What games are you playing atm? V2

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
It take two people to tango.

Title : Assassin's Creed Syndicate

As usual, this is another free give for AC series that I have been waiting to play on (atm: Im missing AC 2 & Odyssey as numbered main title) which given high praised for superb design in Victorian Era London. Since I cant comment much on the story setting since different era will have different variety, I will focused more on technical side of the games. And for first time, we get 2 different protagonist in the games that sadly both have not much different but slightly different missions / playstyle.

Assassin Creed is already well established at this point and it is the final era of old traditional formula before it being overhauled in the AC Origins. Parkour, Assassination, Tools, & Combat are well and good. For parkour side, because the city layout are designed to be very far from each other (because large road & horse carriage), the game introduced a grappling hook which allow you to go on top of building super fast as well as create a rope bridge between 2 building, effectively speed up the movement. As for other 3 aspect, I guess it is pretty much the same.

The strength of this games is definitely the settings. You got freaking steam train as your mobile base, you get horse carriage to move around (as well as adding a layer of combat on top of carriage), you got big ass river that full of lives with ships moving around. However though, I sadly to say that the story is not the strongest part. The modern era is laughable (no gameplay) and your main villain is pretty sitting down until you reached him. Even though our 2 protagonist twins start strong, I feel like all the enemy or the act of assassination arent strong enough. Thankfully, the assassination is kinda open ended (except final boss) where you can have multiple approach toward the killing.

Syndicate is probably lost potential of the series. It have beautiful setting, but I dont feel I explore something new in gameplay (despite the combat are fast paced and good) that made it unique. Not the weakest, but not the best either.

Alternative : Ugh, do i have to list alternative? Play Just Cause series for proper grappling hook gameplay, The Saboteur for another samey feeling / setting, Bioshock Infinite is also feel similar (despite different gameplay) and lastly maybe Mafia series because why the heck not.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Short preview for a change (first impression, not completed 100%)

Cute, quirky & calming

Title : Muse Dash

This game have been on my radar for a while, since it have sale on steam atm, I guess it is pretty cheap enough to pull the trigger. Let just say that I enjoyed the first hour with the game and probably will play it once a while to chill and unlock new songs. Just take note that this game have one time DLC which is abit pricey for me atm (about 20x times the game price).

This game is rhythm games. You press button, on timing, you will score. The end. What made this made games standout more are the art style of it. While there are only 2 buttons you have to press, the characters with make proper action corresponding to button pressed. Think something like normal attack, jump attack or big swing (both button). Everything look lovely not just the character, but the animation of UI & the animation of enemy as well. Everything are bright and cheerful with relaxing atmosphere.

Just take note that the games are kind designed to be singular playstyle. What I meant is, if you play many other rhythm games, you will be given option for note speed, black background, less animation or particle effect. This game resolved on "GOTCHA!" you while playing harder song, made it more focused on ability to read notes but not traditional way. I tried the hardest song I can find, oh boy my eyes cant catch up on certain part of the song (especially high tempo + mutliple notes). As for customization, you will be given several characters that you need to unlock which each of character have their own perk that help make song easier or help you scoring the song easier.

The game is level gated and emphasize on progression. While some people think as negative, I think this is a plus as a carrot for me to keep playing the game. The hardest difficulty of song however required you to get decent combo for each song individually.

Alternative : Hmm, I just realized I dont play many rhythm games on steam (mostly on mobile) so no alternative atm unless you want to difficult games like Super Hexagon (which I treat as different genre)
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
New PoE league in 4 days, and the Slams rework seems interesting. Unsure whether i like Consecrated Path or the Ice Crash visuals more with the new Slam support gem. Regardless this might be the first league in ages where i dont league start as Witch. Looks like Marauder is back on the menu as starter!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Ugly games wearing makeup.

Title : Neoverse

There isnt much horrible feeling aside from watching overkill graphic in a simple games. While deckbuilder generally are revolved around 2D graphic + UI, sometimes it can be overdone with beautiful 3D graphic. And this is one of them.

