What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Hmm, couple of stuff need to take note off
I know i missed couple of good 2021 stuff.
I aware of them, but totally forgot about it as I focusing on other stuff.
Also considered 2020 was pretty bad in general

*Also arcane got special mention at the end, so i probably will try to experience it somehow
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Spectacle end of long 25 years old journey.

I subscribed to amazon prime for Jedi Fallen Order, and noticed that all EVA movies on the list. I think I should took opportunity and binged all rebuild movies before the finale. No doubt, it was confusing but I watch several synopsis to explain the story abit.

In order to understand how grand this franchise, you have to look from perspective of its director itself. Rebuild of EVA movies are to answer one simple question, what if you have unlimited time and budget to retell a story from different perspective. From the get, the movie are definitely eye treat with several large scales battles since this a fight about end of all humanity. The stake here are just too big to explain, since the whole journey itself revolved around the real world as well.

Pretty hard for me how profound I feel when watching this. Yes, if you follow plots scenes by scenes, it can feel mess & convoluted. You will have more questions than answer, especially if you forgot most of the theme of why these movies exist in the first places. Perhaps you will need to dive deep into many other medias or story intrepratation so you appreciate what the director trying to bring here. However the grand the movie are, I feel like it ended just bittersweet & abit lower climax than older conclusion (End of Evangelion).

Only watch this if you already consumed all entries in the series : Original TV series, Death & Rebirth of Evangelion, End of Evangelion, Rebuild of Evangelion 1, 2, 3, then finally you can watch this. Also, you need to watch alot of documentary that lead to creation of these movies.
Taem
Necrobot
2469 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I agree with iwansquall's opinion of this series so far. It sounds GREAT in theory, a very cool concept, but it is executed poorly unfortunatly. The focus seems to be more on the girls and sexual inuendo than the main story which TBH could have been great if it were written better. As it stands now, I'm several episodes in and am not really interested to continue watching it because of the lack of an over-arching story-plot. Each episode feels like the last one before it... girl sees ghosts and tries to pretend she doesn't... It's unfortunate because this series has a lot of potential.

iwansquall wrote:DID YOU SEE ME? YOU DID SEE ME RIGHT~~~???!!!!

Another weird recommendation in my other discord, saw them keep uploading the screenshots from every episodes. I heard it is pretty decent manga, although i have no expectation from it.

This anime is straight forward about story of a girl who suddenly able to see ghosts around here. Most of the ghost design are pretty scary & there are just so many unsettling scenes in the series. There are couple of ghosts with reasoning & theme behind each of them, making unique story in own way. Because the girl need to avoid eye contact with the ghost, there are just many scenes where she need to act like normal even when around her friends. There are some comedic moment in the series, but mostly supernatural.

I dunno how to rate this series to be honest. As atmospheric unsettling horror anime, it is pretty good. But at same times also it feel like normal slice of life story about girl in daily life, struggle to avoid ghost while hanging out with friends. Despite there is some small story in each of the episodes, the overall story plot feel nothing. There is nothing much character development aside from the MC learn more to cope with her situation. She weirdly monologue alot in the episodes, combine with weird artstyle.

Only watch this if you can stand unsettling stuff. I wouldnt watch / recommend it since it just too weird. Despite you have option to play with whole medium of anime, the anime emphasize too much on gross design.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Came in for yuri-bait, came out with depression

I only have couple of day until my amazon prime end, so I just pick randomly cute-looking anime. It have been a while since I watch any cute yuri series (aquatope doesnt count), based on the poster it seem like a good choice.

Oh boy, I was totally wrong. The beginning of the series are akin the typical anime story where usually a caretaker & protecting the person they treasure the most. They usually will try to work hard, save every small of amount of money, just to see the person smile & happily enjoy their daily life. However the series immediately turn to dark about human desire in every episodes. Every person have their own twisted desire, and this have been used as a drive to unravel story about our protagonist relationship. It is unsettling in many ways.

However, the animation production wise arent that great if you see from anime production standard, but it was greatly enhance many of the moments in the series to a point that it managed to pull me in every episodes. Sure, there are many stuff feel terrible and doesnt make sense, especially if you think from logically perspective. As i got baited with its cute artstyle, the horrible dark and thrilling scenes can make the series feel jarring to watch. I would even said that you might not enjoy it.

I suggest you give this series a try. Despite its low score on Mal (below average) there are something uncomfortable experiences that I think everyone should feel. Afterall, the stuff portrayed here can happen in real life, we just never know about it.
Taem
Necrobot
2469 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
iwansquall, what do you consider your top #10 must watch animes of all time? I would like to see those ones if I haven't already.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Taem wrote:iwansquall, what do you consider your top #10 must watch animes of all time? I would like to see those ones if I haven't already.

Each of my favourite are product of its own time, sometimes the time I watched anime that exactly perfect for what i needed at that moment. Generally i would give alot of scores / biased for any tearjerker as i will leave emotional (even the mediocre anime like previous review shocked me until now).

