Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Hi.

I have been a silent (pretty much) watchful eye of Median since 2008 and have never seen community growth like this. Tens of newbie questions every day and seems like people can't think without guides... "is this ring good for this build??" "No, get this!"

-> And of course often those builds recommend high quality gear which cost TG and real money for some through donation.

So now that I watch donation/patreon list it leads me to my main question: Is this kind of thing really legal? I know you work for free and server costs etc. but it's still Blizzard game?

I remember Laz having some problems about that, aren't you guys worried now that you got this huge attention?
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Doubt it. We all know how easy Blizzard shot down the classic WoW servers. And now we all know why: because Of Blizzard‘s Classic WoW remaster coming soon.

So they could easily trouble the median team. But I think they won‘t until they officially announce a D2 remaster. As long as there‘s no cash loss for Blizz they don‘t care.

Also don‘t forget that Marco once Said they‘re collaborating with Blizzard and as of now we haven‘t seen anything that Blizzard could‘ve provided for Median. So maybe they pay a monthly fee to Blizzrd so they can continue their work? Who knows?
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
it could be that if all the money are transfered as "donations" , not as a payment for something , it's all fine .
plts88
Acid Prince
49 | 2
ChuckNoRis wrote:it could be that if all the money are transfered as "donations" , not as a payment for something , it's all fine .

Just like you are allowed to bribe a police officer, as long as you give the money as a donation.
Celladoor
Rust Claw
85 | 0
Jampula wrote:Hi.

I have been a silent (pretty much) watchful eye of Median since 2008 and have never seen community growth like this. Tens of newbie questions every day and seems like people can't think without guides... "is this ring good for this build??" "No, get this!"

-> And of course often those builds recommend high quality gear which cost TG and real money for some through donation.

So now that I watch donation/patreon list it leads me to my main question: Is this kind of thing really legal? I know you work for free and server costs etc. but it's still Blizzard game?

I remember Laz having some problems about that, aren't you guys worried now that you got this huge attention?

This game is HARD at endgame if u have subpar gear. And respecs are limited. People want to get to endgame so they dont wanna make mistakes thus they ask for advice.

And it is not true that u have to spend real $ or even participate in the TG forum trade market to get gear. I have a 126xbow nec(LastCharacter on tsw) and I have only a few slots now to fill with BIS gear.

Also, with how oskills work synergistically with other class skills it can get very confusing to someone new to median. It certainly is for me. I personally rolled a sorc(108), a bowazon (122), a barb(122) and a wolf dru(108) before I rolled my necro. The build seemed good.

Anyway... you dont ever have to spend a rl $ to get endgame gear in this game. All u have to do is play and be nice. Have a personality too. Sometimes people will just give u stuff bc u made them laugh. These “items” are at the end of the day absolutely worthless(but most things in life are) and theyre just 1’s and 0’s. Heck, I traded a dude that good SU pally helm last night(the blackguard one) just because ill never use it, he needed it, he is a fellow human trying to have fun in a game, I want people to play and have fun bc then that increases my fun when other people are having fun.

Yeah
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
HechtHeftig wrote:Also don‘t forget that Marco once Said they‘re collaborating with Blizzard and as of now we haven‘t seen anything that Blizzard could‘ve provided for Median. So maybe they pay a monthly fee to Blizzrd so they can continue their work? Who knows?

I don't remember that.

ChuckNoRis wrote:it could be that if all the money are transfered as "donations" , not as a payment for something , it's all fine .

Right, but I think that line has crossed to payment.

Celladoor wrote:This game is HARD at endgame if u have subpar gear. And respecs are limited. People want to get to endgame so they dont wanna make mistakes thus they ask for advice.

And it is not true that u have to spend real $ or even participate in the TG forum trade market to get gear. I have a 126xbow nec(LastCharacter on tsw) and I have only a few slots now to fill with BIS gear.

Also, with how oskills work synergistically with other class skills it can get very confusing to someone new to median. It certainly is for me. I personally rolled a sorc(108), a bowazon (122), a barb(122) and a wolf dru(108) before I rolled my necro. The build seemed good.

Anyway... you dont ever have to spend a rl $ to get endgame gear in this game. All u have to do is play and be nice. Have a personality too. Sometimes people will just give u stuff bc u made them laugh. These “items” are at the end of the day absolutely worthless(but most things in life are) and theyre just 1’s and 0’s. Heck, I traded a dude that good SU pally helm last night(the blackguard one) just because ill never use it, he needed it, he is a fellow human trying to have fun in a game, I want people to play and have fun bc then that increases my fun when other people are having fun.

Yeah

You didn't get the point of topic.
plts88
Acid Prince
49 | 2
How about the main question Celladoor? :D

About the legality of transactions:
Anyone could create an imaginary currency and then start selling it - just like this forum is doing.
The TG system does not work through Diablo 2 (read: can't be connected to D2/MXL), and should not cause any legal issues.

Hosting private servers is a different thing.
Edited by plts88 5 years.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
plts88 wrote:(read: can't be connected to D2)

This IS D2. Just modified.

Any profits no matter how small is off from them. Of course I know that Blizzard is huge company with I don't know how much currency and we are talking about a mod with small team.

I was just wondering how the system works.
plts88
Acid Prince
49 | 2
Edited my post. With D2 I meant their product, which is the same thing as D2 with Median XL -mod. TG System is completely separate.

The point being: you can buy tradegold on this forum, and use it for any game.
Demonlord
Cog
201 | 2
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
The "Donations" is exactly how they can "Legally" procure funds from this game. If they say outright Sold TG as in Listed XXXTG for $XXX THEN there would be issues.

Plenty of shit thrive off Donations alone. Donations is also quite fair in that people dont feel obligated so the product has to be good enough to make people want to give. If its good you make money if it sucks oh well get a real job.

I put a couple hundred hours in already and its fun and theres obviously been a lot of work put into this. I Donated not for TG but, because i enjoyed it and felt the guys who did it deserved it. And as a bonus i could buy something for my build. This mod has been around for a long ass time and i dont think its going anywhere. And the amount of work these guys have put in over the years especially with this last big update im quite sure those guys wouldn't be putting in all this labor and effort into something that would be yanked out from in under them by Blizz at any given second.