Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Megapost incoming! :lol:

Stealthmaster wrote:I guess I'll just wait for the final release. Nevertheless, thanks, Quirinus for your work!

Not sure if you re-downloaded the installer and tried again, I'm pretty sure it will work if you do that. It would help me if you tried. :)

Talic wrote:
Marco wrote:Features:
- Installs Median on any Diablo II version.

Interesting, luckily I do read log files, and log say "Error: patch_d2.mpq doesn't exist in "Game directory"".

I thought we can install it on any version, anyway, here are some screens:
► Show Spoiler

EDIT: Works fine with glide, default settings since I just installed diablo once again just to test the launcher. :D

Marco wanted to say that it will turn any D2 version into 1.13c, and that if it's some old median or other mod version, it will offer to install MXLU XVI (aka 16.1.0), not that it will allow you to run any D2 version and any mod.

Glad to see it works. :)

@ShadowDawn:
Thanks for the PM, glad to see the game works now.

As for the glide thing, I'll check it out.

Can you open regedit, and check the registry entry for "Game.exe" in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers ? What is the value of that key?

Kyromyr wrote:Uninstalled, re-downloaded setup and getting different errors now. This appears when setup finishes if run without administrator privileges.

The unlink error no longer appears on start, but this does. Version number loads afterwards, 16.1.10 with a link to the changelog. Loading icon doesn't disappear, settings stay greyed out and there's no option to start the game.

Replacing the median patch_d2.mpq with the cLoD one made the install button appear. Patch downloaded correctly, followed by the same callback error. Gonna try reinstalling the game and see if that fixes it.

Error log (pastebin)

The first error is not important, it's probably because you reinstalled over the old launcher, and it has admin rights, but the installer doesn't, so it can't run it. If you run the launcher manually it will work. I'll fix this soon.

----- wrote:I hope you all will care about us Linux Wine users.

Error during install (after choosing directory, etc.):
https://pastebin.com/raw/56hDZSN2

After this failed install, here is the error with wine Median\ XL.exe:
https://pastebin.com/raw/gndM8LNq

BTW I follow you on Github...I imagine this is a private repo?

Never used wine, so I can't give wine support. Sorry.
Maybe I can check that after I've ironed out the beta version.

Yeah, the repo is private, at least for now.

Talic wrote:@Kyromyr

That first error is not so important imo, it "started" with the "next" .exe file after Quirinus said to re-download.

It should open that window after setup finish where you select diablo 2 game folder but instead that error shows up.

That occurs if you install median launcher outside the diablo folder, if is installed inside diablo folder all should be ok, without that error.

Yeah, something like that, as I wrote above. It remembered to run the launcher as admin from the previous installation, but if you install it in another place it, then the laucher exe doesn't have the "run as admin" flag.

Kyromyr wrote:Callback error resolved. Seems to happen when D2VidTst.exe isn't in the diablo 2 directory. Seems like everything's working now. Game runs without issue in all three video modes.

Opening and closing the settings screen eight times causes the program to soft-lock. Switching to glide has a small but noticable delay before the glide options appear. The play button has no visual feedback when pressed, and still accepts clicks while fading out.

I somehow managed to crash the program while fiddling with starting the game and closing an instance while the two-instances-only message was open, but didn't take a screenshot and can't seem to reproduce.

Edit: Can't say I'm too thrilled by it forcing the game into xp sp3 compatibility mode.

The callback error isn't a problem in itself (I just had one too many, fixed it), but what causes it. It's something with copying the D2VidTst.exe (unlink = delete), as you figured out. It should copy it to the D2 folder if it's missing, no idea why it didn't work for you. Maybe something with paths, I'll figure it out.

Yeah that soft lock is weird, I've seen it before, not sure if it's caused by the platform that's used by the launcher (in which case I can't do anything about it), or the code itself (will try to see in more detail if I can find what's causing it.

Switching to glide delay is normal. I'll try to speed up the whole launcher in the future, but it's not a priority now.

Yeah, good point about the Play button, I'll add a pressed effect.
Weird about the crash error. Anyway, the right way to open 2 instances of D2 is to just un-minimize the launcher and press play again.

The compatibility mode is useful to fix some problems. Can you tell me what do you not like about it so I can see if I can do something about it?

Segolia wrote:Oh boy, lets see how this goes on windows 10

---

Quick, easy, and absolutely zero problems. Very nice guys! I was expecting at least one error being on W10 o_o

Awesome!

Seekers wrote:Is launcher compatible with d2se? (As in, if I install it and my D2 folder has D2SE, will it not work at all or will D2SE get deleted/not work)

The launcher will replace patch_d2.mpq with the median xl one and D2 game.exe with the 1.13c version, so the only thing that will be different in D2SE is that it will launch MXL instead of cLoD if you click on cLoD in D2SE, everything else should be fine.

Edit: I think it should all work fine, D2SE has its core files separate from D2. So the launcher and D2SE should both work.

