Let's talk about the disappointing mess D2R is.

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
So starting off with the most important, Blizzard cut out tcp/ip and open battlenet, which means there are only two choices of where to play, singleplayer (which they knew most don't want to) or on their "less good" servers.

But why did they do this?, i believe they did it because they can't sell things or rip people off if they are offline.

Then there's the lobby system, everything is oversized for their crappy console release, its in a complete and utter disarray.

Launch wasn't good like all their releases, i bet next they will implement a queue so we can wait to play the game.

The unbiased truth, i was bored by the time i got to hell, no challenge, no great crafting system, bosses are designed with children in mind.

I was 21 years old when classic came out and was a manager and overseer of a netcafe, the simple game that it is was great 20 years ago, but it's 2021 and it's time to move on to bigger and better things, a little eyecandy does not change that fact.
heamn
Gravedigger
182 | 7
Common Popularity Badge
one can only hope when someone made a mod out of it.
Common Popularity Badge
heamn wrote:one can only hope when someone made a mod out of it.

Private servers will not happen until they stop selling cd keys and abandon the project. But mods like randomizer could.
ziigii
Vampiress
36 | 6
D2 was interesting when there was no internet, you didn't know the whole game, all builds and items and while the game was getting updates with new content.

Now it's overhyped like classic wow and it will die out soon. Since d2 is not a pvp game and gets no updates, there is nothing new or interesting to be seen there.
Common Popularity Badge
ziigii wrote:D2 was interesting when there was no internet, you didn't know the whole game, all builds and items and while the game was getting updates with new content.

Now it's overhyped like classic wow and it will die out soon. Since d2 is not a pvp game and gets no updates, there is nothing new or interesting to be seen there.

People that have bad internet or just want to play with friends offline, they can no longer do that.

The speed running community also used tcp/ip to avoid lag on servers.

Reddit has a page where people meet up to connection with tcp/ip mostly for modded/private servers.

It's certainly not dead and it gets updates through private servers, nothing new and interesting?, what about about all those modded servers people choose to play on, hello ?

D2 can't be killed because tcp/ip can't be touched, that's the best part of d2, once they shut down d2 for being a better game that allow modded servers, tcp/ip will still be alive like it has for 20 years.
SinClaire
Lava Lord
94 | 2
Diablo2Veteran1 wrote:i believe they did it because they can't sell things or rip people off if they are offline.

It's to prevent 3rd parties/modders from creating their own servers, IIRC. Basically preventing another MXL etc.
Blizzard is preventing 3rd parties from making money off of their IPs.

They did something similar with WC3 Reforged (to prevent another DotA from ever happening), although what they did with D2R is way more aggressive imo.
ziigii
Vampiress
36 | 6
Diablo2Veteran1 wrote:The speed running community also used tcp/ip to avoid lag on servers.

It's certainly not dead and it gets updates through private servers, nothing new and interesting?, what about about all those modded servers people choose to play on, hello ?

True that the speed running community will keep some interest in it.

As for the mods, I don't really considder them as d2, just like dota was not warcraft 3. They are new games built on the same console but the original is stale and boring.

If a good mod comes out maybe I will give it a try but no way would I grind vanilla.
Elendilli
Djinn
548 | 67
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
probably cuz the higher-ups / investors who have the final say have no idea how to make money other than short-term pump-and-dump schemes aka remasters then moving on to the next remaster (aka next victim). They most likely have no idea what this game is nor do they care about it other than it being a good money making opportunity. It would kinda explain their decision to not fully fix (invest $) mistakes that propagate from these remasters.

We'd think that "it doesn't make sense" why Blizzard would throw away extra money making opportunities by giving leeway to modding in D2, but if we assume the high-ups/investors don't care to risk investing longterm money or the cost/benefits associated with doing so, it makes sense (not really, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt).

In fact, a solution to the modding problem already exists. Take a look at Rockstar / GTA 5's Five-M which authenticates players to check whether they have a legitimate copy of the game, then allows players to connect to private servers of their choosing and they could make it D2R only to force profits. The answer to the problem already exists so we can only assume they just don't give a shit about a healthy longterm game. They slapped a DMCA on TCPIP/private servers as a quick fix to "protect their work" from modders and will move on to their next pump-and-dump victim. Which remaster is next? Sc2? :arrow:
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1437 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
What a suprise :coolstorybob:
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2327 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
This is just Blizzard normalcy, they can't launch an always online game without day 1, 2 possibly day 7 issues, most of them making the game unplayable. When i bought D2R i already knew this "feature" was included. That's just how it is. I'm only sorry for the people who in their nostalgia took the weekend off to D2 binge just to get hit with this. They are angry at it and for good reason. But this is what was to be expected.