Beginner players and TG

Discuss Median XL!
Marienbean
Fallen
1 | 2
Hello everyone, beginner here and i like the game so far. Good job devs!

I wanted to try out the trading on this ladder server, but it seems that most people are asking TG for stuff.
I understand TG is donation money and that is a quite good idea to keep the money flowing and i also know that i can earn TG myself by selling stuff or donating money.

But the people that already have a lot of TG can also use all these TG in ladder season, why is this?
Is ladder not meant to start anew? These people that have the most TG can progress the fastest, getting the best items faster then people that dont have much TG and get even more TG by trading all the good stuff early on.

I must say that i was quite let down to see that most of the trading involves TG and not the old school trading like SoJ's or something, and that ladder is not really starting from scratch with everyone else.

Just my honest opinion.
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Marienbean wrote:Hello everyone, beginner here and i like the game so far. Good job devs!

I wanted to try out the trading on this ladder server, but it seems that most people are asking TG for stuff.
I understand TG is donation money and that is a quite good idea to keep the money flowing and i also know that i can earn TG myself by selling stuff or donating money.

But the people that already have a lot of TG can also use all these TG in ladder season, why is this?
Is ladder not meant to start anew? These people that have the most TG can progress the fastest, getting the best items faster then people that dont have much TG and get even more TG by trading all the good stuff early on.

I must say that i was quite let down to see that most of the trading involves TG and not the old school trading like SoJ's or something, and that ladder is not really starting from scratch with everyone else.

Just my honest opinion.

Less people would donate if tg was wiped seasonly? It's the same way as other trading methods on vanilla like d2jsp.

Currency is much simpler to get what you want than useless and dupeable items.
Tkorpi
Djinn
520 | 39
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Also in early ladder sure you can buy stuff ahead but when something like witchuunter hood costs 400 tg its not very tempting even for rich players. There is not much stuff found that rly woukd get you ahead even if you had 1k tg
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
To add, TG is relatively pointless on day 1 of each season anyway b/c no one has anything to buy/sell at that point.

Typically, the players who have tons of TG are people playing for the specific purpose of acquiring tons of TG, not be top of the leader board. They learn/develop builds that can most efficiently farm specific areas (be it for SUs, Charms, or reagents), and farming/trading is all they do.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
i agree with original poster, but also acknowledge why tg exists. would be a better implementation in my opinion if tg from previous season could be locked for the first week or something.
Hrishi
Bone Archer
77 | 21
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
I agree with OP too, definitely feels like a fresh ladder has much less meaning when there's people with thousands of TG from previous ladder seasons ready to buy up all forms of rare drops for their respective builds.

I understand why it exists but I would much prefer something that makes the concept of a fresh ladder more meaningful.
alkire
Stone Warrior
30 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
i play single player so i dont care if i have tg or how fast i get the best items cuz i earn it , and 3 measley stash pages i know for a fact they reverse engineered plugy for this the stash file is even the same file type a stash file. but you know what after playing so much grim dawn and using external stashers for my items i prefer single player because the reason the devs didnt want plugy was because of item hoarders. they said i quote we dont think hoarding items is how diablo should be played. and flat out said they wont support plugy. well i say you already know how plugy works you could give single player 1000 pages and so im saying SINCE WHEN DID GAME DEVS DECIDE HOW WE THE PLAYER HAS TO PLAY MAN IM MAD SAME WITH PATH OF EXILE THEY DONT CARE WHAT WE WANT THEY CARE ABOUT HOW THEY INTEND TO REVOLUTIONISE GAMING> well let me let you in on a little secrete. more people use plugy then any private server and GOSH DARN HATE MULTIPLAYER WITH A PASSION CUZ IT DOESNT HAVE PLUGY!
Diaco
Void Archon
880 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
alkire wrote:i play single player so i dont care if i have tg or how fast i get the best items cuz i earn it , and 3 measley stash pages i know for a fact they reverse engineered plugy for this the stash file is even the same file type a stash file. but you know what after playing so much grim dawn and using external stashers for my items i prefer single player because the reason the devs didnt want plugy was because of item hoarders. they said i quote we dont think hoarding items is how diablo should be played. and flat out said they wont support plugy. well i say you already know how plugy works you could give single player 1000 pages and so im saying SINCE WHEN DID GAME DEVS DECIDE HOW WE THE PLAYER HAS TO PLAY MAN IM MAD SAME WITH PATH OF EXILE THEY DONT CARE WHAT WE WANT THEY CARE ABOUT HOW THEY INTEND TO REVOLUTIONISE GAMING> well let me let you in on a little secrete. more people use plugy then any private server and GOSH DARN HATE MULTIPLAYER WITH A PASSION CUZ IT DOESNT HAVE PLUGY!

Dude, just download the offline tools and you'll have an infinite stash
Lynderika
Grubber
315 | 160
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Actually, having tg on a season start won't help going faster at all. This is mostly because nobody will have or sell the items you want for quite some time, I often get quite high on ladder starts but still play essencially ssf until 140, very rarely spend more than 50 tg on the few first days, and make much more.

But now lab progression and ladder after the first few days will depend on tg a lot, and thoses hoarding all the umos will surely go faster. But it's very rare for theses player to end a season with negative gains anyway... So starting with 10k or 500 doesn't change much unless you wanna buy the first tyreal dropped of the season or do some big projects like that. But that's not needed to get far in the ladder, so your focus is misplaced.

Though starting with exactly 0 will make you slower, sure. You'll have to sell something before making auctions, etc. But there's no point in aiming to do a fast ladder and be the best if you're new to it, take your time and learn how it goes first.

Another thing, many, many players will be happy to trade with acs or sigs early season. Especially ACs.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1219 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Don't feed the trolls. This thread is 3 years old.

Thread locked.