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it! :mrgreen:
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
Stealthmaster
Godsman Guard
3902 | 155
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Quirinus wrote:Not sure if you re-downloaded the installer and tried again

Yep, that's what I had done before I wrote my last post. Link gives me ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error so I downloaded it, deleting 'https://' line, could it possibly be the cause of the problem?
Kyromyr
Cog
207 | 115
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Quirinus wrote:The compatibility mode is useful to fix some problems. Can you tell me what do you not like about it so I can see if I can do something about it?

It's a preference thing; I play in windowed mode and find the light-blue win xp border distracting.
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
is this open source?
since it replaces clod mpq, will it make problems in d2se with playing other mods?
can i still use my custom font with this?
Stealthmaster
Godsman Guard
3902 | 155
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
void: thought about the same thing.

Btw, do i need to delete/uninstall anything before using the app?
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Stealthmaster wrote:
Quirinus wrote:Not sure if you re-downloaded the installer and tried again

Yep, that's what I had done before I wrote my last post. Link gives me ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error so I downloaded it, deleting 'https://' line, could it possibly be the cause of the problem?

The DL error is a separate thing from the Launcher problem. I changed the DL link from https to http so it sholud probably work normally now.

I think I might know what the problem you're having with the launcher is. Can you post a screenshot of the "Access denied." window? when does it appear, after you run what, the installer or the launcher?

Kyromyr wrote:
Quirinus wrote:The compatibility mode is useful to fix some problems. Can you tell me what do you not like about it so I can see if I can do something about it?

It's a preference thing; I play in windowed mode and find the light-blue win xp border distracting.

Fair enough, I'll see what I can do about it.

void wrote:is this open source?
since it replaces clod mpq, will it make problems in d2se with playing other mods?
can i still use my custom font with this?

It's not open source, at least for now.

I think it should all work fine, D2SE has its core files separate from D2 files. So the launcher and D2SE should both work.

if the custom font isn't in patch_d2.mpq, then yes.

Stealthmaster wrote:void: thought about the same thing.

Btw, do i need to delete/uninstall anything before using the app?

nope. unless you have some modified files other than patch_d2.mpq and game.exe that would prevent MXL from working.
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
----- wrote:I hope you all will care about us Linux Wine users.

Error during install (after choosing directory, etc.):
https://pastebin.com/raw/56hDZSN2

After this failed install, here is the error with wine Median\ XL.exe:
https://pastebin.com/raw/gndM8LNq

Been trying to get it running in Linux, too. Installed without any problems, but just can't get it to run. I thought I read awhile back the launcher was gonna be Java-based (in which case, WINE shouldn't really be a factor). If "Median XL.exe" is just a jar file with an exe wrapper, maybe we poor saps could try out a .jar version, just to see if it works. Otherwise, hopefully someone smarter than me can figure it out. :)
Dianetics
Destroyer
7 | 1
I tried it on Windows 7

There was an error when the install finished but I ignored it. Logged two games into multi and it works great.

Afterwards, I tried deleting the launcher exe and it wouldn't work. When right clicking and selecting properties it did nothing. I tried renaming the file and my computer froze up. I got a prompt to restart windows explorer and that reverted the freeze. Then I tried deleting the launcher manually through command prompt and it said it couldn't find the file after several attempts. It was only after I cleared it from recent downloads in Firefox that it finally decided to play nice. Unsure if this would happen again I downloaded the installer two more times and had no issue deleting it. Maybe this was an isolated occurrence but I figured I'd mention in case someone else had the same problem. To clear from recent downloads (Firefox) press Ctrl+J and click the clear button near the top left of the page.

The other thing I noticed is that Windows Task Manager shows three seperate processes of "Median Xl.exe *32" running simultaneously when the launcher is running. Is this normal? It wasn't causing any problems but I was just curious.

Otherwise this launcher seems awesome. Being able to run two games is definitely a quality of life boost. I've used several launchers over the years and I have high expectations for this one, even though its only in beta. I hope this convinces others with Windows 7 to try the launcher, just don't let it distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table
Zennith
Grubber
310 | 30
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Windows 10, Diablo 2 LOD 1.13, Launcher 0.2.2 ... downloaded launcher, launcher screen comes up and asks for me to click install. I install in my D2 folder which is already installed with D2SE. The Patch.mpq downloads, and I am offered a Play button. Instead of clicking play, I click on settings and the launcher window goes dark as if a screen was suppose to pop up, but it is soft-locked and I am unable to even click the X to close the launcher. I am able to move the window around however. Image

PS. After closing the launcher, reopening, clicking play (Which worked just fine), closing D2, and clicking on settings, the settings came up as it was suppose to. So no problems with the game running.

PPS. I did not change or touch or EVEN LOOK AT different than default settings after downloading the launcher in any shape way or form.

PPPS. I operate my PC at 125% desktop resolution/icon/text scaling.
Strigvir
Vampiress
38 | 1
The game hangs at start-up when I launch it in Glide mode.