What games are you playing atm? V2

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
^ I can only agree to both previous reviews.

I bought Stranded Deep back when it was still in developement as an Early Access game (which it still is) a couple of years ago. Back then it was extremely good. But they ruined lots of things. One of them is the building menu, which isn't in any good order at all and the size of the islands, which they reduced so you're forced to visit different islands, which I personally think doesn't make much sense. I rather wanted a game where I have a single island to survive, like in the film "lost". I can tell you, that the game used to be a lot better and that the final version is worse than back when I bought the game. If you read the steam reviews you'll see that I'm not the only person saying this.

Subnautica is truly a lot better. The way you gradually improve your ships is really worth it and makes it all feel consistent. There's no boredom, but at the same time you don't feel overwhelmed because the upgrades depend on how far you reached in the different biomes. The lack of cutscenes is actually refreshing. Imho cutscenes serve no purpose aside from pausing the action and thus ruining the gaming experience and turning it into a video experience. That's not something I'm very fond of when I want to play. Anyway, the backstory is told well and it still seems all way too mysterious. Traces of an ancient civilization that was killed by... No worries I'm not spoiling ;)
Subnautica is also a game I bought back when it was still in early access.

The developer team of Subnautica wanted to continue working on it. But at some point they ran out of funds, so they just declared subnautica finished and started working on a new project: Subnautica Below Zero, which reuses some models, like the scanner for example.

That means there are things they wanted to add to the original game but couldn't. That doesn't make the game feel unfinished though, which is a strength. It's just that there are still empty parts on the map where some other biomes were planned. If you go far enough, you'll end up riding your submarine against a wall and won't get any further. And that pulls you out of your experience at some point.

Below Zero is still in developement, and the team listens to the feedback of the community a lot, which is exactly why it's been so popular and gets so many good reviews.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Thanks for some input, at least i know this thread isnt dead.

Actually, there is one idea that came out to my mind. You notice that I tend to write review only when I finished the game (story related, 100% map or something) which tend to take hours per games. Sometimes i feel like I need to give my review despite not finishing the game, but enough to judge either game have a potential hook or not.

Actually there is game randomly stumbled, but since it is endless game, probably I cant finish it nor I can reach endgame stuff. I was thinking if you guys are ok with first impression review. This probably much shorter review, but probably with more promotion stuff you can check out on games that you might not considered. Example would be something like Path of Exile seasons, a new game release, a huge overhaul of game, a revisit to old improved finished games etc.

The idea is simple, sharing stuff here, but not just with couple of lines of text. I will try to make it interesting at least. This will allow me to posting review at rapid pace. However, I will not go out of way to try every new game, a game demo, or game i think not worth to share (something i probably hate for poor quality). I hope I can share the game i played, while albeit maybe just after short while (I cant see myself playing more endless gacha games nowadays)

EDITED : So here it is. Im so gonna get judged by this.
Oh, main reason is im randomly stumbled while checking games on steam.
Fit the theme of sea & beach.

I did it for research purpose, i swear!

So here comes what I have been eager going for last couple of hours. While I know the downfall of this type of gacha games, I think I can control myself either to leisurely play this, or downright uninstall it when I get bored in future.

Game is about managing a resort that full of Dead or Alive franchise girls which you can train to play in volleyball games called Venus Festival. You can do several stuff like training your girls, managing their outfits, setting up strategy & skills, creating your own room design, taking photoshoot, gifting a present and playing volleyball. The reward for every of your progression are several key items you can use to improve your girls, unlock new story and more importantly, new scenes for photoshoot. The story are delivered in visual novel style, albeit with 3D models. Only multiplayer component i assume is getting a helper girls during volleyball or grinding ranks events.

Negative part of the game are definitely because it is gacha games. Thus there are some energy system that prevent you to play the game too much (unless you pay of course). Unlike most of other gacha games, girls you unlocked are treated as central with options to upgrade the outfits. While the management part can be complex, the lack of player control while playing volleyball is kinda sad. Making it more like watching loading screen than playing the games (although game is more kinda like clicker games that you excited to see number raise up).

My goals with the game is probably to play until i got bored or I wanted to focus something else. At least to get first weeks rewards to finish first. As for my recommendations : give the game a try for maybe 1 hour to see if you like it. (although it took freaking 8gb to download).

Alternative :
Trillions - Super hard girls management sim that task you to be a boss with trillion health.
Moero chronicles - Dungeon crawler with some girls management as well as rubbing minigames
Hunie Pop - Less girls management but more like dating sim, emphasize on match 3 games.

