MFing in Nightmare???

Discuss Median XL!
egboy
Prowler
16 | 0
Im a melee necro following the semigloss build. is there anywhere worth farming in NM? Hell is extremely hard right now.
Engersion
Stone Warrior
32 | 3
Not really. Only meaningful things you'll find are yellow Sacred items and shrines used for crafting. What areas in Hell are you having problems with?
User avatar
theidleone
Bone Archer
72 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Maybe not MFing, but hunting for arcane crystals to upgrade your gear. Nihlathak usually drops a few uniques. I recommend farming him until you can get most of your gear to T4.
egboy
Prowler
16 | 0
Engersion wrote:Not really. Only meaningful things you'll find are yellow Sacred items and shrines used for crafting. What areas in Hell are you having problems with?

Ah ok. The build I’m following has a recommended gear up to lvl 105 I believe and I have it all up to T4 but I guess hell is still a bit much. I can kill Andy but I’ll die 5-10 times before killing. I can kill meph but I’ll die at least 15 times before killing.
egboy
Prowler
16 | 0
theidleone wrote:Maybe not MFing, but hunting for arcane crystals to upgrade your gear. Nihlathak usually drops a few uniques. I recommend farming him until you can get most of your gear to T4.

Yeah I’ve got the crystals thing down. My gear is at T4 now and I got a pretty solid abandoned sacred dagger but trying to find the next step in gearing is there anywhere in NM I can find sets?
Vvvxi
Dark Huntress
13 | 0
How are your resistances? They should be maxed. And do you have source of healing like life on attack or life steal? Melee necro should be able to clear hell with ease even with TU4 items only.
sumiyaka
Cultist
22 | 3
Hopefully not insulting your intelligence, but wanted to share my experiences at your point of "stuckness".

First char I made was kinda like this, but as I knew more about the game and adjusted a bit, now my 2nd and third chars fair much better in Hell. There is def a hurdle once you get there though. Bosses in particular become a game of a cat and mouse for some builds. Don't be afraid to back off, but Andy in particular likes to drop meteors so .... you have to dance with her. I'm not even afraid to jump in a portal anymore and just regen and blow potions, but I know with my melee sorc, I had the tendency to kinda try to let my leech do a bit more than my kit could handle and would get rolled a lot until...

Main thing that helped me on my chars was making sure I was hitting resists as high as possible even if I needed to shove perfect gems in what I thought were spots I needed to save for later and making sure I tried to work on my most important breakpoints. Hopefully you did your level challenges and got your class gems and pumped them up too. Nothing you are wearing in the first set of gear is going to be permanant and there's nothing that's completly irreplaceable, but you'll have to invest and dump your gems/runes into your kit and make sure you are following the advice on Mystic Orbs.. I overlooked all this stuff because in D2LOD you could /kinda/ wing it then you'd trade for a few pieces and be a monster, but this game has a slower buildup until you learn the ropes. Even if 5% str doesn't sound like a lot, do it anyway. You can easily flush gems out of TU's with a few gold, so don't be shy about cramming them full of anything and everything.

Also some classes/builds and guides in particular are usually written by people that have played it a bit to death. Look over the breakpoints and playstyle a bit and actually see if you can make it better for what you are shooting for. I did this with my throwsin and it actually made a difference. The guide (it was outdated to be fair) recommended a bunch of heavy armor, but I found light armor to give me more damage so while I'm a bit more glass cannon, it works much better than trying to turtle up with defense.

Also want to second self-healing. Wormtouge belt and crafting jewels that use Ber rune (for more leech) has been my jam for melee chars.
egboy
Prowler
16 | 0
Vvvxi wrote:How are your resistances? They should be maxed. And do you have source of healing like life on attack or life steal? Melee necro should be able to clear hell with ease even with TU4 items only.

Ah I guess my res is where I can improve. It’s definitely not maxed but it’s not in the negatives. Ya my life leech is pretty good right now. I forgot the armor name but I’m using the tiered unique for the hard leather armor base. It’s at tier 4.
egboy
Prowler
16 | 0
sumiyaka wrote:Hopefully not insulting your intelligence, but wanted to share my experiences at your point of "stuckness".

First char I made was kinda like this, but as I knew more about the game and adjusted a bit, now my 2nd and third chars fair much better in Hell. There is def a hurdle once you get there though. Bosses in particular become a game of a cat and mouse for some builds. Don't be afraid to back off, but Andy in particular likes to drop meteors so .... you have to dance with her. I'm not even afraid to jump in a portal anymore and just regen and blow potions, but I know with my melee sorc, I had the tendency to kinda try to let my leech do a bit more than my kit could handle and would get rolled a lot until...

Main thing that helped me on my chars was making sure I was hitting resists as high as possible even if I needed to shove perfect gems in what I thought were spots I needed to save for later and making sure I tried to work on my most important breakpoints. Hopefully you did your level challenges and got your class gems and pumped them up too. Nothing you are wearing in the first set of gear is going to be permanant and there's nothing that's completly irreplaceable, but you'll have to invest and dump your gems/runes into your kit and make sure you are following the advice on Mystic Orbs.. I overlooked all this stuff because in D2LOD you could /kinda/ wing it then you'd trade for a few pieces and be a monster, but this game has a slower buildup until you learn the ropes. Even if 5% str doesn't sound like a lot, do it anyway. You can easily flush gems out of TU's with a few gold, so don't be shy about cramming them full of anything and everything.

Also some classes/builds and guides in particular are usually written by people that have played it a bit to death. Look over the breakpoints and playstyle a bit and actually see if you can make it better for what you are shooting for. I did this with my throwsin and it actually made a difference. The guide (it was outdated to be fair) recommended a bunch of heavy armor, but I found light armor to give me more damage so while I'm a bit more glass cannon, it works much better than trying to turtle up with defense.

Also want to second self-healing. Wormtouge belt and crafting jewels that use Ber rune (for more leech) has been my jam for melee chars.

True. I guess I put too much into getting my attack rating that it compromised some of the other things like red and life leech. I’ll look into changing my gear. Right now If I remember correctly I’m at 40k AR idk if that’s too much and dial it down to maybe 20k and beef up my res and defense?
sumiyaka
Cultist
22 | 3
Yep 40k is prolly too much.

You can easily sort out attack rating by going and hitting on the biggest thing you can handle for a while, then check your stat page. Mouse over the attack rating and it will tell you the % to hit.

Example, my throwsin only has 7.1k AR and has a 92% chance to hit NM Baal. (she's on to hell now so maybe need more but we will see). Different for each class but I think my my melee sorc has less than 20k is still hitting over 85%? You def don't need 100% and I think its capped at 95 anyway.