Quest glitches in Act 2

Discuss Median XL!
SpamBomb
Monkey King
257 | 7
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Taem wrote:Interesting take on the Quest issues, something I never bothered to look into myself. After having played the game endlessly, I honestly don't even remember what any of the dialog says. To me, the dialog of D2 was never that engaging as it was in D1 and didn't really add much to the game play experience; it had always been by far the weakest part of the game. I do, however, like your idea of adding in a cube clone so the classic quest story line remains untainted. You should put this in the thread about upcoming patch.

key to the cube

cube now has id item power
KelpTheGreat
Prowler
17 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Unda wrote:First:
What you said earlier "I noticed that you start the game with the Horadric Cube, presumably for crafting purposes, but this causes quest glitches in Act 2." is not true cuz it didnt cause anything wrong, will explain it further. When you starting Act2 in mod you got only opened Quest 2 which saying "Take the artifacts to Cain in Lut Gholein" and after talking to him its changed to "Search the Halls of the Dead under the Dry Hills for the Cube. Search the Maggot Lair under the Far Oasis for the Shaft. Search the Claw Viper Temple for the Headpiece.". For me all seems fine cuz you got already Cube and should continue with looking for Staff and Amulet. I did talked also with each NPC in Act2 and nothing unusual occured at this point, I also didnt left town thru gate yet. Next step was to go and get rid of Radament plus take Horadric Scroll, killed him but when opened chest then no Horadric Scroll droped from it, so explain to me how you droped Horadric scroll if you talked earlier with all NPC's , have you left town gate maybe before that? At this point no The Summoner quest was triggered.

What I meant by "quest glitches" is that the Horadric Staff quest is started as soon as Act 2 is entered, rather than when you pick up the Horadric Scroll. Until I read your post and did some subsequent online research, I didn't even realize that Radament's boss chest was supposed to drop the Horadric Scroll and start the quest. Like you say happened to you, I didn't get a scroll from the chest. I don't know what you meant by "explain to me how you droped Hoadric scroll if you talked earlier with all NPC's". I never received a scroll, never dropped one, and never said I did either of those things.

Unda wrote:Second:
What you said in initial post "also, the quest in my quest log allows me to play his dialogue that normally plays when returning the Horadric Scroll to him." is not true. Tried it in game on realm now and Cain is only speaking which is as it should be. Due to Horadric Scroll not droping in first scenario, with second scenario I did not talked to Cain at all and had Scroll from chest and after that talked with Cain and he opened only above dialog.

I don't know if you're calling me a liar or what, but what I said happened is what happened to me. Right after entering Act 2, before leaving town or even going into the Sewers, I opened my quest log, hit the "play dialogue" button below the Horadric Staff quest, and it played the dialogue that Cain delivers when you give him the Scroll - which I hadn't yet done. I don't remember whether I did so before or after talking to Cain, but my hunch is I did it after talking to him.

Unda wrote:Now Im not quite sure that you did what you said in that thread, have you didnt mentioned some steps you made like leaving town, messing around or anything else? Cuz as I said earlier no The summoner quest was triggered with both scenarios I tried. Curious if you was able to recreate The Summoner problem in your other single player game.

I never said I had another single player game. I'm just playing the one character. If you played it with two characters and didn't run into this glitch, then all that means is that you weren't able to recreate the glitch. This definitely happened to me, I could take screenshots if you don't believe me.
KelpTheGreat
Prowler
17 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Taem wrote:I do, however, like your idea of adding in a cube clone so the classic quest story line remains untainted. You should put this in the thread about upcoming patch.

