Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
As you know in the latest patch you no longer need to retrieve your corpse.
What is your current experience with that?

I have a very ambiguous view of it. On the one hand is it going to help with ubers where dying usually happens a lot and it's helping with making it go about smoother, but on the other hand I feel a strong decline in the desire to play properly because if I don't then I have a portal nearby and no matter what risky moves I make, there will be pretty much zero punishment for it. So overall, my current impression with it is that it's good, but I wish there was an appropriate replacement punishment for dying so it doesn't feel as abuseable and by externsion create an incentive to play properly.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Incoming terrorist build.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Conceptually, it's a good idea. Places filled with instagibs (Duncraig, Triune, etc.) are such a pita on SP, especially for weaker builds or builds w/o access to timerless teleport. If you died in one of these places, you basically had to start over since you're not getting your corpse back. TSW players never had to worry about that b/c they could just abuse rejoin ad infinium. It basically gives SP players the same advantage TSW players had with rejoin, thus leveling the playing field.

As to the point of it encouraging improper play, I don't see how. As I said, TSW players always had rejoin, which isn't any different than having your corpse spawn in town.
UncleGrimjerk
Monkey King
268 | 31
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
But when you quit and rejoined your tp's went with you.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
True, but TSW players had a work-around in the form of TP holders (I guess you could do that in SP too). But even without a TP holder, all you had to do was walk back to where you were. You didn't have to worry about clearing the whole area all over again. Having your corpse spawn in town just shortens the whole process and frees you from having to beg for TP holds.
chuk15
Thunder Beetle
51 | 2
I like it over all but my nostalgia goggles won't let me accept it yet as somehow I feel running to my corpse added some kind of "flavor" to the game. I kinda miss running and dodging naked through hordes of monsters to grab my pitiful corpse xD
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Lol, yeah. It was like a small testament to your skill. The thrill of dodging hordes of monsters that could instagib you at any time, just to turn around and kill them all once you got your corpse back. It was supremely satisfying. Ah, good times...

In the end though, I still think the move toward no character corpses is a step in the right direction.
archon256
Cog
227 | 10
Legendary Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Solfege wrote:As to the point of it encouraging improper play, I don't see how. As I said, TSW players always had rejoin, which isn't any different than having your corpse spawn in town.

I think basically MP always encouraged improper play, all this change does is make it so that SP has the same problem too.
It's nice that both players have the same death mechanic now, but it does make things a lot easier.

Well, I guess it does help make a lot of ubers feel less "bullshit", so it's a good thing.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Hmm... Well maybe I'm not understanding what's meant by "playing properly." (Void, explain pls :) )

I mean, take Uldy Baal, for example. Before this patch, the only way you could do it as a Melee Sorc was to throw your corpse at him 30-50x, praying he didn't regen to full before you got your body back. (that's not a joke, nor an exaggeration). Sure, that's not the case anymore since he doesn't have regen, but how many other builds still require throwing your corpse at a particular Uber a dozen times? Auto corpse recovery just streamlines the whole process, making things far less frustrating.

That said, I thought I read a while back a vague comment Marco made implying there would be some penalty. I wouldn't be against something like a certain percentage of monsters respawning or a boss recovering 5% of it's health or something. Just as long as the whole map doesn't respawn and the boss regens to full. That would basically negate the enire concept.
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Solfege wrote:Hmm... Well maybe I'm not understanding what's meant by "playing properly." (Void, explain pls :) )

I mean, take Uldy Baal, for example. Before this patch, the only way you could do it as a Melee Sorc was to throw your corpse at him 30-50x, praying he didn't regen to full before you got your body back. (that's not a joke, nor an exaggeration). Sure, that's not the case anymore since he doesn't have regen, but how many other builds still require throwing your corpse at a particular Uber a dozen times? Auto corpse recovery just streamlines the whole process, making things far less frustrating.

That said, I thought I read a while back a vague comment Marco made implying there would be some penalty. I wouldn't be against something like a certain percentage of monsters respawning or a boss recovering 5% of it's health or something. Just as long as the whole map doesn't respawn and the boss regens to full. That would basically negate the enire concept.

The concept of having a do it all with ease build is a little bit silly.