I think people should spend less time knee jerking and more time actually theorycrafting and improving their builds/skills. Some of the stuff I read on forums and discord is both funny and sad at the same time. I understand that this is a small community, and so there are very few skilled players willing to experiment with random builds, let alone then sharing their knowledge with the community in the form of guides, but it's still very annoying.
This will be a bit of a rant, for which I apologise in advance, but I am tired of reading: build X is "unplayable" or item Y is "garbage" or (the latest trend) "build has less than 500k defence so it's worthless", when it couldn't be further away from the truth. Let me address the most pressing concern that people have since 1.3, namely that "Sorceress is garbage". This is completely false and she is actually in a really good spot, which I will now prove to you.
Let's quickly skip over the Melee build because this one should be obvious. This build works perfectly fine without any Ice elementals. In fact using them is such a colossal waste of time that it should never be done. Cold/lightning spec reaches max block and 400k+ defence in midgame gear easily without them, so if you're one of the people that think they need Ice Ele aura to survive, then I suggest that you re-evaluate your gear choices.
Now about the caster Sorceress. What if I told you that I have a Flamefront ("trash" skill btw) build which clears Duncraig perfectly fine, stomps Teganze, easily and safely does deathless Fauztinville clears, demolishes TA (without using pots if I want to), clears Toraja just fine without respecs and on top of that has good-excellent single target damage. What if I then told you that this build has 85k defence and is running the "trash of the nation" passive called Living Flame with the "glassy unplayable / meme" Fire + Poison combo. And the kicker? She's missing about 1/4 of the charms (all the hard ones), has 0 trophies and the most expensive/rarest item equipped is the SU belt. Does that sound unplayable to you all? Because if so, then I must be playing the wrong game. Does this sort of build really need me to post a showcase video or a guide for people to open their eyes?
And this is just one example. I don't have the time nor the desire to, in fact, provide working proof of concept for all other possible caster Sorceress tree combos. However if I can get the most "meme" build to work splendidly, then believe me you can make the others work even better.
@Solfege: sorry for picking on you, but you are the last to post such an opinion and people who don't know any better upvote that, frankly, rubbish; so allow me to tell you why you're wrong. Living Flame is a great passive. On my midgame geared Sorc it regenerates 900 hp/second. That's basically a free Eagle Stance, which is already good enough but on top of that it also gives 1.7k flat life. This life regen is actually great for Sorceresses:
- It drastically improves the uptime of the Witch Blood damage bonus. It might not seem like that in theory, but in practice this bonus is very often lost without it when doing harder content
- It provides excellent protection against deadly poison damage. Some sources of poison damage can be extremely lethal even with 85+ poison res. However because it acts per frame a large portion of it gets negated by Living flame. Even in cases where it isn't enough to fully counter it, such as eating a punisher, it helps tremendously because it gives you 2x-3x the reaction time to drink the antidote and hence leaves you significantly less vulnerable
- Makes minions extremely tanky, especially so in zones with a lot of spell damage
- It allows you to farm very comfortably. While "theoretically" you can always be drinking a potion or slamming cookies doing both of those things slow you down significantly and make clearing zones very inefficient
- Contrary to your claims it is perfectly sufficient to outregen the enemy onslaught, which can be proven easily by doing potionless/antimasless TA runs for example
I think my points above also prove that Ice ele-less sorc works just fine. Btw, base defence boost? No idea where this came from.
Also, another semi-related note I want to touch on, even though it should have been obvious. All of the new & reworked items that have been put out since 2017 and especially those with orange text that give bonuses to certain skills have been personally tested by me with an appropriate build tailored to the respective item. Therefore if you think that any of them "suck" or are "unusable trash" then you are wrong, plain and simple. I do not claim that these are best in slot (that was never the aim for most), but that is a far cry from being auto sigs.
The community wanted new, interesting and good sacred uniques. Which I delivered to, sadly, lukewarm usage. Tell me, what is the point of these items if people are never willing to deviate from the norm, to experiment and innovate? What is the point of any SU rework in Sigma if you aren't going to use any item which doesn't directly power creep over your current favourite? What is the point for us to spend time and energy thinking of interesting ways to make build X work, when all you're going to do is play variant Y because it's the only one that has a guide on it or is the one that deals 10% more damage? Some of you have been playing this game for years, but unfortunately it seems most of you have been doing so on auto pilot.