Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Goodkidscc wrote:I have a couple suggestions for the auction system. Please let me know if I'm overstepping my boundaries.

If we could possibly remove the 5 TG entry fee, and force the bidding to start at 10 TG. Where does the 5 TG go to?

This would stimulate action in the auction house. IMO the action seems a bit stagnant for 2 reasons. People don't want to risk losing 5 TG for nothing, and I have seen more often than not, ridiculous starting bids. It seems that most of the auctions are set at the values that they hope to recieve, instead of have the starting bid be.

Right now I see 3 active auctions. 2 of them are legit buys, as they are the bowzon set starting at 6 TG and "everything" starting at 5 TG. The 3rd is Mercenary Bomb for 100 TG. The latter of which the guy borrowed 5 TG to place the item up for bid. I think we can all agree that was an instant waste of TG. Another reason I feel like there isn't as much action on the auction block is because people feel reserved to only post high-value items.

I love the auction idea, and it definitely adds some positive adversity to trading. I believe if there were no initial fee to post an item, we would see alot more items up for auction, which is a good thing. Sometimes people find value on otherwise lesser-valued items. If every item starts at 5-10 TG, alot more people would be bidding on items. If people don't like the idea of the low starting bid then the answer is simple. You don't have to auction your items. The previous statement is further highlighted by a member jacking the price up on his auction because he didn't want to risk having his auction finish at a lesser price than he desired.

Just some food for thought. Comments? Concerns? Criticisms? Fire away!

5tg is not a fee to be worried about losing. If the item is worth auctioning, then you won't have to worry about losing any tg, as long as you set a reasonable starting price, not the price you want the item to sell for.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
^ exactly, it has been explained over 2000 times. Auctions are not intended for items with fixed price on the market, and that is exactly what will happen if auctions have no fees. Like what the hell would prevent anyone from auctioning health potions if there is no fee. Seriously, I don't get what's so hard to understand about it. Not even mention the exposure your item gets is already worth that 5TG.

As for auctioneers starting auctions too high :roll: ... In trading, just like in business, there are multiple components for success. Obviously the higher the initial bid is, the lower the chances the auction will get a first bid at all. Don't have to be super smart to realise that.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
There was a bug that would not allow bidding after the trade center was auto-refreshed. Should be fixed now, sorry for the inconveniences!
Enigma
Heretic
409 | 17
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Marco wrote:^ exactly, it has been explained over 2000 times. Auctions are not intended for items with fixed price on the market, and that is exactly what will happen if auctions have no fees. Like what the hell would prevent anyone from auctioning health potions if there is no fee. Seriously, I don't get what's so hard to understand about it. Not even mention the exposure your item gets is already worth that 5TG.

As for auctioneers starting auctions too high :roll: ... In trading, just like in business, there are multiple components for success. Obviously the higher the initial bid is, the lower the chances the auction will get a first bid at all. Don't have to be super smart to realise that.

For the most part you are right, however, given that the community isn't huge it seems pretty unreasonable for the fee to be charged without a successful sale of the item. I understand that nothing could stop someone listing their items at absurdly high prices (except the fact they'd be wasting their time) if the fee was only charged on a successful sale but the current system makes listing most items for auction a severely negative EV decision for the seller. I can't imagine ever listing an item worth less than 75TG for auction with a 5tg listed fee unless I felt the odds of attracting at least one bid were close to 100%. Obviously the players have no 'right' to a fully functioning auction system (and it does sound hard to find the right balance of components to make it just right) but I imagine many players would agree that an efficient high functioning auction system is probably good for the community... Maybe 1tg fee + 4tg on a successful auction would be a better middle ground: It'd entice more auctions without punishing people for bad luck on a listing without making it worthwhile to list items at absurd prices.

Just food for thought, I think auctions are awesome and they were very good for the D2 economy on d2jsp back in the day but yea, they can get a little out of hand with no regulation.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Kai
Thunder Beetle
56 | 2
Enigma wrote:I can't imagine ever listing an item worth less than 75TG for auction with a 5tg listed fee unless I felt the odds of attracting at least one bid were close to 100%.

You can always use trade section to sell your items, no charges there.
willyboy
Abomination
151 | 18
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
In my opinion here and on realm are two groups of players/members:

The first and bigger group are very experienced players, knowing the builds and o-skills, etc. since many seasons. They will pay good in auctions for things like Demonic Touch, Black Void, Cotws with great skills and so on. Standards like the pretty fine Pantheon-Set are not in their interest.

The other group are new players, most of them are typical LoD-Hammerdin or Sorc-player, much of them are unable to find K3K, because the only points they know in A3 are Travincal (gimme WP plzzzz!!!11!) and the last WP. They find an item with x-skills and are proud and they think "I am rich".

For the last group are the 5TG fee, otherwise here is a spam of auctions. I´m also a new member here and I have of course my problems in pricing, in my needs I get offers for Horned Hunter between 80 and 20TG, standard set-pieces 10 to 3, its difficult to know the right price.
thunderman
Banned
540 | 81
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Time to refresh topic