What games are you playing atm? V2

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
shrimp
Daystar
693 | 14
next part of project cars, test new cars :yay:
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Farming simulator on steroid.

Title : Forager (Nuclear update)
Genre : Farming Simulator, Cute, Crafting Survival, Zelda-like

Genre mashup is not something new, however it is hard to balance because if the developer focus on the wrong thing, most player will find something off with game and drop the game. This is the same feeling I had with this games.

This game is the one game where will give you overdose with stimulant like a clicker game do. While normal crafting survival general very slow and tedious in the beginning, this game went through super fast to a point that you WILL get overwhelmed with stuffs to do. Unlock new technologies every level up, expand your farm / manufacturing area by expanding to new island, solve puzzle and defeat dungeon. Once a while, there will be NPC who will give you task / quest for you to complete.

The fall for this game to me is when it reached mid / endgame. Because the scale of resource required to improve your manufacturing factory, you will have wait very long time or clearing whole maps multiple times. Once you unlocked all island and skills, the game reached the ending for me. There are nothing to aim for aside from doing all achievements which I assume gonna take me another 20 hours. Worse part is... there is no technical ending for this game. So I just decided that the game become too boring that I have to drop it since I dont like to play any sandb0ox games without proper ending.

This game have solid first 15 hours until you unlocked everything. Then after that is your persistent to keep playing or not. This isnt ARPG "ultra wide endgame" things to do, this is why i found the game boring in endgame. Watch youtube early game first before you decide if you wanted to buy this or not. My suggestion is, if you dont like farming simulator without ending, avoid this game.

Alternative : My Time in Portia did so much better despite it have problem with pacing / sloth progression. Smoke & Sacrifice is another excellent games for crafting survival games. I dont play many type of this games that doesnt have story, hence why I have to drop it.

Im getting too old.

Title : 20XX
Genre : Platformer, Shooter, Rogue-lite, Difficult

This game genre is similar to old megaman where you will go through 8 different bosses, earning weapons and then beat the final encounter. However, for a twist, this game add a roguelite mechanic where it encourage you to replay the game until you get all the upgrade.

Does the game success in making a difficult games? Yes. However there are several key design element that I HATED this game for. Mainly the platforming section where it consist of random generated platform (partial handcrafted) but it can get more harsh the more level you completed. Sometimes it can just lead to brutal combination that surely will damage you couple of point. I can tell you that i cursed this game several times when the character doesnt move like i wanted to, especially when you fall to pitfall (which luckily only deduct 1 health)

Because this is a rogue-lite games, expect A LOT of grinding in the beginning especially to get more powerful upgrade for later runs. I started the game with normal difficulty, but I have to revert to easy difficulty for 3x lives (tries) per run. This games is surprising hard as it doesnt restore your health or ammo after completed each boss level. Instead of 8, you can only pick maximum of 3 boss weapon, so dont expect you can steam rolled all the boss once you have the counter weapon. The bosses also getting much harder + tougher in later level.

The most cursed design I guess the final 2 levels as well as the super final boss (which Im wont spoil) which are super duper difficulty spike. You have no idea how happy Im once I beaten it (even on easy mode). If you like tough as nail megaman-like games, then give this a try. Just to expect much from rogue-lite formula unless you willing to spend more than 5 hours in this games (each run is about 1 hour if completed full 10 levels)

Alternative : Not many similar games, maybe I should just like Gunvolt, Hell Yeah, Bleed 2 & Rive. If you wanted a bit super hard games with platform games then 1001 spikes & Bunny must die!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
MY SALT LEVEL IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Title : Salt & Sanctuary
Genre : Souls-like, Platformer, Metroidvania, Action Sidescroller, REALLY FREAKING TOUGH

Yet another souls-like games in form of 2D sidescroller which I think one of the closest feeling. I heard a lot of praise about this games and I can see why it is it. I bought this as a complete metroidvania package on steam together with Dead Cells.

I will be honest that I was turned off by this games in the beginning. Something about the artstyle threw me off, and im only playing once i have run out of things to do in Destiny 2. As other souls-like formula, this have all aspect of it from tough boss battles, depressing environment, various different armor & weapons sets, customizing your build. Speaking of customization, I think i kinda like this style of skill tree progression where you choose your path in skill tree instead of blindly adding stats in souls games. Despite looking weird, the game is pretty brutal with its combat and crazy enemy design.

Map size are pretty big and I have to resort to using full map and game progression guide as I kept getting lost. Boss fight came in various forms from small agile type to big menacing badass. Granted that although there are many to discover within the games, I dont feel like I wanted to replay the game to unlock all achievement or getting true ending, since it is very contextual timing requirement (technically im playing semi-blindly). As for sanctuary concept, there are many factions you can choose depending on your playstyle, although generally the more powerful one are locked further into the games, basically designed for NG+ purpose. There some ability you unlocked to help reaching new area, but sadly I think it wasnt fully utilized much aside from maybe the super useful air-dash.

