What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Lately I've been pretty invested in reincarnation stories in otome games or novels.

So I'll share some good ones with you:

The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs

The general story of those otome games is usually that some person is reincarnated as the villainess of an otome game, trying to avoid their death endings. This one however is entirely different, so much that it's a pretty unique approach, because the MC is male, and was reincarnated into this world as a character that's not even mentioned in the original game. As such he uses his knowledge of the game to get the best items.

Something particular about this story is that essentially 95% of the female characters are feminazis and this world is ruled by women. As such, being a male character and the third (useless son) of a lowly nobility, his newly-wedded stepmother just wants him to get killed in the army and take his compensation money. In order to survive he begs his father for a ship so he can go on an adventure instead and find the endgame items to make a name of himself.

Unlike usual Japanese mangas, the male lead actually has balls, which is pretty refreshing. He give all of his competitors what they deserve and thus makes himself hated in the academy.

Either way, if you want to see a guy shred Feminazi's confidence and humility to pieces, go take a look at this.

Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shite shimatta...

This is the story of Katarina, or rather Bakarina. (Baka=stupid).

She's reincarnated in an otome game as the villainess and tries to avoid her death endings, as usual. However due to her being so stupidly straightforward, and also stupid, she unknowingly charms all the characters that should've been against her and doesn't even get it.

This one is a heartwarming experience which excells at character developement (aside from the female lead) and lovely encounters.

Who made me a princess?

This is a story about a reincarnation in a novel. Again, as the villainess. The art is really fascinating and there were many times where I just stopped and admired the art.

The general story is that the Female lead was reincarnated as a princess whose father hates her and wants to kill her. As the story progresses with her trying to get on the good side of her father, you learn more about the past and why he hates her, which may be interesting and logical, but was a little obvious if you're into drama. This Manhua excells at the art and the story after the "Getting on the good side of father"- Arc, which is definitely worth a try, even though it makes use of an annoying, overused trope. Also, you wait half the time for one of the side characters to return, which makes you wonder why it takes so long, since he can teleport himself anywhere at any point. It's indeed interesting to see the Female lead trying to make herself loved by her father.

The Villainess Will Crush Her Destruction End Through Modern Firepower

This is a story about a female gun fetishist being reincarnated as the villainess. It's special because the female lead is actually more of a villainess than the original villainess since she tries to make an army of gun-powered soldiers in a world where instant-kill options are scarce. She's manipulative, loves guns and has essentially no magic power, which is why she has to rely on her guns in order not to get killed.

Personally, I think the pace is a little bit off. For now (chapter 19 released) she's still a small child and tries her best to make weapons, but I'd love to see the story progress a litle faster, especially watching her debut in high society and continuing. It's an interesting take on the genre nonetheless, but I'd advice waiting a little longer until more chapters are released.

Or you might love seeing evil grins on a loli. Then it's fine to start reading this right now.

Fiancée’S Observation Log Of The Self-Proclaimed Villainess

This is a story about... ahh whatever, you already know it's about reincarnation. Either way, the interesting part on this one is the fact that the Female Lead realizes she's the villainess and wants to play her part as best as possible. Which is then usually misunderstood by the other characters. She herself proclaims she'll be the villainess in front of the Male Lead right at the start, which is something the Male Lead finds so obscure that his genius level brain gets thrown away from his boredom.

If you like funny misunderstandings and a ridiculous story, this is for you.

For Certain Reasons, The Villainess Noble Lady Will Live Her Post-Engagement Annulment Life Freely

This time the Female lead plots to get her engagement annulled in order to live leisurely and freely like a big, life-long vacation. However at some point she is suddenly looked at as a saintess due to the medical knowledge she remembers from her past life.

If you're interested in the Female Lead plotting her best way to get back to her leisure life, this is a story for you.

Death Is The Only Ending For The Villainess

This is essentially playing a Dark-Souls Otome game in real life, except that it's harder. It's really depressing to see how the Female Lead is treated and especially so since she has to use pre-defined options. Her goal is to not annoy any of the Male Leads while trying to keep her dignity in order to raise the likability so she can avoid death.

The Villainess' Slow Prison Life Began With Her Broken Engagement

It's not really a reincarnation story. But it's really funny nonetheless. The Villainess is thrown into prison, where she's left to die of hunger. Unfortunately for the Male Lead, she prepared in advance, knowing she'll get thrown into prison. As such she deems herself untouchable while being in her cell, even locking herself up with another lock, so she can avoid the prison guards opening the cell.

