Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
when might we have an updated version of the online skillpoint planner ?

this is slowing down the updates on guides/miniguides not just for me ...
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
The problem with skillpoint planner is that it is a giantic mess of hardcoding - just thinking about it makes me sad.

With MXLDB it should be easy to create a skillpoint planner that auto-maintains itself, however in my case, more time I spend outside of sigma, more time it takes sigma to be finished. If someone is interested in it I can give a few hints, but of course programming knowledge would be required.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Marco wrote:The problem with skillpoint planner is that it is a giantic mess of hardcoding - just thinking about it makes me sad
and i tought it was something like " replace item icons with the new ones , rename x,y,z skills , job done in few minutes " . meh :? i hope someone will be fixed soon :(
Food
Core Lord
360 | 32
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Marco wrote:The problem with skillpoint planner is that it is a giantic mess of hardcoding - just thinking about it makes me sad.

With MXLDB it should be easy to create a skillpoint planner that auto-maintains itself, however in my case, more time I spend outside of sigma, more time it takes sigma to be finished. If someone is interested in it I can give a few hints, but of course programming knowledge would be required.

I might try my hand at this, but even after reading the whole MXLDB thread I see no sign of documentation, tutorial or API specification. Is it meant to be usable already (and by that I mean possible to write user scripts for it) or is the whole thing just a WIP currently?
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Well, the main issue with MXLDB is that only certain people have access to it. Technically, anyone could create a script (without testing) and PM it to me, but this becomes a bit impossible with more complex scripts.

As for planner, I think it's time to ditch old planner and make a new dynamic one with MXLDB. There are many things I dislike from the current planner (actually everything). Ideally, new planner should have support for saving & editing builds on the database (rather than reading data from URL). That way, using forum account, you should be able to see all your skillplans and update them without needing to edit post(s). Additionally, inventory support for displaying gear should not be that hard to implement, so it could be nice.

Also layout doesn't make me too happy. So I'm going to make something like this (it's auto-generated, so it updates automatically too).
Food
Core Lord
360 | 32
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Marco wrote:Well, the main issue with MXLDB is that only certain people have access to it. Technically, anyone could create a script (without testing) and PM it to me, but this becomes a bit impossible with more complex scripts.

As I see it, the main issue is the complete absence of any documentation or example. In the MXLDB thread you linked to an example, but to the rendered version of it and not the source.

How do I write a query if I don't know table / column names etc?

Also, should a script just query the necessary data and calculate the relevant information, or should it also concern itself with the rendering of said information?

Providing a couple examples with source code and a script skeleton would help immensely, right now the situation is akin to me telling you "hey, I have a database online and you can query it" but neglecting to give you basic information like access credentials and URL.

Now, obviously you can't give indiscriminate access to everyone, but this also means that people can't explore the database by themselves and discover its structure, which reduces the amount of that's they would be able to query (if they could at all) and thus the info they can extrapolate.

So, to wrap this up: if you want people to be able to use the db / write scripts you or someone else must provide some sort of docs and / or examples.

All of th above is obviously just my opinion, I'm sure you already thought about everything I said but I felt right reiterating those points :D
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Median XL Team Member
^I agree. we should make a mxldb with cmxl data and make it public/downloadable (or the php code for txt --> db so they can generate it themselves), so people can locally check the structure and work with it. then, when they finish the script, we can upload it to the site and make it accessible.

for the query, you don't have to know the db credentials, those are automatically provided.
as for the db structure, the db contains tables that are named like the txt files, but with the 'xvi_' prefix, so itemtypes.txt --> xvi_itemtypes table.
and those tables have the same rows/columns that the txt files have, so the example provided here is fine:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1169
(the only thing there that should be changed is $strings = getStrings(); --> $strings = getStrings('xvi');)
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
Food
Core Lord
360 | 32
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Quirinus wrote:http://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1169

Well I feel stupid now. That's exactly the kind of example I was asking for but I completely missed it. I don't have much time to look at the forums and the thread got pushed down quite a bit.
Making it a sticky in General Discussion subforum would probably be a good Idea.

Thank you for the link Q, and thank you for the examples Marco :P
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Median XL Team Member
no need to feel stupid :)

btw, marco provided exactly what I was suggesting:
viewtopic.php?p=40128#p40128

(except the mxl 2015v005 tbls, which you'll have to extract yourself, or I'll do it later when I get time)

if anyone needs help with this, just ask. I just wrote a lengthy script to parse the rw stats to how they are displayed in-game, so I know how to use it, also marco obviously knows, and suchbalance is working with it as well (currently making spell dmg calculator). so any of us three can help.
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
it is possible to come out with a tool where :

1. You key in important stat (like class / str / dex / current char level etc)
2. Key in item filter (base item , runeword, TU, set and SU)
3. Then system will automatically list gear that you can used (especially important like amazon, you dont want to see barb armor RW for example)

For base item : You get list of highest tier you can use for runeword-base

Basically I kinda sometimes have problem goes all pages to find gear I needed when leveling.

*Probably should go to MXLDB idea thread, but I havent read through all that page

EDITED:

Quirinus just bumped the MXLDB page, and I cant delete + move this post to that pages...