Does every skill in MXL really has to be completely new?

Discuss Median XL!
clueso
Jungle Hunter
28 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
This might be a controversial topic, but my question is why every single skill in the skill tree needs to be one that is completely new? Because there are certainly some really amazing, fun and iconic skills from D2 that in my opinion could be placed in the skill tree of MXL without hurting the mod at all and even improve it if that would be done.

A few examples:
* Corpse Explosion
* Bone Spear
* Bone Spirit
* Strafe
* Multishot
* Valkyrie
* Lightning Fury (is an oSkill set as well, I know, but it still would be the most interesting Javazon skill if it would be placed in the tree)
* Frozen Orb (I know, is now on an oSkill set, but why not on the skill tree)
* Thunderstorm (could even fit on the Druid)
* Blizzard (if that skill would replace Freezing Gale on the Druid, it would imo be 10 times more interesting and better looking than FG itself)
* etc ...

I mean there are already some classic skills that have found their way back into the skill trees of MXL in one way or another, like Whirlwind on the Barbarian, as well as Hydra on the Paladin, Iron Golm on the Necro, Multishot in the from of the Fire Arrows in one of the last patches, the Druid Shapeshifitng Forms and Revive on the Paladin, so why not some more old skills?

In my opinion it would not hurt the mod to bring back some more classic skills into the MXL skill trees, but what about you?
Jakob
Thunder Beetle
56 | 2
yes
Maxim
Imp
4 | 1
exactly!!! i think there are many skills, which need a rework
nick1358
Bone Archer
77 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
You make a fair point. However, i personally prefer them being on oSkill sets, because it for one provides build diversity, but also makes for some interesting skill combinations, of the character skills buffing or otherwise enhancing an oSkill build. I tried lightning fury this ladder and it was quite fun, even if it was pretty weak in clearing, compared to the rest of the skills currently in the game.

I think if some of the classic skills got a slight rework, to better fit the thematic and general gameplay of MXL, they could be an absolutely amazing addition.
Consider the projectile that Lightning Fury is, but it pierces through all mobs hit, generating an explosion of furies for each enemy hit. That sounds amazing to me! Even if you'd have to tune down the dmg a bit, since it is a spammable skill.
Caleb
Rust Claw
86 | 3
Why do you want all the cLod skill in mxl?? go back to cLod or path of diablo then ....
clueso
Jungle Hunter
28 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
nick1358 wrote:You make a fair point. However, i personally prefer them being on oSkill sets

As I said, a lot of classic skills already have made a comeback in MXL with just slight redesigns:

* Whirlwind is now Windform on the Barbarian
* Hydra is now Dragon Wyrms on the Paladin
* Revive is now Resurrect on the Paladin
* Iron Golem is still on the Necro
* Multishot was basically on the Amazon until last patch or so
* the Druid's Shapeshifting Forms are still there
* Blessed Hammer is now Hammer of Zerae on the Amazon

So there are already skills in MXL that are basically the same as they were in the original D2 LoD, so my question would be why not bring back some of the ones that were more fun and iconic, like the ones I listed above

nick1358 wrote:I tried lightning fury this ladder and it was quite fun, even if it was pretty weak in clearing, compared to the rest of the skills currently in the game.

I think if some of the classic skills got a slight rework, to better fit the thematic and general gameplay of MXL, they could be an absolutely amazing addition.

I agree, but as you can see, that has already happened...

nick1358 wrote:Consider the projectile that Lightning Fury is, but it pierces through all mobs hit, generating an explosion of furies for each enemy hit. That sounds amazing to me! Even if you'd have to tune down the dmg a bit, since it is a spammable skill.

Sure, I would love that as well.

I wouldn't mind if Lightning Fury (maybe under a different name and with the pierce mechanic) would replace Enfilade or Ricochet. It would look 100 times better and if balanced correctly would also perfectly complement the build.

100% chance to pierce by default and +1 secondary lightning missile that gets emanated on impact per all 1 or 2 base levels sounds reasonable.

Hell, it even could be a bow skill to make it differ a bit more from the classic LoD skill, if that is what is needed.

Caleb wrote:Why do you want all the cLod skill in mxl?? go back to cLod or path of diablo then ....

Slippery-slope very much...
No, I don't want all the classic LoD skills back, just some of them. And in fact, as stated above, a decent number of them are already in some of the MXL Sigma skill trees...
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
clueso wrote:This might be a controversial topic, but my question is why every single skill in the skill tree needs to be one that is completely new? Because there are certainly some really amazing, fun and iconic skills from D2 that in my opinion could be placed in the skill tree of MXL without hurting the mod at all and even improve it if that would be done.

A few examples:
[i]* Corpse Explosion
* Bone Spear
* Bone Spirit
* Strafe

Immediately stopped reading after that last awful skill recommendation.
Orr
Monkey King
285 | 7
would be great to have some cload mechanics aswell
Ekital
Grubber
310 | 11
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
clueso wrote:Whirlwind is now Windform on the Barbarian

Whirlwind actually exists as an oskill on
Hammer of Jholm
Hammer of Jholm
Great Maul (Sacred)

Two-Hand Damage: 76 to 89
Required Level: 100
Required Strength:
Item Level: 120
Strength Damage Bonus: (0.16 per Strength)%
While Using Windform:
Adds 3 - 5 Fire Damage per 20 Attributes
Adds 3 - 5 Lightning Damage per 20 Attributes
+200% to Fire and Lightning Spell Damage
-1% to Enemy Fire and Lightning Resists per 60 Attributes
15% Chance to cast level 60 Nova on Melee Attack
15% Chance to cast level 63 Apocalypse on Melee Attack
120% Attack Speed
+50% Damage to Undead
+20 to Windform
Requirements +100%
Socketed (6)
clueso
Jungle Hunter
28 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Ekital wrote:
clueso wrote:Whirlwind is now Windform on the Barbarian

Whirlwind actually exists as an oskill on
Hammer of Jholm
Hammer of Jholm
Great Maul (Sacred)

Two-Hand Damage: 76 to 89
Required Level: 100
Required Strength:
Item Level: 120
Strength Damage Bonus: (0.16 per Strength)%
While Using Windform:
Adds 3 - 5 Fire Damage per 20 Attributes
Adds 3 - 5 Lightning Damage per 20 Attributes
+200% to Fire and Lightning Spell Damage
-1% to Enemy Fire and Lightning Resists per 60 Attributes
15% Chance to cast level 60 Nova on Melee Attack
15% Chance to cast level 63 Apocalypse on Melee Attack
120% Attack Speed
+50% Damage to Undead
+20 to Windform
Requirements +100%
Socketed (6)

Sure, but Windform basically is Whirlwind.

Pub wrote:
clueso wrote:This might be a controversial topic, but my question is why every single skill in the skill tree needs to be one that is completely new? Because there are certainly some really amazing, fun and iconic skills from D2 that in my opinion could be placed in the skill tree of MXL without hurting the mod at all and even improve it if that would be done.

A few examples:
[i]* Corpse Explosion
* Bone Spear
* Bone Spirit
* Strafe

Immediately stopped reading after that last awful skill recommendation.

Give it chance, everyone of us has different preferences and furthermore it were just examples.

Also Strafe can be modified to work a bit differently in this mod than in classic LoD.

Or if you refer to the fact that Bowzons in cLoD sucked, well that was primarily due to bows in cLoD having a very low base damage, which made the builds not very competitive, but that has nothing to do with MXL.

But thanks for all your feedback guys!
Edited by clueso 4 years.