It's such a ridiculous approach to the genre. Do you want to see a true villainess torture the asshole prince from inside her cell? Yeah, go ahead and read this. It's really funny.

More Mangas from this genre may or may not be mentioned at a later point in time.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Promising but confusing

Title : Id:Invaded

Does new technology make it easier to find the suspect from just evidences that gotten from crime scenes or does it will be harder as suspect will always find a way around it. Combine sci fi and murder mystery and you will get this series.

From the get go, the series look very promising. From the quality of anime production, to the effort used to create tension and to create beautiful yet confusing "digital dive" into crimes scene ...... crime particle. So this series divided by two main factor, one in real physical world trying to capture the suspect and another one in the digital world trying to detect the hidden identity. As the crime scene is full gore and torture, it made you kinda puzzled as the one in digital is more like clean and confusing.

While there are several support characters in the story that i feel steal the story more, our protagonist is really not a real person. It more like a representative of what diver wanted to be when he was young. While this is would neat if he keep the same personality from real world, every dive that he made somehow turn him into blank slate. Thus every time he dived, you will hear something like "oh there is a murder, and im a brilliant detective". To be honest, I love more real world counter part as digital is more about psychological thriller.

This is awesome series, but not really straight forward as too many parts of the series feel like kept as vague as possible, to put some sort symbolism. Regardless, if you like murder mystery combined with digital dive ala the Matrix, then this is a good recommendation.

Alternative : Murder Mystery no brainer suggestion is Psycho Pass and maybe Monster. But if you wanted more question about human and technology, i think Ghost in the Shell series is ok-ish. Another alternative I can suggest is Subete ga F ni naru.

A better sequel?

Title : Mob Psycho 100 II

There was a many hype for first season of Mob Psycho 100. It was from original creator of One punch man, and most of the hype answer once you see on how creative anime production go with its dramatic shots and scenes. So this will be a question if it can retained the over the top animation from first season or not.

When I was watching this, true to be told that I forgot almost all of plot points happened in first season. That said, with many season anime that usually designed to be long continuous series, it didnt do any recap and mostly you only need to several stuff about the general settings of the series. As usual, there are a lot of interesting fight and animation while watching this, which is treat to your eyes. However, I dont see much experimental animation this time around.

To counter that, this season however have more heart / realistic story to it. Especially it told more deeply about how psycho kinetic event happened in real world. For example, one of the enemy was based on urban myth. As more people talk about urban myth in the internet era, the monster became stronger as the fight going on. Just as empty minded our protagonist are, he simply beat the enemy without issue. That said, I think the strong point of this season is more about the story itself.

Many people said this is stronger entry, i would say I prefer the first season more for visual spectacles. However though, the story part of this season are pretty interesting as well. If you want to watch Mob Psycho 100 series, i still recommended to watch both season.

Alternative : Absurd anime with comedy recommendation are One Punch Man and Hinamatsuri. If you wanted spectacle series about fighting enemy, i guess Noragami series and Fire Force is decent suggestion.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
My gosh, i just lost progress of writing for 10 minutes while moving chrome windows around...

Overstretching to freaking drain.

Title : Kyokou Suiri
In/Spectre

I will this one short as I have to rewrite twice. Anyway, the main point I would like to say was that this anime trying to do faithful adaptation to its manga source material by trying to show every panels. The problem is, if you put super duper long story arc in anime with short season (12 episodes), how the heck you want people to be invested the characters or expand the characters?

The anime is a supernatural / mystery anime that have a girl with mysterious detective girls to work together with a male that have dark background story to tackle several supernatural incident in the town. The best part of anime is love / hate bantering of two protagonist with their quirk relationship. The anime does have some sub story about ayakashi / youkai, but mostly it was tackling story about urban myth killer. And this is one that killed the anime because it was super stretched for last 8 episodes.

Long arc is not bad in long running shounen series because it made you wanted to watch variety of fights and maybe superpowers. But how the heck you can stretch the story about murderous urban myth between main good guys and the villain? Thus the long stretch of "i counter your point, your counter mine, then i will finally counter your point again" for whole episodes. Granted the anime was slightly rearrange so that the long arc is ended with the series, rather than weak side story, but I still hate for overstretching of the arc.

