Need Help with Necro (XBow/Melee)

Discuss Median XL!
boingotango
Banned
27 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I'm looking for some advice for my Necro. I leveled with Summonmancer and switched to melee about when Ubers started.

I did pretty well, and seemed really powerful (was doing better than my Sorc friend up until about this point, then complete 180, though they're a bit better than me) up until about Teganze. Now I feel like I've really hit a brick wall and everything feels like slamming my head against a wall. So I decided to try XBow Necro since I heard it's supposed to be better/more meta, but I've had pretty much the same results (actually worse off since survivability is worse, though I can manipulate Widowmaker to at least actually be able to kill things in Teganze, though a bit slowly)

I guess I should probably post my builds.

My Melee Necro is:
Max: Embalming, Deathward, Rathma's Chosen, Deathlord.
7-Point: Carnage
1 to 9-Point: Talon's Hold
1-Point: Nightwalker
1-Point: Graveyard
1 to Max: Parasite
Rest: Death Pact.
1-Point: Pestilence

I've also tried replacing Deathlord with a mix of Famine and Death Pact, but that just seemed to make me squishier.

My Gear is

Weapon:
Reaper's Hand
Reaper's Hand
Bonesplitter (Sacred)

Two-Hand Damage: (238 - 336) to (373 - 502)
(Necromancer Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength: 512
Item Level: 105
Strength Damage Bonus: (0.16 per Strength)%
Mega Impact
15% Chance to cast level 1 Raid on Melee Attack
Additional Strength Damage Bonus: 0.0390625%
Adds (50 to 90)-(180 to 250) Damage
(50 to 150)% Bonus to Attack Rating
(5 to 10)% Life stolen per Hit
+(130 to 200)% Enhanced Damage
Freezes Target +1
Socketed (6)
with Jah Runes I have a Rathma's, but it seems pretty useless, had actually been gunning for a full Rathma's set because I heard that's supposed to be one of the good ones, but only got Scythe and BA
Switch:
Shamanka
Shamanka
Long Staff (Sacred)

Two-Hand Damage: 56 to 58
Required Dexterity: 203
Dexterity Damage Bonus: (0.15 per Dexterity)%
+(3 to 6) to Sorceress Skill Levels
45% Cast Speed
45% Hit Recovery
+50% Damage to Undead
+(21 to 25)% to Fire Spell Damage
+(21 to 25)% to Cold Spell Damage
+(21 to 25)% to Poison Spell Damage
+(6 to 16) to Bloodlust
Maximum Life +(10 to 13)%
Fire Resist +(50 to 70)%
Lightning Resist +(50 to 70)%
Socketed (4)
I also use
Blackheart
Blackheart
Grim Wand (4)

One-Hand Damage: 6 to 8
(Necromancer Only)
Required Level: 11
Required Dexterity: 15
Item Level: 1
Dexterity Damage Bonus: (0.06 per Dexterity)%
+1 to Necromancer Skill Levels
15% Cast Speed
15% Hit Recovery
+50% Damage to Undead
+(6 to 9) to Summon Darklings
+1 to Dark Power
+(9 to 10)% to Summoned Minion Damage
+1 Life Regenerated per Second (Based on Character Level)
Socketed (1)
One-Hand Damage: 11 to 17
(Necromancer Only)
Required Level: 29
Required Dexterity: 23
Item Level: 31
+2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
25% Cast Speed
25% Hit Recovery
+50% Damage to Undead
+(12 to 16) to Summon Darklings
+2 to Dark Power
+(16 to 20)% to Summoned Minion Damage
Socketed (2)
One-Hand Damage: 17 to 26
(Necromancer Only)
Required Level: 47
Required Dexterity: 46
Item Level: 51
+3 to Necromancer Skill Levels
35% Cast Speed
35% Hit Recovery
+50% Damage to Undead
+(20 to 26) to Summon Darklings
+3 to Dark Power
+(26 to 30)% to Summoned Minion Damage
Socketed (2)
One-Hand Damage: 20 to 31
(Necromancer Only)
Required Level: 55
Required Dexterity: 92
Item Level: 77
+4 to Necromancer Skill Levels
40% Cast Speed
40% Hit Recovery
+50% Damage to Undead
+(32 to 36) to Summon Darklings
+4 to Dark Power
+(36 to 40)% to Summoned Minion Damage
Socketed (2)
and
Homunculus
Homunculus
Preserved Head (Sacred)

