its eps (sometimes the pacing feels off and its very noticeable after an awesome first 30 mins or so for example)

Overall its my opinion that Chainsaw Man is a breath of fresh air in the shounen department because it pretty much turns tropes inside out and upside down. Denji is a great MC, and future shounen shows should take notes on how to write a great main character from Denji ; this anime is a huge step in the right direction. Very impressed indeed.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Reincarnated as a Sword. Generic. Just an excuse to have cutesy catgirl as a main character being OP (besides dude reincarnated as a sword) .

Renai Flops. Cliché af, but i kinda knew what i was getting myself into when i started so this one is on me.

Noumin Kanren no Skill bakka Agetetara Nazeka Tsuyoku Natta. Again, generic. Guy becomes OP from leveling agriculture skills so hard that he outlevels Heros. MC is annoying, most side characters annoying, story...might as well not even have one, its the old "OH NO DEMONS ARE ATTACKING WE NEED SOMEONE TO SAVE US" cue in the farmer OP MC.

3 in a row. Granted most of their art was pretty good, but no matter how much you polish a turd, its still a turd in the end.
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Prime_Evil wrote:Not exactly anime, but watched all 4 seasons of Castlevania last night (s1 has 4 eps, s3 has 3 eps, so im not sure if i should call it 4 seasons but thats what it is it seems) . Was pretty decent.

If you liked castlevania you should watch DotA - Dragon's Blood (season one is awesome, S2 is a bummer).
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Prime_Evil wrote:Renai Flops. Cliché af, but i kinda knew what i was getting myself into when i started so this one is on me.

I went back into it after dropping it on ep 6 because it was just samey slice of life harem each-girl-has-her-own-ep anime, until ep 9 showed the plot twist of the anime. I was wrong about this anime. Even though its nothing mind blowing or anything like that it subverted everything i was despising about it.