Right way to build Throw Assassin?

Discuss Median XL!
Ntf1015
Gravedigger
183 | 0
I didn't see if someone posted this or not, but what would be considered a decent setup as far as early game gear and skills go? Thanks in advance!
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
For skills I'd get ways, wots could be skipped as you multihit so much, so only wotp. Perfect being maxed, 8 points maelstorm (to lower mana cost), max doom. Don't go broadside because it is weak early with low missile count and long cooldown. I'd put few points in shadow refugee for more damage reduction and few points in QOB to get more blades per volley, at least 3-4.
Later you get max prismatic cloak and either grab and max wotg, or 1 beacon. Wotg is really weak so thats expensive 15ish points you dump to get 1k avg lightning damage, sucks.

For early gear some random rw/tu, until Lo runeword for infinite mana.
Other notable slots, TU totem shield is good.
Chest to save yourself crystals, use griswold chest, it is free.
Belt could be light belt tu, lionpaw boots, kali gloves or featherclaw, doesn't really matter much. You wanna swap to dex crafts in leather armors as fast as possible, and try to grab whatever crafts you get, juice that 1 abandoned shrine to make almost all gear, first one that drops, bless it all. All slots can be dex crafts, except obviously a weapon. Goal is to hit max block asap, while farming some signets.
youtube.com/ae1337
PlayerOne
Abomination
155 | 8
aerial wrote:I'm pretty far with progression of my sin.
For weapons I went: Random rw -> Lo runeword -> Lo runeword in sacred knife -> tracker set knife -> Lo Xis in eth sacred knife

Thanks I'll look out for Lo (best found so far is Fal). I see you've tried a few different skill setups. Are you just experimenting to find the best setup?

I think you switched out of Doom and Broadside, now you got Way of the Spider maxed and 5pts in... Hades Gate? (Needs a naginata).
And 16 in Maelstrom (was 8 before to lose the cd). At level 132 I'm wondering why wots is good when it wasn't before (unless it's just an experiment)?
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
That last change was just experimenting, aoe hades gate, and get kills with maelstrm. That isn't true throw build, I was just messing around.
Doesn't work that well btw, ways are weak to kill necrobots, would need poison pierce for wots.

I think final throw build would be put more into maelstorm and 1pt beacon instead of wotg. Points into maelstorm will add more damage than maxed wotg.
youtube.com/ae1337
matdoo
Cog
239 | 29
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
PlayerOne wrote:
matdoo wrote:
coachleech wrote:I'm having hard time with mana since hell, i'm almost 110 with 20% mana leech + 200 on hit but i'm emply in like 4s

I just hit 117 and have no issue with mana sustain atm.
I used
Void
Void
Weapons

'Sur'
Runeword Level: 75
Adds 7-13 Damage
+(58 to 72)% Enhanced Damage
Slow Target 20%
Regenerate Mana +15%
Cold Resist +40%
Physical Damage Reduced by (11 to 15)
+(3 to 5) Mana on Striking
2% Reanimate as: Random Monster
til around 105, then switched to
Piranha Swarm
Piranha Swarm
Flying Knife (Sacred)

Throw Damage: 59 to 61
One-Hand Damage: 38 to 39
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 473
Item Level: 120
Dexterity Damage Bonus: (0.11 per Dexterity)%
Scorpion Blade: Always Explodes, Max Range -25%
+(4 to 7) to Assassin Skill Levels
+99% to Poison Spell Damage
Regenerate Mana +50%
Maximum Elemental Resists +2%
+150 Life after each Kill
50% Magic Find
Socketed (2)
with bunch of leech crafted jewels.
I got 40% mana leech and have no mana sustain problem even for ubers. And I heard Mana on hit is only works with melee skills.
Get more leech jewels and use that knife for pure phys proc. It worked very well at least for me :)

Mind if I ask what gear you used before Piranha Swarm? This char seems to want to boost dex for Maelstrom, but then most ppl seem to max Broadside as well which needs different stats. None of the TU throwing knives seem good for this build.