Defense: 1215 to 1300
Chance to Block: 2%
(Necromancer Only)
Required Level: 115
Required Dexterity: 436
Item Level: 120
Graveyard: +2 Additional Projectiles
4% Chance to cast level 21 Lifeblood on Kill
+(50 to 100) Spell Focus
-30% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+(7 to 12) to Graveyard (Necromancer Only)
+(31 to 44) to Arachnomancy
+(100 to 150) to Vitality
Maximum Poison Resist +(2 to 3)%
50% Bonus to Defense
Socketed (4)
to buff with
Gloves:
Hammerfist
Hammerfist
Gauntlets (Sacred)

Defense: (1227 - 1450) to (1436 - 1697)
Required Strength: 625
Adds (1 to 15)-(20 to 30) Damage
5% Life stolen per Hit
+(15 to 25) to Spiral Dance
5% Chance of Crushing Blow
Weapon Physical Damage +(30 to 60)%
+(120 to 160)% Enhanced Defense
Elemental Resists +15%
Socketed (4)
with gems (don't have great resists, because I'm nervous about MO'ing my rings and Amulet because I just feel so damn unsure of what I should do, everything feels wrong)
Helm:
Witchhunter's Hood
Witchhunter's Hood
Cap (Sacred)

Defense: (2136 - 2611) to (2161 - 2642)
Required Level: 90
Required Strength:
+(80 to 120)% Enhanced Defense
10% to Strength
10% to Dexterity
Maximum Elemental Resists +2%
Elemental Resists +(31 to 40)%
Physical Resist 5%
(16 to 20)% Bonus to Defense
Requirements -50%
Socketed (4)

Witchhunter's Attire
(Assassin Claw Set)
with Ber Jewels (edit, holy shit my friend just found Metalhead for me, I might have to respec to Melee again)
Body Armor:
Erawan

Erawan
Body Armors

'LemKoCham'
Runeword Level: 83
15% Combat Speeds
+(144 to 171)% Enhanced Defense
(27 to 30)% to Strength
(27 to 30)% to Vitality
Physical Resist (13 to 15)%
(15 to 20)% Bonus to Defense
with Ber Jewels
Boots:
Megalith
Megalith
Boots

'LoFal'
Runeword Level: 73
+1 to All Skills
25% Cast Speed
15% Block Speed
+(115 to 143)% Enhanced Defense
+(10 to 20) to all Attributes
5% to Dexterity
Regenerate Mana +30%
Physical Resist 5%
with Ber Jewels
Belt:
Nero
Surprise with Ber Jewels Also used (only able to get this because friend gave me rune, I couldn't do zone to get runes =() Also used
Marchosias' Hatred
Marchosias' Hatred
Heavy Belt (Sacred)

Defense: (3111 - 3455) to (3359 - 3731)
Required Strength: 625
5% Chance to cast level 3 Bladestorm on Melee Attack
3% Chance of Crushing Blow
Weapon Physical Damage +(55 to 60)%
+(144 to 171)% Enhanced Defense
(6 to 10)% to Strength
Socketed (2)

Marchosias' Essence
(Druid Werewolf Set)

Rings: Two
Ripstar
Ripstar
Ring

Required Level: 60
Item Level: 60
+0.5625 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+20 Life on Melee Attack
now, was using
Adrenaline Rush
Adrenaline Rush
Ring

Item Level: 120
+1 to All Skills
40% Combat Speeds
40% Movement Speed
Maximum Elemental Resists +1%
and
Earth Rouser
Earth Rouser
Ring

Item Level: 100
2% Chance to cast level 10 Shockwave on Melee Attack
Weapon Physical Damage +15%
(6 to 10)% to Strength
got two
Der Nebelring
Der Nebelring
Ring

Required Level: 110
+(20 to 30)% to Summoned Minion Life
+15% to Summoned Minion Damage
+1000 Defense
+400 to Life
Physical Resist (4 to 6)%
+(40 to 50) Life after each Kill
+2 to Light Radius
now, but am currently switched to XBow and haven't got a chance to try them out
Amulet:
Athulua's Oracle
Athulua's Oracle
Amulet

Required Level: 60
Item Level: 60
+(1 to 2) to All Skills
40% Attack Speed
(150 to 250)% Bonus to Attack Rating
Cannot Be Frozen
Felblood
Felblood
Amulet

