bapcja
Abomination
154 | 8
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
CallMeCrazySam wrote:
bapcja wrote:Repeated nerfs of the most popular wdm based builds paired with superficial buffs to unpopular skills might not be the way to go. If the devs want people to play outside of meta, maybe they shouldn't be afraid to generously buff builds that are picked by less than 5% of players online. The UHM rework was good example of it. Sure, it was a little overtuned but that can always be fixed later.

Isn't this exactly what happened with all ele sorc trees...?

Most people don't go crazy about caster builds, because they are pretty much one dimensional. What do spells carry? %sdmg, %pierce and whole lot of not much else. What do wdm builds carry? Procs (we love them!), cb, ds, slow, leech and dozen different things that I wont list right now. All of which become more or less effective based on if/how many projectiles does the skill produce, if or how many times does it multi hit. Whether its single target or aoe. There's just a LOT of factors.

A lot of people play Diablo for the math, even if they dont realize it. Theres so much more number crunching involved with wdm builds compared to spell casting ones. They are simply more satysfying to play and tinker with.
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
bapcja wrote:Repeated nerfs of the most popular wdm based builds paired with superficial buffs to unpopular skills might not be the way to go. If the devs want people to play outside of meta, maybe they shouldn't be afraid to generously buff builds that are picked by less than 5% of players online. The UHM rework was good example of it. Sure, it was a little overtuned but that can always be fixed later.

Right on the money. Spearzon has had ~3% amazon player participation for pretty much all of sigma and the core problems that make them unplayable haven't even been discussed at length, much less fixed (lol at that Great Hunt nerf in 1.2). Nothing ground-breaking and no real fix for the most underused builds. This is the third consecutive patch I'm sitting out. The developers of POE did a wonderful interview on how they attained such success in the ARPG space that the devs might benefit from watching. Taking into account the complete disparity in resources/funding/engine capabilities, I thought there were some pretty great takeaways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM_5S55jUzk
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
bapcja wrote:
CallMeCrazySam wrote:

Most people don't go crazy about caster builds, because they are pretty much one dimensional. What do spells carry? %sdmg, %pierce and whole lot of not much else. What do wdm builds carry? Procs (we love them!), cb, ds, slow, leech and dozen different things that I wont list right now. All of which become more or less effective based on if/how many projectiles does the skill produce, if or how many times does it multi hit. Whether its single target or aoe. There's just a LOT of factors.

A lot of people play Diablo for the math, even if they dont realize it. Theres so much more number crunching involved with wdm builds compared to spell casting ones. They are simply more satysfying to play and tinker with.

So your build didn't get buffed and you are salty, got it. Pretty crazy how many casters I've seen running around this patch for nobody caring about them.
bapcja
Abomination
154 | 8
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
CallMeCrazySam wrote:So your build didn't get buffed and you are salty, got it. Pretty crazy how many casters I've seen running around this patch for nobody caring about them.

I dont have "my" build and I am not "salty". "Got it" ? Next time you care to quote me, do it without unnecessary passive aggression. Have a great night.
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
bapcja wrote:
CallMeCrazySam wrote:So your build didn't get buffed and you are salty, got it. Pretty crazy how many casters I've seen running around this patch for nobody caring about them.

I dont have "my" build and I am not "salty". "Got it" ? Next time you care to quote me, do it without unnecessary passive aggression. Have a great night.

No need to be so salty.
morphed
Grubber
332 | 34
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
CallMeCrazySam wrote:
bapcja wrote:

No need to be so salty.
he is not talking about a specific build, but everything gets nerfed and shit classes gets "buffed" but they're still shit guess thats what he means
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
morphed wrote:
CallMeCrazySam wrote:
bapcja wrote:

No need to be so salty.
he is not talking about a specific build, but everything gets nerfed and shit classes gets "buffed" but they're still shit guess thats what he means

What buffed classes are still shit?
supersage10
Azure Drake
164 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
CallMeCrazySam wrote:
bapcja wrote:
CallMeCrazySam wrote:

So your build didn't get buffed and you are salty, got it. Pretty crazy how many casters I've seen running around this patch for nobody caring about them.

You got my upvote for today sir well played
morphed
Grubber
332 | 34
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
CallMeCrazySam wrote:
morphed wrote:
CallMeCrazySam wrote:
bapcja wrote:

No need to be so salty.

What buffed classes are still shit?
the wolf dru which has 1k ewd and sure he's a farmer but useless against bosses since his single target skill, or cold sorc how does the ice elementals help against ubers or that frigid sphere, pretty sure you could farm with sorc before the same xD , dont wanna talk about sin ,they say he gets huge buff , but all i see is some pierce and backstabb skill no one using xD, you know you have to kill endgame bosses in this game not farm areas this isnt vanilla diablo you farm endlessly..
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
bapcja wrote:Most people don't go crazy about caster builds, because they are pretty much one dimensional. What do spells carry? %sdmg, %pierce and whole lot of not much else. What do wdm builds carry? Procs (we love them!), cb, ds, slow, leech and dozen different things that I wont list right now. All of which become more or less effective based on if/how many projectiles does the skill produce, if or how many times does it multi hit. Whether its single target or aoe. There's just a LOT of factors.

Trying to sound fancy yet your argument is so shallow.

You want builds to be multi-dimensional yet you want to use a single wdm spell to do everything for you. The things which you listed for WDM are also offered in spellcasting: procs, slow, leech, also EF/SF and other mechanics which you curiously forgot to mention (considering you played the math card).

You do know that if you "generously buff unpopular builds" they are no longer "outside of meta" but ARE the "meta"? What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? It's like pretending you care about off-meta yet you expect us to power creep hard so you can pick the easiest fresh over-buffed meta build there currently is so you can spam 1 skill and pretend you're good at the game.

As someone who's worked nearly 10 years in the project I can tell you: MXL and power creep do NOT get along well. Simply because there's way too much content to maintain, lots of items, over 1500 skills (lod has 350). There was a years-long power creep called Ultimative which took a stupid amount of work to get back in place (dmg rework, mana rework, res, pierce, leveling, and much more). We are not making the same mistakes again.

Last point - instead of making some popular generic post "plz we need more buffz" actually point exactly what your problem is and the builds which you claim were "superficial" and I'm happy to discuss what you're doing wrong. As the 1.4 announcement said, the buffs were not going to be ridiculous because most of the main addressed builds weren't even lacking power. But I guess you did not read that, same for this topic's title, it's the changelog thread not the feedback one. Post in an appropriate place if you want to make something constructive and are not here merely for the attention.