Discuss Median XL!
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Hi, im a shitzon. I've tried working with Korcolas guide, taking tips from SB's tantrumdin guide (I also expect a bit of innacuracy due to date of publishing), talked with a few people - and now I'm ready to pry my eyes out with a rusty spork. It must have been a fucking miracle last ladder to get it in 5ish tries but I'm too stubborn to move on to other ubers because I slowly improve my general survival which I'm happy - but am now becoming so burnt out from rerunning it it's borderline depressing.

Currently I have been killing Mendeln first and spamming wyrd right after when he has the last viewable bar of health in his name.

Shnurr was saying to kill rathma first because of his high avoid (makes sense, cant hit, how kill to sync swirls) and to kill mendeln, we will shoot 3 black slayers at him and finish him off with purify. The inconsistency of his health after 3 black slayers has worried me and how large of a health pool he has remained. (Somebody told me a few days later the invisible bolts flying from the red portals CAN hurt them but i have no fucking clue when it happens cause of avoid and this creates inconsistency again for me)

Another person said spam purify on Rathma when he is last left as wyrd is to maintain OW. 12 purifies in perfect succession and on top of the lack of accuracy because Rathma likes to stutter step a bit sometimes so meh, not feeling comfortable on this one. On top of that, i was trying to experiment with it just to see how much damage he took, and Mendeln spazzes out like he missed his meds or just likes to pop unholy armor in wierd moments (of course from getting too close, but holy shit with the accuracy on this one). Even if i hit (maybe it missed cause too long a range), it didn't seem to do much, so I'll just assume I'm super inaccurate.

Same person said you could to an extent rely on more bolts from Mendeln to finish off Rathma and swag it out with black slayer bolts, but it seems ballsier.

SB's guide said spam wyrd and finish with purify (watching the video i didn't see a purify, could have been due to old wyrd and how spammable it was clogging the screen and quick hotkey switching). I took this one as a maybe, but dont focus on it because different patches.

So once again, my survivability during the fight has much improved, but now I'm just wondering how the fuck do I kill these bastards before I kill myself at this rate? At this point I'm just yoloing through Rathma's avoid and praying I kill him. The only saving grace at this point is the demon keys I've recieved because it's a please try again but sometimes you just want to say "oh my fucking god it's over" and move on to the next ubers.

I am super fussy with detail so the more you explain in detail, the more appreciated it will be. Thanks.
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
well i didnt try it yet this patch, but the patches before, the non-sneaky way of doing it for me always involved getting both very low and then let rathma finish mendeln and use ow to kill rathma. usually ow with wyrd, but it depends on the class. for amazon wyrd is probably the best option.
ive never killed rathma first, because mendeln doesnt seem to lose hp, even with purify spam and ow.

i think rathma gets ow effect from purify + physical hit and also the slayer bolts + physical hit, because i did it before without using any purify and he bleeded to death, and the only way he could take the initial damage could have been the slayer bolts, so thats something to consider.

there might be a small chance that mendeln actually activated the ow effect but thats pretty low considering how many times it worked, and also the slayer bolts visually seem to fly towards rathma so the evidence for it is quite good
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
To me it just seems that Barb is a natural killer for void due to fortress at this point. I hate having to level up a barb for this reason, but I'm slowly running out of options at this point.
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
pub i think you misunderstood what i was saying I was saying let rathma hit mendel with 3 slayers at the beginning of the fight to lower his hp to about 1/4 then move both bosses apart. Keep ow up on mendelen and slowly whittle his hp down with purify down to very low whilst at the same time kind of keeping an eye on rathma and moving his hp down as well with open wounds. When mendelen is very low focus your attention on rathma to bring his hp down and stop keeping ow up on mendel or purifying him. When both bosses are low push mendelen into rathma and sit as far as you can away from them so you still get swirlies let them duke it out and finish the fight. After tons of failed attempts with different strategies this one worked well for me. I went and did another fight later to make sure it was a viable strat and was able to reproduced it again with the same result.

additionally it seems that at the end of the fight it might be important to not let ow fall off rathma since even with a sliver of hp left that last purify can be a bitch with his huge avoid. I cant confirm that this is really important to focus on since i didnt really test it out too much.
redicomerade
Abomination
140 | 10
Common Popularity Badge
void wrote:well i didnt try it yet this patch, but the patches before, the non-sneaky way of doing it for me always involved getting both very low and then let rathma finish mendeln and use ow to kill rathma. usually ow with wyrd, but it depends on the class. for amazon wyrd is probably the best option.
ive never killed rathma first, because mendeln doesnt seem to lose hp, even with purify spam and ow.