*Hmm, seem like i still wrote like giving a full review. I need to cut down the wall of text i guess
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
^ Now we're finally getting on the dark side :punish:

I recently played Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
It's an interesting, but not necessarily new take on the ARPG genre. You start as one of 3 classes, who are all exactly the same except for the starter weapon. You have stat points you can allocate, you have a huge passive skilltree like PoE, but not quite as big, and your skills are based on relics that you can find and learn.

The amount of skills you can potentially have is very limited. Merely 12 or 13 skills for dexterity based and warrior based builds, which isn't a lot tbh. Only mage has more variety. In addition to that the balance is simply horrible. For example, there's a kind of black hole skill that pulls enemies in. It's just absolutely OP, killing all minor and medium mobs, while almost killing big mobs single handedly.

Skills can be upgraded with a rune system like Diablo 3, but instead of being able to pick only 1, you can pick multiple that require different amount of points. For example you get your first point when you level the skill to level 5 the next at level 10 if I remember correctly and so on. Then there are different kinds of upgrades. For example for the skill I mentioned above you can spend 1 point in order to increase the AoE of the skill, and you can spend 2 points to make it last 2 seconds longer. There are multiple different options, which I guess is meant to lead to build variety.

Honestly, I like this skill system, but it's not 100% perfect since there are some upgrades that are absolutely necessary. The Frost nova for example only receives an AoE buff at level 11. So you can't really use it up until that point.

The fights usually take some time, especially when there are summoners somewhere that you don't see on the screen. That grants the game a medium difficulty, which is at one or another point unfair, but most of the time it's fair. So difficulty wise, it's in a pretty good spot and only requires minor tweaks.

You have 4 stamina points (which can be increased later on) that you can use for a roll. That makes it easy to get across the map from 1 mob pack to another, but it also helps tremendously in sticky situations like boss fights.

Then there's something regarding combat that I didn't use at all, unless I was forced to: When you fight you get some kind of resource that you can spend to turn into a huge angel or devil with a completely different skillset. You can choose 1 from 4 and unlock the others later on automatically. I personally didn't like it, but some boss fights required me to use it since it makes you invulnerable. And some bosses can also use this, so you simply need to either use it or run away or you get instakilled.

The itemization is okay, but it could use some more depth. However as a baseline for future updates it's okay for now. I just noticed that there are some legendarys that are absolutely insane. I found some gloves that only gave me 10 health and 3 resist, compared to the gloves I wore with 280 force shield and 220 health, but they had this fantastic modifier: "Enemies killed explode in an AoE for 500% weapon damage" which I of course needed.

Some background to Wolcen: It released in february 2020. Then it got a huge shitstorm because of all the bugs and the lack of content. A couple of weeks ago they released a new content patch that was supposed to fix most bugs. Well, they didn't and instead introduced new bugs. For example there's the new blood trail mechanic, which was stolen from PoE. Those bloodtrails are usually in front of some story bosses and when you follow them you can fight against another boss before the story boss, which also grants items that are stronger than usual, but also add some minor negative effect that makes you weaker. For example: you get +30 Force Shield but you have 5 health less. In general it's always a buff still. Anyway, I got sidetracked. Those bloodtrails however were bugged for me. A bloodtrail usually requires you to walk from 1 location to another multiple times. However, sometimes the locations just don't spawn. You only notice that when you get there, that you can't continue the bloodtrail because that bone pile is missing. That wouldn't be an issue. But listen. Unless you finish a bloodtrail, you can't progress in the story, because some kind of barrier is built up. Like a door that will only open after you finished the blood trail. That means that this bug is absolutely game breaking, because when you get this bug once, you will get this bug again and again and I have no idea what I did to cause that bug. Anyway, on one of my characters I tried the same map 5 times and the bone pile just wouldn't spawn. So my character couldn't progress and I had to start over.

After that I encountered that bug AGAIN. So the only logical thing I can do is simply not play with blood trails (which you can choose on character creation)

This is essentially a complete and utter rip off. A new mechanic was added that fucks up the game. Old bugs weren't fixed. Minions clipping into walls, constant laggs whenever some boss spawns, progression lock...

This is really sad. The developers don't give a f* about the community. That's also visible when it comes to reviews. In the recent weeks the reviews on steam went from "mostly positive" to "mostly negative" in merely 7 days.

And all of this makes me kind of sad because this game has indeed some potential. The graphics is stunning, the game is fun, builds are pseudo-deep enough to force you to test things out, but I simply can't go on playing this game because of all those bugs. I played through the mainstory at least (which I didn't care about) and the endgame only consists of a Diablo 3 rift-like system, which is really not that great. In addition to that the game suddenly changes when you play through it. You become the lord of the city and you can grow the city and build new things, and depending on how far you got in the last rift you finished you get time points which increases the progress of the buildings. For example a 1-stage rift merely gives 16 points to all buildings in the building queue, but you need 100 for the first few buildings. However, if you die in the rift you get nothing.

