What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Licensed not to kill

When i roll on which genre to watch, i got a "western" genre which is super rare for anime standard. Feeling that I shouldve watch this instead of the modern version, surely the high score mean it is something good right?

The series started with standard formula "monster-of-the-week" where our protagonist went from town to town and defeating bad guys. Followed by 2 female character which kinda acted as "normal sane person", they bring out a weird funny chemistry between all of them in the desolate / barren desert. As you watch the series, it began to unpeel the character background layer by layer that what made our protagonist acted in his way of "no-kill-policy". Many villain made his life much harder.

How i began on that I struggled to start binge this series from start to finish. First of all, the old anyway love to stretch their airing time with first 12 episodes (im not sure if it is anime filler or in the manga). I thought at least we couldve learn more about his background only get bombard with huge plot point after 13th episodes which related to his past. Still, the character feel inconsisten although some might argue that was as a cope mechanism to hide he brooding feeling.

Personally, i think the series was ok toward the end but I cant imagine recommend 26 episodes anime with maybe decent several episodes when you couldve just watch 2 x 12 episodes of another anime. Maybe watch the newer entry if you can handle 3D cgi once it finished.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I shall conquer this music battlefield as master tactician!

Im not sure why, but lately i have been aiming to watch only good series since i dont like struggle to finish a series. I spin musical on genre wheel, and since i already watch another music anime, i watch a series that i know solely for its OP and studio that produce it.

Oh wow, I had a blast with the series at beginning. You know, it rarely to see this kind of genre especially it make you pumped up with its music as well as make you excited on how protagonist will tackle any challenges thrown at in front of him. He not just rely on tactic alone, but observation on his foe as well manipulating human emotion in general. Combine with comedy and heartwarming feeling sincere goal from the girl to become a best singer made this series so enjoyable to watch.

This series couldve been a perfect series with various emotion if not for slower part in the middle. Sure you need to slow down the pace so you can do a proper character development. While i enjoy most of singing and performance parts, i didnt enjoy the rap part because i think it didnt translate well in creating a hype moment aside from maybe last performance. Our tactician also wasnt in much of the episode in middle of the series, as solely focus on 2 characters (singer & rapper).

If i binged a series from start to finish in 1 day, i can guaranteed that i enjoyed the series too freaking much. This is rare considering studio is kinda known for inconsistent works, but the whole package is just hype!

As a bonus, enjoy the hype OP song!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Cant i just get normal summer like girl in swimsuits?

Relying to spinthewheel for genre picker, this time i got thriller. So immediately I chose this anime which another one that mentioned alot as one of the best anime for 2022. Im sucker for murder mystery and time loop, so this is perfect.

One day, our protagonist went to his hometown island one day to attend his step-sister funeral which was found suspicious. As he live his daily life, he stumbled on weird shadow creature which have ability doppeldanger any people. As he suspect this might related to his step sister death, he began to investigate more about the creature only to learn that the problems are much bigger than it seem. As everytime time loop happened, there are many more unexpected things happened and it became out of our protagonist control.

While the anime do have high score on MAL, there are couple of flaws. At beginning it was a thrilling murder mystery story as protagonist trying to uncover the secret. Then the series evolved the high action scenes that rivalled shounen battle power, that turned me off so much. At first the battle was used to show sort of unexpected progression like somebody got killed, then it revolved with every characters pulling new powers just to beat their foe. Yet once the series ended, i feel like im not rewarded as not all my questions answered.

As anime package, i think you should watch it. Everything about the anime is good except for story progression. I liked first half, interested with middle part but hate once it reached final climatic battle. It still left me with bitter taste at the end though.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I watched Attack on Titan Final Season Part3 - 1 Hour special 1st episode (yeah, blame weird naming)

Usually i wait when i watched whole series to review, and since MAL put 2 episodes as 1 entry, that mean i have to revisit the story in the future. Short review this time around.

Feel like 1 hour fly way too fast, after what happened last year i had to rush to read whole Attack on Titan manga until the end. So i can kinda can expect how the plot going forward. Aside from couple of action scenes, series felt like very fast paced moment-to-moment that i feel like 1 hour alone is werent enough (despite people said there barely couple of chapter left).

Considering this supposed to be "final arc" of the story, im expected it to be stretched more especially fan have been waiting for many years for this adaptation. Personally I would say previous season have more "hype moments" while this 1 hour special is another of episode in the series.

Definitely gonna watch 2nd episode in the future, need to wait like 6 months iirc.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
My childhood nostalgia HIT HARD!

I have no idea why out of many movie on my smarttv, i pick this one. I noticed this wasnt the old first movie and it look new. So i start to stream and watching it while eating, only to be totally invested with it until the end.