I will be honest that I put way too high expectation when I play this game. Afterall, I just came from Monster Train which is superb replacement for Slay the Spire. I mean, it is not hard to screw up the formula unless you really dont know what you are doing. So what is the issue with this game? I dont feel any reason to play multiple time to complete it. It doesnt bring an itch to keep trying again and again. Maybe because I completed with all 3 character kinda like immediately after first time.

Strength of deck building game is ability to scale crazy from start to finish. This game does have a lot of similar mechanic with other mentioned games. but at same time bring alot of new mechanic to the table. In fact it was too many at the beginning. I cant believe they introduced player with character that is more skill required. 3 different classes all have its own unique mechanic (keyword usually) that made it fun to try each of them once. However after completing the game, I just dont feel the scale / power like other games.

I think main issue with the games is lack of game changing artifact. Game is required a lot of strategic decision, but it lacked of "one more run" that you get from rogue-lite games. I just feel enough finishing adventure with all 3 characters and considered it done (despite I know there are a lot of new cards that would fun). I just didnt get any fun out it as I thought I would.

Alternative : Slay the Spire, Monster Train, Monster Slayer. Oh, I think Forced Showdown pretty neat too.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I guess I need to review this. 200 hours in.

Space Wizard & Knight ......with GUNS!

Title : Destiny 2
Year 3, Season of Arrival (Season 11), Forsaken + Shadowkeep Expansion.

I had some issue with Destiny 2 in the beginning, mainly because I just focused on story mission rather than grinding at maximum level. There are a lot things happened between time I played, mainly they overhauled a lot of system (loots, gear, leveling, progression) that made the game much more friendlier to newcomer. I wasnt planned to buy the expansion since I dont think I can justify the cost (3rd most costly games I bought since WoW and Starcraft 2) since I personally dont like to play FPS.

Destiny 2 now are much more streamline than other MMORPG, the game revolved mainly around quests & bounties (repeatable quest basically) that you can do everyday to get materials. There are a lot of beautiful planets in the game as well as public event that everyone can join in effortless (basically instance based of planet's area). As someone who love to clear map marker & short quest, this format is enough to drive me forward to play everyday (although Im running out of things to do atm). My favourite definitely to do exotic (unique) weapon quests.

As for the story, I think Forsaken expansion is kinda good beginning, but I was disappointed with final boss. Same goes for shadowkeep which kinda promise something insidious are coming to the world, but sadly it will be answered in next expansion (and another 40 usd i have to pay if i wanted to continue playing). There was another 2 short campaign, but it was forgettable. I can safely say that you shouldnt play Destiny 2 just for story or you will be disappointed. Atm, most of single player content I already tackle, now is just to setup a proper group for tricky dungeon & raid.

So, do I recommend you to play Destiny 2? Yes only for f2p part. I think you will have solid 20 hours (more if you do all side stuff) content that you can decide either you wanted to buy it or not). I find the game as my alternate open world where I can watch anime while playing, so you can judge the gameplay revolved around a lot busywork. There is PvP part of the game which is kinda fun, but I lacked skill to enjoy it. My biggest issue is that Bungie as a developer have a big issue with bug fixing & content production, to a point that you will run out stuff to chase if you keep playing every seasons.

Alternative : Borderlands series pretty much it. There isnt many looter shooter out there, unless you want to get to isometric ARPG territory.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
"Chaos dot builds are dead this new league btw"

https://streamable.com/g1fhgw
Jekajio
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
iwansquall wrote:I guess I need to review this. 200 hours in.

Space Wizard & Knight ......with GUNS!

Title : Destiny 2
Year 3, Season of Arrival (Season 11), Forsaken + Shadowkeep Expansion.

I had some issue with Destiny 2 in the beginning, mainly because I just focused on story mission rather than grinding at maximum level. There are a lot things happened between time I played, mainly they overhauled a lot of system (loots, gear, leveling, progression) that made the game much more friendlier to newcomer. I wasnt planned to buy the expansion since I dont think I can justify the cost (3rd most costly games I bought since WoW and Starcraft 2) since I personally dont like to play FPS.