Honestly, I don't understand the design decision behind that. Why would you turn your ARPG into a RTS all of a sudden? Doesn't make much sense to me tbh. It's like that one WoW expansion (I believe it was Legion) where you could form an outpost and farm the mines in that outpost, build things, get crafting materials, send hirelings on missions and so on. To sum it up: boring.

Anyway. Bugs and lack of endgame content, skills, and balance aside, that game does have potential. But as it is now, it's just a sad rip-off of other ARPG's and Hack'n'Slash titles with enough gamebreaking bugs to make you furious.

Should you buy it? Well, if you want to waste your money, sure, go ahead.
Edited by ParticuLarry 3 years.
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Played Terraria extensively or should i say addictivly. Finished the game, got over 100 hours on steam - time well spent, money worth to get it. Good content, lots of action, fun and exploring. Plus if You have friends (hopefully) then You can do random mini games like speed runs from scratch and so on.

Now, installed Divinity original sin 1 and started to play a bit. Felling this fallout spirit all over again. Will see how it goes from this point. Will also do a co-op with a friend when i get headphones and mic, typing while playing is meh.

Fallout 4 is in reserve slot at the moment.

Enjoying vacation, what can i say.
Texalic
Grubber
333 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
iwansquall wrote:I was thinking if you guys are ok with first impression review. This probably much shorter review, but probably with more promotion stuff you can check out on games that you might not considered. Example would be something like Path of Exile seasons, a new game release, a huge overhaul of game, a revisit to old improved finished games etc.

I would say that the first impression is what matters the most, if I don't like the beginning of the game it is possible I won't finish the game. Why to play sth you didn't like from the very start.
iwansquall wrote:I did it for research purpose, i swear!
*Hmm, seem like i still wrote like giving a full review. I need to cut down the wall of text i guess

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I would say that image you've posted seems to be more than enough. You have your first impression which is short but it gives us details what is the game about, and its pros and cons, I think that it more than enough. :P

Anonymous: wrote:Played Terraria extensively or should i say addictivly. Finished the game, got over 100 hours on steam - time well spent, money worth to get it. Good content, lots of action, fun and exploring. Plus if You have friends (hopefully) then You can do random mini games like speed runs from scratch and so on.

I have the game for a long time, only tested it so I can see how it runs on my old PC, still waiting for sth to start with it. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm playing Teleglitch: Die More Edition
I'm not good writing reviews so I can only try my best to write for what I think it is at least good or bad, in my case that means I always look how good is the e.g. UI, game controls, game features:

Good:
Runs very smooth with few basic controls, very simple, and of course, you can change them
UI is very simple and clean, and you can sort the stuff in inventory acc to your desire which is very nice
https://images.gog-statics.com/0ac781f8 ... 52465a.jpg
Map is I would say top down view of your current area you are in with few marked areas in it and it is easy to navigate through it
https://images.gog-statics.com/60a9cca0 ... 2d8b05.jpg
Generated maps, I like it - one "addition" to this is that at the end of level you can choose one teleportation pad, yet there is only the name of the areas where you are going, so it is really nice since you never know what you can expect :P
Detailed database of story you read during the game, info about weapons, monsters.
Permanent death- yes, there is permanent death, but if you reach e.g. level 5(7,9) I think, then you can start the game from level 3(5,7), so it is not that you need to start the game from the very beginning :P
Arena - there is arena in the game, for each level of arena you can choose different weapon set for it and then try to beat the arena with it, that is one very nice addition to the game.

Bad:
Well, it isn't that bad but this is more text based narrative game, I wish if it was voice based, it would greatly improve the whole experience.
No in game music - there are 5 soundtracks included with the game but that is it, not satisfied with this part :x
Screenshots - no matter what I've tried game doesn't save my screenshots, since I own the game from GOG maybe it is related to the GOG Galaxy... :?: :evil:
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Thanks for then input, much appreciated. I think i will go forward with this setup even for full game review later.
I think later in future i should put how many hours i spent each games, this one I played until i got full 4 characters party (after getting Lisa & finishing prologue)

Seriously, i was suddenly decided that I want to play Genshin Impact while sleeping.

There was a time during playing Destiny2, that I decided that I never want to put my hand on any gacha or free MMO games. I have hundreds hours across several games like hearthstone, love live, bang dream girls & command and conquer rivals that I immediately stopped playing after beginning of 2020. Mostly I played gacha mobile games only while I was commute to work in train. Thankfully, I think I can control myself (still spend few hundred USD though...)

