Short Questions Thread

Discuss Median XL!
Yeahsper
Cog
224 | 14
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
wewenako19 wrote:kinda confuse about the armor defense is it should be amount of the physical damage absord or deduct rather chance enemy hits you kinda have same with DodgeAvoidEvade. And should Median-XL consider block chance not exclusive w/ shield type build .. given the shield that increases the base block chance but you could also block even you not using shield but in a small block chance u can block using your weapon or armor thats durabilty works. just my opinion waiting for next season

There is already physical resistance, also pretty sure it's not easy to just change defence to something entirely different aswell. There is other block than shields, assassin have claw block.
wewenako19
Balrog
121 | 0
Yeahsper wrote:
wewenako19 wrote:kinda confuse about the armor defense is it should be amount of the physical damage absord or deduct rather chance enemy hits you kinda have same with DodgeAvoidEvade. And should Median-XL consider block chance not exclusive w/ shield type build .. given the shield that increases the base block chance but you could also block even you not using shield but in a small block chance u can block using your weapon or armor thats durabilty works. just my opinion waiting for next season

There is already physical resistance, also pretty sure it's not easy to just change defence to something entirely different aswell. There is other block than shields, assassin have claw block.

thats the point ass. has claw block dont you thnk other weapon can block also a attack? same mechanics w/ claw block i think that you cant or dont move to active the block chance (trap sin?). then physical resist kinda confused me should it be the one why we increase our defense to have resist in incoming physical nor %chance to get hit like a DAE mechanics , anyone know how physical resust works? thanks appreciate it.
Lynderika
Grubber
316 | 161
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
wewenako19 wrote:thats the point ass. has claw block dont you thnk other weapon can block also a attack? same mechanics w/ claw block i think that you cant or dont move to active the block chance (trap sin?). then physical resist kinda confused me should it be the one why we increase our defense to have resist in incoming physical nor %chance to get hit like a DAE mechanics , anyone know how physical resust works? thanks appreciate it.

https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/concepts/defense

Armor being the same as what most game would call "dodge" for weapons attacks (so, it does not work with spells) is a diablo II mechanic, I agree the name is kinda unclear but the game clearly tell it's relatated to chance to be hit so I don't see the problem, it's just a naming convention. While "Avoid" work for every kind of attacks but is very hard to increase.
The whole point of shields is to have block so you can choose between two hand or 1 + shield to be tankier with less damage, it's pretty normal to me? If you want some very specific bases (let's say, lance) to have some chances or more mechanics like clawblock it's ok but having everything blocking a little bit seems weird. There's a lots of way to have defensives layers in Median, block is one of them but it's not strictly needed, it's ok for some builds to have it and others not, I think.
Physical res work the same as any other res, so with 50% (the max for phy) you divide every physical damage taken by 2.
Also "damage reduction" affixe already exist, for both physical and elemental/magic damage, it's pretty rare so you can't defend with only that but it help against some things.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
wewenako19 wrote:
Yeahsper wrote:

thats the point ass. has claw block dont you thnk other weapon can block also a attack? same mechanics w/ claw block i think that you cant or dont move to active the block chance (trap sin?). then physical resist kinda confused me should it be the one why we increase our defense to have resist in incoming physical nor %chance to get hit like a DAE mechanics , anyone know how physical resust works? thanks appreciate it.

Well, Diablo 2 has always been that way. I'm not trying to say it's the most optimized system. But that's what the modders had to work with. It could may be possible to change that. But that's only calculating in hundrets of hours overtime for marco & co. And for such little gain, that's way too much work. Though the question whether it's even possible is still open if you remind yourself that Blizzard still hasn't released the source code for Diablo 2, which would make modding this game a thousand times easier (this is probably an understatement).

And even 1% base block chance is already a lot if you consider how many stats you gain in late game. Even more so on certain characters like Paladin and Barbarian. To put that into perspective: 1% is only half the base block chance necromancers have on their class specific shields. And class specific shields always have 1% more than normal shields.

On a different note, you'd have to rebalance a 5% chance to be hit with 50% damage reduction entirely. That means, new damage scaling on every single monster. New block chance progression. New defense scaling. New Attack Rating scaling of monsters. That's simply way too much work.

It's better to stop thinking of realism in a modification of a 20-year old fantasy game that's so old that back then the best approach was considered to be: using D&D mechanics. There's no need for offensive language either btw.

And to answer your question: Physical resist does exactly what it says. It works like any other resistance, reducing your incoming damage by a percentage. 20% physical resist means you only receive 80% of the damage. 50% means all incoming physical damage is halved.
Sheoldred
Jungle Hunter
25 | 0
If you can block all the time, even if its a small percentage, will make FBR mandatory, no?
wewenako19
Balrog
121 | 0
thanks appreciate the response sorry if i offended the devs, im just imagining the real fight scene with my char, %chance to get hit (feel like my char in a matrix movie) , block chance on weapon or physical resist on defense (feels like my char in a gladiator movie).
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
wewenako19 wrote:thanks appreciate the response sorry if i offended the devs, im just imagining the real fight scene with my char, %chance to get hit (feel like my char in a matrix movie) , block chance on weapon or physical resist on defense (feels like my char in a gladiator movie).

my bad. I thought you called Yeahsper an ass, but you just abbreviated assassin. :D
sSs_xL
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
Is there a way to craft quest items? idk what happened but game seems to be glitched on act 2, im at the tomb but got no staff and when i look at quest log it claims i completed it in previous game, this is all on single player =\

hope there a way to craft the staff i tried to get them again and wont let me, hope i dont have to remake character lol
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
sSs_xL wrote:Is there a way to craft quest items? idk what happened but game seems to be glitched on act 2, im at the tomb but got no staff and when i look at quest log it claims i completed it in previous game, this is all on single player =\

hope there a way to craft the staff i tried to get them again and wont let me, hope i dont have to remake character lol

That feature was removed. And the staff isn't in a tomb, it's in the Maggot Lair (in Far Oasis).
sSs_xL
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
Jampula wrote:
sSs_xL wrote:Is there a way to craft quest items? idk what happened but game seems to be glitched on act 2, im at the tomb but got no staff and when i look at quest log it claims i completed it in previous game, this is all on single player =\

That feature was removed. And the staff isn't in a tomb, it's in the Maggot Lair (in Far Oasis).

i know i went back to check and opened the chest in maggot lair and didnt drop staff part, then i went to check viper tomb and it didnt have amulet