Right way to build Throw Assassin?

Discuss Median XL!
User avatar
dongflexer
Pit Knight
102 | 7
My 2¢:

With
Void (Xis)

Void
Weapons

'LoXis'
Runeword Level: 120
+(202 to 230)% Enhanced Damage
Adds 63-88 damage
Slow Target 40%
Cold Resist +(100 to 208)%
Lightning Resist +30%
Physical Damage Reduced by (101 to 150)
+(16 to 40) Mana on Striking
3% Reanimate as: Banshee
Cannot be Unsocketed
,
Rebel (Xis)
Rebel
Body Armor

'ElXis'
Runeword Level: 120
Enhanced Weapon Damage +200%
+(202 to 230)% Enhanced Defense
+250 to Strength
+250 to Dexterity
-75 to Vitality
-75 to Energy
Elemental Resists +(60 to 80)%
+1 to Light Radius
Cannot be Unsocketed
,
Hexward
Hexward
Totem Shield (Sacred)

(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 527
Defense: (1668-2085) to (1932-2415)
Chance to Block: 4%
+50% Bonus Magic Damage to Maelstrom MkI
2% Chance to cast level 1 Knife Throw on Striking
Adds (20 to 40)-(60 to 100) damage
(15 to 20)% Life stolen per Hit
+(140 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
(20 to 30)% to Dexterity
Physical Resist 5%
20% Curse Length Reduction
Socketed (6)

,
Royal Circlet
Royal Circlet
Tiara (Sacred)

Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 392
Defense: (1740-1957) to (1968-2214)
+2 to All Skills
+150% Damage to Demons
+150% Damage to Undead
+(140 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
(21 to 25)% to All Attributes
Elemental Resists +(25 to 30)%
Physical Resist 5%
(21 to 25)% Magic Find
Socketed (4)

,
Wind Runner

Wind Runner
Boots

'EaEaEaEa'
Runeword Level: 100
+(0 to 1) to All Skills
35% Attack Speed
10% Movement Speed
Adds 37-70 damage
250% Bonus to Attack Rating
(10 to 15)% Life stolen per Hit
+(171 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
and max runspeed with beacon, maelstrom assassin is one of the fastest and safest duncraig farmers I've used. Its ridiculously easy to hit max block with cheap gear and at <6k dex, everything gets melted in a single right click. Also, farming for the trophy is very easy because assur deals laughable damage through prismatic cloak and 80% res.

Fautz is not really fun to run due to the volume of enemies and attacks coming from all directions, you're constantly in hitstun. Hardliners are a pain to deal with due to their magic absorb.

I still haven't been able to get the bremmtown upgrade, even if you try to bait packs with edyrems and take it super slow. Sometimes a pack will just decide to gangbang you and if you can't manage to get a broadside off to tank through their damage you're fucked, even with shadow refuge. What sin spec would be best for bremmtown?
vico_
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
Ntf1015 wrote:I might be doing something wrong, but my maelstrom assassin is struggling in torajan jungle at 110. I have void rw in sacred balance knife. abandon craft/blessed leather armor, boots, leather gloves and sash, and hexward shield. I feel my dex is horribly low due to needing the increased strength for the crafts. Its roughly sitting at around 1250. What should I do at this point? My skill build is 8 points maelstrom, maxed perfect being, wotp, doom, prismatic cload, 1 point in beacon, and a few points in blink, queen of blades, and shadow refuge. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!


1. farm the signets ( 400extra dex is like 1k-1,5k dex with thiefling, depends on your extra dex%)
2. drop ways, max thiefling form
3. if u maelstorm spec, max maelstorm (magic dam is based on your total dex, so makes no sense not to max it)
4. post notarmory or charname
Waffle1209
Acid Prince
46 | 2
Ntf1015 wrote:I might be doing something wrong, but my maelstrom assassin is struggling in torajan jungle at 110. I have void rw in sacred balance knife. abandon craft/blessed leather armor, boots, leather gloves and sash, and hexward shield. I feel my dex is horribly low due to needing the increased strength for the crafts. Its roughly sitting at around 1250. What should I do at this point? My skill build is 8 points maelstrom, maxed perfect being, wotp, doom, prismatic cload, 1 point in beacon, and a few points in blink, queen of blades, and shadow refuge. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!


