First Time Player - Build Suggestions?

Discuss Median XL!
Gaidin85
Skeleton
2 | 0
Hello Everyone -

I have not played Diablo 2 in YEARS, like a decade or more. So I am pretty excited for Median XL - Sigma.
Wondering if anyone (knowing that a lot changed in this update) has some good build suggestions for a newbie.

Would like something that has nice AOE and really requires me to only keep track of a couple skills/stats.

Having tried out some things in the first few quests my thoughts are:

--Neutraldin Walking Simulator (what Pohx is doing ATM): Seems pretty simply, just grab the skills in the Neutral lines, max the auto attack skills and their synargies. Stats seems more complex because you would want strength for gear, vitality for life, energy for scaling.

--Bowmazon: No real idea's here. The "Arrow Nova" thing seems cool but I was always out of mana trying that.

--Twin Fang Strike Assassin: This seems neat, run around killing stuff with fire/posion nova. Max twin fangs, max the two passives that buff posion and fire. Stat dump into dex/vitality/some energy(?)

But - I am stepping away for a bit now, thought I would register for the site, throw up a post, ask your throughts.

Thanks, hope you all are having a lot of fun so far!
alexhsg
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
play what you like. whats nice and fluid for you and when you want an easier game or something to easier beat some things like boss places or bosses for charms go with something with nice pets. barb is now strong for this but please do yourself a favor and play first what you realy enjoy. playing with pets is a bit lame and mostly only feasable when you want play semi afk and have e easy time or need to beat something easy.

edit: i for myself playing sum barb as first char because i played meadian years ago and know i will play mostly all chars and just need first some charms for more lvl and overall fun with the follow up chars

edit2: now readed all what you wrote. as i said you mostly will ply every class or most of them, because they play all nicely and are fun.
darkstorm
Core Lord
384 | 0
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Gaidin85 wrote:Hello Everyone -

I have not played Diablo 2 in YEARS, like a decade or more. So I am pretty excited for Median XL - Sigma.
Wondering if anyone (knowing that a lot changed in this update) has some good build suggestions for a newbie.

Would like something that has nice AOE and really requires me to only keep track of a couple skills/stats.

Having tried out some things in the first few quests my thoughts are:

--Neutraldin Walking Simulator (what Pohx is doing ATM): Seems pretty simply, just grab the skills in the Neutral lines, max the auto attack skills and their synargies. Stats seems more complex because you would want strength for gear, vitality for life, energy for scaling.

--Bowmazon: No real idea's here. The "Arrow Nova" thing seems cool but I was always out of mana trying that.

--Twin Fang Strike Assassin: This seems neat, run around killing stuff with fire/posion nova. Max twin fangs, max the two passives that buff posion and fire. Stat dump into dex/vitality/some energy(?)

But - I am stepping away for a bit now, thought I would register for the site, throw up a post, ask your throughts.

Thanks, hope you all are having a lot of fun so far!

Try nagissin. It fits your description well. Or harbringer wolfdruid.
lunar.seven
Grubber
325 | 8
nice AoE builds ? there are many out there, i would say all character has some type of AoE Skill in his skilltree

here in this list are some
old Guides, make sure, that you check if they to outdated when you look at the skills or items that are listed in the guides

viewforum.php?f=49
Nagumo
Destroyer
7 | 0
I'm a neewbie, too. I started today with a bowazon and honestly i'm really unsure, if i do it the right way in case of stats. I reached level 22 and tried ecstatic frenzy, which is obviously fun to play.
But now i ask myself a few things: Is this playstyle really doable in Hell later on? I mean going with 0 Defence? If i play this way, should i invest in strength anymore, because without defence it is some kind of useless to wear highest armor rate. But on the other hand, maybe i disabled myself to wear the right armor with the right affix/suffix. I tried to look at a few items in the doc and have seen that you have to go to 700 and more strength to wear everything.

I'm really confused :) (And btw: The first guide of Sigma about the 2h barb is for nebies like reading something in an alien language XD)
alexhsg
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
Nagumo wrote:I'm a neewbie, too. I started today with a bowazon and honestly i'm really unsure, if i do it the right way in case of stats. I reached level 22 and tried ecstatic frenzy, which is obviously fun to play.
But now i ask myself a few things: Is this playstyle really doable in Hell later on? I mean going with 0 Defence? If i play this way, should i invest in strength anymore, because without defence it is some kind of useless to wear highest armor rate. But on the other hand, maybe i disabled myself to wear the right armor with the right affix/suffix. I tried to look at a few items in the doc and have seen that you have to go to 700 and more strength to wear everything.

