What games are you playing atm? V2

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
It freaking too deep for me.

Layers of fear is made by a developer that pretty well known for creating unsettling atmosphere games. I played several games made by them so Im aware on what kind of experience expected here.

The game is started on a ship interior. Since it is empty, you pretty much explore the surrounding until you found a small theater. Interacting with the projector & movie film, it will bring straight to each chapters story. It seem like it tell a different story in each chapters, which each have their own theme. There isnt much to say aside you walking from one room to another room, usually follow with room warping around weirdly. There is small section of puzzles but mostly too easy.

My problem with this game is the story is really hard to understand. I had to read some story synopsis to get it. Even with lore told in interactable, there isnt much "story" to read aside from random weird object or pictures. The whole jumpscares isnt scary at all, and most of the instant death is just a small gimmick that punish for you not understanding on what to do. I mostly got bored walking around (thankfully i had 2nd monitor so i can watching something else) while the game giving random babbling talking about story that i dont care.

Just ignore this games. Many reviews said it worse than 1st game and I agree. I played many walking simulator and this probably one of the dull & boring with nothing to learn about.
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
VAlheim with two friends. Thats the kinda game I like. Its intuitive, you choose your own pace and its super fun to co-op.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
It is not easy being green....

This game have third sequel (seem like they want to treat orc must die unchained as separate entry) coming out, so they made a free week promo for this game. As I mentioned before, I had some connection issue, but a simple Hamachi solved it partially.

When I played the game, I enjoyed 1st game more mostly because it was a simple single player focused games. You have a lot of traps as your arsenal where you need to be waves of orcs for several rounds. Coming to 2nd games, it was kinda designed for coop. There are just too many multiple lane map that you need to shift your focus according. Playing it on coop is just what it meant to be. Additionally, the two characters have slightly differences in trap loadout, so mostly we both just played our unique traps and compliment each other.

It is hard to say what i disliked about the coop experience of the game. We both are kinda "sweaty" guys who really wanted to perfect all maps. So because there connection in this game is terrible at some times, it made us almost rage quit because getting disconnect after 20 minutes in with no chance to reconnect. Also, the game have some loadout restriction between solo and coop. In solo you can bring 10 different stuff, but in coop we are only allowed to bring 6 only. Since the game is kinda forced you to bring some weapons (since it is harder than solo), that only limited you to 5 traps each.

I was lucky to buy whole franchise at 95% off long time ago. The game is brilliant and fun in coop, but because of the connection issue, it is kinda hard to recommend this. If you just wanted to play solo, i only can recommend 1st game.

*Im getting sloppy with the picture, sigh.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Too many cooks can spoil the broth.

This game was chosen as a joke to my friend, because i know how silly and shallow the gameplay it will be. Turn out the gameplay is fun in chaotic way, there are just several times we just wanted get 3 stars in story mode.

As i said, the gameplay is simple. You have several action like pickup/drop item, throw item and dash. The challenges of the item is how you navigate through every changing kitchen in various level. Some of the kitchen throw some challenges by adding variety of dishes, while some are just challenging in term that you have rely on your coop partner to cook something. There are several timed stuff on the kitchen like you cant cook too long or it will cause fire that wreck havoc in your kitchen.

As for bad side of the games, lets just say that this can be probably one of the most infuriating games i played this year. Some of the kitchen is just pretty unfair with its layout that made some cook have more tasks to do than their partner. As for the part that I hate the most, is probably the level that required precision movement or you will fall into water. Combined that with small delay on internet, you get recipe for disaster. As for the ingredient hard to distinguished, mostly is because it looked similar (like uncooked / cooked patty) as it is small on the screen.

Both of us got the game free on Epic. If you have friend to play with or maybe couple of extra controller to play with in living room, this is highly recommend games. Just be chill and dont be too serious like us where we are kinda raging at each other. The moment we finished the game and saw the requirement to get 4th stars, nope we decide to end the game immediately after story end.

* On side note, there will be steam sales in 4 hours ish. Im planning to find any decent games that would be similar like Death Stranding. Atm Im looking to binge several spring anime (they end in June / July), so expecting more anime review soon.
Redemption
Gravedigger
195 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Been playing the new Dungeons and Dragons Dark Alliance the last 3 days. It’s actually a lot of fun, especially when you got some friends to play it with.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Weebing out on Scarlet Nexus.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Third time the charm.

