What games are you playing atm? V2

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
A rather new game piqued my interest lately: Hearthstone Battlegrounds.
At first I had no idea what to do and how to play this game. But I crossed the border to a match making rating of 7000 a couple of weeks ago and just realized I'm in the top 1% of the playerbase.

I also love that it's possible to play with friends since the latest update on semptember 8th, so I've been playing mostly with friends lately.

For those who don't know: It's an auto battler. You buy minions of different races, with varying stats and unique mechanics. The person with the most minions on the battleground starts, and his leftmost minion attacks first at random (unless there are taunt minions, which get attacked first). If both players have the same amount of minions, a random player begins. And that's already all there is to the basics.

However there is a lot of strategy involved. Of course you want your most valuable minions to be seated at the right of the battlefield, but you also need to protect them with taunts, divine shield and other things. If you're familiar with Hearthstone, you'll have an easier time, because the basic mechanics are still the same.

What I like about the game:
- You have many different playstyles thanks to the different races that have their own ups and downs. Mechs for example have devine shield, which can be really strong since your minion doesn't get any damage the first time it's attacked. But it's balanced in a different way: Mechs don't have nearly as many strong buffs as other races. Murlocs on the other hand have many group buffs, which makes them quite durable in midgame (unless you die in the early game) and on top of that, they can also get toxic minions, which means they only need to deal damage to the enemy minion once to kill it.
- Every race is actually quite balanced.
- Thanks to RNG, every game feels different. There are games where you have huge luck and get every single card you need, and there are games where you just get garbage and just lose. While playerskill is important (to pick the right things at the right time), luck also has its part. That reminds me of something a friend once said to me: Skill is when luck becomes the standard.
- It's more of a luck based strategy game rather than pure gambling.
- Every patch completely throws the meta out of the window. Last patch for example, there was an arcane cannon. It was especially strong with pirates, so most people went to play with pirates. Now that they removed that single card, pirates are a lot better balanced.
- Most heroes you pick are actually quite good. Only a few of them have limited use. But even then you can get to first place without using your heroes abilities if you play it right.
- It's free to play
- You need to play with what you GET instead of what you WANT. There are some key cards that determine what you have to build around with, most of which can be found on Tavern Tier 3. For example there's a juggler (he shoots 3 dmg at a random enemy if a demon dies), who's a huge red flag to go build around demons. For mechs it's that 3/2 divine shield minion that gets a damage bonus and a new divine shield whenever a mech dies. For dragons however it only starts around Tavern Tier 5, when you can buy the dragon that gets +X/+X where X= the amount of dragons you control every single round. Pirates are tricky, since when you start focusing on them you already want to have some decent pirates. The most needed pirate however is available at tavern tier 4, since he buffs every attacking pirate with a +2/+2. Murlocs on the other hand just need to be on your field for long and take every buff you can get your hands on, which already starts at tavern tier 2. I'd say most people choose which way they build at tavern tier 3, which is quite early in the game.

Things I don't like:
- My favourite hero was removed (the one that buffed race-less minions)
- Somtimes RNG pees on you
- There are so many heroes that you barely ever play the one you actually want to play this time I still haven't played most heroes
- You can BUY a huge advantage (choosing between 4 heroes instead of 2 at the beginning) for 20 €, which is insane imho. I love the game, but I double dare anyone who tries to pull my money out of my pocket in that sickening way.
- endgame usually comes down to: who can get Brann first and who gets more buffs out afterwards. Or: Who has more toxic minions.

Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I started to play Grim Dawn again as 1.1.8.0 patch came out a few days ago, last time I played it was maybe 1.0.2.0 or something. :D

Noticed that Veteran is MUCH harder now which is great as main campaign was so lame and easy before, now you actually have to think what to equip and how to act against certain mobs/bosses. Also first time using Grim Internals and GDStash, they are such a QoL improvement, they are like Median Offline Tools, once you try it you can't live without it.

Started as my favourite (from Titan Quest too), dual-wield Nightblade, as offence is the best defence. Still wondering what to pick as second class, it's either Soldier, Occultist or Oathkeeper, all of them have nice synergy going on. I'm leaning towards Oathkeeper, then I have three "teleport" skills, awesome resistance reduction and speed. Kinda piano-playing but that's what I like, doesn't get boring.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Dark souls of the third person shooters

Title : Remnant : From the ashes
Genres : Coop, 3rd person shooter, Souls-like, Boss rush, RPG

Dark souls is such phenomenal game that anything hard and brutal will be called "dark souls of...". This game took some formula from Dark souls franchise, but it is totally wrong to say that it is a mere carbon copy. Personally, i think this is very close to 3rd person diablo rather than dark souls tbh as it have procedural level generator rather than intricate level design like dark souls series have.