Destiny 2 now are much more streamline than other MMORPG, the game revolved mainly around quests & bounties (repeatable quest basically) that you can do everyday to get materials. There are a lot of beautiful planets in the game as well as public event that everyone can join in effortless (basically instance based of planet's area). As someone who love to clear map marker & short quest, this format is enough to drive me forward to play everyday (although Im running out of things to do atm). My favourite definitely to do exotic (unique) weapon quests.

As for the story, I think Forsaken expansion is kinda good beginning, but I was disappointed with final boss. Same goes for shadowkeep which kinda promise something insidious are coming to the world, but sadly it will be answered in next expansion (and another 40 usd i have to pay if i wanted to continue playing). There was another 2 short campaign, but it was forgettable. I can safely say that you shouldnt play Destiny 2 just for story or you will be disappointed. Atm, most of single player content I already tackle, now is just to setup a proper group for tricky dungeon & raid.

So, do I recommend you to play Destiny 2? Yes only for f2p part. I think you will have solid 20 hours (more if you do all side stuff) content that you can decide either you wanted to buy it or not). I find the game as my alternate open world where I can watch anime while playing, so you can judge the gameplay revolved around a lot busywork. There is PvP part of the game which is kinda fun, but I lacked skill to enjoy it. My biggest issue is that Bungie as a developer have a big issue with bug fixing & content production, to a point that you will run out stuff to chase if you keep playing every seasons.

Alternative : Borderlands series pretty much it. There isnt many looter shooter out there, unless you want to get to isometric ARPG territory.

I switched from Destiny 2 to World of Warcraft. Never liked the whole Destiny series actually :mrgreen: Moreover while playing WoW you realise that the game has great powerful community and awesome ecosystem round itself as it is not a problem to buy any item, any currency for the game. Because of a great number of offers it is easy to get what you need for a good price. Say eft currency here https://overgear.com/games/eft is a real bargain 8-) I have dealt with them 3-4 times and have no complaints.
inori92
Pit Knight
113 | 28
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Auction Badge
Won 200 auctions
Just started to play Vindictus again recently during some downtime periods

If anyone has anything pertaining to the game above, please shoot me a pm.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
No new review since im hooked with Monster Train again and Destiny 2 for most of the times now.

If anyone tempted to play Monster Train, now it is a good time to pick them up as they have a major expansion by adding alternative champion for each clans, new artifact, new bosses as well as huge balance patch.

I already reach 250 hours, which is double the amount i spent when i cleared all achievements last time.

*I did bought Dead Cells, but turned out it was very hard & i thought i wanted to do review only once i reached boss cells 5 (like highest difficulty level) but my playing skills arent there for me to enjoy there. It was way too fast paced combat wise.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
PoE Heist...

Love the theme, hate that your alert level rises when you kill guards doesnt make any sense.

Very very very VERY buggy skills at launch, especially the new ones in the league. Absolutely hate ALL the skill changes (besides Enduring cry nerf, that was very needed as it was breaking the game before), they nerf Glancing Blows notable instead of nerfing the real issue which was Recover Life on Block. And there are many other fuck ups that i wont mention or id still be here tomorrow listing them.

But my biggest pet peeve is that because GGG apperantly hates automated cast builds, they made it so Bane only triggers "Hexes" and not "Curses" anymore which means Bane + Vixen Entrapment gloves doesnt work anymore because Vixen proccs "Curses". So basically if you want to play a Bane + Vixen build supporting 4 curses on a Bane cast, you cant anymore because GGG says fuck you youre gonna play what we want if you want a curse based build now.

Again, good league mechanics, but skills-wise and balancing probably the worst ever in any league as my personal opinion.

/rant

edit : just right now they patched the game that makes it so killing guards wont raise alert anymore. they are doing something right, might be too little to late though.