The story is really promising setup, but in the end I was so disappointed with it. If you put a video games, this almost like putting final boss in 4th level that you have to fight for 3 hours while previous 3 levels only took 20 minute each. I believe it should be more episodic, more characters introduced and keep the long arc short.

Alternative : For this one, I would just list many series that I recommend you to watch rather than this series, which focus on character interaction and having cute girls : Kyoukai no Kanata, Gosick, Charlotte, Bunny senpai, Bakemonogatari series. If you wanted just supernatural stuff, then something like mushishi, Noragami, Mahoutsukai no Yome should fit the criteria.

Boobs and BOOSTO!

Title : High School DxD New

You might wonder why the heck im suddenly reviewing old anime? Basically I downloaded bunch of popular anime batches that have several seasons and a lot of seed so that I can finish downloading them properly. Second reason is because I was hunting any anime series which made by Studio Passione, which sadly the 4th season of this series. Thus im pushing myself here to watch several season / ova of this series.

As usual, since this is 2nd season of anime that I havent watched for years, there is no recap available aside from a protagonist who surrounded by beautiful female who will go naked in every episodes. While I dont mind the ecchi part in anime in general, it feel tiring since it almost like they try to shove their breast on your face every seconds. No reasoning, not related to plot at all, only fan services. Maybe I can accept them 10 years ago, but as current time, I need more reason to enjoy them.

As characters go, the rosters expand with several characters that came as enemy first, then finally joining them for final arc. Thankfully they were not part of the harem at all. As for combat, it already look outdated nowadays. Make sure you ready your ear because you will keep hearing "BOOSTO! BOOSTO! BOOSTO!" whenever fight begin. I wish I could enjoy at least the plot / story, but it also quite forgetful with fights of several races like angel, demon, fallen angels, dragon, vampire, holy warriors etc.

The series is outdated, most of the aspect are pretty average. Im questioning how people put this series as masterpiece (10 out of 10) on MAL. Probably it wasnt anime for me. I rather watch something average + new than finishing this series to be honest. But i guess I have to proceed through.

Alternative : Ecchi + battle anime is kinda old formula, if you wanted other similar one you can watch To-Love-Ru series, Trinity Seven, Sekirei. If you ask me my favourite anime with both element is Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu which have isekai + fantasy world at least.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Do you want to play a game?

Title : Darwin's Game

It have bee a while since I watched modern survival games anime. Most of them are revolved around risk & reward, thus it is perfect way to make the series more thriller and make you trying to anticipate the outcome of match. What happened if you introduced someone powerful that super strong that you know for sure will have plot armor? You will get this anime.

Our protagonist started get tangled in a game that he dont want to participate. Suddenly a deadly killer came chasing him and trying to kill him because of a game match. As usual kind hearted protagonist, he tried to find a way to win survival games without anyone die. In fact this is the main issue with the anime. While the beginning it was fun and interesting trying to learn about the problematic death game system, as the episode goes on it became more typical shounen as usual. All those mind game started in the beginning, it just thrown out of windows mid series.

As for characters, sometimes it feel inconsistent especially the character arent told their goal & background properly. Without spoiling much, lets just say that you wont probably agree on how the casts become team member. Intense action scene are in every episodes. this is best part of anime at least. As for the plot progression, only first 3 episodes was interesting to me. Too bad that the usual plot about fighting the cruel system arent properly resolved since 11 episodes wont be enough.

As usual, this is promising in the beginning but it went toward usual shounen pattern that doesnt bring anything new the table. I would say at least anime production are quote good and easily entertaining anime.

Alternative : Btooom! and No game no life are probably 2 games anime that I wish it have 2nd season. If you wanted a proper survival games with proper wrapped up conclusion, you can watch Mirai Nikki & Hidashi no Eden series. Oh I forgot to suggest C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control which are very very similar

Forget all fighting, let us eat instead.

Title : Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan
Today's Menu for the Emiya Family

Anime spinoff is not something new. There are many type of them, but personally I prefer the one that revolved around side stories, meaning it expand the main story without butchering pacing or adding unnecessary episodes. The other type of spin off are usually comedy / gag that play around existing premise in the main story. Another version of spin off is put characters in another timeline (when certain outcome / plot changed) or putting them in totally different setting.

