MXL Launcher 0.2.8

Discuss Median XL!
wlfbck
Skeleton
2 | 0
I'm getting reliably stuck on "Restart" (with a version under it, 17.3.0), can press that button as often as i want. Registry is correct, settings.json points to the correct path (not sure if it's intended that the settings are greyed out in the launcher after the first restart).

This is after a fresh install of D2 1.12A (and also with the 1.14D i had installed from ages ago previously) and then starting the MXL launcher installer and accepting all defaults, and then installing median via it afterwards.

There are also 3 other copies of D2 (for my other keysets) ony my drive, but those should not be an issue.

edit: Launching the game directly works fine though, can also get ingame. Launching the launcher while the game is running also gives a longer javascript error btw.

edit2: Atleast found the source of the problem (i think)
"[2017-07-14 04:05:08 +02:00] Error: Command failed: reg add "HKCU\Software\Battle.net\Configuration" /v "Diablo II Battle.net Gateways" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "1002\001\0realm.median-xl.com\01\0The Sin War" /f
ERROR: Access is denied."

Yes, it's running as administrator.

edit3: Really interesting, for some reason the "Set Value" permission for just the HKCU\Software\Battle.net\Configuration folder was set to deny for my profile. Setting that to allow (where it should be) fixed the problem.

edit4: It would be great if the settings the launcher applies to the registry would be reverted when it closes, so i can continue to use my other copies of D2 in battlenet.
User avatar
Quirinus
Gore Crawler
1523 | 132
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active forum collaborator / developer
wlfbck wrote:I'm getting reliably stuck on "Restart" (with a version under it, 17.3.0), can press that button as often as i want. Registry is correct, settings.json points to the correct path (not sure if it's intended that the settings are greyed out in the launcher after the first restart).

This is after a fresh install of D2 1.12A (and also with the 1.14D i had installed from ages ago previously) and then starting the MXL launcher installer and accepting all defaults, and then installing median via it afterwards.

There are also 3 other copies of D2 (for my other keysets) ony my drive, but those should not be an issue.

edit: Launching the game directly works fine though, can also get ingame. Launching the launcher while the game is running also gives a longer javascript error btw.

edit2: Atleast found the source of the problem (i think)
"[2017-07-14 04:05:08 +02:00] Error: Command failed: reg add "HKCU\Software\Battle.net\Configuration" /v "Diablo II Battle.net Gateways" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "1002\001\0realm.median-xl.com\01\0The Sin War" /f
ERROR: Access is denied."

Yes, it's running as administrator.

edit3: Really interesting, for some reason the "Set Value" permission for just the HKCU\Software\Battle.net\Configuration folder was set to deny for my profile. Setting that to allow (where it should be) fixed the problem.

edit4: It would be great if the settings the launcher applies to the registry would be reverted when it closes, so i can continue to use my other copies of D2 in battlenet.


yeah in the next version it will revert registry to battlenet and d2 file changes

glad to see you resolved the issue :)
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
wlfbck
Skeleton
2 | 0
Quirinus wrote:yeah in the next version it will revert registry to battlenet and d2 file changes

glad to see you resolved the issue :)


Ah cool! I think i also remembered why i did that change which specifically forbid me to change the realmlist; d2 "updates" the realmlist after logging into battlenet, which can be prevented by what i did. Might be interesting for someone stumbling over this with the same problem.

I know i'm not exactly in the position to ask for stuff, but maybe an error message on being unable to write to registry to update the realmlist would be handy too (since this should also be happening for everyone who launches without admin-rights?). Since Median itself is still playable, you just can't connect to TSW.
User avatar
Muilpeer
Monkey King
266 | 6
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Keep getting the c0000005 error, even after trying all of this:
viewtopic.php?p=100771#p100771
User avatar
RequiemLux
Mangler
463 | 67
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Muilpeer wrote:Keep getting the c0000005 error, even after trying all of this:
viewtopic.php?p=100771#p100771


Why are you using the launcher? The game + mod (no launcher nor D2SEE) runs with a clean reinstall? What OS are you using? Where did you install the game? When are you getting the error?
User avatar
Muilpeer
Monkey King
266 | 6
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
RequiemLux wrote:
Muilpeer wrote:Keep getting the c0000005 error, even after trying all of this:
viewtopic.php?p=100771#p100771


Why are you using the launcher? The game + mod (no launcher nor D2SEE) runs with a clean reinstall? What OS are you using? Where did you install the game? When are you getting the error?


Hi, the error occurs when I'm clicking 'Multiplayer' (Gateway: The Sin War).
User avatar
RequiemLux
Mangler
463 | 67
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Muilpeer wrote:Hi, the error occurs when I'm clicking 'Multiplayer' (Gateway: The Sin War).