You all probably know about this games, but lets just say that Genshin Impact will revolutionize the future of gaming which will merge all platforms to be central (another one is cloud gaming by microsoft). This is considered high budget + cross platform games that managed to rake several millions revenue in just couple of days. Enough about that, just take note this considered well polished gacha games. Aside from stuff i mentioned in the picture above, this game do have multiplayer features, but Im just playing it alone atm.

The game started quite bombastic where you lose your twin & being nerfed to powerless. You wake up and greeted by "emergency food" helper Paimon. She will guide you around the story while sharing info about the world (i forgot the name). From there you will several new team member that will join you while tackling some dungeons to help city from calamity that just arise. You can move around the world (even climbing a cliff) to scavenger resource, clearing enemy camp, solving some puzzles, as well as powering up (typical RPG stuff that is time / money sink), all while you can spam ability / attack normally (meaning no transition screen like old JRPG)

As for the negative, I tried to use both controller & keyboard in the beginning, but it felt weird because the way they setup their keybind. I also dislike their menu navigation system, which I think is garbage and required too many unnecessary click / cause misclicks. While the game look fancy with their abilities & animation, there is some stiff / slow feeling like inability to sprint for long time, slow climbing animation, inability to dash + jump + hover, a small delay while changing characters. While spell combo is good, basic attack combo is just meh.

Genshin Impact is not bad, but all the issues I have felt like they havent done proper User Interface & User Experience (UI & UX) testing that could be the result of this multiplatform. Slow start (despite throwing bajillions of items to you) made me feel like pointless in the beginning. Thankfully the aesthetic & story make up for it abit. I dunno if the game will get better, but I will play until finish main storyline (meaning not grinding endgame stuff). Oh my recommendation : you need probably 2 to 4 hours before you can get feel of it.

Alternative :
Neptunia 4 Goddess Online - Not the best game, but the impact of gameplay feel more immediate.
Full Metal Furies - 4 characters brawlers, when playing single player this have much better character switching.
Trine series - Physic base puzzle platformer, switching characters to solve puzzles differently
Witcher 3 - Cause why the hell not, despite shallow combat, it still more interesting design choices in many parts

*Ops, i did again with 5 long paragraph. Anyway, i will try to put colour to emphasize on my text for easier reading. Hopefully that will help.
Colour code : green = good, red = bad, purple = joke, cyan = info, yellow = alternative only. I dunno what happen if you read this with different forum colour though.

EDITED : I just realized typo in first impression picture..... captured twin, not captured wind.... there is probably other typo or grammar that i havent realized
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2340 | 216
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Bought "Sense - 不祥的预感: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story" on steam almost immediately after reading about the controversy and death threats SJWs and extreme leftwing scum sent the developers over how big the main character's tits are. They wanted censorship and the publisher immediately refused. Would that every game publisher had those balls nowadays.

It's not a bad game either. Very reminiscent of Clock Tower , which is one of the inspirations.
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
I googled that Sense game just to check how big the "plot" actually was. Well, seen better pixels in steam ...

That Teleglitch game camera/light work reminded me of NOX. Good times.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
@Iwansquall Funnily enough, I tried out Genshin Impact last weekend. I just wanted to add, that the slow pace of walking, climbing and so on reminds me very strongly of Zelda Breath of the Wild. I played until the first story mission was finished (which happens when you finished the 3 temples, which, like in Zelda, is basically the "how to play" part)

Afterwards you need to get your adventure level to 10 to actually start the game, and that's when I stopped playing the game, since I skipped the tutorial that explained how to increase it by accident.

As for the stamina: You get more when you progress. I don't quite remember how exactly it increased, but I think it happened when I found another god statue somewhere on a hill. So that part can definitely increase and thus make you faster in the long run.

Anyway, I think Genshin Impact is the closest you can get to breath of the wild if you don't have a switch. The main difference is that you don't have a single character and switch weapons every 60 hits, but that you switch between multiple characters even during the fights and switch weapons only when you roll a better one. Plus the skills system which makes combat easier than it was in botw, though it doesn't feel as natural and intuitive.

But I still wouldn't pay for the gacha since the basics of the game are so leisurely ripped off of zelda. And they don't even try to hide it (for example I saw some spirit that looked very familiar to that bunny spirit in zelda lol)
Jekajio
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
At the moment I am playing Path of Exile, one of the best PC role-playing games ever, in my opinion. Hope that PoE 2 will be released as soon as possible. In the meantime I will be investing into PoE currency and services :)
Edited by Jekajio 3 years.