Firstly I need to explain the genres of this game. This game took all the slow & methodical parts from dark souls, but it is designed for replayabilty with ARPG mechanic. It have stamina for dodging, ALOT of tough boss fights, various gears customization, universal trait / perks leveling system, and simplified 3rd person shooter system. You have 4 difficulty settings for each world (adventure & campaign) and I just finished campaign with my friend on hard difficulty. Seem like the game allowed for 4 player coop, and start with 3 different archetypes (ranged, support & melee)

Now I will explain about the game itself. This game start SO FREAKING SLOW, it tried to copy dark souls concept of timing for using dodge rolls, using your potion, as well as using your other items. And worse in coop games, SLOW revive speed. This eventually lead a boring perks design of "increased 20% speed for specific task" as well as several powerful endgame perks that unlocked so freaking late into the campaign. As for endless grinding design, the layout of the world is freaking boring & look carbon copy once you played once or twice. I even memorized the formula of : open area -> dungeon -> boss -> open area -> dungeon -> world boss, one rare item, one tome of knowledge, 2 side quest, 1 extra event per adventure generated.

Crap, I shouldve finish review but i forgot to touch FREAKING BOSS FIGHTS! Some of them are fairly well design, and it scaled up in coop. But majority of the boss always been "hahaha Im just gonna throw unlimited minions at you so I can make your life more suffer!". It feel cheap especially some of the boss have 1 shot kill ability, some have pitfall, and some have outrageous moveset like insta teleport to melee you. Overall, I feel like the bosses is one I hate the most because it was designed challenging, but in a cheap way.

This game felt like vs horde of zombies sometimes, but i guess that is the result of having random level with random encounter. While I can appreciate the concept of the games, you have no ideas how many i said "F THIS GAME, THIS IS TERRIBLE & LAZY GAME DESIGN" while playing it. My suggestion, get a group of friends, switch around your roles & you will enjoy the game more than playing solo.

Alternative : Souls like example The surge, The Lords of Fallen. Coop 3rd person shooter like resident evil 5 / 6, The division 1 / 2.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Jampula wrote:I started to play Grim Dawn again as 1.1.8.0 patch came out a few days ago, last time I played it was maybe 1.0.2.0 or something. :D

Noticed that Veteran is MUCH harder now which is great as main campaign was so lame and easy before, now you actually have to think what to equip and how to act against certain mobs/bosses. Also first time using Grim Internals and GDStash, they are such a QoL improvement, they are like Median Offline Tools, once you try it you can't live without it.

Started as my favourite (from Titan Quest too), dual-wield Nightblade, as offence is the best defence. Still wondering what to pick as second class, it's either Soldier, Occultist or Oathkeeper, all of them have nice synergy going on. I'm leaning towards Oathkeeper, then I have three "teleport" skills, awesome resistance reduction and speed. Kinda piano-playing but that's what I like, doesn't get boring.

I only recently played Grim Dawn as well, since a group of friends desperately tried to find a game we all can play together. And your words are true. The main campaign is so boring. We basically just played Crucible all the time since there is actually permanent action. But after level 50 the exp you get is abyssmal. Playing for an hour of constant pressure, killing enemies without a break only to then get a single level disappointed us quite a lot. Then we hit the main campaign, just rushed through to get that delicious +100% exp potion from one of the cities way back in the story, and ended up getting 3 levels in an hour all the time. But it was boring, simply for the single reason that monsters level with you. There's never a challenge, it's never too easy. But that's why we didn't feel any sense of accomplishment and thus we dropped the game halfway through the second difficulty at around level 80. All we wanted was playing crucible.

I, too started as a nightblade. But I tried it as an auto-attack build, using soldier as secondary class. It went really well. I didn't have too much AoE, but the damage was decent, especially against bosses.

And Hearthstone Battlegrounds just recently resetted the match making rating... I'm trying to get up to 7 k again before the median patch drops next week, but I wonder if I will be able to since they changed a lot how that system works. It's now made to please the whiners and ragequitters since now everyone starts at 0 and for every 500 you get there's a barrier where you can't drop below. Say you get 7001. Then you lose the next game and you won't be able to drop below 7000. That of course rewards luck streaks and changes how much impact the actual player skill has on the rating.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
ParticuLarry wrote:
Jampula wrote:I started to play Grim Dawn again as 1.1.8.0 patch came out a few days ago, last time I played it was maybe 1.0.2.0 or something. :D

I only recently played Grim Dawn as well, since a group of friends desperately tried to find a game we all can play together. And your words are true. The main campaign is so boring. We basically just played Crucible all the time since there is actually permanent action. But after level 50 the exp you get is abyssmal. Playing for an hour of constant pressure, killing enemies without a break only to then get a single level disappointed us quite a lot. Then we hit the main campaign, just rushed through to get that delicious +100% exp potion from one of the cities way back in the story, and ended up getting 3 levels in an hour all the time. But it was boring, simply for the single reason that monsters level with you. There's never a challenge, it's never too easy. But that's why we didn't feel any sense of accomplishment and thus we dropped the game halfway through the second difficulty at around level 80. All we wanted was playing crucible.