Im sure you know that I just played Metro Last Light (prequel to this) and I wasnt feel anything great about it. Mostly because it was linear gameplay that felt outdated with some question / clunky design.

Oh boy, the developer turn everything around and make good games. I was skeptical & laugh at the game issue when I started to play this. The fun of this title is started when you finally reach the third level, which is the open world part of this game. It pretty much give you so much opportunity to scavenge for gears and find good weapon parts. Additionally, your playstyle will affect the story alot. I used to play the game by killing everyone, but this time around, you can just sneak around, knockout some people and you will good karma.

The story revolved around moving on a train from one region to another region, thus you cant simply go back to do 100% achievement / collectible run. Hence why I just stop playing after the credit roll. Despite you able to scavenge, the resource only boil to 2 basic materials and mostly you scavenging for ammo, filter and parts. Cutscene sometimes had janky /weird animation jump, but overall it pretty and immersive. Lets just say that despite there are 3 part of open world section, most of all other levels is pretty linear.

Not gonna lie, Im happy when I got good ending for this despite not following any guide. I just follow the NPC dialogue that tell not to kill any local people (or it will give bad karma), although I save scumming alot. If you have the money, this is simple the best FPS on survival horror genre.
shrimp
Daystar
693 | 14
im w8 for chorus :bounce: #15
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Row row row your boat, gently down the stream..

I have no idea why I decided to buy this once steam summer sales start, but one thing for sure, we need a coop games that designed for 2 people and it revolved around crafting survival. My friend was skeptical because of cartoon design, but he now more hooked with the game than me.

Raft is super popular last time because apparently any crafting survival have chance to find niche audiences and have potential for popularity on youtube. But Im abit different, despite I can play many open world games, I need a tracker or something that I can cheap track off. Something that I can grind slowly while fun at same time. Raft is a game that i feel was interesting for maybe first couple of hours, but once I know how to survive, the only interesting part is story island itself. There are tons of stuff to enjoy definitely, but not for me.

First issue is how the blueprint system work. The game progress all depend on you unlock certain material, putting it in research table, then magically you know how to craft something. This felt like cheap progression, especially you unlock multiple gear from the get go. Next some late game useful blueprint are locked behind story island, but as I said, I wanted to stretch the gameplay for very long time, making all the early part tedious or boring. Worse part definitely the underwater, mostly because the shark respawn and will hunt you non stop.

Raft is fun, but personally i feel it is not ready. The development super slow, considering it is already 3 years in early access. Story is super short and i wasnt fun of creating most nice looking ship. If you have friend to play with, this definitely a blast.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I eat human for breakfast and I caused global warming

You probably already know that I have been searching for crafting survival that can be enjoyed PvE with just 2 people. Seeing this game is super cheap and really popular bad then, we just took a leap into unknown territories.

And it was mixed feeling in the beginning. Mainly because I played the game more than 2 times. One was playing solo to research about the world, another one is with my friends where we took our time building base and explore every map. I was almost give up with the game since there isnt some sort of "progression" that keep me going forward. Only when I reach the ending, the story truly unfold and most of the notes make sense. Then I really enjoyed the games that I feel like Im traveling in forest in the wild on my own (just like hiking in Death Stranding). Lets just say, it is almost to a point I can remember most of the important places in the map.

To be honest, I dont think the forest have that much of negative. Sure the game tried to be realistic with its visual and limited inventory cap, but at the same times you can have 2 huge logs and bunch of stuff in your inventory. Crafting is very intuitive and I dont need to refer to any blueprint once you remember the recipe. The cave is fun integral part of exploration, only kinda spoilt with resource that replenish every times you going into it, making it like easy dungeon without enemy. As for building, we just build some necessity stuff and that alone cost us like hours. Mostly because of the limitation of carry logs around.

The forest is probably my surprised experience this year. Easily one of the top 5 games I played this year (behind subnautica & death stranding) that I think you should give a try if you have some friends to play with. I even 100% achievement this games, albeit with some cheat just for the 100 days survived (it will take 40-60 in game hours, needed to be in 1 save file, i played 2)