However, the game far from perfect though. The dodge-rolling mechanic rely heavily on very precise timing & you will be at mercy of hitbox. Because enemy are designed to be "dodge-through-able" at certain frame, there are many instance in the game where I died because the dodge refuse let me to go to other side of the enemy. Another my issue with game is the colour palette which FREAKING DARK around the corner. While I appreciate the darkness in cave area (emphasize on torchlight usage), there many times you wouldnt able to see enemy or their projectiles coming to you because it hiding behind the shadow. Lastly, WHY THERE ARE FREAKING JUMPING PUZZLE IN SOULS LIKE GAMES? Gosh, I have issues with platform because the game is not designed to be fluid like many other platformer, and yet some area required precise timing of it.

Should you buy the games? DEFINITELY. One of my "enjoyable experience" that I finished the games in just 3 days. Despite all the negative part, I think some people can enjoy it with "GITGUD".

Alternative : Vagrant Story, Valdis Story, Death Gambit, Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, Dandara. There are many gritty metroidvania / 2d soulslike on steam. For unorthodox suggestion : Unepic

Revisiting old friend

Title : Torchlight 2
Genre : ARPG, Cartoony-Artstyle, Hack n Slash, Diablo-like

I dont need to say more about this game. I played + completed first NG with engineer in hardest difficulty (Insane I believe) in one of the earliest patch. This time around, I have a friend where he played embermage. Needing another tank, so I choose Berserker which is kinda... not really a tank. My review here solely based on playing torchlight 2 in 2020.

This game is what I considered as casual experience than many other ARPG. While other games is pretty tricky to into especially on leveling part, I think the game have quite smooth sailing in the beginning. Despite you unlocking skill a bit slow to my taste, you get new gear and level pretty fast. The internet gameplay is pretty smooth, and i feel the playstyle of our combo pretty synergized. I did have difficulty in beginning, but with some proper gearing, I have ok time with it. While most boss are tanky, I just realized how forgetable them are.

Now the negative part. Despite only playing veteran (2nd hardest), the difficulty spike in NG is just ridiculous in Act3. I have no issue collecting gold in act2, able to upgrade all my gears easily. The act 3 is really the turning point for me. I cant survive even 3 normal mobs, keep running out of gold to buy potions and maybe it was problem with my berserker to survive on veteran difficulty. As usual, I also felt bored with TL2 skill design, boring to run through map system nor I willing to play NG+.

Torchlight 2 is a solid ARPG, but not a game I considered "enjoying" in term of discovering new stuff with it. Kinda like mindless fun. Perhaps we couldve install synergies MOD and respec tools to help with the flow, but having problem with difficulty spikes & problem getting decent gear is not something I enjoy.

Alternative : You really need alternative for ARPG in ARPG forum? Really? OK fine, here some unorthodox suggestion : Victor Vran, Van Hellsing, Grim Dawn / Titan Quest, Book of Demon & Forced Showdown.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Im on verge of uncertainty

Title : Axiom Verge
Genre : Side Scroller, Metroidvania, Eerie Atmosphere

I aware of the background of this game. It was made by solo developer in memory of someone. But as a video game player, all i wanted it an experience from playing video games. If the games isnt good or not fun, then obviously i will say negative thing about it.

This game is a love letter to Metroid from early 1980 during 8 bit. Additionally it combined with other element like having several weapon to choose and several upgrade that you traverse to certain unreachable (standard metroidvania formula) area. Story is about a scientist who caught in a lab explosion and brought into strange world. He was tasked to help restoring the world while defeating the evil final boss. The map is quite huge, and there are tons of collectibles and lore to be find. Thankfully the mobility / ability upgrade in this game are quite good. You able to spawn remote control drone, which you will be able to teleport to them to reach new places.

However, there are a lot design I really dislike. First is how utterly limited / useless weapons are. What the point of having 20 different weapons when only some of them will outclass the other. Boss design is also quite terrible, either very bad AI, terrible pattern or just ridiculous design (final boss especially). Most of the enemy are pretty much just a gear check, once you have enough upgrade, you will trivialized them (except last area since they assume you got enough upgrade). Fast flying enemy + terrible gun = it is just nightmare to shoot them. If you are not reading any walkthrough while playing this, have fun backtrack a lot of hour as this game lacked fast travel (it still have a simple transportation though).

