Σ 1.4.0 Announced

Game news and forum updates
Inno86
Balrog
138 | 11
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
The hype for patch notes is real! :bounce:

Btw, for the comments above... I have been playing mxl for almost a year (say, 3 full seasons) and the game is really enjoyable. I like updates every 3 months, it keeps things fresh and at the same time gives me a reason to try all characters.

That said, thumbs are up for all dev team and all people making this mod great! Thanks
neklp
Stone Warrior
34 | 6
Great Auction Badge
Won 200 auctions
woop wrote:
neklp wrote:Has the full patch notes released yet?

Nay, but should be released during the day.

Kk thx bro
proletariat
Abomination
155 | 0
Conquest wrote:I kind of dislike this mod being so much realm-centered now and seasons changing classes and specs based on meta game. Feels like this game as a service bullshit we all know and hate.

People will always gravitate towards the easiest and most efficient build. Be it 2H melee barb, werebear, throwsin, whatever. You just go 'oh lots of ppl play build X so lets gut it and make its core items absurdly rare'. Yeah, you designed this game that way, you have to farm a lot to get good gear so ppl naturally pick up fast farmer builds. On realm it's much less frustrating to just farm duncraig and sell your excess items, trading them for difficult to get charms, so you can farm even faster. I play on SP for this seasonality reason, i already have my farmer char and stash of items, i don't need to re-grind this chore every 3 months.

I enjoyed this game way more before this realm play era, where changes to specs came as a spec rework, to make it fun to play and viable. Since this mod doesn't really support PVP play you're not bound by strict balancing concerns, there is little harm with a build being a tad stronger than the middle of the pack.

Meanwhile many of Median builds are still almost unplayable, a year into Sigma life. Malice necromancer, Javelin amazon, Elemental caster druid, most of sorceress trees, not to mention that oskills are often total waste. We have so many of them but they're almost never remotely useful. Well at least you do something about those trees, unholy melee paladin finally stopped being the worst tree in the game after like six years of being it.

I didn’t know this was the “airing of grievances” section of the forum.
Marrt
Djinn
513 | 74
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Auction Badge
Won 200 auctions
It's called a feedback, we should not discredit people's opinions just because they're negative.
Ibra1
Abomination
151 | 0
ILoseControl wrote:It's called a feedback, we should not discredit people's opinions just because they're negative.

Quite true!

I for one wonder why the devs don't either:

1. Pick ONE character and make every tree viable with each patch... It would take 6 patches, but at the end, the playability would be awesome!

2. Pick one tree for each character that is really weak, and boost it up, again, with each patch! 6 (Or fewer) patches later, awesomeness across the whole game!

Also, just because a certain skill/item seems OP, so what? It's FUN to sometimes going into a really tough area and wrecking everything! Nerfing something that works really well (Hwanin's Hwacha) by reducing that which makes it awesome takes that cup'o fun and dumps it out. Too many xbow Necro's? SO WHAT? It's about having fun in the game, right?

Why lock areas to certain levels? Give a big warning "You will probably die in here" warning if below a certain level, but let the fur fly! Maybe someone figures out a really good build, and can handle a 115 level at 95? Or a well balanced group goes in to farm a higher level? SO WHAT? Let 'em go! I remember how helpful it could be to 'harvest' hell-cows at lev 40, to gather jewels, etc after the cows had been killed off. (And the OH CRAP moment when a leftover cow chases you across the screen!)

Finally, closing down the speed-rush leveling gimics.... Sometimes someone just wants to get to 120 quickly, and try stuff against the bosses, or high-level crowd areas. I used to run 4 or 5 different characters up, outfit them and have fun playing different styles, all in one day. Just don't have time to do the full game all the way up 3 times in a row for 5 different characters, which has seriously reduced the whole fun of this mod.

I realize the devs do what they do, and have the programming skillz, etc, but why not have a voting for a couple of ideas each patch?

Option of free-open-sandbox areas, or only allow people to go where the exp level will allow? Get the players to vote on it.