This series already done hundreds of TV episodes & this mark the 40th movie that in conjuction with 50th years anniversary, the some sort of tackle similar concept to first movie which I watched long time ago. After not watching any other entries for past like 20 years, i totally surprised with how good the production used in this movie. It kinda like old watercolour movie with slick animation. I also didnt expect to get super emotional throughout the movie especially near climax moment with its standard "work hard to succeed" basic theme.

Personally, if i watch this movie as a critique surely there are many aspects that I think I could criticize. Since this movie is made for kids, all those plot convenient that i kinda expected for it to happened especially how many close calls moment to death those characters faced several times. However the usage of basic CGI for dinosaur that look from video game is kinda turned off as they used semi-realistic design where it shouldve kept the watercolour (or toon shading) artstyle. Ending is melodramatic, but i loved it.

I think this movie would be a good entry for newcomer and as the old fan, its just brought tear of joy watching this. I kinda not expected to shred a tear despite i know it bound to happen.
LiamEvans210
Skeleton
3 | 0
Gintama 3 and Naruto is my favorite, i often rewatch them
Edited by LiamEvans210 5 months.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
What do you meant that there is plague in fantasy world too?

Random anime i pick on regional youtube anime distributor. Kept seeing this anime on recommendation feed, so i just to start watch it from start to finish and somehow i managed to finish it

Isekai trope blah blah blah. When our protagonist came into the new world, he realized that he can use his previous life knowledge to help people by curing illness and creating new medicine. He somehow unknowningly bestowed by power of medicine god, which allow him to create any substance as long as he know the composition. With that power, he then somehow involved to politic of curing the queen as well as opening up his own pharmacy where every people, either commoner or nobles came to buy his product.

I will be honest to say that this anime couldve been a hit if it went focused more on illness & treatment required, akin to a detective style of storytelling. Alas, the story went on to all generic stuff like opening a shop, helping people because he somehow the best pharmacy in that world, investigating a source of plague & finding the cure. The magic stuff arent even emphasized much, despite he somehow have big load of man tank, able to conjure any kind of big spell which couldve been used for more interesting way.

Despite I enjoyed some part of it but at the end it still a generic anime. More so, it also remind me of how terrible pandemic can be but it still failed to show how dread that plague can bring. If you somehow interested in medicine, maybe can give this a try.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Are you a hype moment prostitute?

In preparation to watch this season, I binged the previous arc series despite i already watched the movie. While it only add 1 episode worth of new content, thus i dont feel that i need to review that one. Granted, people said this will be the best arc of whole series so im kinda set high expectation.

If you already watched previous 2 entries, you pretty much already know what to expect from this season. It started with some sort of murder mystery where they need to infiltrate & investigate who is the demon that have been rampant in the red light district. The series then evolved to one big clashes at the end. We will able to see each character development, especially revolving them using new powers while struggling against super tough foe. Hype moment is probably the best way to describe this season.

Despite probably one of the "best season" as people said, at the end it still a shounen anime. People who enjoy battle scene probably will have joy with the animation, although i personally felt too flashy. You only have like couple of slow episode for character building then it straight bulldozer toward final part. I personally would love it to be paced better especially how exhausting the fight feel, like maybe foreshadowing the final boss more or maybe showing more how red district work.

No doubt it is good season, but im tired of power escalating out of nowhere during battle either from protagonist or the villain side. I still enjoy it, but abit not in all aspect for anime adaptation.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
My life as Inukai-san's Dog.

Wha...this...

Has anime gone too far?
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Why cant i have this kind of relationship at office?

After burned out and unable to finish many of childish anime, i feel like maybe i either need to tackle seinen tag anime or at least something abit more mature even if it considered mundane by general people.

This story is pretty much straight normal slice of life in working environment, where we have super small protagonist working in sales department. She have a senior which seem super reliable although can be abit annoying sometimes. Side characters are pretty interesting overall, especially relationship / interaction between non-main characters. Animation wise, it is kinda expected since im big fan of this studio which always made such a moe show. This time, production quality remain consistent.

As typical slice of life, if you cant enough mundane stuff this will be super boring. Although background story for each characters expand a lot, there arent much aside from just seeing people hanging out together. Even as romance or comedy anime, this isnt much going anyway making it just a bunch of short stories about co-workers. While i feel like at least there are some merit for the main couple, i feel like there arent much romantic growth between. Just some funny banter between those two.

Overall this anime is above average in my opinion, that solely because I ok with mundane slice of life & working environment. I do feel there are many other stronger option, could be better for you guys.