Short Questions Thread

Discuss Median XL!
robg1293
Pit Knight
104 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
that was extremely helpful! I really appreciate that! :)

Solfege wrote:
robg1293 wrote:So i was reading one of the guides and was wondering why it wasn't using warp armor or snow queen, which one of those two skills is better for upper levels? Warp armor because it is a overall armor boost??

Wasn't sure why poison skill tree was being using, never remember to buff hive and vengeful power doesn't seem that wonderful...maybe i'm wrong..

Lightning/Cold is a perfectly viable combo (my guide used Lightning/Cold from 1.0-1.2), and I usually recommend it for new players simply b/c Armor Class Defense is intuitive and easy to understand. Plus, Warp Armor's TCD synergizes well with Snow Queen's flat Defense.

As for why I used Poison/Fire for this version of the guide, it was basically to show how a Fusillade-based Melee Sorc could be built to suit a highly aggressive playstyle. And based on some of the stuff I've read, I think it's the playstyle that's confusing some people. Don't think of this build as a heavily-armored tank casually strolling across the battlefield. Instead, think of it as a naked berserker rushing face-first into combat.

Basically, you're Wolverine, not Juggernaut.

As to Vengeful Power not looking that good, building a Melee Sorc is like a picture puzzle. It's not about the individual pieces; it's about how these pieces fit together and the overall picture they represent. With Poison/Fire, the point isn't to avoid taking damage, it's to reduce incoming damage to a point where you're replenishing Life faster than you're losing it. You're using a combination of high Life regen, decent total Life, and decent Life sustain to keep you healthy. At the same time, you're focusing on active and passive DR (for Phys damage) and res (for Elemental damage) to reduce the total damage you take. High CtB and some ACD help you further by negating some incoming Phys damage.

As for Hive, you don't actually need to use it, so don't worry if you keep forgetting to buff with it. It's just there for a bit of extra damage, as well as some damage diversity.

Gfresh wrote:
duysir0 wrote:Note quite sure why there is a guide recommend using Posion tree, it absolute sucks ass imo; especially the Hive skill - deals mediocre dmg and actually blind u, the passive is not that awesome either. The Fire tree is cool as it is, nice HP boost, HP regen, has Fire Dance with huge dmg buff. I personally feel the passive from Lightning tree is nearly a must. 20% avoid and ton of def, not to mention Nova Charge dmg scales with Dex. Tried Fire + Lightning tree with Melee Sorc last season, although the 2 passives don't seem synergy with each other that much but it's makes u and ur bladdy minions super tanky (even in hard uber). Lightning + Cold, Cold + Fire could possibly work too.

Hive isn't the point of poison tree at all; it's merely a nice damage boost. The real purpose of poison tree is Vengeful Power, which gives a massive 25% to life, 20% REDUCED DAMAGE, and a 20% chance to counterattack with a crushing blow.
hive is nice in that its damage is directly related to how much dex you have, so later in the game it does thousands of dmg per second.
Personally I run poison and lightning. If you read all the comments after the melee sorc guide, it goes fairly in depth with all the options available in the different trees and the percs for each one... any combination of elements is viable, they all just have different playstyles! Feel free to ask me any more questions.

Exactly this. ^
Snickers
Prowler
18 | 0
I just cleared teganze and did not find any elemental runes. Is the drop rate just low, or am I in the wrong area? I don't believe I saw any "elemental essences" or "runestones". Ty
Inmento
Fallen
1 | 0
Do I need D2SE in order for anything Median related to work? (I didn't realize until reading a few things here that D2SE is supposed to be installed but the launcher and game work without it being installed.)

If so, why?

If not, why?

If no but is necessary, why?
madgod
Gravedigger
193 | 11
No you dont need it but i havent the slightest idea why, D2SE doesnt even work on my computer. All you need is the downloaded launcher installed in your d2 folder and add d2 to the DEP. one of the Nerds might be able to explain in greater detail.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
To begin with, nobody ever needed d2se in order to play the game. It‘s a tool and aside from a bug fix, it adds nothing to the game except the ability to switch easily from mod Y to mod X, and back to mod Z and CLoD.

It‘s more stable than the launcher, mainly because it wasn‘t changed for at least 6 years, while the launcher is still basically wip and many bugs are added each time Microsoft releases a new update for windows 10. but installing and getting d2se to work is supposedly harder to do (don‘t know since d2se doesn‘t work on my win 10 pc anymore. I have to use the launcher)
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
ChuckNoRis wrote:
Aero wrote:
ChuckNoRis wrote:you should go for the Xis runewords first before thinking about SU's

wtf

what are you wtf-ing about ? a xis takes hours to farm (guaranteed ) . finding the certain SU' you need can take weeks/months/you can actualy never find it if you are not lucky enough and you have to trade for it .

now go ahead and tell me a xis is not cheaper than a SU and that it's hard to get . i can expect anything from you MP guys

wtf :)

oh , i forgot , you just need TG online , you don't need to farm, you can just buy items . maby in your MP "economy" a xis is more expensive ...

wow nice douchey single player im op comment. 1.) a xis is "expensive" in mp because we can't control player count. 2.) a xis is "expensive" in mp beacuse we can't find one runestone and magically make a natasha armor. 3.) I very rarely ever use tg anymore and frown upon it generally, and 3.) xis requires 121, so unless you're seriously trying to find crazy su's, there's no chance you don't see a few on the way to 121.

so that bit about "you don't need to farm, you can just buy items" is the absolutely worst comment you've made besides the sp miniguides compilation because when was the last time you farmed your own stuff? other friends in sp find it for you and then "trade it to you" for free so you can dupe all and say its easy :mrgreen: check yourself m8.
Traphomet
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Is there any way to localize the docs to my computer, so if I wanted to access them without internet connection I could?
RandomOnions
Sand Maggot
1148 | 50
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
ChuckNoRis wrote:
Aero wrote:
ChuckNoRis wrote:you should go for the Xis runewords first before thinking about SU's

wtf

what are you wtf-ing about ? a xis takes hours to farm (guaranteed ) . finding the certain SU' you need can take weeks/months/you can actualy never find it if you are not lucky enough and you have to trade for it .

now go ahead and tell me a xis is not cheaper than a SU and that it's hard to get . i can expect anything from you MP guys

wtf :)

oh , i forgot , you just need TG online , you don't need to farm, you can just buy items . maby in your MP "economy" a xis is more expensive ...

Takes 1 min to dupe a full natasha if even that. Nothing is expensive or even takes time with a shared stash, not sure if you fully grasped this yet. It also doesn't take hours to farm a xis in SP with the right char and players 8. Farming su's isn't hard and doesn't take weeks by running TA, teganze or duncraig unless you're playing with one of your miniguides, then your argument holds up.

You also wont farm any xis runes midgame unless you're following one of your guides, which we know isn't the best idea. So you will definitely find SU's before xis, specially if going for 121 before farming xis, which you will. Unless you're in SP when you can start level 125 ofc.
mattknot
Invader
9 | 0
mattknot wrote:I used to play a lot of mxl in SP back in the day, and just started out on the realm for the first time. Can someone recommend me a good untwinked character to start out with and be able to farm charms and farm endgame gear for itself?

^ because the thread became a war and my question got buried
King-DC
Prowler
16 | 0
mattknot wrote:
mattknot wrote:I used to play a lot of mxl in SP back in the day, and just started out on the realm for the first time. Can someone recommend me a good untwinked character to start out with and be able to farm charms and farm endgame gear for itself?

^ because the thread became a war and my question got buried

XD I feel the same, I kinda got an answere but everyone else says it's wrong, now I'm sitting here wondering what to do :flip: