Barbs are objectively the best class

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
tranvanhieu wrote:Ok, so a build that can kill the end-game boss in the shortest time is the most op char? I don't think so.

The only reason people bitching about: Barb has the most effective way to build weapon damage (Lion Stance), and the best Lighning conversion damage, multihit (StormBlast), combine with Lighning Pierce >> bosses down

Others things about Barb is not OP at all, IMO (well may be except thunder slam)

Maybe we should remove/ nerf heavily any damage-conversion skills in the game?

Not to mention the 30k hp, the incredible itemization choices (I.e. most of their skills aren’t item dependent so they have so many more options than other classes), and so much more.
dongflexer
Bone Archer
77 | 8
Primarch wrote: relegating a grand total of 3 comments to “echo-chamber” status

No, the forum is littered with barb shitposting and complaining and has been for the past weeks. Seems kind of silly to assume I would refer to 3 comments as an "echo chamber". You should know better.

Primarch wrote: barb imbalance has been recurring for several seasons

And has been tested and balanced every single patch since his big buff 4-5 seasons ago. Balancing can't be an easy process. Sometimes you swing and you miss. Maybe you're just salty that you can't clear endgame content with your Amazon waifu, in which case, git gud.
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
dongflexer wrote:
Primarch wrote: relegating a grand total of 3 comments to “echo-chamber” status

No, the forum is littered with barb shitposting and complaining and has been for the past weeks. Seems kind of silly to assume I would refer to 3 comments as an "echo chamber". You should know better.

Primarch wrote: barb imbalance has been recurring for several seasons

And has been tested and balanced every single patch since his big buff 4-5 seasons ago. Balancing can't be an easy process. Sometimes you swing and you miss. Maybe you're just salty that you can't clear endgame content with your Amazon waifu, in which case, git gud.

Yes, I should have assumed “dongflexer” held a more robust and objective viewpoint on the matter.

I won’t pretend I know how lengthy that process is but the disparity between barbs and classes like The Amazon are pretty blatant.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Primarch wrote:I won’t pretend I know how lengthy that process is but the disparity between barbs and classes like The Amazon are pretty blatant.

Based on...
a) the 15s samael kill which I've debunked on my post but still want to ignore?
or
b) fact that aerial, most recognized guidemaker, posted a budget barb guide on day 1?

Ironically Amazon is the second most played class this ladder BTW. Which according to this topic's comments, is a valid argument to proportionally measure class viability.
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Marco wrote:
Primarch wrote:I won’t pretend I know how lengthy that process is but the disparity between barbs and classes like The Amazon are pretty blatant.

Based on...
or
b) fact that aerial, most recognized guidemaker, posted a budget barb guide on day 1?

Ironically Amazon is the second most played class this ladder BTW. Which according to this topic's comments, is a valid argument to proportionally measure class viability.

I’ve played a barb to 135 and a a zon to 140. I’ve tested mid and endgame gear and there’s an objective winner. Bowazon competes for clear speed in Dunc and a few other farming zones but iron spiral is even more powerful and won’t get instagibbed in Fauzt. Single target, Amazons have nothing that comes close to stormblast/Ancient’s hand.

I imagine zons being played regularly would most likely be reliant on the piqued interest in some of the new Hammer-friendly items and the fleeting hope that those items might make Zarae a top contender.

That isn’t to say Zarae isn’t strong in some farming categories but it’s high damage is still dished out relatively slow so the farming potential is hindered and it requires a tough FCR breakpoint that seems to clash with the WDM makeup of the build. Also, magnetic field is good for single target but you end up getting raped long before you can build up stacks on any of the lategame UBER’s so you’re forced to reroll to Bowazon.

I’ve played Median a long time off and on and I’ve simply noticed this trend in recent years and figured I’d mention it. It’s not because of some Samael video, it’s not even because of that TU6 all UBER guide last season, it’s just my personal (and I think fair) appraisal. Even purify bosses are easier due to fortress spam (Uldyssian).

I honestly wouldn’t even be complaining right now about barbs being OP if zons has anywhere near the survivability. It seems as though every single zon build is either underpowered, lacks versatility, or simply gets annihilated in any zone past 125.

Replace fire elemental with a dodge passive (which makes more sense in every conceivable way) and I’ll stfu forever.
Edited by Primarch 5 years.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Marco wrote:

Based on...
or

Just woke up, so please note that I didn‘t read any of those posts here in the thread aside from your other post about the samael video:

Honestly, I doubt it‘s just about this video. Barb has been OP for multiple patches and if you just look at the statistics on tsw, more and more people play barb each season. According to your own argument that‘s a proportional measurement for class viability. And when 24% of all played classes are barbs, that‘s ridiculous.

As for Amazon: most of them are stormzons and bloodzons if you look at tsw statistics again.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Primarch wrote:I’ve played a barb to 135 and a a zon to 140. I’ve tested mid and endgame gear and there’s an objective winner. Bowazon competes for clear speed in Dunc and a few other farming zones but iron spiral is even more powerful and won’t get instagibbed in Fauzt. Single target, Amazons have nothing that comes close to stormblast/Ancient’s hand.