That said, this is a spin off of Fate series. As a spin off, it rely heavily on you as viewer able to know most of the characters and what are their relationship. The bizarre part about this anime is that it is not exactly different setting, but focused on cooking instead. There are still rivalry between casts (especially the absurd volley ball episodes), but most of the time there are just hostile banter and no violence at all. Also, because the anime is pretty short (12 mins instead of usual 22 minutes), there arent much time for any character improvement.

Although slice of life usually rely on mundane stuff, this anime is pretty much relaxing all episodes with decent soft / cute artstyle that surely make you feel pleasant while watching. You might not like because there arent story progression or over arching plot, but that is the goal of anime. Just relaxing while watching our casts cook & eat. There arent much to say about this series though, and dont expect something grand either.

This series is probably only for hardcore fan of Fate series who dont mind watching characters being off-characters in different setting. Although I do recommend you to watch this if you like slice of life / cooking anime. At least I think it is more palatable than Carnival Phantasm..

Alternative : For similar feeling with cooking, I suggest Amaama to Inazuma & Koufuku Graffiti. If you want more soft slice of life, probably Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san & Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon.
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Dude watch Castlevania S3 it's siiig. Also still haven't watched the last episode of Kyokou Suiri and probably never will, so I agree with your sentiment. Just lost interest in it.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Actually kyokou suiri resolved pretty early in the first 5 minute of final episode. Then they went back to usual love / hate bantering with several closing for several plot. You might as well just watch since it is one of the better episode. It is kinda promise season 2, although i doubt it at this point.

As for castlevania anime, Im downloading S1 and S2 now. Seem there isnt any S3 out there yet so I will just review it once I get my hand on it somehow (probably online streaming).

Incompetent boring trash

Title : Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria
The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar

Along the quest of downloading multiple batch anime with a lot of seed, there is bound to have some anime with questionable quality. While I usually can tolerate bad anime, there will be a low threshold that I would need at least from some part of the anime for me to enjoy it. Since anime is a medium of entertainment, of course not everything can be top class AAA series. That said, this is pretty much bad anime that probably below quality of B-movie.

From the get go I already sense some issue with it. If you watched a lot of anime, you will notice that a single poster or opening of anime alone enough to spoil major plot lines of anime. This is why some anime usually put OP at the end of first episode (some even have extended first episode). So I know that the anime is about a male protagonist who got isekai-ed to another world while surrounded by cute looking girls that im 100% for sure will know that he will be chick magnet.

Turned out I was right. But to make things worse is that, THERE IS NO FREAKING STORY INTRODUCTION. It started with everything started in place, with our protagonist already established as leader of the "good team". Granted there already some girls under his control, and story go forward with more girls interested to join him. The story also trying to show some battlefield with all norse mythology naming as well as babbling some Sun Tzu strategy on battle (I mean, he came from future pretty much). And the one I cant accept is that he a got FREAKING SMARTPHONE which used to search over internet and make a phone call with his childhood girl friend. Artstyle look ok, but i would say just average level.

Again, Im questioning myself so why I did finish this anime. Generally while watching anime, I tend to play an open world games, which usually to keep my mind off from one activity to another (and since Im playing Destiny2 atm and im freaking bored with it, this made things much worst). If you have hours to burn, and somehow wanted to watch trash show, I cant even recommend this.

Alternative : Ok, there are tons of isekai out there, but if you really wanted to have harem + battle isekai / fantasy anime, then I suggesting Dog Days, Oda Nobunaga no Yabou, Tate no Yuusha Nariagari, & Gate anime. At least you know those are above average anime at least.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Who you gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

Title : Natsume Yuujinchou
Natsume's Book of Friends

Japanese ghost / folktale is something that have been part of anime since old days. There are several type of anime that revolved around them, from battle shounen anime, more slice of life without confrontation, or something in the between. This anime is more like somewhere in middle that focused around resolving issue with youkai / ghost without being too much violence.

Plot of the anime is quite simple. Our protagonist have realized that he have been able to see ghost (youkai) since younger ages. While it puzzled him for a while, it finally revealed that he was a grandson of someone who controlled several youkai via Book of Friends. By inheriting the book and knowing that the owner of the book is dead, all youkai are trying to get hold of the book as it is what kept them captive. Our protagonist can release this youkai freedom by granting their name which was written in book by performing some ritual.

