Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Pascal wrote:I've grown this unyielding feeling over the past years that it is the type of armour that matters the most rather than the amount of defence shown to player (-:
..in that for example a sacret quilted armour of 3000 defence is significantly less effective than a 3000 def tiered (6) breast plate.
Prove me wrong :bounce:

Breat plate:
Max roll:
3000 / 1702 (highest base defense) = 1,76
--> So you already have 76% ED
Min roll:
3000/ 951 = 3,15
--> So you'd need 215% ED to reach that value. But that's not possible unless you socket runes.
In order to determine the average, let's just calculate a litte bit:

3000 / ((1702+951)/2) = 3000/1326,5 = 2,26
--> On average you need 126% ED to reach that value. With mystic orbs you can thus reach 3979,5 defense. Highest value is 5106 if you have 200 ED on it. But if you have the highest roll with only 76% ED you can add another 75% ED, then that means the highest possibility on a breast plate with 3000 defense is 4272.

Sacred quilted armor:
Max roll:
3000/2331 = 1,29 (1,287 rounded up)
--> So you already have 29% ED on it
Min roll:
3000/ 2263 = 1,32
--> so you already have 32% ED

On avarage:
3000/ 2297= 1,30
--> so 30% ED is needed to reach that value. With mystic orbs you can thus reach 4708,85 defense. Highest value is 6993. But if you have the highest roll with only 29 ED and add the mystic orbs to that, you reach: 4755.

Conclusion: The highest roll of a T6 breast plate is 1887 armor worse than the highest roll of a sacred quilted armor.
Now it all depends on whether you want to put another 107 points into strength to get 1887 more armor. BUT! Don't forget that you can reduce the strength required!

For this calculation I'll use the -10% jewels instead of the -14% jewels since I want to assume we can't craft jewels yet. Plus you can easily farm K3K in hatred to get -10% requirement jewels en masse.

Breast plate: 353 Base str - 60% = 141,2
Sacred quilted armor: 460 Base str - 60% = 184
184-141 = 43.

So for 43 strength you'll get 1887 more armor. Definitely an offer I'd gladly accept, since I could cover that with some mystic orbs on a honorific already. Even if we use the highest roll of a 3000 sacred quilted armor with another 75% added by using MO's and the highest roll of a 3000 def T6 breast plate with the mo's added, it's still 4755-4272= 483 more armor. But that's really only if both items have the highest base defense roll and if both armors have exactly 3000 defense. On average, it's far worse for the breast plate: 4708,85-3979,5= 729,35

So yes, I'd definitely take the quilted armor.
Pascal
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
That's exactly what I believe is quite incorrect. :hammer: The defence 'value' you are calculating in is a mere illusion as it would APPEAR THE Blizzard INDEED incorporated 'Steel better than leather' feature when creating vanilla whereby one would observe that an arrow for example does not pierce the breast plate as well as quilted tatter of clothing -even if the total character defence is evidently higher with sacred 'tatter' type armour against the 'steel' tiered one :shock:
mayerman
Imp
5 | 0
Can you create unique items? If yes, how?
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
I think the people on Phrozenkeep would've long found out something as huge as that. You can go look there for clues. If you don't find any, I guess you're wrong.

Anyway, if you want more information on defense: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Guide:De ... ,_by_Alecz

And I don't think what you just assumed is mentioned there, because the formula doesn't take that into account.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Pascal wrote:That's exactly what I believe is quite incorrect. :hammer: The defence 'value' you are calculating in is a mere illusion as it would APPEAR THE Blizzard INDEED incorporated 'Steel better than leather' feature when creating vanilla whereby one would observe that an arrow for example does not pierce the breast plate as well as quilted tatter of clothing -even if the total character defence is evidently higher with sacred 'tatter' type armour against the 'steel' tiered one :shock:

Prove it. Belief isn't evidence.

mayerman wrote:Can you create unique items? If yes, how?

You can create Tiered Uniques by cubing a Tiered base/Magic/Rare item with 2 Arcane Crystals and an Oil of Enhancement. You can't "create" Sacred Uniques, but there were a few recipes added to this season that allow you to reroll them. Check the Pandemonium thread for more info.
Invictus
Destroyer
7 | 1
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I sort of understand shrine crafting but am looking for something that can kind of dumb it down for me.

Can anyone give me a quick explanation of how you craft really decent gear?

Thanks!
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Invictus wrote:I sort of understand shrine crafting but am looking for something that can kind of dumb it down for me.

Can anyone give me a quick explanation of how you craft really decent gear?

Thanks!

Not sure what sort of answer you're looking for, but...

1. Decide what gear piece you want to craft (e.g. gloves, body armor, scepter, etc.).
2. Decide what quality you want to wear (e.g. Leather Gloves vs. Chain Gloves vs. Gauntlets, etc.) and collect at least 2 of them.
3. Look over the Shrine bonuses and decide which Shrine will give the best bonuses for your build.
4. Check out the Prefixes and Affixes List to see what other bonuses may be available as part of the crafting process (procs, oskills, etc.).
5. Put your Shrine and Rare gear piece of choice in your cube and get to crafting. Start by crafting one version until it's decent, then craft the second version of that item until it's better than the first. After that, craft the first version until it's better than the second, and so on until you end up with something you're happy with.
6. Cube your item with an Oil of Luck for a chance at an extra bonus.
7. Bless your item by cubing it with a Shrine of your choice and an AC. You can either use the same Shrine type to compound the bonuses further, or use a different Shrine type to diversify your bonuses.

Here's an example:

Let's say you play a straightforward STR-based melee build and you want to craft some gloves. Creepy Shrines may be a good choice b/c they give bonuses to your main Attribute (STR), as well as some CB for good measure. And since you're a STR build, wearing heavy armor won't be an issue, so you may as well craft Gauntlets for the higher Defense instead of something like Leather Gloves. When you've got that sorted out, you can check the Prefixes and Suffixes List to see what other goodies you may be able to get (e.g. ilvl 82+ gloves can roll with CtC Stormblast on Melee Attack). Pick out 1 or 2 mods you really want and just keep crafting until you get them. Then, Lucky and Bless the item with whatever Shrine you want.

The whole thing is a gamble, kinda like playing a slot machine, and getting the perfect combo of mods can be frustrating and time-consuming. It's a good idea to just craft something that's good enough to keep you moving while you attempt to craft better versions of the item as you play.
coolstorybro28
Acid Prince
46 | 0
carpet of spiders or lorenado?
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Lorenado if Poison is your main tree. Arachnomancy if Poison is your backup tree.
oski89
Rust Claw
80 | 2
How many TG price for Emblem of Destruction i can get?