I'm really confused :) (And btw: The first guide of Sigma about the 2h barb is for nebies like reading something in an alien language XD)

as one who played every class before to max or near max and loved to play the hunter i can say to you no worries about endgame. every class works there. when i remember correctly i donsnt used frenzy the whole time. it realy depends against what you play. when you play long range and nothing can hit you its no prob. when you cant play long range and you get more and more hits just put it out.

statswise its no problem too. endgame equip has tons of stats and you got so much % too. your fault is that you plan to much ahead. you are new. just play the game and see how it goes and do the math later on. median is well tested over many many years so just trust the mod to work endgame great.
Gaidin85
Skeleton
2 | 0
lunar.seven wrote:nice AoE builds ? there are many out there, i would say all character has some type of AoE Skill in his skilltree

here in this list are some
old Guides, make sure, that you check if they to outdated when you look at the skills or items that are listed in the guides

viewforum.php?f=49

Thanks, I saw these before the launch, then could not find them again after.
Nagumo
Destroyer
7 | 0
alexhsg wrote:
Nagumo wrote:I'm a neewbie, too. I started today with a bowazon and honestly i'm really unsure, if i do it the right way in case of stats. I reached level 22 and tried ecstatic frenzy, which is obviously fun to play.

as one who played every class before to max or near max and loved to play the hunter i can say to you no worries about endgame. every class works there. when i remember correctly i donsnt used frenzy the whole time. it realy depends against what you play. when you play long range and nothing can hit you its no prob. when you cant play long range and you get more and more hits just put it out.

statswise its no problem too. endgame equip has tons of stats and you got so much % too. your fault is that you plan to much ahead. you are new. just play the game and see how it goes and do the math later on. median is well tested over many many years so just trust the mod to work endgame great.

Ok thx you :D
Propz
Jungle Hunter
26 | 0
alexhsg wrote:play what you like. whats nice and fluid for you and when you want an easier game or something to easier beat some things like boss places or bosses for charms go with something with nice pets. barb is now strong for this but please do yourself a favor and play first what you realy enjoy. playing with pets is a bit lame and mostly only feasable when you want play semi afk and have e easy time or need to beat something easy.

edit: i for myself playing sum barb as first char because i played meadian years ago and know i will play mostly all chars and just need first some charms for more lvl and overall fun with the follow up chars

edit2: now readed all what you wrote. as i said you mostly will ply every class or most of them, because they play all nicely and are fun.

So, the problem with this answer (which I see all over the forums) is, how does one just, "play what they enjoy", when they know nothing about the Median XL mod??? B/c in LoD, I LOVED the sorceress. I love casting. I love elemental spells. I like high damage from a distance. The sorceress, at its' best, can't do that in Median XL.... ele sorces arent as viable as they once were...the melee sorceress is better suited for gameplay walkthrough as well as endgame... (check the forums if you dont believe me) and I hate melee builds. Sure, you can add elemental damage to your melee build (rainbow damage), but it's not the same. So I hate when people say, "play what you like" bc it's not so much the class in Median XL as it is the playstyle. In LoD, you knew what class played what style. If you wanted a summoner, you chose necro... in Median XL, you pick a Barb for that. In LoD, if you liked melee, you'd love the Barb or a smiter or zealer paladin... in Median XL, you'd probably like sorceress more for melee.... it's all so different... so this answer of "pick what you like" isn't adequate for a new player. If you like casting in general, you'd probably have more fun as a traprat... if you enjoyed a bowazon in LoD, you'l want to play a crossbow necro in Median XL. If you liked the hammerdin in LoD, you'd like the Hammerzon in Median XL. From my personal experience, (to the OP) which is limited, the most viable build, starting entirely fresh with no gear/friends to help you out, is the Traprat Druid. I've tried every class except Assassin, and walked through the game with each, and trprat was the easiest.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Propz wrote:
alexhsg wrote:play what you like. whats nice and fluid for you and when you want an easier game or something to easier beat some things like boss places or bosses for charms go with something with nice pets. barb is now strong for this but please do yourself a favor and play first what you realy enjoy. playing with pets is a bit lame and mostly only feasable when you want play semi afk and have e easy time or need to beat something easy.

So, the problem with this answer (which I see all over the forums) is, how does one just, "play what they enjoy", when they know nothing about the Median XL mod??? B/c in LoD, I LOVED the sorceress. I love casting. I love elemental spells. I like high damage from a distance. The sorceress, at its' best, can't do that in Median XL.... ele sorces arent as viable as they once were...the melee sorceress is better suited for gameplay walkthrough as well as endgame... (check the forums if you dont believe me) and I hate melee builds. Sure, you can add elemental damage to your melee build (rainbow damage), but it's not the same. So I hate when people say, "play what you like" bc it's not so much the class in Median XL as it is the playstyle. In LoD, you knew what class played what style. If you wanted a summoner, you chose necro... in Median XL, you pick a Barb for that. In LoD, if you liked melee, you'd love the Barb or a smiter or zealer paladin... in Median XL, you'd probably like sorceress more for melee.... it's all so different... so this answer of "pick what you like" isn't adequate for a new player. If you like casting in general, you'd probably have more fun as a traprat... if you enjoyed a bowazon in LoD, you'l want to play a crossbow necro in Median XL. If you liked the hammerdin in LoD, you'd like the Hammerzon in Median XL. From my personal experience, (to the OP) which is limited, the most viable build, starting entirely fresh with no gear/friends to help you out, is the Traprat Druid. I've tried every class except Assassin, and walked through the game with each, and trprat was the easiest.

Your comparisons are lacking except for hammerzon because it’s indeed very similar. The thing is that every class has every playstyle in mxl so if you want to play a caster, there‘s Druid, assa, necro, sorc, Amazon, and pala. You can even make a caster barb with oskills.

That the balance is completely off is not news. Look at sigma as a beta. There were so many changes to items and other things that it‘s simply impossible to perfectly balance every build.

And trap rat being the easiest? Really? It‘s good for newbies because the skills give you everything you need, making your itemization not as important. But every experienced player will avoid trap rat because you can easily make nearly every build faster than trap rat.