As I said before, this series is very relaxing and lack of violence. It focused more on our protagonist daily life while encountering new youkai. Some of them are straight forward dangerous, while some of them are more like problematic youkai that required some other method to solve the issue. I think the most fun part about this series is the partner of our protagonist which is a cat called "Nyan-nyan Sensei" which tend to lead to funny bantering between two of them. Just take note that this anime focused more of singular story, thus no overarching plot (at least for 1st season)

This old anime is still quite pleasant to watch. It might be lacked on graphic aspect of modern production, but it have a lot of charm & heart with all other aspect. Very relaxing & calming to watch.

Alternative : If you want more serious take on youkai, probably Mushishi or Hotarubi no Mori e are quite good. For more shounen type anime : Kekkaishi & Noragami kinda fit (sry I can recommend any new battle shounen anime that fit this criteria since I rarely watch them). Oh I almost forgot that i watched the modern remake of Usho to Tora.

Why so serious?

Title : Shigurui
Shigurui: Death Frenzy

Again, story about my randomly downloading anime based on seed count have led me to this anime. This is one anime that I really hard to recommend to other people because of the content of the anime. This is mature + studio Madhouse anime which was released in 2007, which considered as era where Studio Madhouse tend to create super dark anime with very serious plot.

I will be honest, that I was turned off by this anime a lot. The main reason is because there are way too much gore, violence, nudity, rape and the realistic artstyle of this anime. Even by watching the anime poster above, you can see the blood effect. Does those thing make it a good story? It is depend, because anime is not just about graphic but story and everything else. Lets just say that the production of anime is quite good and pretty different even you compared it with several anime from that era.

However, my biggest problem with anime are plot and pacing. This feel like a slow burner anime where each scene will be stretched for very long time. Much more worse if it prolong to those gore & nudity scene that can easily can many people feel sick. And because everything was so serious, I dont get to know much about the story or the characters because it doesnt do the typical "hey Im xx, this is xx" etc. I have to read some synopsis just get the general information about the story.

I really cant recommend this despite it could be something different and mature. I was turned off by many aspect to a point that I dont care about the anime anymore (all those gore scenes will haunt me for a while). Seriously, get something more enjoyable as this is just too brutal.

Alternative : Samurai X & Samurai Champloo is probably more enjoyable series with some serious moment. But if you wanted a different take of serious stuff, then probably Drifter & Goblin Slayer could fit some serious niche.

Lets us be friends..... with benefit.

Title : Manaria Friends
Mysteria Friends

Based from title, Im assume this will be chill slice of life anime about friend. While watching it, it seem like a slice of life story setup in fantasy / magic high school. Although not often, but this quite standard world setting for any anime that focused on battle. However this anime is different as more relaxed and chill. One thing that I didnt realize that this was supposed to be in same series as Rage of Bahamut, albeit a spin off.

Story is resolved around a girl who is dragonborn who live among human. Being different, it seem like everyone trying to stay far from her. Then 2nd character is a princess that just wanted to be friend this dragonbond. Perhaps because she being a princess, she just wanted to be treated as normal person, thus she found the be candidate. Thus begin the series about their daily life, pretty much standard fare although this is in fantasy magical school.

However there is a big catch as this is a short anime (13 minute ish), thus there are no space for any character growth. There are no space for major plot either, making this anime strictly about daily life. There was some potential for heavy & serious tone to story, but it didnt go anywhere. I dont have many to say except the art are quite beautiful and kinda sad that it didnt do the series justice.

Should you watch? Perhaps no unless you are ok with this slice of life / being friend / having fun story. It didnt bring anything new and not even touching the other part of the series (2 tv series).

Alternative : For more story about friends / supernatural being, Maid Dragon, Mahoutsukai no Yome, Demi-chan was Kataranai should be enough. If you really scratching for magic school life, I suggest Little Witch Academia, Magi (2nd season), Zero no Tsukaima series
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Overpowered Overdone Overcomplicated

Title : Overlord III

This series is well known. For an anime to get 3rd adaptation meant the series are either popular enough or good enough for investor to see return to keep sponsoring all of anime episodes. Either it is a good story or not, it depend on which level you can accept about this anime.