Effectively those are anime that I put 9 or 10 in my list here
Any 8 score without bias should be good enough for everyone

1. Azumanga Daioh - Evergreen comedy, slice of life, high school with heartwarming feeling.
2. Clannad After Story - Tearjerker for new married couple (but you have to go through romcom clannad first though)
3. Madoka Magica - Is a series that best watch if you know less (get bluray for cleaned up scenes, or at least the 3 movies)
4. Fate/Zero - Probably one of the epic clashes in fate series. Just take note of its split cour release (s1 & s2)
5. Steins;Gate - Greatest scifi series anime, I got immersed with its movie, ova & 2nd season (steinsgate 0) too
6. Hunter x Hunter - One of the best shounen, anime adaptation perfectly ended (although we wont get proper conclusion)
7. Toradora! - Cute, wacky romcom that have decent plots & finale
8. Space Brothers - Realistic slice of life about working toward space with dream & hopes
9. Your lie in April - Another musical based tearjerker that you shouldnt spoilt yourself
10. Your name - Simple short movie, telling about fates & story of 2 person (best for 1st watch)

I do have several others on the list, but I think this are the one that should be watchable for most people.
Special mentions:
Gurren Lagann, The world god only knows, Nichijou, Full Metal Alchemist (need to watch both), Made in Abyss, Fruits Basket, Smile Down the Runway, Jujutsu Kaisen, Eureka Seven (only 1st season), K-On, Magi, Death Parade, and many more
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Watching Tsugumomo, and so far it looks on the low end of average. Hopefully second season is better.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Someone definitely an oddball here, and a furry too.

Going through of great anime in 2021, I put quite high expectation from this anime. Especially I know it will be focused more on the story & character rather than artstyle or flashy animation.

Turned this series is FREAKING GREAT. It is quite hard to explain the story without going spoiler territories so I will be vague about what I liked about the series. First this probably one most realistic mundane story anime about characters from different background. Each of them have a long going thread that going to entangled into each other. It also built up with tons of mystery about several incidents that happens in the city. Our protagonist thought he just want to be normal person, then realized it was too late and caught in the net.

Hard to say anything negative aside from the simplistic artstyle. It feel like a weekend morning cartoon that is simple and straight forward. Despite it used animal as its main characters, the series doesnt fully utilized the whole premise with animals. Funny thing, there is even pet animal in the story, making it a weird choice. As for the story telling go, the series try to give background stories to many characters in the series, but not felt fleshed out and I feel there are several unresolved plots.

Despite simple artstyle, dont miss this story. It is seriously feel like watching a mystery (or thriller maybe?) that being unraveled in every episodes. It is not exactly ground breaking, but engaging enough to watch from start to end in one sitting (like i did).

EDITED : Read some reviews & story explanation. It exactly explained several issues I had with the story, so treat the series higher than what my negative perception have been.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
What if the cat is the best girl, but not human?

Not a plan to watch this, but just started randomly from youtube playlist. Based on the title and many other "roommate" anime, i was expecting something basic & terrible anime quality.

The story was kinda straight forward slice of life story from our protagonist perspective. He is someone that social awkward, just lost his parent and struggle to write his next novel. He suddenly stumbled with a cat that he took back to his home, as some sort of companions. Then the best part began, we now able to see from cat perspective! Many situation that seem cat acting in weird situation is actually explained in this half. She noticed that her master not able to take care of himself, so she took many initiatives to help him.

Pretty hard to say anything negative except this is just like many other slice of life anime. If you dont like this genre, you probably wont like this either. As typical story goes, they met new people, our protagonist learnt how to take of his cat as well as fixing his weird social anxiety. As the story goes, the cat become more wholesome and adorable while our protagonist becoming ... normal person. Regardless, the story itself told in such interesting way. Score of the anime would be lower if werent for the cat.

Despite you might dont like slice of life, please this anime a try. I was surprised especially of cat perspective story, although it feel bad that they cant communicate (human & cat afterall), but it feel like they were nice couple.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I dont have friends, I have families.

Random anime I watched while trying to test my tv setup. I didnt expect much except it was playing in the background while I cleaning up the room. But I looked interesting so I watched until the end.

In the beginning, I will be honest to you that this will be looking like generic isekai anime. You have OP MC that revived and given 2nd chance after dying because of overworked. She wanted to live a simple life, continue to kill slime for 300 years. Eventually she reached max level and somehow became the strongest character in the world. Everyone want to get to know her and she managed to turn them to live with her. Hence the beginning of the story of chill slice of life anime with girls doing cute stuff.

My biggest issue with this anime is that isekai concept is useless. There are minor occassion she remember about previous life where she died from overworked, asking other to relax. 300 years have no effect to the plot aside putting weird level. Max level and killing slimes nothing much except as plot device to make her OP as heck. Nevertheless the story became standard cute girl doing cute things where our protagonist trying to increase her family counts as she invited more people.

If you cant stand normal moe blob anime, I dont think you will enjoy this. Personally I feel like average as i dont feel anything unique about it aside from similarity with many other series. I just appreciate that I can watch it while relaxing inbetween other more serious anime.