Azure Drake
164 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I mean I agree here podcast is cool its something we could do id be down to be on it but honestly I dont stream anymore nor do I want to its something I did in poe when I raced but here on median I just wanna clickclick click and not have to talk to people as I am kinda a old fart and etc but ontopic here id think its a shot in the right direction but heres another problem is keeping people playing and keeping them hooked threw a hole league instead of playing hard for 2 3 weeks for that mad tg count then go to another game me I only play median and dont want to play another game sorry keep blabing but I'm for it more or less it will NOT hurt anything but really give people a better understanding on whats really going on whats fun wuts super hard to gear what sucks early game but excels late game and so on and so forth
TgTalcon
Pit Knight
108 | 27
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
supersage10 wrote:I mean I agree here podcast is cool its something we could do id be down to be on it but honestly I dont stream anymore nor do I want to its something I did in poe when I raced but here on median I just wanna clickclick click and not have to talk to people as I am kinda a old fart and etc but ontopic here id think its a shot in the right direction but heres another problem is keeping people playing and keeping them hooked threw a hole league instead of playing hard for 2 3 weeks for that mad tg count then go to another game me I only play median and dont want to play another game sorry keep blabing but I'm for it more or less it will NOT hurt anything but really give people a better understanding on whats really going on whats fun wuts super hard to gear what sucks early game but excels late game and so on and so forth

I'm not looking for people whom only stream to jump in, Anyone who has some information and knowledge about the game that wishes to be able to have an open discussion about the game in a much more fluid format, something that is easily archiveable, and easily accessible for devs, and players alike, I think this is the main goal. If you look at PoE for an example, as it's the Biggest ARPG on the market currently, There's plenty of podcasts, and plenty of streamers who do "What am I playing this league" "What are good league starters" etc, and those sorts of video's help a ton of players get into the game, to the point they feel comfortable experimenting on their own.

I think thats something Sigma lacks greatly. We don't have an easy access to the game, lots of players get in, get to like the 120 area, dunc starts destroying them, teganze is confusing for new players, quov, kabraxis, etc all stomp on new players. So most people end up quitting in the 120-125 spots, because they get overwhelmed by the jump from 115 zones to 120 zones as there's not really all that much information. For Quov everyone just says "Res and physical damage reduction" But this doesn't help a new player who doesn't know how to get those things. Or for Kabraxis, Magic res, Psn res, Stay at range, Kite around. This doesn't help someone as Magic res firstly is super hard to get, and what if they're playing a melee build? Melee builds can do Kabraxis, albeit not as easily as most ranged ones, but again, this sort of information isn't easy to find. My goal is to try to bring the community closer together, and have a centeralized location where people can tune in, on a weekend, or watch a VoD and so forth, to find what they need.

I'll definitely be looking forward to doing tier lists on builds, why I think X build is X tier, aka MMZon is god, because of survivability from either SoV, or Paragon, and the Blood tree passives. Has extremely high damage, has amazing aoe, and is a very simple character to scale as there's nothing super confusing about it, so most people can pick it up, and learn Press Buff, Go Ham, ???, Profit.

Anyway I love to rant and ramble, so there's also that. But yeah, if anyone at all is interested in being on the podcast, when it starts up, I don't really care the background of the player, could be a new player who'se played 1 ladder, could be someone like Ben, or even a Dev if they want to put their input on whatever. I just want to see median grow bigger and better, and honestly I think that's something everyone who plays the game would like, is to have it as good as it can be.
lazyknob
Balrog
126 | 6
I've made a post and deleted it at least 4 times because I didn't want to be a wet blanket.

I have my own bias against podcasts after experiencing a handful of them. The only podcast I thoroughly enjoyed was more of a full cast zombie story telling :flip: :flip: (https://www.werealive.com/listen/ it's free)

Podcasts tend to have 3 main sides. (edit: refering to a panel)
1) People who know their stuff.
2) People who use many words but don't actually say anything. (Secretly they just love the sound of their own voice)
3) That guy sitting there uncomfortably probably thinking about his groceries.

And then your voice. Or anyone's for that matter. Not everyone sounds great. Some audiobook narrators have made me wonder how far I'm able to push my finger into my ear.

And lastly which I feel is my most important question/point.

What is your real motivation for starting a podcast? Just to have a higher level discussion or to disseminate information?
If it's the former, go ahead and knock yourself out.
But if it's the latter...

When I play a new game, the first place I go to is the forums. Of course to my dismay much of it is dead except the trade section, short questions thread and a handful of guides. Even when I played other games, the last thing I ever checked was a podcast.

If you're looking for specific information, would you really want to drudge through an audio clip? A solid no.
Skimming through a guide (which we admittedly have a lack of) is more efficient/preferable. And the second best thing we've had recently was the Right way to build throw assassin thread. People threw in their insights and gear preferences (granted there's no quality control in opinions shared) but as a newbie, you can skim and take what you want.

