What games are you playing atm? V2

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Iwan make a Black Baby review.
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Finished one difficulty for Torchlight II. In general ok game, but was expecting more to be honest. First Torchlight still in better place for me. What is sad about it ? Short game - three acts and last boss, lack of end game content - i mean mapping? this is not PoE please ... Annoying melee fights, yes i choosen berserker melee char, half of the fight is running back to enemy after knockback, fuuu. Powerfull pet sidekick, in some cases even more powerfull than main char. No auras for full set.
Will go back to Grim dawn soon after i try this NG+ and probably forget it.

Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Wotan wrote:Iwan make a Black Baby review.

How about Cat Mario game ? Here is link - https://catmario.eu
RandomGarlic played it while streaming - much fun he had.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
i dont take request sadly, as i have just too many games on my steam to finish.
as you read the review of last game, anything hard + frustrating + tedious is something im not really looking forward to play
maybe some open world + lots of map markers are fine, but i dislike endless grind without a thing you can measure
this is same reason why i hate certain games endgame grind, spent hours for no gain at all.

anime request is fine as long it is new / decent anime, i dont like to torture myself to watch mediocre anime either
(although i generally i have low threshold than most people for average anime)
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Yeah, don't worry, it was a joke sort of :)
For short games all i can suggest is Binding of Isaac since i think i only played one game of that kind. A lot of randomness which is great and also nigthmare at the same time. You run through the dungeon downwards and kill enemies, get prizes, upgrade char, defeat boss, unlock new playable chars, die and repeat. Fast action, can even play while other games are installing :)
Frytas
Onyx Knight
614 | 97
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies

So, I played a bit more of this game, and I gotta say, it's pretty fucking awesome. It's a roguelike, the campaign is pretty short but of course once you beat it you can try again on higher difficulties. There's a decent variety in enemies, and more appear in NG+(and probably even more beyond that), and the amount of different weapons, skills, passives and tools you can get is huge. Of course, you unlock that as you go through the game; as you finish a stage, you spend your cells on the unlocks you want, so no matter how far you get, you always make some progress.

The main appeal to me is the gameplay; it's extremely responsive and I never felt like any fuck up was caused by the controls. You can interrupt your attacks at any point to parry(if you're using a shield), so if you get hit, it's always your fault. It's also pretty fast paced, at least once you figure out all the mechanics, and learning the game really pays off cause you see how much faster you're going through each stage.

So:
+perfect movement and combat, never felt unfair
+great weapon/item/ability variety
+higher difficulties once you beat the game
+free skins for your character(i.e. not for $$, just in-game currency - cells)
+varied and well designed environments
+different types of enemies with different types of attacks
+easily readable and nicely done animations
+very good graphics, if you don't mind the 8-bit aesthetic
+a bit of humor; just enough to not get cringe'y

-a bit short, took me 35mins to beat the campaign on normal, not on first try ofc; didn't manage to beat it on hard, too much of a casul
-repetitive, but if you like roguelikes then that's not a problem for you, just part of the game
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Aesthetic over everything else.

Title : Gris

This game is trying to some experience based purely on aesthetic. Some might say it is beautiful, some might say it evocative, some might say it is something that everyone that should experience at least once in their life time. Turned out that is another side of the coin that not exactly sunshine in every parts of the games.

Gris is a tale about a girl going through a journey to recover her broken self. This game full of symbolism that sometimes harder digest on the surface level. Most of the art in game are stunning, especially when you see on how well animate some of the part of animation. Combined with superb sound design, it is something like an zen experience that can relaxed your might. Once a while there will be some intense scene that bring chill to your spine. Regardless, because the games are short like only 2 hours, this moment is probably like only 5 minute total.

So what is the catch about this game? For majority of time, you will pretty much just walking around while immerse in game background. I didnt like it much as pretty much there isnt any interaction aside from pushing your analog stick. There granted the girl more ability as you play more level (recovering her fragments), so this walking simulator part become lesser as you reaching end level. Another part of the games are pretty much just a simple platformer puzzle that didnt required precision much. Still, because the game feel shallow, it bored me so much.

I judge game mostly via gameplay. Because if this linear games trying to be beautiful while being linear games, then it is no different then watching it on youtube. The gameplay are boring / barebone, but the aesthetic are made up for it. Not the worst "walking simulator" but it do lack something for player to do (there arent lore / note to read like usual walking simulator).

Alternative : Again, hard to recommend games that doesnt bored you to death, but probably i recommend games like Rime, Inside, or even Ori series that managed to balance both aesthetic and gameplay. Lastly for random suggestion : Hellblade for polished on how to handle emotional scene.
Augustos
Destroyer
7 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
At the moment it is World of Warcraft. I like accomplishing different missions with friends. WoW has become part and parcel of our lives already :bounce: We even give gold https://overgear.com/games/wow/gold as a present for birthdays :)
Edited by Augustos 3 years.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Usually i wait until i finished with specific task of a game, but since it was super tricky and already costed me like 50 hours, so i think I should give some early review about this awesome game.

Choo choo to hell muthafucka.

Title : Monster Train

I love rogue-like, but generally i frown upon games that required playing skill i dont have (Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, Risk of Rain 2) or didnt have any some sort of progression (or playing hardcore in any ARPG which give negative progression). Regardless, there is a component of rogue-like, which unlock more stuff for player to play with in next run is something im looking forward. Especially if it give tons of variety potential item / combination you can play with from get go (Wizard of Legends is only rogue-like i liked).

Monster train is a deck building game with a twist where you need to defend your train from enemy attack. There are 3 different lane and variety of clan combination (cards, units, spell) as well as artifact is perfect blend for variety while you challenging yourself with more difficult challenge via covenant / trials. However, you really to play carefully as there is some restriction like your mana per turn, your unit limit & your draw count which you can effectively upgrade after every each big boss fights.

Strongest & most unique part of monster train is combination of clans. Clan is a system like colour in MTG, class in hearhstone or suit in poker. Each clan have its own unique champion, which determined by your primary main clan. Additionally, you can combine your clan with secondary clan that will give you access to both clan cards. Each level are progressing harder (like normal deck building game), so you need to proper tune your deck for future encounter. You are given 2 lane to choose after each fight, which have its own pro / con. Choose from getting some gold, visit a store to improve your units, your spell, buying artifact, restore your train health, events cavern, or the best part : CLONING YOUR CARD.

Monster train is so freaking addictive and refreshing combination of several genre that made it truly unique. I highly recommend you watch some youtuber first before buying it (although i can guarantee you gonna get a good ride). This is one of among 3 steam games that i bought on release date (granted it was like 1 weeks after it exit early access).

Alternative : Slay the spire & Monster Slayer is no brainer deck building suggestion. But if you want to ask what the closest game the feel like, that would be the battleground mode for Hearthstone.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Usually I Edit my old post, but you have no idea how happy i am here.
My gosh, i cant believe that amount of time with this game.
It is polished, got interesting mechanic and have so much fun figuring combo up.
I recommend you playing this if you guys have times.
I think it is easier than Slay the Spire, although still have a lot of tricky stuff.

Gonna chill abit after, all anime binge have been stopped for past 2 weeks because of this game.
And this game immediately became my 6th most hours played on steam.
Time to watch some cute anime.