Required Level: 10
Metal Solace: Also Regenerates Totem Life
+(1 to 2) to Necromancer Skill Levels
5% Life stolen per Hit
+4 to Life (Based on Character Level)
3% Reanimate as: Random Monster
and
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Amulet

Item Level: 123
2% Chance to cast level 33 Punisher Bolt on Striking
+(0 to 2) to All Skills
+(11 to 30)% to Poison Spell Damage
-(6 to 15)% to Enemy Poison Resistance

Astrogha's Moon
(Wyrd Set)
(Currently need to use either Athulua's Oracle or Ardenaline Rush to achieve breakpoints)

My Xbow gear is pretty much the same (I was surprised when the guide recommended such similar gear, I have a full Achillo's Set I haven't really played with too much since this DOES seem better for how it says to play, but I don't know.)

EXCEPT:
Weapon:
Hwanin's Hwacha
Hwanin's Hwacha
Needle Crossbow (Sacred)

(Necromancer Only)
Required Strength: 244
Innate Fire Damage: (80.0% of Strength)
Alchemic Preparation: Flametail Shot gains +1 Projectile per 4 Base Levels
Flametail Shot Inherits Catapult Shot's Fire Damage
4% Chance to cast level 24 Flametail Shot on Striking
+5 to Necromancer Skill Levels
60% Attack Speed
Adds 250-350 Fire Damage
(5 to 12)% Innate Elemental Damage
+150 to Strength
-100 to Dexterity
Socketed (6)

Helm:
Trang-Oul's Breath
Trang-Oul's Breath
Mask (Sacred)

Defense: (1316 - 2256) to (1405 - 2409)
Required Strength: 600
Dragon Breath: Reduces Weapon Physical Damage by 25%
+(1 to 2) to All Skills
+(15 to 40)% to Physical/Magic Spell Damage
+(40 to 140)% Enhanced Defense
+250 to Mana
Maximum Fire Resist +(1 to 2)%
Maximum Cold Resist +(1 to 2)%
Socketed (4)

Quiver: Random trash rare, since I got so pissed off after rolling about 6 or 7 Quivers with ACs only to get fucking Plague Gland Every. Goddamn. Time. even though there are three TU quivers listed. (If anyone knows for sure if you can actually roll one of the others please let me know, I really want a Tranquilizer)

Skills copypasta:
Max: Widowmaker, Death Ward, Dragonfire oil, Embalming
1 pointers: Talon's hold, first summon (the skeleton dudes)
5 Death Pact
9 Famine
2 Rathma's Chosen (I actually kinda hate the guide gave me choices as I suck so fucking bad I don't have any idea what I want for this build)
14 points Flametail shot

And since I'm too lazy to indivually list all my charms here's a screenshots of my inventory (and no, that Teganze charm doesn't have anything on it)

(Edit D2Stats for Xbow (don't have melee)

I'm guessing since these are so similar to the guide suggestions that the fact that I'm having trouble just means i need to gitgud, but I've also heard a lot of people say that the guides on here sucks and you need to expertpromode totes create your own build, but I don't know about that shit.

I do think that having some confirmation that my build is at least on point will at least make me feel more like I can make some progress as opposed to pointlessly beating my head against the wall, since I don't wanna keep changing back and forth trying shit since I can't seem to get many belladonna pots at all.
I've honestly stopped playing the last few days because it seems pointless and feels like I've just been relegated to farming Kurast or Tran Athulua over and over again, I can do Duncraig but it's just so goddamn frustrating to me. Motherfucker that made Xbow guide lied and said that with Hwanin and trash gear he could facetank barrels (idk that might be true, but I cannot).

I've even starting rolling a Hammerzon after I got a Thunderbane SU, because that's what I was playing Pre-Ladder reset (I got her to 117, befoe reset, so hard to compare)

So yeah, any advice other than the obligatory kys would be nice.