Sure, I could do that. Where's this thread? Is it the "Season 18: Pandemonium" thread?
Unda
Onyx Knight
621 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
KelpTheGreat wrote:
Unda wrote:First:
What you said earlier "I noticed that you start the game with the Horadric Cube, presumably for crafting purposes, but this causes quest glitches in Act 2." is not true cuz it didnt cause anything wrong, will explain it further. When you starting Act2 in mod you got only opened Quest 2 which saying "Take the artifacts to Cain in Lut Gholein" and after talking to him its changed to "Search the Halls of the Dead under the Dry Hills for the Cube. Search the Maggot Lair under the Far Oasis for the Shaft. Search the Claw Viper Temple for the Headpiece.". For me all seems fine cuz you got already Cube and should continue with looking for Staff and Amulet. I did talked also with each NPC in Act2 and nothing unusual occured at this point, I also didnt left town thru gate yet. Next step was to go and get rid of Radament plus take Horadric Scroll, killed him but when opened chest then no Horadric Scroll droped from it, so explain to me how you droped Horadric scroll if you talked earlier with all NPC's , have you left town gate maybe before that? At this point no The Summoner quest was triggered.

What I meant by "quest glitches" is that the Horadric Staff quest is started as soon as Act 2 is entered, rather than when you pick up the Horadric Scroll. Until I read your post and did some subsequent online research, I didn't even realize that Radament's boss chest was supposed to drop the Horadric Scroll and start the quest. Like you say happened to you, I didn't get a scroll from the chest. I don't know what you meant by "explain to me how you droped Hoadric scroll if you talked earlier with all NPC's". I never received a scroll, never dropped one, and never said I did either of those things.

Unda wrote:Second:
What you said in initial post "also, the quest in my quest log allows me to play his dialogue that normally plays when returning the Horadric Scroll to him." is not true. Tried it in game on realm now and Cain is only speaking which is as it should be. Due to Horadric Scroll not droping in first scenario, with second scenario I did not talked to Cain at all and had Scroll from chest and after that talked with Cain and he opened only above dialog.

I don't know if you're calling me a liar or what, but what I said happened is what happened to me. Right after entering Act 2, before leaving town or even going into the Sewers, I opened my quest log, hit the "play dialogue" button below the Horadric Staff quest, and it played the dialogue that Cain delivers when you give him the Scroll - which I hadn't yet done. I don't remember whether I did so before or after talking to Cain, but my hunch is I did it after talking to him.

Unda wrote:Now Im not quite sure that you did what you said in that thread, have you didnt mentioned some steps you made like leaving town, messing around or anything else? Cuz as I said earlier no The summoner quest was triggered with both scenarios I tried. Curious if you was able to recreate The Summoner problem in your other single player game.

I never said I had another single player game. I'm just playing the one character. If you played it with two characters and didn't run into this glitch, then all that means is that you weren't able to recreate the glitch. This definitely happened to me, I could take screenshots if you don't believe me.

All what I asked for was more information about how The Summoner quest was triggered in your SP game so then I could try it myself and tell you if same glitch is the thing on realm aka multiplayer.

So far tried five different characters on hardcore and wasnt able to recreate that problem with information you gave so far.

I didnt called you liar, so why you saying that? I added there First and Second scenario tag for reason so I said what you posted wasnt true for scenarios I tried, its just that. Simple stuff is that initial Horadric Scroll dialog from Cain in Act2 isnt played at any point even when you back to him with scroll or talk to him without it, talking about that dialog:

" Ahh... The lost Horadric Scroll! What a fortunate turn of events...
As the last living Horadrim, I alone have knowledge of its meaning. Now, to read the Horadric runes it bears. Hmmm...
The Horadric Mages, after binding Baal within Tal Rasha, magically sealed off his Burial Chamber from the mortal realm. Those same Mages also crafted fearsome Horadric Staves and imbued them with the special power to open the Chamber's hidden door.
After nearly losing one to the thievery of a rogue sorcerer, they divided all the Horadric Staves into two parts - wooden shaft and metal headpiece - hiding them separately to safeguard them.
The Horadrim foresaw our current plight and designed the hiding places to reveal themselves to worthy heroes like you.
Collect both parts of a Horadric Staff and unite them using a Horadric Cube. Then, you may enter Tal Rasha's Burial Chamber."

I said "Curious if you was able to recreate The Summoner problem in your other single player game." cuz I want you to try another character and tell if same stuff occured. I also made screenshot of each step I made during trying scenarios with dialogs, NPC's and quests upon entering Act2 and finishing Radament quest, picking or not Horadric Scroll so Im also not saying things from air. So focus and try to recreate that The Summoner glitch with second char and then we can think about how to fix that or give infos to devs or ask testers who actually playing Sigma on closed server to check that scenario out.