I might sound negative but I dont think I can feel excited about Overlord series anymore. In the beginning it was fun ride especially you watch protagonist playing as super badass evil guy in the world. Eventually he created alternative persona to learn about the world. Same goes for 2nd season, it was main part of series to play around with the people in the world. However Im tired, not because it is boring but lack of clear direction what major plot this anime going about.

One of the reason why long running shounen work is because they generally established long term goal with their character. I no longer able to see what is our protagonist goal nor understand what the main purpose of plot of the story anymore. Yes it is fun to see human being toyed by our protagonist, but with more side characters introduction to the series, it feel it lacked of focused of what it wanted. Simply say, I dont see anything unique with overlord anymore.

It is bad? No. However I just rather watch a fresh new series at this point. The exploration + learning about the world is what made this anime was fun in the beginning, but as I said, I just tired with it at this point.

Alternative : For proper world army building / preparation, I think Shield Hero & Reincarnated as Slime have better setting. As for typical OP character in anime, I love both How not summon demon lord & Cautious Hero.

Why the hell Im not there?

Title : Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!?
Why the hell are you here, Teacher!?

Another short ecchi anime that will be in my another guilty pleasure list. Nothing much to say about this aside from it is the typical "borderline hentai" anime that might turned some people off. That why it is called H or... ecchi, get it? Thus read onward if this interested you.

The series is simple, it is just several short story about relationship between teachers and their student. As this is a tricky subject, of course this is not something that people enjoyed much. Just take note that all teacher are female and the male student came in various type characters. The strength are definitely the anime production where they managed to make all teacher look lovely and adorable. While there is no overarching plot, there are many of funny / cute moments throughout the series.

As I said earlier, this is ecchi scene. The teachers are always caught in weird situation and forced into sexy position. Bare breast are pretty much the result of it every episode. As typical ecchi anime go, our male student definitely will make situation worse and putting both of them in awkward position. This is usually somehow advance their relationship making them love each other more. Not much else thing to say about this series.

If you hate ecchi, then skip this. I just wish it became full series with more character development. But alas, this is from H manga thus definitely will be more shallow than most serious story.

Alternative : Tsuzure Children is the first one I remember about multiple couples in the series. Another series about couple with teacher is Domestic Girlfried and Onegai Teacher. If you like those sweet sexy stuff, then Interspecies Reviewer is the best.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Apparently this is not anime (according to MAL)

Title : Castlevania

Short history about anime in general. There was a time in 80s & 90s where american cartoon are outsourced to japan. I dont remember how many of them, but I think it was famous cartoon like thundercats and transformers. So now we are in era where any studio from any country will try to animate their story as close as to anime style. If you ask me, yes this pretty much anime to me. Since castlevania are very short, I review both season 1 & 2 at same time.

Season 1 started with some dracula backstory. This is standard revenge story, except dracula is super salty and trying to kill all mankind for their wrong doing. This anime is pretty brutal and crazy having tons of violent death and blood. It is quite well animated and have promising start. My only issue is, as one season of anime, it is pretty weak without much resolution. Character is standard with not much to elaborate. Granted 4 episodes arent enough, but I think it shouldve been easier since it just a small arc to resolve (church issue in the town).

Second second start SUPER SLOW. I dunno if it was a flash back or something but suddenly we are introduced with tons of people as Dracula. Aside from our protagonist, there are 3rd party who seem causing issue with the villains. All battle scenes are only came in at later part of the season which managed to make me less bored from its start. At least story arc are ended properly here although it seem to setup for more season. Nothing much to say as I dont notice any quality increased except for maybe their intro.

This series is ok for 12 episodes although I wish for more better pacing. Fun part of this anime are very little and there are just too much time wasted of pointless babbling. Still it is great anime production, much better than many other japanese studio counterpart.

Alternative : Vampire, it can be interchanged with zombie pretty much, Seraph no Owari, Tokyo Ghoul, Blood+, Trinity Blood (come to think about it, even Demon slayer can be put here lol)

5 girls running the town

Title : Sakura Quest

There is subset of slice of life that I think only resonate with small group of viewer. While everyone have been a student in their life (based on age group) but not everyone are already finish university and struggle with their work life. This is the subset which revolving around working adult. But that is not the genre, but merely demographic. Thus this anime is one of that combine slice of life & work life. What the different between this than other working adult anime? This anime are kinda more relaxing, and it feel like group of people working in club.

