What's the stance on sacred uniques?

Discuss Median XL!
Celestialray
Gravedigger
192 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I play median since m2008 days and I always appreciated something in particular about it: the absurd power some uniques have. Fast forward to recent(ish) version of mxl (few years back), it felt really good to get that dear ester drop, but back then it had 50% arrow on striking, not 25% as it has now. Gjallarhorn used to have something like 50% thunder hammer on striking. Now it has 10%. My point is, most of sacred uniques are hardly usable anymore. What's the point of having a 20% arrow on striking azgar's mark if dirge is arguably easier to obtain (both sp and mp) and significantly more powerful (deadly strike more than makes up for the lack of arrow on striking for bosses and for clear it is absolutely broken). In fact, if I scroll through the sacred unique bows druid has, I see nothing of value. In fact, all of them are just bad (with the exception of certain build enabling uniques).

Why is that? Why do I get a better bow for my amazon by crafting one in like 50 tries maximum than most sacred unique bows? Where are the sacred unique items that could delete screens of monsters instead of being insta learning signet? I understand, that may not be the most balanced thing to have, but drop rates could be tweaked a bit just to allow the game to be a little more fun?

This is not necessarily a rant. I'm genuinely curious why most sacred uniques were overnerfed. I still enjoy the mod as it is. I just miss my dear esther :cry:
Elendilli
Djinn
548 | 67
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
When Sigma came out every proc in the game had their %proc chance reduced to reduce clutter and improve performance (this one was the biggest reason and it did work). To make up for the lower proc rate compared to before the damage of procs was increased to make up for the loss. Although theoretically having more procs will ultimately be more dps, sacrifices had to be made to make the game more performance friendly from what I recall.

An example of a build that was seriously affected by this was Tantrum or specifically Tantrumdin which was very fun btw. Not sure how viable it is anymore but it definitely is not a procfest destroyer like before.
Knight_Saber
Monkey King
264 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
You mention Median 2008. In M2008 a judgesin would proc so many projectiles that every sprite would turn invisible. (Death Metal was the main cause iirc). Let's not go back there.
Zennith
Grubber
310 | 30
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Median XL has performance issues because it's running on a customized 1999 engine that can't control itself when it comes to audio or more than 50 things on screen at once.

I hope whist can figure out a solution so we can have fun stuff again.

Other than creating the real Median XL some of the team wanted...
Conquest
Azure Drake
169 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
It's quite impressive how much they improved this engine in Sigma. Plays much better than Median 2017, although I would really like PlugY to function in SP. The offline tools thingy works sort of like plugy so can't complain for everything.

Laz's version contained some completely clusterfucky procs, but they were doing not that much damage. Loads of screen clutter & sprite limit issues, but monsters weren't dying as much as you'd want to. I played a Typhaon RW assasin (40% ctc arrow? or was it 50% idk) that used timerless Wyrd + Queen of Blades to produce these arrow proc spams. Was quite fun to play, but sprite limit issue was real.

Then Laz kept adding more SUs and SSSSSSSSSUs, to the point of creating stuff like 100% ctc level 5 bloodstar on striking (and that was on strength based axe without any spell damage pierce or buff to make this proc any decent). I mean come on, this proc is total trash, it does nearly no damage, only produces screen clutter. There is a good reason why items like that were axed from Sigma. Or even Ultimative and 2017. 10% ctc level 50 with +100% spell damage would kill more stuff than this 100% ctc level 5.