(edit: I also have a Xis rune available from friend, but not sure what to use it for, since I can't unsocket I'm nervous about using it)
Edited by boingotango 4 years.
Tankerton
Prowler
17 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I've tested both at 140 but leveled with xbow and one of the biggest upgrades you can do is stack the living shit out of life leech especially since the Nerf to weapon dmg that xbow got. Melee would be the go to for most bosses imo (except kabraxis) try and roll a +300 damage craft and that will maximize xbow dmg. For LL you can roll ber jewels and try to get flat life and attack rating with 2 to LL. Flat life scales very well with embalming so stack as much flat life as possible.
Oh, and I used reapers hand as well so that's a decent scythe but I also used a gelebs maffers combo with it.
Hope this helps.
Tankerton
Prowler
17 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Oh and mo rings and ammy with Mana Regen, mf, and whatever resists you're lacking in.
boingotango
Banned
27 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Tankerton wrote:I've tested both at 140 but leveled with xbow and one of the biggest upgrades you can do is stack the living shit out of life leech especially since the Nerf to weapon dmg that xbow got. Melee would be the go to for most bosses imo (except kabraxis) try and roll a +300 damage craft and that will maximize xbow dmg. For LL you can roll ber jewels and try to get flat life and attack rating with 2 to LL. Flat life scales very well with embalming so stack as much flat life as possible.
Oh, and I used reapers hand as well so that's a decent scythe but I also used a gelebs maffers combo with it.
Hope this helps.

Okay, so the LL *is* a big ass deal. Also forgot about my D2 stats added to OP (don't have melee just yet, sorry)

I just did some Weird Shrine crafting hows this crossbow

boingotango
Banned
27 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
I don't know man, I tried that, I made sure to put elemental resist MO in my jewelry, removed the gems from hammerfist, put only 2% ll ber jewels in, MO'd my crossbow with ll, put all 2% ll ber jewels and it still sucks ass. I can't fucking touch Kabraxis, I can't do teganze. what's the fucking point? What's the fucking point?? What the fuck am I doing wrong
Sonicbdwa
Sasquatch
64 | 7
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Tankerton wrote:I've tested both at 140 but leveled with xbow and one of the biggest upgrades you can do is stack the living shit out of life leech especially since the Nerf to weapon dmg that xbow got. Melee would be the go to for most bosses imo (except kabraxis) try and roll a +300 damage craft and that will maximize xbow dmg. For LL you can roll ber jewels and try to get flat life and attack rating with 2 to LL. Flat life scales very well with embalming so stack as much flat life as possible.
Hope this helps.

Melee necro can definitely do kabraxis and fast :bounce:
lazyknob
Balrog
126 | 6
Sonicbdwa wrote:
Hope this helps.

Melee necro can definitely do kabraxis and fast :bounce:

Would look forward to a video where the said melee is closer to 120 than 140 and not in the best possible gear.

That said, range is infinitely easier than melee against Kabraxis.
boingotango
Banned
27 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Man I just respec'd back to Melee Necro and OOOOOooooooooo HE BAADD

I guess the Path of Flames buff from Nero and Metalhead (respec'd with 100% stats into strength, not sure if that's a big difference) are really big upgrades for me. I'm pretty much one shotting things in Duncraig and Teganze. However, I still constantly die due to all the instadeath shit (I know if I put my mind to it a little bit more I could do better, but I just hate the barrel/orb shit so fucking much that my hardheaded obstinate ass doesn't want to learn to deal with it.)

Well, at least that was my initial reaction. I then got my nuts all big and wanted to try to do Path of Enlightenment again (not even attempting Kabraxis. I just wanted to be able to go to Fauztinville, since I think I actually have a chance to farm there as opposed to more gimmicky zones), but goddamnit I can't do shit. Can't bring down one fucking Elemental. I guess I'll just fucking sit back and watch my friend do that shit. Hell maybe I'll just have him play my character too and I won't even have to fucking do anything but look at my cool new loot.

Maybe I'm just better off not worrying about anything past about 120. It doesn't do anything but annoy and enrage me. It just makes me mad. Or maybe I should just quit, but I've been having so much damn fun up until this point. I even did fucking Lucion, but a lot of this shit is just too irritating to me to even want to play.
Tankerton
Prowler
17 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
boingotango wrote:Man I just respec'd back to Melee Necro and OOOOOooooooooo HE BAADD

I guess the Path of Flames buff from Nero and Metalhead (respec'd with 100% stats into strength, not sure if that's a big difference) are really big upgrades for me. I'm pretty much one shotting things in Duncraig and Teganze. However, I still constantly die due to all the instadeath shit (I know if I put my mind to it a little bit more I could do better, but I just hate the barrel/orb shit so fucking much that my hardheaded obstinate ass doesn't want to learn to deal with it.)

Well, at least that was my initial reaction. I then got my nuts all big and wanted to try to do Path of Enlightenment again (not even attempting Kabraxis. I just wanted to be able to go to Fauztinville, since I think I actually have a chance to farm there as opposed to more gimmicky zones), but goddamnit I can't do shit. Can't bring down one fucking Elemental. I guess I'll just fucking sit back and watch my friend do that shit. Hell maybe I'll just have him play my character too and I won't even have to fucking do anything but look at my cool new loot.