Are you sure you tried to disable DEP completely in your OS? (is one of the points in "overall tips")
Some time ago an user solved this problem using this method. Here for reference: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5149&p=109650
User avatar
Dude Love
Grubber
328 | 16
Marco wrote:This app will eventually become the standard and mandatory way to run Median.


I may just be really late to the discussion and I acknowledge that, but is there some sort of problem with the engine overhauls that force it to lose D2SE functionality or is it just a choice?
User avatar
whist
MXL Dev
477 | 350
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active forum collaborator / developer
Dude Love wrote:I may just be really late to the discussion and I acknowledge that, but is there some sort of problem with the engine overhauls that force it to lose D2SE functionality or is it just a choice?


It's simple: D2SE sucks.

D2SE patches the game and none of what it patches is documented at all, not even a single mention of what is patched and why. This becomes problematic with MXL2017 and beyond, where it also patches the game and you get patch conflicts. It also has many undesirable "features" and has it's issues as well. MXLS isn't even able to run on D2SE anymore, it just crashes right away. Probably due to an edit done by D2SE's patches, but no documentation so I don't know :) The "upcoming" update was meant to fix quite a few of the these problems, but D2SE 2.3 has been in development for even more time than MXLS so I'm pretty sure we're not seeing a release anytime soon, if ever.

Even if we forgot the fact that D2SE sucks, we want to have the same launcher for everyone. ATM you have people using D2SE, people using the good old game.exe, people using D2Loader, etc. This makes bug reports inconsistent and makes our life harder when we get to deploy a new patch. Speaking of which, we want to automate patch updates. We want the launcher to automatically update the game when a new patch is out. There's a good percentage of bug reports and gameplay issues that stem from people not using the right patch. There's a good part of the community that don't visit forums, or that do so very rarely, and so they're not aware of new patches.

The launcher also allows us to do a few more misc but nice things, such as news directly in the launcher's main screen, so that it can reach the players that do not browse the forums regularly, eventually compile statistics about our player base, etc.
User avatar
Dude Love
Grubber
328 | 16
whist wrote:
Dude Love wrote:complaint


It's simple: D2SE sucks.

D2SE patches the game and none of what it patches is documented at all, not even a single mention of what is patched and why. This becomes problematic with MXL2017 and beyond, where it also patches the game and you get patch conflicts. It also has many undesirable "features" and has it's issues as well. MXLS isn't even able to run on D2SE anymore, it just crashes right away. Probably due to an edit done by D2SE's patches, but no documentation so I don't know :) The "upcoming" update was meant to fix quite a few of the these problems, but D2SE 2.3 has been in development for even more time than MXLS so I'm pretty sure we're not seeing a release anytime soon, if ever.

Even if we forgot the fact that D2SE sucks, we want to have the same launcher for everyone. ATM you have people using D2SE, people using the good old game.exe, people using D2Loader, etc. This makes bug reports inconsistent and makes our life harder when we get to deploy a new patch. Speaking of which, we want to automate patch updates. We want the launcher to automatically update the game when a new patch is out. There's a good percentage of bug reports and gameplay issues that stem from people not using the right patch. There's a good part of the community that don't visit forums, or that do so very rarely, and so they're not aware of new patches.

The launcher also allows us to do a few more misc but nice things, such as news directly in the launcher's main screen, so that it can reach the players that do not browse the forums regularly, eventually compile statistics about our player base, etc.


Hmmm.

I find it surprising that no one's figured out what D2SE patched by now...I guess I'm okay with dropping D2SE compatibility, then -- it's not like I play my other D2SE mods that much.

I really dig the communication you in particular have with people about Sigma's development (it's so refreshing!!), and I really dig that y'all are getting to be such good coders and shit, but I have mixed feelings about requiring everyone use an external launcher for largely bonus features like news. Dropping official launcher compatibility completely would be one thing (though I'm pretty sure it would kill mules) but I get wary with imposed extra things to jump through to play a mod for a 17 year old game. I get that the launcher is lightweight, non-invasive, ect. but it's the step of (eventually) being forced to install a new executable that installs itself over top of your D2 installation that makes it feel strange.

Median's playerbase always seems shockingly international and I don't really know how a donations-based patch server would effectively serve those who live outside of places in the US and Europe, too. It's still a 17 year old game that's perfectly serviceable offline and I would be disappointed if downloadable-on-website patches went the way of the dodo -- I'm still miffed that Blizzard is now forcing you to download patches for Warcraft III through battle.net. Of course, if you guys could charge money that would change the potential reliability of the servers, but that's obviously kind of illegal.

I dunno. I'm cognizant of the fact that this idea wasn't hatched yesterday and all I'm really doing is telling a train that I don't like the noise it makes. Just feedback/concerns, I guess.