Sakura quest started very strong IMO. Our protagonist was forced to work in rural area for 1 year after failed many attempt to find work / jobs. As someone who used to life in city, it was entertaining to see her struggle adapting her life while being a representative for that area (a queen in fact). She grouped with other 4 members which have huge task to increase tourists to the area so that the economy of area can boom again. Since there arent many amount of people here, they struggled quite a lot.

The series tackle are big subject between trying to change the old method while losing all relevance or adapt with time and trying to catch up with technologies and current trend. Thus the beginning of our girls mis-adventure trying to create promotion that would give a biggest impact & good return. There are big struggle between both side that made it feel realistic as our real world not always will be rainbow & shine. Not all our planning will bring good outcome no matter hard you try.

That said, this series sometimes feel slow and lack of excitement. Granted it was slice of life heavy, but I feel like the series excitement drop after first few episodes then remain flat until the end. Watch only if you can handle slow pacing slice of work life anime. I was a bit disappointment with the quality once I know that this was made by P.A Works which I know can handle this type anime very well.

Alternative : Shirobako, Hanasaku Iroha both are better series with similar premise. Amagi Brilliant Park have similar rebuilding of old area. Lastly for seeing group girls working hard : Sora Yori mo Tooi Bashou is also good alternative.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
EXPLOSION!!!!!!!!!!

Title : Youjo Senki Movie
The Saga of Tanya the Evil Movie

I took a long break from watching anime as I was focused a lot on destiny 2. Since watching anime while not doing open world stuff (anything required more attention) will make me less focused on the anime. So this one I waited for the time when Im just chilling around so that I can pay more attention. Im glad that I did.

This movie is a continuation from first season. As usual, our protagonist is a OP little girl who can cast powerful magic which lead several mages battalions on the battle. Despite being almost realistic war setting, this is alternative history where magic are the key of a country and they are valueable asset to conquer other country. Story wise, this is pretty straight forward anime with simple build up, tension and awesome climax. If you enjoyed first season, definitely this is more light awesomeness.

The focus of the movie definitely to introduce the powerful antagonist for our characters. As someone who super OP in first season, usually we watch the series because we want to see how she handle situation any big problematic issue related to war tactic. This time around she met someone who pretty powerful which will be someone important in 2nd season. The strength of this movie is definitely the climax battle where you able to see crazy air maneuver as well as tons of explosions.

Despite powerful anime, this is not something i can recommend you watch as standalone. There is zero setup in the movie but definitely enjoyable watch for first season viewer.

Alternative : Quite hard to recommend anything similar unless you willing to watch any old anime. The feeling I got when I was watching this are : Strike Witches, Hisone to Maso-tan, Gate series & Steamboy (seem like there arent many traditional modern military anime that I watched recently).
EDITED : I just found the title, it was Alderamin on the Sky which is one of the recent one that I enjoyed.

ANOTHER EXPLOSION!!!!!!

Title : Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!: Kurenai Densetsu
KONOSUBA -God's blessing on this wonderful world!- Legend of Crimson

I will be honest to say that I wasnt fan of konosuba. The main reason was the quality of animation from Studio Deen, then the comedy isnt exactly my cup of the tea, and lastly I feel like the plot wasnt going anywhere. That said, Im kinda surprised to see that this movie was animated by JC Staff instead, which Im confident that it can maintain the quality, assuming they focus their staff properly.

As usual, there is zero setup in anime movie for first time watcher. We straight start the usual failure of the party to complete any quest. Based on title alone, this movie focused more on the favourite character of this anime (you know who if you watch the series). This time around, there are more setup in background story about the character, the hometown, some backstory about the villain as well as proper story progression.

Comedy wise, I think it is much better. I guess this kind of joke need to be done with proper execution and studio nailed it. Animation are super beautiful especially the final battle, and the quality are definitely improved multiple fold. That said, dont expect any plot heavy story aside from usual laugh moments. One of the good thing I can say about the movie is it got "heart".

This kinda redeem the series for me. I couldnt enjoy both season of the TV series but really like the movie alot. Great animation and entertaining. Would be great if they keep same studio to animate next season.

Alternative : Hard to suggest any other magic spectacle anime movie unless i go further back to old anime. 2 anime came to my mind are Magical Lyrical Nanoha Movie series (pretty good) and Puella MAgica Magi Madoka (excellent).