I got to level 65 Act 2 NM and it takes about a minute to kill the big ugly poison things that drop lots of gold in the Dry Hills. But I've been really unlucky in drops - only one rare throwing knife dropped and nothing else useful, so if I need to go farm crystals to make TUs I kinda need to know what I should be making :?

Thanks in advance.

Like aerial said, I used
Void
Void
Weapons

'Sur'
Runeword Level: 75
Adds 7-13 Damage
+(58 to 72)% Enhanced Damage
Slow Target 20%
Regenerate Mana +15%
Cold Resist +40%
Physical Damage Reduced by (11 to 15)
+(3 to 5) Mana on Striking
2% Reanimate as: Random Monster
(random base to sacred one) till I got
Piranha Swarm
Piranha Swarm
Flying Knife (Sacred)

Throw Damage: 59 to 61
One-Hand Damage: 38 to 39
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 473
Item Level: 120
Dexterity Damage Bonus: (0.11 per Dexterity)%
Scorpion Blade: Always Explodes, Max Range -25%
+(4 to 7) to Assassin Skill Levels
+99% to Poison Spell Damage
Regenerate Mana +50%
Maximum Elemental Resists +2%
+150 Life after each Kill
50% Magic Find
Socketed (2)
And other gear was just dex/leech focused TUs, and didn't take a minute to kill the big ugly poison things.
I'm still new this game so you can leach 120 smoothly as I did :D

And what I want to say is, get enough Sigs asap when you arrive at a5 Nih in Hell.
I really hated to farm sigs, so sitting at just 130 stacks, and my 121 character is real glass now..
I have 5k life with 38% block chance, which is really low I guess, 120 zones are all night mare to me :/
Dunno what to do now except for get more sig.. I've hit a wall
coachleech
Skeleton
2 | 0
Lo runeword = infinite mana

That rw changed my life

any thought on Life leech vs life on hit ?
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
Life leech will not do much because malestorm is 90% convertion to magic. It does somehting when you have knife procs on weapon (but not with Lo rw) then these procs heal you because they are physical damage that can leech.
Life on hit doesn't work with throw skills.
Life on striking does work.

Piranha swarm imo isn't that good. As I said before, knife procs are weak compared to maelstorm (they don't get bonus magic damage), ways suck and pierce for them is not that relevant, and finally 1 life on striking is low.
But most important problem is: any weapon no matter what stats is usless if you run OOM so quick. Yea proc weapons with mana leech can sustain vs crowd, but as soon as you run into for example boss in rift, you run oom. Void is really superior to other gear options.
youtube.com/ae1337
Ntf1015
Gravedigger
183 | 0
Void runeword changed my leveling experience. It's amazing. I went with the gear suggestions you gave aerial and my throwsin is doing awesome. Kinda hit a bump in survivability at act 5 nightmare, but I'm sure I'll manage... Damage is still there.
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Ntf1015 wrote:Void runeword changed my leveling experience. It's amazing. I went with the gear suggestions you gave aerial and my throwsin is doing awesome. Kinda hit a bump in survivability at act 5 nightmare, but I'm sure I'll manage... Damage is still there.

You aren't supposed to be a tank in any sense of the word. Don't get hit.
Enfoz
Skeleton
3 | 0
As soon as you can get an assassin class shield and craft it, aim for skills and block if you cant get dex. When I switched over to DeX craft items I jumped from 16% block to 44% right now, with like 30 digs eaten. It made a huge difference in surviving. I also like to blink to gain distance, and 1 point beacon for runspeed.
I have 1 point in vampiric icon and placement with bosses has helped on some Uber's. It's still a garbage skill and needs to either be filled with fire in the center or be like an aoe ring that shoots out, my opinions.
Only 115 I havent done is bartuc yet, everything else done and farmed for good or perfect rolls.