Discuss Median XL!
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Crash wrote:I think this means its time to bring back the Shoutbox.

Sounds interesting... not sure I remember it (may have been before my time but I've been playing the mod one and off for a few years now), so would be good to understand what that is - sounds like a way of putting up quick messages?

Another way maybe - I've always thought having a forum manager (more than just a moderator) as part of the MXL team would be useful - if someone is prepared to do it (and I realise the devs are busy, well... developing ;) ). One solution might be to have someone who's not a developer as such - and I hope you'll forgive me saying this but you always seemed the ideal candidate to me.

You're on the forums a lot, always helpful to people, knowledgeable about the game - perfect candidate imho.

The role could be more than just providing updates but also things like the guides section could do with someone managing it, maybe keeping guides up to date, authorising someone to take over a guide when a player leaves it without updates for a long time (probably stopped playing).

It's nothing to do with me of course, I'm just chucking an idea out there - and you and/or the dev team may not want that - but it would be pretty good to my mind. :thumb:
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Jammy
Mangler
480 | 126
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
The guides are managed and approved/denied. We keep guides up because even if a character gets reworked and such, there's still usually a baseline that is still valid/relevant. And it doesn't necessarily matter if a player who created the guide stopped playing, we have a general population here who are able to give helpful advice. It's not like there are a ton of people lining up to write out guides. Guides take a lot of time that a lot of people aren't willing to put in, so we keep the guides that we do have up, regardless if they're a bit outdated, because there are so few, and because we have other players who are able to advise/answer questions.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Captcha wrote:I find myself struggling to understand that Larry. There's been no update on any upcoming patch for weeks on the forums but there have (apparently) been updates on discord. Forum-only users don't think that's a good idea. Seems straightforward enough.

There have been exactly 3 announcements regarding the next patch on discord. 2 of them can be found here and here respectively.

And both of these aren't big enough imho to make a new thread all on its own. These are merely teasers, not announcements.

And the third one is this:

This is merely a beta key giveaway, which discord is the right tool for.

For the first discord post made by marco on 23rd april, yeah I can't really see if this was posted on time. Since "1 month" on this forum can mean anything from 30 to 60 days. If I remember correctly it was pretty much on time though. I think it was only 3 days off, if at all.

And the 2nd one was posted on this forum on the exact same day, merely with a couple of hours in between.

What I'm saying is: If you just read through the normal up-to-date threads occasionally you'll stumble upon these posts. RequiemLux has made a pretty good job regarding that. But both of these things aren't really big announcements. They are merely teasers, so we shouldn't get salty over an issue that doesn't exist. Yeah sure, we could argue whether that was the best way for posting these teasers, but we still got the information on here as well. So imho it's all fine.

And now that several moderators have seen the issue being raised, I don't think we'll see not-so-timely teasers being an issue in the future.
AzureGladiator
Heretic
429 | 94
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
I really miss the shoutbox... The MXL community never felt the same for me after it was removed :(

I know why it happened, but it's a shame
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1219 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
ParticuLarry wrote:This is merely a beta key giveaway, which discord is the right tool for.

Namedropping Scosglen ain't just a beta key giveaway. I've known that Scosglen was coming for awhile now but IDK how many of the other forum-only folks do.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Siosilvar wrote:
ParticuLarry wrote:This is merely a beta key giveaway, which discord is the right tool for.

Namedropping Scosglen ain't just a beta key giveaway. I've known that Scosglen was coming for awhile now but IDK how many of the other forum-only folks do.

We've known since the first time 2.0 was talked about that new uber quests will be implemented in 2.0. So namedropping 1 of them isn't that huge of a reveal.

I for one lack the lore knowledge to put that name drop into perspective. I can't instantly say what the bosses abilities will be or what its theme will be, or even where that uber can be found, so there's nothing in it for me.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1219 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Scosglen is fantasy Scotland. It's where the Druids come from, which is why that name is all over Druid abilities and items.

But still, it's not new information so missing this announcement ain't that important. We knew Scosglen was coming before 1.8 even dropped --

Marco, 12/01/2020 wrote:Content-wise an even bigger world will await for you and among many changes you can also expect a new vast rift which will put Fauztinville to shame. Scosglen will be a series of quests in a massive location that will be as close as it gets to an “Act 6”.

(of course, that teaser wasn't posted to the forums by the team either, so the criticism still stands)
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Siosilvar wrote:Scosglen is fantasy Scotland. It's where the Druids come from, which is why that name is all over Druid abilities and items.

But still, it's not new information so missing this announcement ain't that important. We knew Scosglen was coming before 1.8 even dropped --

Marco, 12/01/2020 wrote:Content-wise an even bigger world will await for you and among many changes you can also expect a new vast rift which will put Fauztinville to shame. Scosglen will be a series of quests in a massive location that will be as close as it gets to an “Act 6”.

(of course, that teaser wasn't posted to the forums by the team either, so the criticism still stands)

Alright I see why this is an issue now. It's not about the name, but about the fact that this will as important as an act 6. You convinced me since this is indeed important information.

Well, the issue was raised, so we might be in for a better dev communication on the forums.
duysir0
Lava Lord
92 | 12
Common Popularity Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I propose some minor changes to MXL forum layout with the hope it'd somehow resolve parts of the issue, making the forum feel more of a proper active forum?
-Discord: With discord being the favorite place for lot of users to hang out nowadays, having a embedded chat window of Discord right in the front forum page would be real nice as it makes Discord users at least have the incentive to stay on the forum.
► Show Spoiler

-Forum layout: clean up, add moderators announcement/highlight/pin up, update navibar message.
► Show Spoiler

#edit1: Added Not Armory in user area
Edited by duysir0 2 years.