Horadric Mage
1064 | 24
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Captcha wrote:Good change - as long as Zod isn't as rare as it was in d2 lod.

EDIT: I didn't see if you can still cube one rune and downgrade it? If so, do you get 1 lower rune or 2? If it's only 1 it could be an expensive mistake!

U just cant downgrade runes in 2.0, only upgrading works.
Conquest
Azure Drake
169 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
ouch, that hurts a bit. Freely downgrading regular runes was a thing for 13 years, ever since original Median XL 1.70 launched in late 2008. Pre-MXL it was required to have a certain number of Crafting Points equipped - they were found on gear and downgrading high runes required a lot of them.

I guess this will make jewelcrafting significantly harder because rn you can use almost any rune and downgrade it you find if you craft Lem-jewels for example. But this is alleviated by runewords being actual runewords instead of rune + jewels. Personally I hate rune + jewels because of inevitable stat bloat. You will get lots of trash affixes such as +1 light radius or +3 to life on such runewords.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
184 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
cnlnjzfjb wrote:

EDIT: I didn't see if you can still cube one rune and downgrade it? If so, do you get 1 lower rune or 2? If it's only 1 it could be an expensive mistake!

That's super annoying.
cnlnjzfjb
Horadric Mage
1064 | 24
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
CorralTheTroops wrote:That's super annoying.

It is.
masochista
Core Lord
395 | 26
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
cnlnjzfjb wrote:

It is.

I wouldn't call it annoying. It's just more of a "back to the roots" kind of thing. Runewords were super easy to make in previous versions, rune hunt in original D2 was super exciting, at least for me. Downgrading runes would make runewords too easy to make imo. And they will be worth more, finally
cnlnjzfjb
Horadric Mage
1064 | 24
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
masochista wrote:
cnlnjzfjb wrote:

It is.

I wouldn't call it annoying. It's just more of a "back to the roots" kind of thing. Runewords were super easy to make in previous versions, rune hunt in original D2 was super exciting, at least for me. Downgrading runes would make runewords too easy to make imo. And they will be worth more, finally

Not super annoying, but it is kinda annoying. And it is not only about making runewords. No downgrading means u have to keep more rune stacks in ur stash, like u should keep all the runes in early game and at least #34-#66 runes in mid and late game, and thats already 33 rune stacks in ur limited stash since there wont be shared stash or even multi-paged stash in 2.0.
cnlnjzfjb
Horadric Mage
1064 | 24
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
masochista wrote:Downgrading runes would make runewords too easy to make imo. And they will be worth more, finally

Downgrading runes wouldnt make runewords easy to get, it just makes them less troublesome to get.
If u want a runeword with #33 rune, u cant make it out of nowhere. U still need a #33 rune or higher one to downgrade. So downgrading wont make it easier, it makes runewords less troublesome. In this case with no #33, all u have to do is downgrading a higher one to #33 and use it, instead of killing mobs to try ur luck to see if u can get a #33 or 2 #32.
magashiro
Acid Prince
45 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
That's actually painful, as people already mentioned the limited stash space we already have... going back to D2 vanilla mechanics is not good on this topic :cry:
gunnzan
Destroyer
7 | 1
cnlnjzfjb wrote:

What a strange change, one step forward two steps backwards.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
184 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
cnlnjzfjb wrote:
masochista wrote:
cnlnjzfjb wrote:

It is.

Not super annoying, but it is kinda annoying. And it is not only about making runewords. No downgrading means u have to keep more rune stacks in ur stash, like u should keep all the runes in early game and at least #34-#66 runes in mid and late game, and thats already 33 rune stacks in ur limited stash since there wont be shared stash or even multi-paged stash in 2.0.

This is more of what I was thinking of, not to mention, I have to actually learn which runes go where now, to mentally place them relative to the runes I need and the runes I want. Before I just had to know the higher level runes and collect them, knowing that I can degrade down anytime I want.

So stash space is now at a premium cause you gotta keep more runes, and you gotta learn the rune levels :'(

Maybe it could be another gold sink? You need 1 oil of craft to downgrade a rune or something?