To a certain extent, the short questions thread is more of a bane as it makes the forum seem more dead than it should, but it does keep the clutter away!
TgTalcon
Pit Knight
108 | 27
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
lazyknob wrote:I've made a post and deleted it at least 4 times because I didn't want to be a wet blanket.

I have my own bias against podcasts after experiencing a handful of them. The only podcast I thoroughly enjoyed was more of a full cast zombie story telling :flip: :flip: (https://www.werealive.com/listen/ it's free)

Podcasts tend to have 3 main sides. (edit: refering to a panel)
1) People who know their stuff.
2) People who use many words but don't actually say anything. (Secretly they just love the sound of their own voice)
3) That guy sitting there uncomfortably probably thinking about his groceries.

And then your voice. Or anyone's for that matter. Not everyone sounds great. Some audiobook narrators have made me wonder how far I'm able to push my finger into my ear.

And lastly which I feel is my most important question/point.

What is your real motivation for starting a podcast? Just to have a higher level discussion or to disseminate information?
If it's the former, go ahead and knock yourself out.
But if it's the latter...

When I play a new game, the first place I go to is the forums. Of course to my dismay much of it is dead except the trade section, short questions thread and a handful of guides. Even when I played other games, the last thing I ever checked was a podcast.

If you're looking for specific information, would you really want to drudge through an audio clip? A solid no.
Skimming through a guide (which we admittedly have a lack of) is more efficient/preferable. And the second best thing we've had recently was the Right way to build throw assassin thread. People threw in their insights and gear preferences (granted there's no quality control in opinions shared) but as a newbie, you can skim and take what you want.

To a certain extent, the short questions thread is more of a bane as it makes the forum seem more dead than it should, but it does keep the clutter away!

Alright, so I can tell you care about the community, especially after saying you've written/deleted the post 4 times, trying to not dampen the mood. However I believe there are some things that I'd like to debate about your post, and possibly enlighten you to.

1. The Podcast would be on Twitch, and therefore would have a Vod, with timestamps to specific content, Ie. Patch notes, Character Balance, etc.
2. The goal of the podcast would be to bring people from all lights into a much more solid open forum where people can talk freely about what they believe, and have a on the fly discussion rather than waiting for post after post, Ie. Look at this thread and the discussion between if Maelsin, and Neutraldin are top tier or not. in 20 hours, 4 posts on the topic were made, something that in a podcast setting would take 5 minutes.
3. I'm not quite sure what you mean by disseminating information as motivation for a podcast. I'm looking for a way to have a group of people both experienced and not, so that the game isn't only being furthered for one style of play. I do not want a game that is only geared towards new players and sacrifices the vets, nor a game which sacrifices the new players over the vets. I feel like that is a consistant issue when it comes to games, where they only listen to either the elite or the masses, and struggle to listen to both.
4. As for peoples voices being rough on the ears. I feel like thats a personal struggle, and honestly I can understand it, I dislike squeaker voices. However if someone has valid input I wouldn't put them behind bars for something they cannot change. I find that by doing something like that, we could miss a opportunity to have a good discussion about something, if the person has a good argument. Therefore that one would have to be on the viewer if they can or can't handle X person.
5. For people whom are new to games, a lot of the time they go to youtube, and watch the big youtuber/streamers guides. Look at Path of Exile, and Mathil, or ZiggyD, or Phox, etc. Plenty of these guys are the reason for metas on PoE, and they do it via a video, not a forum post.
6. You literally said, "The Right way to build a throw assassin thread" is super useful, however it's a forum post based topic, which you have to dig through pages of pages of text to find the information you want, versus a few people talking about the character to lengths with a timestamp, you can tune into, while playing the game, and always listen to or watch a video on when confused. I think that this format is better, as you can do it while playing, and learn the game through experience as well as others teachings at the same time.

I'm hopefully not coming across as offensive or aggressive, I just felt a need to clarify my point on some of these topics, and to try to help you understand my goal here.

I want median to grow, and to grow discussion needs to improve. Have you ever looked at a political gathering, do they just send posts back and forth every 10 hours, or do they sit down and discuss it in open air, to try to find a more quick, and concise solution to the problem? Thats my 2 cents on the difference between using a text based format, and a vocal format to discuss information. I believe that vocal format is much easier to relay information at a much more indepth level as it's easier to describe stuff on the fly, than it is to write an essay over and over for little things in a game.
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Cool idea and good luck.

I imagine if the podcasts are too frequent you may run out of topics and it may become stale though. How frequent do you plan to run these things?
TgTalcon
Pit Knight
108 | 27
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Pub wrote:Cool idea and good luck.

I imagine if the podcasts are too frequent you may run out of topics and it may become stale though. How frequent do you plan to run these things?

I was thinking of the first weekend with new patch notes, first weekend at end of week 1 ladder, then possibly week 3 and go from there. I know a weekly podcast would get repetitive but pre league, first week, and third week give us time to figure out a fair amount of the game. For as long as the podcast would run, that massively depends on the lifespan of the general population of the ladder.