That was/is probably the toughest period for the build. You need base strength to equip the crafts and a lot of it doesn't come until you get some charms. I took the lowest bases I could and rolled until I got good dex/dex% rolls then blessed. I was lucky and got an armor piece that rolled +40 to strength which helped a little bit. I also used a crafted circlet on my helm slot so I could get some strength from that. At that point I also MOed everything with +dex then FHR or FBR as needed for the caps. Make sure you socket everything with pamethyst or Io runes. Hexward is nice but I used a +4 skills and +1% CtB assassin shield I crafted until later on when my dex was higher.

If you are struggling for charms PM me and I can help you out.
PlayerOne
Abomination
153 | 7
aerial wrote:I personally didn't see enough difference between LoXis and other su weapons, to make a difference, can as well just go with infinite mana, 40% slow and 3% reanimate. Remember than vs trash all that slow works, bosses are capped @ 25%, but trash can be slowed past that point, even to like 90% I think.

Same reason why it is so good load merc with slow gear, If you give merc 40% slow weapon, add that 10% slow belt (endless loop), krys gloves for 30 more, that is already 80%. Then item like razorspine chest slows everythig around via spikenova procs. They are slowed really hard, it makes enormous difference for squishy builds. Not that blocksin needs it, but in general it is useful. Slow is extremely strong.

I have been using a Shapeshifter merc so I'm wondering if I should change. I assume (pls correct if I'm wrong) that it will only hit 1 target at a time so it will only slow 1 target - it's there to tank and cc so I have focused on trying to keep it alive when surrounded and being shot at by 1000s of things.


I guess the best to spread slow would be an amazon or abjurer? But they don't really do any tanking :(

Can I ask what merc/gear you're using? And (if using a ranged merc) how you get through stuff like K3KBA, nihlathak runs? I have only 4k life and 22% block (almost level 118) so I can't take many hits.
User avatar
aerial
Horadric Mage
1002 | 200
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Slows target can be only spread via weapon damage, so no, abjurer is a caster wouldn't slow a thing.
Shapeshifter can spread aoe, tornadoes slow, his pounce nova too, as long as you have slows target on gear.
Barb merc is another one with good aoe, thunderslam always hits and can spread slow.
Problem with that is cooldown though, it could be affected same was as barb tslam was nerfed.
Thats why razorzpine su chest is so good, any wdm merc spams so many spikenovas, ensures everything gets slowed.
I wasn't using merc, didn't bother. But if I did, I'd get barb merc with razorspine and grandfather.

I could be wrong about slow cap vs trash, I'm not sure what current value is. Could be as low as 50%, its pretty hard to test.
youtube.com/ae1337
PlayerOne
Abomination
153 | 7
Many thanks, I'll definitely get razorspine and I'll have to think about changing merc. With barb being nerfed (less str) and Shapeshifter getting the thorns aura back I thought it would be a better merc but I was mixing up thorns and might. :(

Also when I had a barb merc before on xbow nec, the tslam never seemed to activate often so I think you're right that a frequent proc would be better.

Good to know that slow is only spread via wdm, didn't know that. :shock
Beejay327
Vampiress
38 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I read all this and still have a bit of a question when is comes to armor and making the Rebel Runeword. Is it ideal to work with sacred body armors like superior quilted sacred at 460 STR or, if using Tiefling Form, just get a regular base as save on STR as your defense would be 0 anyways?

Thanks!
PlayerOne
Abomination
153 | 7
My understanding (I'm no expert)...

I would not expect to use sacred when using Tiefling form - as you say, def = 0.

There are two lines of build discussion in the last few pages of the thread:

1. Aerial's build you can see online (type: /skills aerial). This does not use TF so he progresses from TUs to crafting sacred leather armours to better armours when there's enough charms to boost strength.

2. Another suggestion was to use TF. This doesn't need def, as you said, so the lowest str armours that give max sockets is what I'd expect to use.