i think rathma gets ow effect from purify + physical hit and also the slayer bolts + physical hit, because i did it before without using any purify and he bleeded to death, and the only way he could take the initial damage could have been the slayer bolts, so thats something to consider.

there might be a small chance that mendeln actually activated the ow effect but thats pretty low considering how many times it worked, and also the slayer bolts visually seem to fly towards rathma so the evidence for it is quite good

You can kill rathma first, mendeln does recieve damage only from purify and OW. I know cause its always the way i do this fight, but you have to get him 3 or 4 times black slayer bolt and then maaany purifies and OW to get his hp bar almost nothing. But that time rathma should have less than 1/2 hp bar. Just many tries. Many. Shit i hate this fight
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
void wrote:ive never killed rathma first, because mendeln doesnt seem to lose hp, even with purify spam and ow.

Mendel Can take damage from purify he just has much more hp I can definitely confirm this

the way that it has been explained to me is that

Mendelen has a huge amount of hp but minimal or no avoid
Rathma has almost no hp but huge avoid

therefore when keeping ow up through constant spam it seems like rathma is much weaker than mendelen but purify is a very risky strategy on him. Mendelen has much more hp and purify is very slow but works as a good way to whittle his hp down.
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
shnurr214 wrote:pub i think you misunderstood what i was saying I was saying let rathma hit mendel with 3 slayers at the beginning of the fight to lower his hp to about 1/4 then move both bosses apart. Keep ow up on mendelen and slowly whittle his hp down with purify down to very low whilst at the same time kind of keeping an eye on rathma and moving his hp down as well with open wounds. When mendelen is very low focus your attention on rathma to bring his hp down and stop keeping ow up on mendel or purifying him. When both bosses are low push mendelen into rathma and sit as far as you can away from them so you still get swirlies let them duke it out and finish the fight. After tons of failed attempts with different strategies this one worked well for me. I went and did another fight later to make sure it was a viable strat and was able to reproduced it again with the same result.

additionally it seems that at the end of the fight it might be important to not let ow fall off rathma since even with a sliver of hp left that last purify can be a bitch with his huge avoid. I cant confirm that this is really important to focus on since i didnt really test it out too much.

I see. It just feels very difficult to manage OW at this point with wyrd on 1.4 CD while purify locks you out (by the time purify is off, all my wyrds are gone). I believe your route seems much more viable with fortress lingering for so long and the amount of attacks coming (I feel like you MUST have used fortress). At this point I'm just looking at oskills to see whats the best ranged non-cd multihitting spamfest and I'll start from there.
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Could you use barrage with Vit crafts pub? That seems like an ideal skill. You just lose out on 10% magic res from the shield but might be easier? Perhaps there is a decent java skill for applying ow? Im not super familiar with zon.

alternatively i know a lot of vets like Ben and Vamp who farm void a lot dont like to use slow target but personally i think it helps manage the fight. I use a
Void
Void
Weapons

'Sur'
Runeword Level: 75
Adds 7-13 Damage
+(58 to 72)% Enhanced Damage
Slow Target 20%
Regenerate Mana +15%
Cold Resist +40%
Physical Damage Reduced by (11 to 15)
+(3 to 5) Mana on Striking
2% Reanimate as: Random Monster
weapon. Maybe a void bow?
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Barrage might be an idea worth experimenting with. I havn't been to impressed with slow in the fight, but could revisit it. Enfilade would be a disgusting single target hitter, problem is I'm currently geared for bloodzon and thats where I have a 20k life pool to afford not dying instantly. Respecing during the fight I feel would be doable and now I need to save up a few quiet shrines to craft some gear to execute this idea. Maybe with a few quiet crafts, I can easily push through chaos and void, but we will see. Going to have to see bow oskills first before I try maelstrom. I'd be more glad to try non bloodzon spec related stuff first but it means I'll have to craft some gear and it's just easier to get one piece of gear for an oskill if the oskill itself seems viable.
DeanLew
Azure Drake
169 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Pub you're a legend why even worry about void to begin with? Just been getting unlucky that's all. If the fight was about skill you would have won first try.