Short Questions Thread

Discuss Median XL!
pradeep644
Prowler
16 | 0
Which works best for caster? mana on attack, Mana stolen per hit or mana after kill?
Philby
Azure Drake
161 | 3
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
pradeep644 wrote:Which works best for caster? mana on attack, Mana stolen per hit or mana after kill?

As far as I know, Mana after kill is the only way to leech. Same goes for life of course.
pradeep644
Prowler
16 | 0
Philby wrote:
pradeep644 wrote:Which works best for caster? mana on attack, Mana stolen per hit or mana after kill?

As far as I know, Mana after kill is the only way to leech. Same goes for life of course.

Ok.Thanks for the info
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Philby wrote:I was wondering, how come MXL Rifts doesn't make use of the random level generator of Vanilla D2 ?
I'm not a dev or anything close, just out of curiosity. Please note that I'm sure there's a good reason, so my point is not to ask for anything...
Thanks !

Because it's much easier to draw a new comprehensive preset map from scratch than trying to make something out of existing random level generator. Map generation process is heavily hardcoded and there is only a handful amount of possible level layout schemes available. Have you ever wondered why Arcane Sanctuary always resemble the same pattern even though it's a randomly generated map?

There is not that much you can do except for trying to replicate the existing room set for some specific level blueprint. That would require a lot of time and effort yet you'll end up with the same well known layout and the only difference would be its visual appearance. I have no doubt it's possible to write a brand new layout scheme but good luck with that, there is an enormous amount of code that needs to be reversed just to get a grasp on this process.
Philby
Azure Drake
161 | 3
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
SwineFlu wrote:
Philby wrote:I was wondering, how come MXL Rifts doesn't make use of the random level generator of Vanilla D2 ?
I'm not a dev or anything close, just out of curiosity. Please note that I'm sure there's a good reason, so my point is not to ask for anything...
Thanks !

Because it's much easier to draw a new comprehensive preset map from scratch than trying to make something out of existing random level generator. Map generation process is heavily hardcoded and there is only a handful amount of possible level layout schemes available. Have you ever wondered why Arcane Sanctuary always resemble the same pattern even though it's a randomly generated map?

There is not that much you can do except for trying to replicate the existing room set for some specific level blueprint. That would require a lot of time and effort yet you'll end up with the same well known layout and the only difference would be its visual appearance. I have no doubt it's possible to write a brand new layout scheme but good luck with that, there is an enormous amount of code that needs to be reversed just to get a grasp on this process.

Thanks for the answer. Technicals aspects aside, it would probably be more boring to grind a randomly generated map rather than a well designed preset map. Like Act 1 jail vs Duncraig...
altoiddealer
Djinn
532 | 36
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Hello, just made my first Xis rune and I want to make sure I understand it completely before botching it up.

1. Can it only be used for runewords? Or can you use it for its bonus? I would assume you can but the documentation includes this slightly cryptic sentence “Xis rune cannot be used by itself unless making Natasha's Legacy.”
(https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/items/socketables)

2. Does cubing it with an ordinary rune merge the bonuses? Such as, JahXis would be 40% ed in a weapon?

3. Can you slap 6 JahXis runes in a weapon to add 240% ed?
cnlnjzfjb
Horadric Mage
1071 | 26
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
altoiddealer wrote:Hello, just made my first Xis rune and I want to make sure I understand it completely before botching it up.

1. Can it only be used for runewords? Or can you use it for its bonus? I would assume you can but the documentation includes this slightly cryptic sentence “Xis rune cannot be used by itself unless making Natasha's Legacy.”
(https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/items/socketables)

2. Does cubing it with an ordinary rune merge the bonuses? Such as, JahXis would be 40% ed in a weapon?

3. Can you slap 6 JahXis runes in a weapon to add 240% ed?

Jah-Xis: 15%ED
Scalewinged
Cow Ninja
1293 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Xis runes by themselves providing just the same bonuses as their usual bases (so Jah and JaXis will give the same ED bonus) and it's simply worthless to use Xis runes for anything other than making enhanced runewords.
altoiddealer
Djinn
532 | 36
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Thanks for the replies

Scalewinged wrote:Xis runes by themselves providing just the same bonuses as their usual bases (so Jah and JaXis will give the same ED bonus) and it's simply worthless to use Xis runes for anything other than making enhanced runewords.

So to clarify: Xis runes do not actually add 25% ed to a weapon?

If they did, then I would rather use 6 Xis for 150% ed, rather than my current 6 Jah for 90% ed. I feel like I can hit more dmg with a crafted Labrys (plus, 6 rune bonus towards Runemaster skill), than with any runeword (only 1 rune bonus to Runemaster skill)
Scalewinged
Cow Ninja
1293 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
altoiddealer wrote:Thanks for the replies

Scalewinged wrote:Xis runes by themselves providing just the same bonuses as their usual bases (so Jah and JaXis will give the same ED bonus) and it's simply worthless to use Xis runes for anything other than making enhanced runewords.

So to clarify: Xis runes do not actually add 25% ed to a weapon?

If they did, then I would rather use 6 Xis for 150% ed, rather than my current 6 Jah for 90% ed. I feel like I can hit more dmg with a crafted Labrys (plus, 6 rune bonus towards Runemaster skill), than with any runeword (only 1 rune bonus to Runemaster skill)

Xis runes themselves ye, adding what they list, but not Xis enhanced runes. So you won't get 40% ED if you make JaXis, you won't get XX% extra gold + 25% ED if you make TirXis and so on.