For example, month 1 of this ladder I actively had 60 viewers, month 2 I struggled to hit 20, last night I did a small discussion stream and averaged around 10. So it shows on the twitch end the drop off was 66% in 1 month then another 50% in two months for this ladder which wasnt super engaging etc. So I'd expect to run them for 1-2 months per league

If the podcast format doesnt take off, and other people dont wish to join in on voice chat to discuss, I was thinking of doing a "TedTalks" called TalconTalks segment instead where I discuss from my personal views the pros and cons of certain mechanics, or character builds, balance of game, etc. As I kind of already do this when streaming normally, even on other games. We had an hour long talk on it when I was playing beat saber for an example.
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
TgTalcon wrote:

I was thinking of the first weekend with new patch notes, first weekend at end of week 1 ladder, then possibly week 3 and go from there. I know a weekly podcast would get repetitive but pre league, first week, and third week give us time to figure out a fair amount of the game. For as long as the podcast would run, that massively depends on the lifespan of the general population of the ladder.

For example, month 1 of this ladder I actively had 60 viewers, month 2 I struggled to hit 20, last night I did a small discussion stream and averaged around 10. So it shows on the twitch end the drop off was 66% in 1 month then another 50% in two months for this ladder which wasnt super engaging etc. So I'd expect to run them for 1-2 months per league

If the podcast format doesnt take off, and other people dont wish to join in on voice chat to discuss, I was thinking of doing a "TedTalks" called TalconTalks segment instead where I discuss from my personal views the pros and cons of certain mechanics, or character builds, balance of game, etc. As I kind of already do this when streaming normally, even on other games. We had an hour long talk on it when I was playing beat saber for an example.

Neat. I'd personally like to see people talk about replayability and the current state of endgame with its appeal and why it may not be enough to see the growth of the community, or doesn't keep people long around long enough for ladder. I can kind of relate to it, but I just had to convince myself that the endgame isn't for me. I'd kill the president to literally have my brain wiped so I can love enjoying MXL again by learning and attempting ubers for the "first time" again. Was the funnest times I've had streaming.
TgTalcon
Pit Knight
108 | 27
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Pub wrote:
TgTalcon wrote:

Neat. I'd personally like to see people talk about replayability and the current state of endgame with its appeal and why it may not be enough to see the growth of the community, or doesn't keep people long around long enough for ladder. I can kind of relate to it, but I just had to convince myself that the endgame isn't for me. I'd kill the president to literally have my brain wiped so I can love enjoying MXL again by learning and attempting ubers for the "first time" again. Was the funnest times I've had streaming.

I feel like people get confused by the Median End Game. Is Sammy the "End Game"? Is lvl 130 purify fights? Or is end game fauzt? Currently the end game is not really there, and I hope that with future work on the rift system, we'll have a great end game. I've already said it many times but I have an idea that if possible to implement may actually make for a very difficult, and yet engaging end game.

My idea of a proper end game, within the Rift mechanic would be for Unique riftstones to have a chance to drop in any zone level 130+

The unique riftstones, would be relatively rare, and would be a level 135 rift, based on an already existing uber.

For an example, You find a Level 135, The Uber Cow Level. In this cow level the mobs are tuned up to 11, and you need to be geared to combat them. They have increased sacred drop bias, increased mf bias, and higher chance to drop the good drops. However, they are very difficult zones to complete. In the zone, there is a gauranteed boss, in The Bull King Rodeo, who is BPR But again, tuned up to 11, making him much harder to deal with, however, if you manage to kill him, he would drop with 100% chance, another level 135 Riftstone, for one of the ubers in the game, Tran athula, Fauzt, Bremmtown, K3k, etc which are all versions of the original zones but insanely difficult. Tran boss could be Athula, Bremmtown the Dragon could be an actual boss, with mechanics. K3K we could have a uber version of an ennead necro, Fauzt Omega, Alpha, Beta, etc could combine to create an elite necrobot boss. Stuff like this is what I'd love to be able to discuss for the devs to take note of, and potentially use to improve the game. Everyone whom I've thrown this idea to, has said it'd be sick to have something like it, and I personally feel like it'd have a True End Game farming wise compared to what we have now.

I used to play Median a lot back in the day, and Fauzt was always a zone I struggled with immensely. It would take me hours to clear it a few times, because I had no idea what I was doing, plus the game was much more difficult. Now-a-days, I can almost run it in Tu's on some characters, and it feels weak for an "end game" zone.
supersage10
Azure Drake
164 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
The real question is when we doing this I’m sure the more we talk about it is great and all but let’s set something get the ball rolling
TgTalcon
Pit Knight
108 | 27
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
supersage10 wrote:The real question is when we doing this I’m sure the more we talk about it is great and all but let’s set something get the ball rolling

I'm thinking of doing it on Saturdays at 4pm Eastern Time Zone. I currently just did a stream / am streaming as I'm typing this, about the announcement. so I'm looking to do the podcast when the patch notes drop, so they can be discussed at more length than just me, and a few people in chat chiming in.