Short Questions Thread

Discuss Median XL!
Temptaz
Gravedigger
197 | 2
Is Druid wildfire an attack or spell?

Does it benefit from get LL % and IAS %?
Scalewinged
Cow Ninja
1293 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Temptaz wrote:Is Druid wildfire an attack or spell?

Does it benefit from get LL % and IAS %?

Spell activated with melee attack (just likfe UHM paladin skills)

Only actual melee hit benefit from ll/LoA/MoA/etc. (so only on attack modifiers worth smth and on kill ofc) Also it benefit from IAS so you will land more wildfires with more FPA.
mortimer_85
Djinn
520 | 230
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Scalewinged wrote:
mortimer_85 wrote:
robinro wrote:how exactly is damage calculated? im playeing a caster sorc and im quite confused that increased lightning damage from gear gives me more damage than i thought since i already have around 250% increased damage from energy and i assumed that all sources are additive. there is also the witch blood passive which confuses me beacuse of the word "total" in front of the increased damage, which might suggest it may be multiplicative, which would be way too strong if you think about it....

what exactly is additive and what is multiplicative? did something change in sigma in that regard?

regarding synergy from energy/EF, Witchblood and Spell damage% od one particular type, nothing has changed in Sigma.
You can read this or go with:
Spell Damage is one multiplier and Synergy Bonus from EF/ene and Witchblood Bonus are added up to another separate multiplier.

Note about witchblood is different from spell damage is wrong (same goes to Bacchanalia). I just tested/calculated it all manually and damage bonus from witchblood is just the same as any other spell damage from item while EF/NRG damage bonus to skill is multiplicated by spell damage.
I have my "skill X" damage at 2229 without witchblood and at 2717 with one point in it;
Witchblood adding 64% spell damage;
I have 166% own spd from items;
I have 187% damage increase from NRG... calculate further uself :)

well I did and it seems that you either misunderstood me or miscalculated. Witchblood and Synergy from ene/EF stack (are additive) and the Spell damage modifier is another separate one.
Scalewinged
Cow Ninja
1293 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
mortimer_85 wrote:
Scalewinged wrote:
mortimer_85 wrote:
robinro wrote:how exactly is damage calculated? im playeing a caster sorc and im quite confused that increased lightning damage from gear gives me more damage than i thought since i already have around 250% increased damage from energy and i assumed that all sources are additive. there is also the witch blood passive which confuses me beacuse of the word "total" in front of the increased damage, which might suggest it may be multiplicative, which would be way too strong if you think about it....

what exactly is additive and what is multiplicative? did something change in sigma in that regard?

regarding synergy from energy/EF, Witchblood and Spell damage% od one particular type, nothing has changed in Sigma.
You can read this or go with:
Spell Damage is one multiplier and Synergy Bonus from EF/ene and Witchblood Bonus are added up to another separate multiplier.

Note about witchblood is different from spell damage is wrong (same goes to Bacchanalia). I just tested/calculated it all manually and damage bonus from witchblood is just the same as any other spell damage from item while EF/NRG damage bonus to skill is multiplicated by spell damage.
I have my "skill X" damage at 2229 without witchblood and at 2717 with one point in it;

well I did and it seems that you either misunderstood me or miscalculated. Witchblood and Synergy from ene/EF stack (are additive) and the Spell damage modifier is another separate one.

I mean that overall formula is smth like TotalDamage=(BaseDamage*EFBonus)*(SpellDamageFromItems+AllOtherBonusesFromBuffsPassivesEtc)
And it's not counting Malice Nightwalker 'cause i'm not really sure how is it working. So here we got that witchblood is just the same as if we get XX%spell damage from any other items. It's not separated from other spell damage bonuses. Only separated here are NRG factor and spd from items/passives.
Temptaz
Gravedigger
197 | 2
Scalewinged wrote:
Temptaz wrote: FPA.
Im not familiar with abbreviation FPA whats that stand for? Thanks
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Temptaz wrote:
Scalewinged wrote:
Temptaz wrote: FPA.
Im not familiar with abbreviation FPA whats that stand for? Thanks

frame per attack/animation, however you read it
Imperius
Gravedigger
182 | 5
Common Popularity Badge
Giu wrote:
Imperius wrote:
Crash wrote:
Imperius wrote:Barbarian stances benefits the summoned spirits?

if you have increased stance radius and they're within range, yes.

How to increase the radius?
Only by putting points in the stance and the spirits is not working, they dont get any bonus from stances.

reading skills when

And you, testing skills when?
It dont works, i tested that too, stance bonus only applies to the character, not the minions, even using that skill.
Mingon
Imp
4 | 0
what is death blow ?
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Mingon wrote:what is death blow ?

A death blow is when you kill an enemy with a spell or with a WDM attack. On-kill means with WDM or poison only, and death blow is the same but also includes spells. Basically on-kill for spell casters.
mortimer_85
Djinn
520 | 230
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Scalewinged wrote: cut...

...cut

Ok, it seems that I wasn't clear enough in what I said:

The numbers you provided are simply proving my point:

Your assumption: WItchblood % acts like regular Speldamage:
damage with = damage without / 2.66 * (2.66+0.64) = 2765

The truth: Witchblood stacks (is additive) with the Synergy % from ene/EF:
damage with = damage without/2.87*(2.87+0.64) = 2726

The small difference to the displayed value 2717 comes due to rounding issues and how d2 is handling numbers in general.

If you want to make sample calculations that are more powerful or show the true nature of Witchblood % use a setup where sd% and synergy% are not that close to each other as in the above case.