You want to be able to sell high-quality rares for high $$ at the NPC's or make everything that drops worthless, forcing a LONG run for gold, OR, the old way? Let people put up a vote!
proletariat
Abomination
155 | 0
ILoseControl wrote:It's called a feedback, we should not discredit people's opinions just because they're negative.

Completely agree, constructive feedback can benefit the whole community.

I should have been more helpful, to point them to the 1.3 feedback thread; where I assume devs compile feedback to decide on improvements.
Eiden
Cultist
21 | 3
Conquest wrote:I kind of dislike this mod being so much realm-centered now and seasons changing classes and specs based on meta game. Feels like this game as a service bullshit we all know and hate.

People will always gravitate towards the easiest and most efficient build. Be it 2H melee barb, werebear, throwsin, whatever. You just go 'oh lots of ppl play build X so lets gut it and make its core items absurdly rare'. Yeah, you designed this game that way, you have to farm a lot to get good gear so ppl naturally pick up fast farmer builds. On realm it's much less frustrating to just farm duncraig and sell your excess items, trading them for difficult to get charms, so you can farm even faster. I play on SP for this seasonality reason, i already have my farmer char and stash of items, i don't need to re-grind this chore every 3 months.

Im a lttl bit newcomer into MedianXL, 1st time i saw MXL about 2 years ago, but normally playing im start only 1 week ago on realm. And this is enough time to get most of charms, start to farm dunc/fauzt and craft needed gear. Have only 2 SU items and pretty normal farming dunc. Playing by UHC Pal (not the most popular farmer/build). And im already looking, what char wanna try/play more. So i think that 2-3 month more than enough for a season.
Mb and you should try to play realm?
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Ibra1 wrote:

► Show Spoiler

This is not a "community project" is a "project for the community". Otherwise we would all have red names and be hanging out more on GitHub/GitLab then here or Discord. The dev team love the game, knows what they can build upon it and have a vison for it, it's their project afterall. The team might be comprised by community members but the community is not the dev team, it's mostly the entity that enjoy of their work, supports it and provide info.
I've been involved in many projects over the years and I can tell you a couple of things that concerns what you're speaking of:
  • The MXL team is by now one of the most community-oriented team I've ever been in contact with. Feedback is encouraged and listened to, they often share their intentions and frequently directly adress opinions from the playerbase, build things always with the community in mind and are fairly open to help from outside if you have something concrete to offer (https://www.median-xl.com/about.php).
  • Open polls on important decision-making in projects of this magnitude/nature lead to disasters: community factions, lack of scope, fragmentation of project identity, and much more... keep also in mind the limitations of a voting system, when you're casting a vote it doesn't matter if you know the insideout of what could work as opposed to some user just following his feelings, both votes in the end count as 1 each. Such system would have most likely left us with the running mechanic whilst sprinting undoubtedly makes more sense and opens a lot of doors.
As stated before, do not make the error to take it as a "debasing" of the community importance, as a matter of fact has never been more important than now. Even from a mere economic point of view, nothing of what stands in place today would have been possible without the continuous support, and things are constantly improving. Just recently a new goal has been added to patreon: upon reaching 160 members a poll will be held every season and the patrons will have a chance to decide a build they would like to see reworked in the next patch.
As for your points 1 and 2, it would be very impractical in the current time scale and on a shifting meta. It would result in a extremely stale ladder and could quickly escalate to be unfeasable in a couple of patches in due to changes affecting a plethora of builds at once, adding to the already ovewhelming load. The devs are actually going with a much smarter appproach if you take the time to notice. Other points have already been adressed in other topics during v1.0.
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca
Uubie
Ice Clan
559 | 7
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Legendary Auction Badge
Won 500 auctions
Where is the patch notes?!

it's exactly 2 days till launch

nvm lol
Im_a_ninja
Core Lord
384 | 39
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Any reason the lauch time was moved 2 hours later than usual??