Maybe I'm just better off not worrying about anything past about 120. It doesn't do anything but annoy and enrage me. It just makes me mad. Or maybe I should just quit, but I've been having so much damn fun up until this point. I even did fucking Lucion, but a lot of this shit is just too irritating to me to even want to play.

Those elementals can be a bitch tbh. Just keep at it and you will learn. Why give up now when you made it so far? The big thing with kabraxis is knowing the fight.
Watch a few videos of the fight and study what they do. The xbow you made looks good for flat dmg but would be better with a good proc such as shower of rocks or knife throw. With some +skills and a proc it would be gg but for a start it's good. Also from what I understand stinger xbow is better base because of dmg. I don't really like melee for farming and shit, xbow def excels at places like fautz and Dunc. In order for you to be effective in Dunc you still need to know how to avoid barrels or else any char can die to them. If you feel like you're lacking on LL even after socketing ber jewels then I would suggest using a python xis rw xbow. It has very nice bonuses to LL, Max life, strength, and dexterity. All of which are nice for this build. If you would like I could help you get some charms and see if I can help you further along with the build when I'm on tomorrow. Shoot me a pm if you do want a hand.
Cheers
boingotango
Banned
27 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Tankerton wrote:Those elementals can be a bitch tbh. Just keep at it and you will learn. Why give up now when you made it so far? The big thing with kabraxis is knowing the fight.
Watch a few videos of the fight and study what they do. The xbow you made looks good for flat dmg but would be better with a good proc such as shower of rocks or knife throw. With some +skills and a proc it would be gg but for a start it's good. Also from what I understand stinger xbow is better base because of dmg. I don't really like melee for farming and shit, xbow def excels at places like fautz and Dunc. In order for you to be effective in Dunc you still need to know how to avoid barrels or else any char can die to them. If you feel like you're lacking on LL even after socketing ber jewels then I would suggest using a python xis rw xbow. It has very nice bonuses to LL, Max life, strength, and dexterity. All of which are nice for this build. If you would like I could help you get some charms and see if I can help you further along with the build when I'm on tomorrow. Shoot me a pm if you do want a hand.
Cheers

Man, I really appreciate it. I think I'm just having a really shitty attitude about shit, and I just need to remind myself to keep trying to adapt to things instead of wanting things to change for me. Another big factor is not knowing if I'm on the right track with gear and stuff, but now that I know that I am. I just need to put my mind to it and actually keep trying.

Your offer is very generous, but I'd feel kinda dirty getting the charms from someone else (despite my autistics ree'ings on here, I do have a semblance of pride). I also switched back to melee, so I'm not sure I wanna waste my last belladonna to go back. I'm a little more familiar with melee (I mained a barb in D2: WW and Ali Baba FTW), so maybe it'll be better. Though, I am really considering just making a second necro at some point to do Crossbow with (maybe even a third and a fourth for totem and summon lol I'm kinda an altaholic - which kinda goes into my shitty quick-to-quit attitude)

I do have one question though: I have a Xis rune available, my partner got me one. However,I am scared to death to use it because of it being unsocketable. I don't know how big of a deal it is to get a Perfect base item, what is a good standard for a base Xis item? Is there anyway at all to reroll Sacred Base items or more easily get a hold of a good one, or does it have to a straight drop? (Edit: apparently you CAN use Reroll potions, not sure why I was so sure you couldn't. That make things so much simpler)

I'm also unsure if I want
Rebel (Xis)
Mercy (Xis)
, or possibly
Chthon (Xis)
(though my friend says that he might have a Taha for me to make a
Leviathan

Leviathan
Necromancer Scythes

'QorQorJah'
Runeword Level: 100
30% Attack Speed
+(101 to 125) to Maximum Damage
+(401 to 500) to Attack Rating
+(156 to 186)% Enhanced Damage
+(17 to 21) to Dark Power
(7 to 10)% Deadly Strike
Slow Target (21 to 25)%
(36 to 50)% to Strength
(36 to 50)% to Dexterity
+(75 to 125) to Life
Physical Resist (12 to 15)%
)

(Edit: I feel so stupid. I should be taking advantage of Parasites they will keep hitting things and, more importantly, LEECHING off monsters while I run away. I'm dumb. So much better.)