I, too started as a nightblade. But I tried it as an auto-attack build, using soldier as secondary class. It went really well. I didn't have too much AoE, but the damage was decent, especially against bosses.

And Hearthstone Battlegrounds just recently resetted the match making rating... I'm trying to get up to 7 k again before the median patch drops next week, but I wonder if I will be able to since they changed a lot how that system works. It's now made to please the whiners and ragequitters since now everyone starts at 0 and for every 500 you get there's a barrier where you can't drop below. Say you get 7001. Then you lose the next game and you won't be able to drop below 7000. That of course rewards luck streaks and changes how much impact the actual player skill has on the rating.

Yeah I also noticed serious exp loss in 50's, luckily I had Lockar in stash, weak but +exp.

It surely crushes bosses! I chose Oathkeeper and built acid one.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2340 | 216
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
still on path of exile.

league is good now. not great. not Breach league levels of mindblowing. just good. new skills rebalancing, i take it or leave it.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
What a freaking downgrade.

Title : Watch Dogs 2
Genre : Open World, Hacking, 3rd person shooter

I dont mind game to change the game inbetween iteration, but when you adding something new, change something good & adding some sort of mediocre stuff into it, you bound to get imperfect product.

This game change several stuff from going happy-go-lucky protagonist hacker who joined an hacker group called Dead Sec. In future era where you will have computer controlled in every aspect of your life, from your city, your house, your banking & your mobile phone, there are big cooperation would abuse the system by selling crucial user information to third parties. This is main goal of our hacker group in order to make life more fair as the big cooperation are usually full of corruption (including police).I appreciate the additional tools the player get with hacking stuff (remote control drone, quadcopter & portable lift)

As for why I said it is a downgrade, they removed all bombastic action / bullet time from first game (go watch dogs john wick gameplay) which made the game felt more tame, inability to go rambo made game feel like a bit boring. Not to mention that I felt that we no longer able to cause mass destruction with hacking system like causing enemy's grenade to explode. AI is busted as usual in this game especially when you trying to play like a stealth games as everyone seem to have visual enhancement eyes that can see you from 100 meter as long as there no object blocking the way.

Watch Dogs 2 is ok games, but I still prefer the first game. I think i prefer edgy revenge seeker from first game as it felt motivation much stronger despite being evil. This games felt too simple and Im lucky that I didnt spent money on it.

Alternative : If you managed to get first watch dogs. No other alternative as hacking open world is quite unique mechanic to this franchise... maybe give Deus Ex series a try i guess.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Pretty short alright!

Title : A Short Hike
Genre : 3rd person adventure exploration, platforming, relaxing

This game is pretty short, with average completion time of 1 hour and 15 minute (i did it in 50 minute). I wouldnt need to write much about this game aside from maybe telling if you want to spend money this game or not. The game have one simple goal, climb up the summit of the mountain in middle of island. I will spoilering you and say that you need some ability unlocked before you can climb up there. First a simple tool you can unlock is golden feather which is your stamina bar for you jumping and climbing. Combined with ability to glide effortlessly, this game will put you in ultra parkour mode in no time.

While you on your adventure, you will meet town people (animals actually) which each of them have their own stories to tell. Some give you a simple quest of collecting stuff while some will sell an upgrade to you once you have enough gold. There are tons of tools at your disposable from digging treasure chest, pickaxe a shortcut or watering can to water a plant that can bounce you super high. All in a goals of giving you tools to climb the mountain. Additionally, there are tons to stuff to be find in this games and the island & mountains sometimes feel like a maze.

Should you buy the game? Depend if you think it the price (i dunno, i got it free). It is pretty chill games although I dont have plan to 100% this game (as I usually dont chase achievement on epic store). Despite a short time I spent with this, I wish I can spend more times with it (if it have more content rather than collectibles for achievement).

Alternative : This is pretty almost like walking simulator, so several suggestion would : Firewatch, Oxenfree. For relaxing atmosphere, I guess I got similar feeling like when I played My time in Portia. Lastly, for very similar metroidvania feel, i suggest Tok Tori 2.
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Prime_Evil wrote:still on path of exile.

league is good now. not great. not Breach league levels of mindblowing. just good. new skills rebalancing, i take it or leave it.

Leave it.

*All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy*

Basically, I have no time to breath. Busy period at work. I occasionally play my FM2008 save. Other than that, waiting for annihillus mod and I might try it- who knows.
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
And yet You are here posting useless post :) hipocrit kaziol. Will forgive You if send rakija in large amounts.

Baby on the way ?

On topic - uninstalled PoE before this new season and no ragrets. Playing football outside, squat and deadlift in gym and some forgotten D2 mods on pc.