I tried the TF approach and it's really squishy. This is (I believe) because I have quite low dex at level 118 so only about 22% block, when I have more I can probably do with less defence and think about using TF (but that's just a guess at the moment).

Hope this helps - as I say, I'm no expert, I'm sure others will say if any of this is wrong.
Beejay327
Vampiress
38 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
PlayerOne wrote:My understanding (I'm no expert)...

I would not expect to use sacred when using Tiefling form - as you say, def = 0.

There are two lines of build discussion in the last few pages of the thread:

1. Aerial's build you can see online (type: /skills aerial). This does not use TF so he progresses from TUs to crafting sacred leather armours to better armours when there's enough charms to boost strength.

2. Another suggestion was to use TF. This doesn't need def, as you said, so the lowest str armours that give max sockets is what I'd expect to use.

I tried the TF approach and it's really squishy. This is (I believe) because I have quite low dex at level 118 so only about 22% block, when I have more I can probably do with less defence and think about using TF (but that's just a guess at the moment).

Hope this helps - as I say, I'm no expert, I'm sure others will say if any of this is wrong.


Okay, that helps. I really appreciate you spelling out. I'm 121 with max block using TF, I'd love to get my dex to a point where I don't need TF.
User avatar
NotCube
Thunder Beetle
57 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
dongflexer wrote:My 2¢:

With
Void (Xis)

Void
Weapons

'LoXis'
Runeword Level: 120
+(202 to 230)% Enhanced Damage
Adds 63-88 damage
Slow Target 40%
Cold Resist +(100 to 208)%
Lightning Resist +30%
Physical Damage Reduced by (101 to 150)
+(16 to 40) Mana on Striking
3% Reanimate as: Banshee
Cannot be Unsocketed
,
Rebel (Xis)
Rebel
Body Armor

'ElXis'
Runeword Level: 120
Enhanced Weapon Damage +200%
+(202 to 230)% Enhanced Defense
+250 to Strength
+250 to Dexterity
-75 to Vitality
-75 to Energy
Elemental Resists +(60 to 80)%
+1 to Light Radius
Cannot be Unsocketed
,
Hexward
Hexward
Totem Shield (Sacred)

(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 527
Defense: (1668-2085) to (1932-2415)
Chance to Block: 4%
+50% Bonus Magic Damage to Maelstrom MkI
2% Chance to cast level 1 Knife Throw on Striking
Adds (20 to 40)-(60 to 100) damage
(15 to 20)% Life stolen per Hit
+(140 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
(20 to 30)% to Dexterity
Physical Resist 5%
20% Curse Length Reduction
Socketed (6)

,
Royal Circlet
Royal Circlet
Tiara (Sacred)

Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 392
Defense: (1740-1957) to (1968-2214)
+2 to All Skills
+150% Damage to Demons
+150% Damage to Undead
+(140 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
(21 to 25)% to All Attributes
Elemental Resists +(25 to 30)%
Physical Resist 5%
(21 to 25)% Magic Find
Socketed (4)

,
Wind Runner

Wind Runner
Boots

'EaEaEaEa'
Runeword Level: 100
+(0 to 1) to All Skills
35% Attack Speed
10% Movement Speed
Adds 37-70 damage
250% Bonus to Attack Rating
(10 to 15)% Life stolen per Hit
+(171 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
and max runspeed with beacon, maelstrom assassin is one of the fastest and safest duncraig farmers I've used. Its ridiculously easy to hit max block with cheap gear and at <6k dex, everything gets melted in a single right click. Also, farming for the trophy is very easy because assur deals laughable damage through prismatic cloak and 80% res.

Fautz is not really fun to run due to the volume of enemies and attacks coming from all directions, you're constantly in hitstun. Hardliners are a pain to deal with due to their magic absorb.

I still haven't been able to get the bremmtown upgrade, even if you try to bait packs with edyrems and take it super slow. Sometimes a pack will just decide to gangbang you and if you can't manage to get a broadside off to tank through their damage you're fucked, even with shadow refuge. What sin spec would be best for bremmtown?


It's easier for clawsin, but throwsin can do it. Baiting with summons works, but you gotta take fast, short baby steps while summoning edyrems at the edge of the screen.