KelpTheGreat wrote:
Taem wrote:I do, however, like your idea of adding in a cube clone so the classic quest story line remains untainted. You should put this in the thread about upcoming patch.

Sure, I could do that. Where's this thread? Is it the "Season 18: Pandemonium" thread?

Suggestions for upcoming patch
IVIike
Pit Knight
104 | 5
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Fight fight fight fight.

Ding ding ding
KelpTheGreat
Prowler
17 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Unda wrote:All what I asked for was more information about how The Summoner quest was triggered in your SP game so then I could try it myself and tell you if same glitch is the thing on realm aka multiplayer.

So far tried five different characters on hardcore and wasnt able to recreate that problem with information you gave so far.

I didnt called you liar, so why you saying that? I added there First and Second scenario tag for reason so I said what you posted wasnt true for scenarios I tried, its just that. Simple stuff is that initial Horadric Scroll dialog from Cain in Act2 isnt played at any point even when you back to him with scroll or talk to him without it, talking about that dialog:

I said "Curious if you was able to recreate The Summoner problem in your other single player game." cuz I want you to try another character and tell if same stuff occured. I also made screenshot of each step I made during trying scenarios with dialogs, NPC's and quests upon entering Act2 and finishing Radament quest, picking or not Horadric Scroll so Im also not saying things from air. So focus and try to recreate that The Summoner glitch with second char and then we can think about how to fix that or give infos to devs or ask testers who actually playing Sigma on closed server to check that scenario out.

I'm sorry, your English is somewhat poor and so I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean at times. I didn't and don't mean any offense, and I haven't in turn been offended by anything you've said; you've been quite helpful.

I suppose I can create a second character and play it through to Act 2, to see if I run into the same Summoner-related glitch. It could have been a one-in-a-million fluke, for all I know.
Unda
Onyx Knight
621 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
KelpTheGreat wrote:I'm sorry, your English is somewhat poor and so I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean at times. I didn't and don't mean any offense, and I haven't in turn been offended by anything you've said; you've been quite helpful.

I suppose I can create a second character and play it through to Act 2, to see if I run into the same Summoner-related glitch. It could have been a one-in-a-million fluke, for all I know.

No worry, tried to explain as best as I could but I know its not perfect. Do you speak maybe other language?

When you will be close to finish Act1 again then copy your savegame files so you will be able to test Act2 glitches without need of making new one.

IVIike wrote:Fight fight fight fight.

Ding ding ding

Maybe you got anything to say to actually help him to fix glitch other than trolling?
KelpTheGreat
Prowler
17 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Unda wrote:When you will be close to finish Act1 again then copy your savegame files so you will be able to test Act2 glitches without need of making new one.

Good idea! I'll also make a copy of my current character's save file, just in case.

Unda wrote:
IVIike wrote:Fight fight fight fight.

Ding ding ding

Maybe you got anything to say to actually help him to fix glitch other than trolling?

Probably not. :P
aggmesh
Skeleton
3 | 0
Hi, so i just started playing this.

I'm not having the same problem as OP, however it's the same topic.

I'm trying to get the staff of kings out of maggot lair, yet it just doesn't drop. I'm sure, i've rechecked many times, that i don't have the staff, it's neither equiped (both slots) or on inventory or on stash.

Am i missing something?

Thanks
DacianDraco
Cog
212 | 17
aggmesh wrote:Hi, so i just started playing this.

I'm not having the same problem as OP, however it's the same topic.

I'm trying to get the staff of kings out of maggot lair, yet it just doesn't drop. I'm sure, i've rechecked many times, that i don't have the staff, it's neither equiped (both slots) or on inventory or on stash.

Am i missing something?

Thanks

I think it should be in the golden chest or some chest in the burning room where the worm is. If not you can try resetting the map, by switching difficulty or if still in normal and can't switch just host a TCP/IP game and then go back to Single Player, maybe it will start dropping. Or go here https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/items/cube hit F3 and type Shortcut Recipe if nothing else works.