Axiom Verge doesnt bring anything new to me aside from the said remote drone upgrade. I dont get hooked with story or the world. Difficulty balance is way off with super terrible enemy / boss design in final area. Probably you might be able to enjoy it, but I definitely didnt (steam review score quite high)

Alternative : Just refer to other metroidvania suggestion i gave several times before. You bound to find many better games than this.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Torchlight 3.

Its garbage. No surprise.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Prime_Evil wrote:Torchlight 3.

Its garbage. No surprise.

Torchlight 2 with Synergies is awesome. How can someone play T3...
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Realized there's a widescreen patch for Disciples 1 & 2, went back to play the dwarf campaign which I never did in Di2. Afterwards gonna play Di1 with undead & legions. Never could get into that game after Di2 due to low res.

iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Confused identity of the siblings.

Title : Darksiders 3
Genre : Action, Platformers, Souls-like, Post Apocalyptic

Before I can get into this game review, you need to understand abit of history about this game. THQ & original studio that made this game have gone bankrupt. Nordic bought the right & revitalize the franchise by asking Gunfire games studio (consist of many original studio staff) to make a new entry. There are some news that this game would be on smaller scale & budget, but doesnt mean it will change my review about this game.

This game, just the predecessor always change the formula for the game. The main concept always been : slaying demons, exploration for items, big boss battles & interesting lore / world building. Lets just get out of the way to say that Im feel ok with most of artistic part of this game. Characters design look great, especially their boss / enemies design. Graphic looks alright, although I feel like the game couldve used must more graphic enhancement as this was made using Unreal Engine 4.

Oh boy now for the problem. First issue is the world navigation. For some reason, this game ditch minimap which is kinda understandable (copy dark souls design) as the level design is like a maze with multiple layers. Problem is, there arent many of the "that destination I need to go" which the strength of dark souls formula. The game rely heavily on waypoint system which made navigation more bareable. The only level I think was well made is probably the last open area which have decent puzzle, shortcut, enemy placement and ability to see your next destination (level called The Scar).

Now come my biggest gripe with the game. It tried to combine 2 different opposite formula of hack & slash vs methodical combat like dark souls. Hack & slash generally focused on big crow fight, have decent crown control, wide open camera. However, dark souls focus on close up camera, slow combat based on stamina / timing, more about 1 v 1 situation. The end result you get is weird unfair combat system that made me question the dev tbh. Despite the game emphasize on dodging enemy attack, there are many issues like small timing for dodge, enemy tracking & hit you multiple times without stamina, limited dodge direction, dodging sometimes lead you more vulnerable position and the worst is probably you can die in just 2 or 3 hits.

This game is very limited scope IMO. The combo, weapon choice, ability design all scream old school design which i think is a miss opportunities. It is a decent games, Im no gonna lie. But the combat seriously made me rage several times while playing this. This feel like B tier games tbh.

Alternative : Seriously, just go play first two entries of this franchise (or maybe you can play it after finishing this to see my disappointment).
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
I played some Disciples 2 mods in the past 6 months. This is the best one so far that I've played.
https://norvezskayasemga.wixsite.com/d2bfwmod

New units, new spells, new zones. Lots of rebalancing. Although the Clan is pretty brokenly overpowered. Its kinda tough to play against them which is cool. The original campaigns are very challenging with this rework.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
A girl that gonna wrench everything.

Title : Iconoclasts
Genre : Adventure, Puzzle, Metroidvania, Story Driven

Just a brief summary about this game development. It was made by 1 person over 8 years. Basically there was some idea that changed throughout the development which can be noticeable in the tones of whole playthrough.

The game strongest part is probably the charming artstyle. This is probably one of the best pixel art I have played in my entire life (and Im type of person who dislike pixel art in general). The colour palette, the character animation, the emotion, and the way on how cutscene is being done show that a lot of things can be done even with basic 2D pixel art. The characters are well made and there are pretty heavy lore emphasize on religion & dying world in this game. Pretty much our protagonist is just a simple mechanic that been swept with the world problems.

Another good aspect of the game are probably the boss design. While they are not hard in general, but there way they are designed with attack telegraph, and how interactable the boss with basic mechanic, making out the boss fight are more like a puzzle need to be solved rather than being tough to kill. Some of basic gameplay mechanic also pretty useful with overall expanding upgrade that is staple for metroidvania. Last part I really like about the game is probably the soundtrack of it (i dunno if the creator also made it though).

Just take note, that despite this game is pretty very polished, it didnt have much depth what I considered in metroidvania game. Probably it is enough as I believe the designer prefer it to be simplified. Never the less, this is awesome game that you shouldnt miss. Charming & full of personality is what Im going to say about it.

Alternative : I could easily suggest tons of metroidvania i played before, but I would recommend something that feel close to feeling i get from playing this game like : Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight, Ori series, Yoku's Island Express & Shantae series.