Again, I won't deny things such as barb not being a strong class or the best. I've not been very involved in the major rebalance that was done to the class, so I don't have a personal bias, and I've mostly been critical of it whenever things seemed off. I'm only debating the intention of the current balance and some questionable evidence provided to make certain claims.

The reason for explaining the samael video is because multiple things apply to the entire content and balance to the class, on all levels. This is not a minor thing. Some of the bugs/oversights I mention include Lion stance damage bonus, free boss-ITD on gloves, cheap broken items like Candlelwake. These last two greatly reward str specs, hence why xbow is so broken too, and why amazons which are dex based can suffer stacking high amounts of damage when compared. And let's also not forget Stormblast which was bugged for a considerable time. Each missile was lasting for over 6 minutes instead of a couple frames.

All this said, it doesn't come off as a surprise that barb could advance through the game at a much faster pace, and snowball really hard into the endgame/economy. Any class feedback is welcomed in respective topic, it just doesn't always need to be prefaced and compared with broken barb, and further backed up with ladder stats.

HechtHeftig wrote:Honestly, I doubt it‘s just about this video. Barb has been OP for multiple patches and if you just look at the statistics on tsw, more and more people play barb each season. According to your own argument that‘s a proportional measurement for class viability. And when 24% of all played classes are barbs, that‘s ridiculous.

As for Amazon: most of them are stormzons and bloodzons if you look at tsw statistics again.

I didn't make that argument, in fact I clearly did the opposite one. Ladder statistics are majorly anecdotal especially in this season where pretty much the guide center was reset. All it takes is a little bit of understanding and attention to see how the guides, who did them, and when, dictated most of the ladder results. You see the same reflection in the TG center, you can use the new PC feature to see raises in specific items after a major guide was out and compare the dates.

I won't deny the possibility of certain degree of accuracy when it comes to ladder stats. After all, more viable builds are more likely to get popular guides and people like following the trends. I'm only pointing out that it does a poor representation of proportions when it comes to builds, because guides exist. I can provide multiple examples of builds I've seen work or played myself which have zero representation. This includes builds such as Mana Sorc, Wolf Druid, Tree Druid, all which are less than 16%. It just becomes more obvious if you see 66% melee vs 12% mana sorc, and make your guess which one has a guide.

Guides promoting builds also mean a lot more playtime is put in them and more things and combinations are discovered and discussed. A lot of the underrepresented builds could use some time until they pop, and some certainly need to be improved, there's no question about that. If you check assassins there is a very low amount and it's not a surprise considering it went guide-less for a month. She needs hp buffs, but it's not nearly as bad as some people often put her. Against an ideally-balanced barb, assassin should have a much rougher start but a payoff in the late endgame quests. She does a great job as far as the 125-130 quests go. My other main this season was druid, the second least played class. At least for wolf & tree, which are at a lousy 15%, I can vouch for them being good and having a place in endgame farming.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Yeah I just read your comment again after preparing for work and noticed the same, but it‘s too late to delete my comment now.
Scalewinged
Cow Ninja
1293 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Without keeping in mind that meta Sam-kill, barb is still most viable option. He simply don't need to sacrifice any part of build capabilities while others forced to do so.

What i mean is he can have at SAME time: high hp from AB % increase, high def from Spirit guide, highest tri-elemental damage in mod from Nephalem (no matter what build: ANY barb using full str, dex and/or vita so he will get skyrocket damage buff anyway), may have also impossibly high EWD and even magic damage component which is simply not comparable with any other chars in mod (well... maybe very few like bow dru, spear ama, hole melee pal..) from Lion stance with easy avoidable damage reducion penality.

Other classes can reach that values but they always sacrificing something in exchange. Think Neph spirit and Lion (well... idk how it's bugged but still) need some more penalities for so high bonuses they're providing.
Like rounding all (summ of current str, dex and vita percentage) Neph spirit damage bonuses around Energy (ye i know it's unusual but at other point you will need to choose: putting some points in almost useless NRG for getting high elemental damages or keep your points in vita/dex/str for more phys damage and/or life... and still it's smth "lore-friendly": energy providing elemental damages :mweed: )
As for Lion... I'm still think damage reduction penalty need to be at least doubled, it will make players think twice:
- Get Lion with high EWD/Magic damage and look much better for ways to negate it's DR penalty (not just pair of items with 10% DR is good but for more... And we still have
Bear Grin
Bear Grin
Horned Helm (Sacred)

Defense: (2175 - 2633) to (2346 - 2840)
(Barbarian Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength: 500
Item Level: 105
Lion Stance Does not Reduce Your Physical Resistance
+60 Attack Rating per Character Level Above 105
1% Chance to cast level 10 Snake Bite on Striking
+(90 to 130)% Enhanced Defense
(1 to 15)% to Strength
Elemental Resists -15%
(1 to 20)% Magic Find
Socketed (4)
that will shine even more at this point)
- Get another stance for better defense and think more about how to raise offensive stats in other ways.
antonius
Azure Drake
165 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I think it is correct to have a stronger and easier class to build, there are people in the world like me who want to play but at the same time I don't have all this time to waste looking for secular objects to go or spend hours on statistics to understand which is the problem that does not keep you going. For those who have the most desire to slam there are the most difficult builds, while for those who have little time to spare there is the Barbarone that will take all the trouble from you :)